In Search of Bars with Talented, Personable Staff

Gadarene

I just got back from a short vacation in Berlin.  While there, I discovered (again) that one of my premier pleasures in life is sitting at a bar, whiling the time away while chatting with bartenders/bar managers who (1) are friendly and charming and interesting and fun, (2) have the time and inclination to chat back, when not busy,* and (3) know their **** inside and out, serve (or recommend) consistently delicious drinks, and -- as a bonus -- are unabashed cocktail/wine/sherry/what-have-you geeks.  The kind of place where the people who work there are enthusiastic about what they do and enjoy discussing their craft -- and, here and there, parceling out complimentary tastes of cool things -- or various other topics with semi-random customers who take an interest.

There are places with people like this in D.C.: Bill and the entire bar staff at Tail Up Goat; Sean and Nate in particular at Room 11; Chantal at the Reading Room when she's not slammed; a few people at Lapis, Barcelona, Bar Pilar (although I've also had strikingly bad service here recently), and Ripple whose names now escape me; and of course Gina, Adam, Owen, and a couple of others back in the day when they were regularly behind the stick at a place I frequented.   But I'm sure I'm forgetting, overlooking, or not aware of some places that fit these criteria, so: who are the cocktailiers/bar managers/bartenders in D.C. who are most likely to enhance your bargoing experience by their combination of skills and personality?  I'm especially interested in places that (1) are in D.C. proper and not too far from public transit, since I'm thoroughly carless; or (2) I could plausibly walk into on a random night and sit down at the bar with minimal wait or advance planning (so not places like The Columbia Room, Dram & Grain, or Rose's, or The Red Hen).

Thanks. :) 

*The proviso of "when not busy" is especially salient in this city, since my sense is that the really good bars (and really good bartenders) get jam-packed here even on an average weeknight more often than certain other cities with a denser, more variegated craft bar culture,** and I'm certainly not going to be that guy who tries to make small talk when someone's got six orders to fill.

**(I probably spent about 9 hours of my 2.5 days in Berlin just hanging out at the bar of Pauly Saal chatting with the barstaff -- all three of whom were absolutely awesome, and absurdly credentialed -- on a Friday and Saturday night, and the room was never more than a third full, and for much of that time I was the only person at the bar itself.  Also great Berlin bar experiences in this vein: Rutz Weinbar and Twinpigs.)

16 minutes ago, Gadarene said:

; Chantal at the Reading Room when she's not slammed; (1) are in D.C. proper and not too far from public transit, since I'm thoroughly carless; or (2) I could plausibly walk into on a random night and sit down at the bar with minimal wait or advance planning

*The proviso of "when not busy" is especially salient in this city, since my sense is that the really good bars (and really good bartenders) get jam-packed here even on an average weeknight more often than certain other cities with a denser, more variegated craft bar culture,** and I'm certainly not going to be that guy who tries to make small talk when someone's got six orders to fill.

**(I probably spent about 9 hours of my 2.5 days in Berlin just hanging out at the bar of Pauly Saal chatting with the barstaff -- all three of whom were absolutely awesome, and absurdly credentialed -- on a Friday and Saturday night, and the room was never more than a third full, and for much of that time I was the only person at the bar itself.  Also great Berlin bar experiences in this vein: Rutz Weinbar and Twinpigs.)

You are more than aware that to receive that kind of service and conversation the bartenders must not be busy.   If they are slammed they are especially busy (now that is redundant) and have even less time.   But you know this.  And even with that if you do hit bars earlier, before happy hour...they could be very busy prepping for the evening's crowds.  Prep time is both critical, important and it makes them busy.   But you are aware of all this. 

I'm aware of grads of the bar school in my sig...who are cocktail geeks and are capable of all that...some outwardly friendlier and some where you and they will have to warm up to one another ...and if you do and if they have time...you will get that experience.   I actually think time of day (really evening is often the key here...or possibly hotel bars which could be less frantic (though I don't currently have names of those kinds of experts at hotel bars).    If not early than at the end of dinner shifts at nicer restaurants are other times when these folks might have more time for conversation.  Whether they have the depth of experience or not all of the bartenders at all of the Hank's restaurants are trained and retrained on craft and current craft trends.  Are they all conversant and knowledgeable geeks?  I wouldn't know.  But they have been steeping their bar staffs in these trends.  I suspect all the bartenders at Drink Company (Eat the Rich, Mockingbird Hill, Southern Efficiency, Columbia Room) have that knowledge....but they might very well stay very busy very late.    Actually both bartenders at Dino's (Shaw Metro) know their stuff.  They have lull times.

I'd try and find places where they have both excellent cocktail reputations and have lull times during business...then see who have personality and openness to fit your desires.

Oh...I bet SeanMike could give you names.  I'd try and get him through a dm.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Gadarene said:

I just got back from a short vacation in Berlin.  While there, I discovered (again) that one of my premier pleasures in life is sitting at a bar, whiling the time away while chatting with bartenders/bar managers who (1) are friendly and charming and interesting and fun, (2) have the time and inclination to chat back, when not busy,* and (3) know their **** inside and out, serve (or recommend) consistently delicious drinks, and -- as a bonus -- are unabashed cocktail/wine/sherry/what-have-you geeks.  The kind of place where the people who work there are enthusiastic about what they do and enjoy discussing their craft -- and, here and there, parceling out complimentary tastes of cool things -- or various other topics with semi-random customers who take an interest.

There are places with people like this in D.C.: Bill and the entire bar staff at Tail Up Goat; Sean and Nate in particular at Room 11; Chantal at the Reading Room when she's not slammed; a few people at Lapis, Barcelona, Bar Pilar (although I've also had strikingly bad service here recently), and Ripple whose names now escape me; and of course Gina, Adam, Owen, and a couple of others back in the day when they were regularly behind the stick at a place I frequented.   But I'm sure I'm forgetting, overlooking, or not aware of some places that fit these criteria, so: who are the cocktailiers/bar managers/bartenders in D.C. who are most likely to enhance your bargoing experience by their combination of skills and personality?  I'm especially interested in places that (1) are in D.C. proper and not too far from public transit, since I'm thoroughly carless; or (2) I could plausibly walk into on a random night and sit down at the bar with minimal wait or advance planning (so not places like The Columbia Room, Dram & Grain, or Rose's, or The Red Hen).

Gadarene,

You've pretty much answered your own question. To be welcomed like a guest at Cheers, where everybody knows your name, you need to be a regular, frequent the bar at off-hours, be polite and non-entitled, and tip the bartenders consistently well (remember, it's their job). If you're a good, consistent, polite customer, and show a genuine interest in people's welfare (and I'm not talking about throwing money around), I'd bet that there are dozens if not *hundreds* of bars in the area that you'd fall in love with - it's entirely up to you to create this situation, and you can start by treating the bar-backs as equals to the General Manager, getting to know them on a first-name basis, and even tipping them on occasion, or offering to buy them an after-shift drink - just be yourself, and you'll find you really don't need our help. Some people are just plain miserable, but they're the exception; not the rule, and a good establishment will be on top of things like this - spot the bad apples early, and move on. I have often lamented that because of my job, compounded by my injury, I cannot become a regular at any one bar or restaurant, and I miss out on the simple joys of having a third place where I can pop into. That said, earlier this year, I had begun to make Kinship that place for me - but the bar there is really set up to be a dining area, not somewhere you can just stroll in and have a beer on a lark. You've already named several outstanding places - now, you must simply choose one (not necessarily one of them), and walk the walk - they'll pick up on this quickly enough, no matter where you choose. I'd start by choosing one place close to where you live, and establishing a presence there, being militantly optimistic and polite - sounds so simple it's silly, but that's what will give you what you seek. You don't need to travel to Mars; remember, all Dorothy had to do was click her heels three times, and she found her home - it was right there all along, inside her own head.

27 minutes ago, DonRocks said:

Gadarene,

You've pretty much answered your own question. To be welcomed like a guest at Cheers, where everybody knows your name, you need to be a regular, frequent the bar at off-hours, be polite and non-entitled, and tip the bartenders consistently well (remember, it's their job). If you're a good, consistent, polite customer, and show a genuine interest in people's welfare (and I'm not talking about throwing money around), I'd bet that there are dozens if not *hundreds* of bars in the area that you'd fall in love with - it's entirely up to you to create this situation, and you can start by treating the bar-backs as equals to the General Manager, getting to know them on a first-name basis, and even tipping them on occasion, or offering to buy them an after-shift drink - just be yourself, and you'll find you really don't need our help. Some people are just plain miserable, but they're the exception; not the rule, and a good establishment will be on top of things like this - spot the bad apples early, and move on. I have often lamented that because of my job, compounded by my injury, I cannot become a regular at any one bar or restaurant, and I miss out on the simple joys of having a third place where I can pop into. That said, earlier this year, I had begun to make Kinship that place for me - but the bar there is really set up to be a dining area, not somewhere you can just stroll in and have a beer on a lark. You've already named several outstanding places - now, you must simply choose one (not necessarily one of them), and walk the walk - they'll pick up on this quickly enough, no matter where you choose. I'd start by choosing one place close to where you live, and establishing a presence there, being militantly optimistic and polite - sounds so simple it's silly, but that's what will give you what you seek. You don't need to travel to Mars; remember, all Dorothy had to do was click her heels three times, and she found her home - it was right there all along, inside her own head.

Well, considering that the three experiences I had in Berlin (and at Room 11 and Tail Up) happened literally the first time I ever went there, I don't think this is quite the whole answer. ;) Some bartenders are friendlier than others; some make better drinks than others; some do both, whether it's your first time or your fifteenth.

I think the notion that there are dozens of bars in the area that would offer this kind of experience is either wildly optimistic, or else I'm not doing a very good job articulating what I'm looking for.

The guy at Twinpigs in Berlin started waxing lyrical, within ten minutes of my sitting down, about a Basque sloe liqueur he had managed to procure, and its astonishing properties when paired with Heering; the folks at Pauly Bar were talking to me as if they'd known me for years after a half hour or so, telling me stories of their families while whipping up Audrey Sanders-inspired creations and debating with each other about the type of red wine that should traditionally be the float in a New York Sour.  I'm not looking for Kansas, I'm looking for Oz -- and sometimes it's not right around the corner.  (Especially when around the corner is the Raven.)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Gadarene said:

Well, considering that the three experiences I had in Berlin (and at Room 11 and Tail Up) happened literally the first time I ever went there, I don't think this is quite the whole answer. ;) Some bartenders are friendlier than others; some make better drinks than others; some do both, whether it's your first time or your fifteenth.

I think the notion that there are dozens of bars in the area that would offer this kind of experience is either wildly optimistic, or else I'm not doing a very good job articulating what I'm looking for.

I'm not looking for Kansas, I'm looking for Oz

I'm not looking for Kansas, I'm looking for Oz

That, by the way, is a great line.  ;)

Whether articulated or not, I believe you know that for which you are searching.  I know a lot of bartenders and bars.  Now more through the bar school, through many many instructors, through grads, and their employers.  Earlier I knew them through being in the industry in several ways. (but when I was in the industry it was long before the explosions in craft bartending, myriads of quality ingredients, endless craft beer possibilities, vinyards everywhere, etc.  Still the personalities are similar over time.

If I wanted to replicate those experiences you've described I'd focus on craft bars, probably those that are tied to high end dining.  I only suggest that as the similar bars that end up being more bar than restaurant will stay busier longer at the rail.  You are very conscious of the need for these bartenders to work when they are busy.  Good for you.  By example Drink Co bar/restaurants at Shaw are open till later hours on weekdays and weekends than most fine dining restaurants.  While their hours are way past my current capacity I bet they stay busier at the bar far longer than fine dining bars wherein the restaurant closes at 10 PM. 

Personality and your connection with the bartenders are the two unknowns.  Imagine one individual very open and willing to converse and one who is more reticent and an introvert. 

Not long ago I stopped at a restaurant in Arlington I enjoy and took the last seat at a bar, ordering a drink and food.  By the time I was near done the bar was mostly empty and I was able to ask him a question.  Great personality.  He shared an example of an infused alcohol he had created.  I both struck out on the taste and it wasn't my cup of tea, but we discussed the entire process of creating, testing, taking it to public, how he developed his skills and knowledge for creating drinks, etc. 

Great discussion.  We had never met before.  I had met his colleague, and had earlier learned someone else (this fellow) created the cocktail menu.   We were only able to speak when he wasn't busy.  There was no way I could have predicted his personality, conversational abilities and willingness to share or our ability to connect at all.  

So I'd focus on the quality of the menu and the bar menu, hit those places when they could be less crowded and then see if the magical interaction will occur.  At least they will have the ingredients that might spur those conversations.

Its far far easier to get to Kansas than Oz.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, DaveO said:

That, by the way, is a great line.  ;)

Whether articulated or not, I believe you know that for which you are searching.  I know a lot of bartenders and bars.  Now more through the bar school, through many many instructors, through grads, and their employers.  Earlier I knew them through being in the industry in several ways. (but when I was in the industry it was long before the explosions in craft bartending, myriads of quality ingredients, endless craft beer possibilities, vinyards everywhere, etc.  Still the personalities are similar over time.

If I wanted to replicate those experiences you've described I'd focus on craft bars, probably those that are tied to high end dining.  I only suggest that as the similar bars that end up being more bar than restaurant will stay busier longer at the rail.  You are very conscious of the need for these bartenders to work when they are busy.  Good for you.  By example Drink Co bar/restaurants at Shaw are open till later hours on weekdays and weekends than most fine dining restaurants.  While their hours are way past my current capacity I bet they stay busier at the bar far longer than fine dining bars wherein the restaurant closes at 10 PM. 

Personality and your connection with the bartenders are the two unknowns.  Imagine one individual very open and willing to converse and one who is more reticent and an introvert. 

Not long ago I stopped at a restaurant in Arlington I enjoy and took the last seat at a bar, ordering a drink and food.  By the time I was near done the bar was mostly empty and I was able to ask him a question.  Great personality.  He shared an example of an infused alcohol he had created.  I both struck out on the taste and it wasn't my cup of tea, but we discussed the entire process of creating, testing, taking it to public, how he developed his skills and knowledge for creating drinks, etc. 

Great discussion.  We had never met before.  I had met his colleague, and had earlier learned someone else (this fellow) created the cocktail menu.   We were only able to speak when he wasn't busy.  There was no way I could have predicted his personality, conversational abilities and willingness to share or our ability to connect at all.  

So I'd focus on the quality of the menu and the bar menu, hit those places when they could be less crowded and then see if the magical interaction will occur.  At least they will have the ingredients that might spur those conversations.

Its far far easier to get to Kansas than Oz.  

This is a wonderful, wonderful, wonderful post.  You've nailed it.

As for the Drink Co recommendations, I've had stellar (if not transcendental -- an admittedly high bar!) experiences at Mockingbird and am quite sad they're temporarily closed.  The folks at Eat the Rich have always been perfectly personable, though I stopped going as often once their oyster prices increased above my comfort level.  I haven't been to Southern Efficiency in a long long time, and I don't know why, and I should remedy that; their current menu looks great.  The one time I've tried to go to Columbia Room in its new location, I was told it would be an hour wait even to get into the main bar -- this was 6:30 pm on a Tuesday!  So I haven't given that another shot.  Speaking of Brown brother affiliates, I should also get back to The Left Door, which is much closer to my apartment than the things in Shaw, but the drinks were (unfortunately if understandably) eye-wateringly expensive the only time I've been, so I haven't been back.  I remember really enjoying the bartender, though.  (Speaking of that area, I also want to like 2 birds, 1 stone much more than I do, since I'm a huge Adam Bernbach fan, but a combination of pricy drinks/limited menu/sterile ambience/polite-but-not-warm barstaff keeps it from my regular rotation.)

But anyway, yes, I loved your post, and your advice feels spot-on.  We seem to be of similar temperaments; I should buy you a drink sometime!  What was the name of the restaurant in Arlington?

If it's okay with Don, I think I might use this thread from time to time as a catch-all for my positive experiences with bar staff in the D.C. area, along the lines of what I describe above.  (Maybe that merits moving it into the Beer, Wine, and Cocktails forum, though I still hold out hope that more people will be able to chime in with current gems I've missed or forgotten.)

The two women working behind the bar at Southern Efficiency last week were quite personable and knowledgeable and, if I had been in a more hospitable mood myself that day (as opposed to being humidity-sodden and generally disgruntled), would probably have been inclined to chat.  It's my secret shame that the drinks at Southern Efficiency look delicious on paper but, when transmuted to liquid form, are never quite balanced to my taste, tending more sweet than I like.  So I might not go back sometime soon, but it made me happy to encounter more people who seemed truly to enjoy their jobs and interacting with customers.

(As an aside, this is your periodical reminder that the folk at Little Serow really are sine qua non when it comes to offering interesting pairings and genuine warmth in equal measure; if only I could just sit there and work my way through all the wines on the menu...but that's what Tail Up Goat is for.)

I would definitely give Southern Efficiency another go - if Paul is there is he a guy who is really excited about cocktails, and is also a genuinely nice person.

Another way to go is a hotel bar.  I know, a bit odd, but hear me out.  When my wife and I were shopping for where to get married a few years back, we hit almost every nicer hotel in town, and generally wound up at the bar after meeting the event staff.  Hotel bartenders are used to customers who are fresh faces and more likely to be alone than many places, and they are generally very conversant.  Yeah, I'd stay away from the Holiday Inn, but a lot of the nicer hotels have pretty decent cocktail programs these days as well.

I've generally found that anyone who is good at their job is also excited about their job and will be excited to talk about it.  And talented bartenders are generally very good at small talk and making guests feel comfortable even when they have a full bar (if you walk into a place that has 10 slips on the counter and no service bartender, this isn't your bar).  Hell, just look at Ebbitt - those bars are consistently slammed, but they hire a really solid staff and they never seem that underwater.

Happy hunting

7 hours ago, Gadarene said:

If it's okay with Don, I think I might use this thread from time to time as a catch-all for my positive experiences with bar staff in the D.C. area, along the lines of what I describe above.  (Maybe that merits moving it into the Beer, Wine, and Cocktails forum, though I still hold out hope that more people will be able to chime in with current gems I've missed or forgotten.)

The two women working behind the bar at Southern Efficiency last week were quite personable and knowledgeable and, if I had been in a more hospitable mood myself that day (as opposed to being humidity-sodden and generally disgruntled), would probably have been inclined to chat.  It's my secret shame that the drinks at Southern Efficiency look delicious on paper but, when transmuted to liquid form, are never quite balanced to my taste, tending more sweet than I like.  So I might not go back sometime soon, but it made me happy to encounter more people who seemed truly to enjoy their jobs and interacting with customers.

(As an aside, this is your periodical reminder that the folk at Little Serow really are sine qua non when it comes to offering interesting pairings and genuine warmth in equal measure; if only I could just sit there and work my way through all the wines on the menu...but that's what Tail Up Goat is for.)

7 hours ago, genericeric said:

I would definitely give Southern Efficiency another go - if Paul is there is he a guy who is really excited about cocktails, and is also a genuinely nice person.

Another way to go is a hotel bar.  I know, a bit odd, but hear me out.  When my wife and I were shopping for where to get married a few years back, we hit almost every nicer hotel in town, and generally wound up at the bar after meeting the event staff.  Hotel bartenders are used to customers who are fresh faces and more likely to be alone than many places, and they are generally very conversant.  Yeah, I'd stay away from the Holiday Inn, but a lot of the nicer hotels have pretty decent cocktail programs these days as well.

I've generally found that anyone who is good at their job is also excited about their job and will be excited to talk about it.  And talented bartenders are generally very good at small talk and making guests feel comfortable even when they have a full bar (if you walk into a place that has 10 slips on the counter and no service bartender, this isn't your bar).  Hell, just look at Ebbitt - those bars are consistently slammed, but they hire a really solid staff and they never seem that underwater.

Happy hunting

If those two women were that nice I'd also reference the night of the week, as most places like that will have their staff work regular shifts.  I've also found Paul to be very knowledgeable and nice. 

7 hours ago, genericeric said:

Happy hunting

I think the point about hotel bars is right on, and it's probably not a coincidence that I've had so many good experiences as a tourist in other cities, because a talented bartender is adept at making people feel welcome, and someone being new to town and interested in hearing local recommendations about what the city has to offer is a great jumping off point for a memorable and positive interaction.

Thanks also to you and DaveO for the tip about Paul at Southern Efficiency; I'll certainly go back on some slower weeknight and see if he's working.  I just want to like the drinks a little more!

6 hours ago, DaveO said:

If those two women were that nice I'd also reference the night of the week, as most places like that will have their staff work regular shifts.  I've also found Paul to be very knowledgeable and nice. 

Almost forgot; this is a good point.  I believe it was last Thursday around 7 pm.

This is going to sound super negative but I would be excited about a bartender who greeted me within 10 minutes of arrival, served me food and drinks within a reasonable time and didn't forget an order or spill something.   The notion of having that plus a great personality and knowledge is so far from reality I cannot even dream of it.

• Like 1

On 8/10/2016 at 5:38 AM, Gadarene said:

The guy at Twinpigs in Berlin started waxing lyrical, within ten minutes of my sitting down, about a Basque sloe liqueur he had managed to procure, and its astonishing properties when paired with Heering; the folks at Pauly Bar were talking to me as if they'd known me for years after a half hour or so, telling me stories of their families while whipping up Audrey Sanders-inspired creations and debating with each other about the type of red wine that should traditionally be the float in a New York Sour.

I feel like a jerk, but really, this comparison is unfair.  U.S. bartenders work for a salary + tips.  This is not the case in Germany, where there is a much higher minimum wage.  The places that operate like Twinpigs or the like in the United States will always be the exception.  And that will mean having exceptional leadership.

15 hours ago, Gadarene said:

Shouldn't working for tips make it more likely that a bartender would want to be personable and provide a memorable experience, though?

A smart quality bartender will provide all that regardless of compensation method. Savvy management will enhance training and improve the performance