Good, Special Dinner for Two Old Friends - One of them Old-School Brooklyn, anti Hipster, anti Frou-Frou, Loves Authentic Places

DC in DC

If I can call on the help of the DR community twice in one month--

Husband's best friend coming into town next month and would be great for them to celebrate their big birthdays (40) with a nice dinner.  Husband's friend is old-school Brooklyn, hates hipsters, nothing frou-frou, want something authentic.  They loved Rays the Steaks, back in the day, but looking for something else and also want to be able to linger a bit.  Good beers.

Ideas include: Mintwood Place? Le Diplomate (might be too loud)?

Thanks.

Dora, you're welcome to call on the help of this community twice in one day, if you need to.

Is there a spending limit? Ray's is known for gentle pricing and very casual dress - I've had the $30, three-course bar menu at Corduroy twice in the past couple months, most recently the night of the ice storm, and one of the courses was a tremendous "faux rib-eye" that would knock your husband's socks off. Call and ask to see if that will be on the bar menu on the night you want - talk to Keith (who will probably answer), tell him you're a friend of mine, and just explain your situation, saying that I recommended the menu with that steak to you (a seafood bisque and world-class bread pudding being included in the $30 price makes it ridiculous).

If Corduroy doesn't work, let us know why so we can further hone our recommendations.

• Like 1

Husband's best friend coming into town next month and would be great for them to celebrate their big birthdays (40) with a nice dinner.  Husband's friend is old-school Brooklyn, hates hipsters, nothing frou-frou, want something authentic.  They loved Rays the Steaks, back in the day, but looking for something else and also want to be able to linger a bit.  Good beers.

Ideas include: Mintwood Place? Le Diplomate (might be too loud)?

Thanks.

The description above is the type that draws men to steak places.  They are probably all more expensive than Ray's and fancier also.  Don's suggestion above sounds like one that might work at a fraction of the price at any of the known DC steakhouses.  (Its been years but I took many clients out to dinner and their perspectives fit the description of your husband's friend.  Steakhouses always worked for them.)

I've been to the Riggsby in Dupont Circle and enjoyed it, as have some here, while others panned it.  The look is old fashioned and fits that description, and I think there are some terrific dishes and cocktails...but its also been described as hipster   (go figure).  It is not inexpensive but priced competitively as with many places in the city.  (to be honest I know some staff).

Another twist: The Saloon for half liters of German beer, followed by Izakaya Seki.

Having just spent the weekend in Brooklyn, german beer spots and izakaya will set off all sorts of hipster bells, but both are completely down-to-earth places. The Saloon owner uses his profits to fund schools in developing countries, and Seki features a father daughter duo serving Japanese.