Suggestions for a Long, Hamiltonian Weekend in NYC

LauraB

MrB and I will be spending a long weekend in NYC in July.  We used to go to NY fairly frequently, but haven't been in a number of years, so we're not up-to-date on restaurants.  Looking for dinner, lunch and brunch suggestions for casual places as opposed to fancy. Preference for restaurants that take reservations. We'll be staying in Midtown.  Would appreciate your suggestions. Thanks!

Midtown is tough, but two restaurants in NoMad that were good last month - NoMad restaurant in the NoMad hotel, and La Pecora Bianca at 26th and Broadway.  There's another thread on NoMad - La Pecora Bianca was a solid, straightforward italian restaurant.  Excellent pastas, relatively accessible.  Not anything revelatory, but a really solid meal.  Both are semi casual and both, I believe, take reservations, though we were able to walk into LPB and grab a bar seat without issue.

Brunch: Charlie Bird

Dinner: Rotisserie Georgette or Peasant

Lunch: JG Melon

I realize that these recommendations are all over the city - are you staying in Midtown West or East, and do you have a preference for a side of town? Happy to provide more options.

4 hours ago, Keithstg said:

I realize that these recommendations are all over the city - are you staying in Midtown West or East, and do you have a preference for a side of town? Happy to provide more options.

Keith, thanks so much.  We are staying at the Hilton on 6th Ave between 53rd and 54th.  On Saturday night (8:00 pm) we have tickets to see Hamilton at the Richard Rodgers theater on 46th between 7th & 8th Aves. We're arriving Friday morning and leaving Monday evening.  Hope to go to MOMA. Other than that, our schedule is open. When I say casual, I don't mean flip-flops and T-shirts, I mean something a little less fancy/expensive than Eleven Madison Park -- although, on our last visit to EMP we saw a guest wearing a sweatsuit.  

22 minutes ago, LauraB said:

Keith, thanks so much.  We are staying at the Hilton on 6th Ave between 53rd and 54th.  On Saturday night (8:00 pm) we have tickets to see Hamilton at the Richard Rodgers theater on 46th between 7th & 8th Aves. We're arriving Friday morning and leaving Monday evening.  Hope to go to MOMA. Other than that, our schedule is open. When I say casual, I don't mean flip-flops and T-shirts, I mean something a little less fancy/expensive than Eleven Madison Park -- although, on our last visit to EMP we saw a guest wearing a sweatsuit.  

Nice! When I went to see Hamilton we had a very nice meal at La Masseria, which is basically around the corner. We went after the show, but they do pre-theater as well. Exceptional service.

If you are going to be at MOMA I also recommend The Modern or The Bar Room at the Modern.

Should you want to walk down a few blocks and head east a bit you might enjoy the Lobster Club.

• Like 1

On 4/25/2018 at 8:07 PM, LauraB said:

MrB and I will be spending a long weekend in NYC in July.  We used to go to NY fairly frequently, but haven't been in a number of years, so we're not up-to-date on restaurants.  Looking for dinner, lunch and brunch suggestions for casual places as opposed to fancy. Preference for restaurants that take reservations. We'll be staying in Midtown.  Would appreciate your suggestions. Thanks!

Note also booklovingbabe's thread from last November.

• Like 1

Really like Casellula at 52nd and 9th Avenue (I worked at 50th and 6th and lived at 46th and 10th) for cheese, wine, and solid food as well.  I could see doing a boozy lunch there or a pre-theater dinner might be perfect.

• Like 1

Midtown is a tourist-hell dead zone, especially on weekends. My suggestion is to focus on points south where there is more interesting stuff happening from a dining and city wandering perspective.

Some other recommendations:

Gloria (https://www.gloria-nyc.com/)  W. 53rd btwn 9th and 10th is one of our favorite places right now. It is the tiny, quiet neighborhood gem that you dream of in Manhattan. The food is excellent and they have a well-curated natural focused wine-list. The menu and wine list is comfortably priced.  

Simon & the Whale or Studio in the Freehand Hotel E. 23rd & Lex --> super trendy right now. Studio does all-day dining and excellent brunch. 

Atla W. 3rd & Lafayette --> Another all-day dining spot. If you go at early brunch on a weekend or breakfast on a weekday there is no challenge getting a table , though they do also take reservations.

I live and work in Nomad and agree with the Nomad hotel recommendation. I'm not a fan of Pecora Bianca, personally. The Quality Eats that just opened in the neighborhood is very good and has a really approachable menu and cool ambiance. Vini e Fritti, Marta, and Cafe Marcchio are also right near by and very on trend. 

Other cool places worth considering: Nur, Union Square Cafe (a classic), Wildair, Contra, Atoboy, Prune, Olmsted (Brooklyn)

• Like 3

I’ll forego my usual pitch for Brooklyn & throw out some additional ideas for midtownish places.  Keens is our favorite steak house.  Great rooms, old Irish atmosphere that’s charming & lamb/“mutton” as well as prime rib & all cuts of beef.  We also really like Gramercy (both rooms).  And, although the space isn’t exactly charming, we love the food at Aquavit.  If you want very good Szechuan without trekking out of Manhattan, Lan Sheng is the real deal.

• Like 2