Thanksgiving 2015 - Which Restaurants?

Simon

Is it too early to discuss good choices for restaurants open on Thanksgiving?  I just called Corduroy, and they have a three-course prix fixe for $65.

OpenTable has an extensive list of restaurants open here.

In the past, I've had good Thanksgiving dinners out at Corduroy and Vidalia (in R.J. Cooper's time).  I had a memorably bad meal a few years ago at the Oval Room, which was so dispiritingly awful and perfunctory that we skipped dessert and went to Adour for a proper meal (thankfully, there were seat available at the bar).

Any thoughts, all?

• Like 1

Your experience at Oval Room mirrors ours a couple of years ago at Bibiana (same owner). In fact, out of 3 years trying to eat out on Thanksgiving, we only had one meal that was even satisfactory, and that was at the old Bastille, where the food was delicious and conveyed the flavors of Thanksgiving on a fine-dining plate, and the service was excellent. My one experience at the new Bastille having been a disastrous (and I hope atypical) brunch, I can't say how their Thanksgiving dinner will be this year.

Bistro Bis was overcrowded, having added extra tables to accommodate the demand, and our entree orders were lost on the way to the kitchen. Bibiana was, likewise, overcrowded, with service and the kitchen both in the weeds. My entree, recommended by our server, was extraordinarily disappointing, and I'm sure that executive chef Nick Stefanelli was not in the kitchen when we were there, as I am sure he never would have sent out a plate like that. As it was, we went from being somewhat regulars at Bibiana to never returning after that dinner (our attempts to speak to management about it went unanswered).

Eating out on Thanksgiving seems to be extremely popular, and that popularity seems to overtax some otherwise good restaurants. We're back to eating at home on Thanksgiving.

Is it too early to discuss good choices for restaurants open on Thanksgiving?  I just called Corduroy, and they have a three-course prix fixe for $65.

OpenTable has an extensive list of restaurants open here.

In the past, I've had good Thanksgiving dinners out at Corduroy and Vidalia (in R.J. Cooper's time).  I had a memorably bad meal a few years ago at the Oval Room, which was so dispiritingly awful and perfunctory that we skipped dessert and went to Adour for a proper meal (thankfully, there were seat available at the bar).

Any thoughts, all?

For whatever reason I have long associated Thanksgiving with dinner in a country inn, even if the country inn was Georgetown's 1789. Decades ago I remember driving to the Penwick House in Dunkirk, MD one year, the next to the Wayside Inn in Middletown...VA.  Both were warm and welcoming:  at home with family, stone walled and wooden raftered Holiday experiences.  Exactly what I felt was appropriate on Thanksgiving.

One year we went to L'Auberge Chez Francois, which along with 1789 may be the DC area's most honored Thanksgiving destination.  I wrote about it on the "old" Chowhound.

I doubt that it has changed very much including the policy of accepting reservations one month to the day and being booked up within hours.  (Next Monday is the day.)

I am also guessing that many on Chowhound have recently left and as my wife and I looked for a home that Thanksgiving, are looking for a new home...here.

• Like 4

I'm sure that executive chef Nick Stefanelli was not in the kitchen when we were there, as I am sure he never would have sent out a plate like that. As it was, we went from being somewhat regulars at Bibiana to never returning after that dinner (our attempts to speak to management about it went unanswered).

Eating out on Thanksgiving seems to be extremely popular, and that popularity seems to overtax some otherwise good restaurants. We're back to eating at home on Thanksgiving.

It's no accident that the two better Thanksgiving meals I've had were with the chefs, Tom Power and RJ Cooper, in their respective kitchens.

• Like 2

Amoo's is having an interesting Thanksgiving Dinner (see here).

I'm not going to tweet about this because I want our regular readers to take advantage of it (remember, it's a very small restaurant).

Just to be clear--Thanksgiving themed but not on Thanksgiving; I had to check twice.

Thanksgiving Day menu at Le Vieux Logis. (Emailed to me by the restaurant. You won't find this on their website, or at least I could not find it.)

Prix Fix Menu

$52.00 PER PERSON

Appetizers

Bouchot mussels, Pamcetta, sage, garlic broth.

Roasted butternut squash soup, white truffle oil, cranberry apple chutney, pumpkinseed oil.

Roasted red and golden beet salad with field green, goat cheese, roasted hazelnut, and orange.

New Zealand venison carpaccio, beet grain mustard aioli, pickled turnip, farm kale.

Escargots de Bourgogne a l' ail et persil burgundy snails with garlic and parsley.

Traditional Caesar, romaine hearts, anchovy, garlic dressing, baguette croutons, Parmigiano-Reggiano.

Main Courses

Free range turkey duo, orange sweet potato, caramelized brussel sprout, porcini, foie gras, brioche stuffing, cranberry jam, light gravy.

Sautéed diver scallop, Jerusalem artichoke, Brussel sprout risotto.

Braised beef short ribs, parsnip potato purée, orange carotte braising jus.

Sautéed Icelandic codfish, beans, celery root purée, brussel sprout with truffle oil.

Desserts

Warm chocolate coulant, caramel sauce, vanilla ice.

Pumpkin, apple tatin with cranberry sauce, cinnamon ice cream

Crème brí»lée, vanilla beans Tahitian, hazelnut cookies.

Pear Vacherin, wine poached pear, candied ginger ice cream.

• Like 1