Breakfast Sandwiches To Go

MeMc

Where can I go for a bacon egg and cheese on a hard roll or bagel? The only places I know of are the chains (starbucks, dunkin donuts, which are lousy) and Dupont Market on 18th next to Mandu.

Is there a deli I'm missing that has great ones? Another New Jersey friend and I have been craving them for breakfast.

A bit random, but the Cafe International in Woodley Park makes a mean breakfast sandwich. Real eggs folded over themselves and any other ingredients (meat, cheese) on a bagel, toast, english muffin, croissant. The bagels themselves aren't spectacular, but passable. One of the owners is a bit surly, but most of the staff is very nice.

Bagels Etc. on P Street in Dupont is another solid option. They also have tons of other schmear and sandwich options. Very lunch-counter style, efficient and cheap. And the bagels themselves are denser and chewier, not the puffy "bakery style" generic types.

The Supreme Court cafeteria makes them on bisquits and I don't see why they couldn't be made on something else. It opens to the public at 7:30 am. Alas, with Justice Blackmun gone, it is much rarer to spot a Supreme in line for breakfast.

Many, many, many years ago the Armands on the AU campus made amazing ones on really thick, fresh bread. No idea if they still do or if any other stores are even open for breakfast.

When I lived in Courthouse we always went to the bagel place on Wilson Blvd (right between California Tortilla and Wendy's) for breakfast sandwiches on the weekends. I think it's called Brooklyn Bagels maybe? Now I live near Bagels and Baguettes on the Hill, and while I eat at B&B every few weekends since it's so close, I would recommend the one in Courthouse to anyone who's nearby. Bacon, egg and cheese on an everything. Mmmmm.

And I know you wanted to avoid chains, but while I can't speak to the egg/bacon part of this (since I've only had it with cream cheese), the everything bagels at Cosi are actually pretty tasty!

Since you did not give a neighborhood preference - The Atrium, on School St. in SW - between 4th and 6th St. makes a great breakfast sandwich on any of a choice of breads, including bagels and hard rolls. While it has really long lunch lines, those of us consigned to work in the government hell that is SW Washington welcome the breakfast and lunch sandwiches (fresh sliced roast beef, ham and turkey everyday) and the coffee that I much prefer to Starbucks.

I third Brooklyn Bagels nasty tasty yummy sandwiches.

Booeymongers in Arlington (and... Chevy Chase?) has several yummy sandwiches - I especially favor the Buc Buc for tequila hangovers.

Henny Penny

Scrambled Eggs on a toasted, buttered bagel. $2.75

The Friss

Scrambled eggs with melted American Cheese

on a toasted, buttered bagel. $3.25

Buc Buc

Scrambled eggs with ham on a toasted, buttered

bage. $3.95

Chicken Little

Scrambled eggs with bacon and American cheese

on a toasted, buttered bagel $4.25

Cafe Right Angle, in the ground floor of the Dewberry building at 8401 Arlington Boulevard (1 traffic light west of the Beltway) has good breakfasts, including bacon, egg and cheese sandwiches. They do scramble their eggs, from what I can tell peeking through the opening between the kitchen and the counter. I've not yet had anything bad from that place, and the staff are very nice. Their carry out food is packaged to travel well, too (fries wrapped in paper, instead of styrofoam!).

I've had decent bacon, egg and cheese sandwiches from the Dominion Deli, in the Yorktowne Shopping Center. I have only gotten delivery from there, so I've not observed their cooking. I think their's are actually scrambled, too, however. Although a large part of their business is delivery, they don't seem to know how to pack food to travel. Their omlettes are extremely greasy, as I recall.

I haven't really tried any of the other breakfast offerings in Merrifield--it's all I can do to make it to work close to on time most mornings. It remains, IMO, a culinarily deprived area.

Almost any of the lunch places downtown that are also open for breakfast will be able to make you a bacon, egg and cheese sandwich. The only variable is the bagel. If they have bagels, you should be able to get the bacon, egg and cheese on a bagel. The lunch place in my office building at 17th & M could to it in a heartbeat.

Thanks, Jacques :) I should make a detour to a couple of these on my way to McLean in the am. I think half of why I'm missing breakfast sandwiches is because I have to teach by 7 and there are so few places open at 615, by me anyway.

Thanks, Jacques :) I should make a detour to a couple of these on my way to McLean in the am. I think half of why I'm missing breakfast sandwiches is because I have to teach by 7 and there are so few places open at 615, by me anyway.
Heck, if that's your problem, make them yourself. Make a bunch of bacon and keep it in the fridge, heat a skillet, put a bagel in the toaster, by the time the bagel is done you can have a scrambled egg cooked, put on a couple of slices of bacon and slap on a slice of processed American cheese food (which is what you will get in most places anyway) and voila.

I always thought that Bagels & Baguettes, located near Union Station, made one helluva egg sandwich. And the bagels they use aren't bad either, given that bagels in this area inherently suck.

I definitely think they're good, but after a head to head comparison, I'd vote for Brooklyn Bagels in Courthouse. Sometimes though it's whatever's closest!