Sweet Fire Donna's, Barbecue and Beer on John Carlyle and Ballenger Street in West Old Town

I was surprised there wasn't a thread on Sweet Fire Donna's.

Hours: 

Walk-up Counter:
Sunday - Saturday 11am - 10pm

Bar:
Sunday - Thursday  11am - 12am
Friday & Saturday 11:00am - 1:00am

Late Night Bar Menu:
Sunday - Saturday 10:00pm - close

Online Ordering Available.  This place was humming for lunch with lots of take-out and eat in orders, luckily tables opened up quickly as it isn't huge inside.  I had the Carolina chopped pork sandwich with coleslaw.  I thought it was pretty good for NC pulled pork.  Vinegar sauce was good, pork was chopped, but still had some texture.  Hubby might even find it acceptable, it was good enough I would take him to try it.  I also had a free side (note the word of the day on FB or Twitter) of skin on potato salad that I thought was good, it had a little pepper in it and wasn't too heavily dressed, although definitely there.  Anyway, parking over in that area isn't the easiest, but I got a street space not too far away during lunch hour, so I was happy with myself.

• Thanks 1

SFD is owned by the same folks (mainly Mango Mike, I guess) who own Pork Barrel BBQ in Del Ray.  I understood that, initially, it would be the same BBQ in both places, but I am not sure that this was or continues to be the case.  I have had their sausage and chicken gumbo (listed as a special on a sign at the cash register, but seemingly always available) several times, and it hasn't disappointed yet. 

On 6/28/2018 at 2:29 PM, ktmoomau said:

I am not sure, it tasted somewhat different to me, but maybe it was the sauce?  I have thought PBBBQ was a little sweeter.  Definitely same owner though.

When they first opened they said it was the same meats as a Pork Barrel, but different sauces. Never been to Pork Barrel myself, so I can't compare.

I've found the chopped pork to be the most consistent meat at Sweet Fire Donna's--the brisket, pulled pork, and ribs can all be good on their day, but can also be dry and bland-ish. Overall it's been a great place to have in the neighborhood.

Same people also own Tequila & Taco which opened next door at the beginning of May, and maybe their eternally delayed Whiskey & Oyster on John Carlyle Square will one day come to fruition...

On 6/28/2018 at 1:47 PM, JBag57 said:

SFD is owned by the same folks (mainly Mango Mike, I guess) who own Pork Barrel BBQ in Del Ray.  I understood that, initially, it would be the same BBQ in both places, but I am not sure that this was or continues to be the case.  I have had their sausage and chicken gumbo (listed as a special on a sign at the cash register, but seemingly always available) several times, and it hasn't disappointed yet. 

Thanks for this info. I didn’t know the connection. We just had SFD’s delivered last night! I was thinking then that I might prefer driving to PBBBQ for take out. I have had a sense that I preferred  PBBBQ  to SFD. After sampling the sauces last night, they seem similar, but my recollection is that PB has the edge. At least in my memory. I could be completely wrong. Both are very good though.