leleboo

What Are Your Kids Eating Tonight?

On 11/16/2018 at 5:48 PM, NolaCaine said:

Cold plate. Stuff in the fridge. Cold. 

I think my kids had this for lunch three times last week. 

Apparently, I starved the kids yesterday because they at dinner so fast, they forgot to complain. Thank you Trader Joe's for catering: shumai, fried rice with extra shrimp and peas added, and steamed green beans.

• Haha 1

The big one had eggplant parm last night! The little did not, with projectile vengeance. The big was delighted that the dish counts as a vegetable and so gleefully requested it for breakfast this morning to get his daily veg allotment out of the way early.* I'll take it!

*We know that mandating veg and fruit to earn treats is not ideal, but it's working for now with 95% less daily negotiating so the tactic has been completely sanity-saving. The Satter method of dividing food responsibility cut down the negotiating but had us genuinely worried about malnutrition for a bit, so we built on it by adding incentive (yup, married to an economist) for him to make better-for-our-peace-of-mind choices. Yes, he tried right away to earn extra treats by eating more servings of fruit and veg but we shut that down hard and now he sort of understands step functions. I don't include this longer-than-original-post aside because I think DR-ers would be mean, but to show how we are dealing with our our more rational picky kid in case someone else is having a similar issue. The little is still a processed food monster that isn't shy about throwing food or going hungry. Sigh. I welcome any and all ideas for that one.

Tonight - pasta with margarine and salt, steamed broccoli and whole foods fish sticks. At least they eat fish in some form. For the umpteeth time will try to entice them with our salmon dish - I mean it is yummy and pink (my girls like pink), but I'm not that hopeful.  

Lately my older one 10 is constantly asking and even day dreaming about dessert - which she gets almost daily. We walked past an ice cream shop yesterday, which got her started listing all of the treats she would love to eat: ice cream, cookies, brownies, cake, many varieties of candy, etc. A literal 5 minutes later, she turns and says so what is it going to be? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/19/2018 at 2:04 PM, Sundae in the Park said:

*We know that mandating veg and fruit to earn treats is not ideal, but it's working for now with 95% less daily negotiating so the tactic has been completely sanity-saving. The Satter method of dividing food responsibility cut down the negotiating but had us genuinely worried about malnutrition for a bit, so we built on it by adding incentive (yup, married to an economist) for him to make better-for-our-peace-of-mind choices. Yes, he tried right away to earn extra treats by eating more servings of fruit and veg but we shut that down hard and now he sort of understands step functions. I don't include this longer-than-original-post aside because I think DR-ers would be mean, but to show how we are dealing with our our more rational picky kid in case someone else is having a similar issue. The little is still a processed food monster that isn't shy about throwing food or going hungry. Sigh. I welcome any and all ideas for that one.

I actually totally think this is a great approach. As kids get older and can understand nutrition, I think mandating "nutritious" foods -- even if it requires a small incentive -- in the long run makes them more mindful, balanced eaters. I'm a fan of Satter as well, but I do think at some point you're actually doing your parental duty by saying, "You can't live your entire life avoiding the vegetables on the plate" (well, ok, technically you could, but it's a wickedly bad idea). It's vastly different from requiring a child to clean their plate of a food they abhor or using the withholding of treats as a punishment.

For your little one -- how old again? If under kindergarten age, I'd probably just stick with what works for now. Logic about nutrition isn't going to help. Include whatever non-processed foods s/he WILL eat with most meals, and maybe start to increase the proportion of those to the less desirable foodstuffs. My littler one is a much less balanced/adventurous eater than her big sister, but there's only so far I can go, especially since she's the kid who gets hangry and has endless meltdowns in that case, so there's got to be *something* she'll eat or we're all in for misery. 

Tonight the kids ate leftover mushu pork*, with a side of supermarket sushi**, which I also had, and yes we are done with dinner at 5:35pm, because TIRED. 

*We have epically mediocre Chinese takeout up here. I'm seriously bummed.

**Wegmans does a decent job on the supermarket sushi. I prefer our local place, but I'm solo-parenting after the holiday weekend -- hubs has a work trip -- and I couldn't be arsed to do separate stops with two small humans in tow. 

I think I’ve mentioned the turkey pumpkin pasta sauce before...well I made it into a lasagna, with some spinach for good measure. My kids ate like food was going out of style. 

• Like 1

Ledo's cheese pizza, green beans and left over home made gingerbread cookies. It's a Monday before the holidays. 

Potato and leek soup with rosemary/olive oil bread. He didn't want to try the soup at first, but after he did, he was cramming leeks into his mouth.

• Like 1

A banana and an apple last night for the 4-year-old. Sigh. She's all over the place with dinner. Sometimes she'll eat what we're eating and sometimes not. There are a few dinners she's almost guaranteed to eat, but most of our dinners are crap shoots. She'd eaten last night's dinner (Ground Turkey with Potatoes and Peas) in the past without resistance. Not so much last night.

3 hours ago, zgast said:

Cross-cultural dining.

I'm remembering that one!

Available/offered to eat for the past two nights: manicotti, sausages, assorted cut fruit, roasted asparagus, and sauteed eggplant and peppers. The Big has eaten sausages with white rice dug out from the fridge and the Little has only eaten sausages. Before that we had some lovely homemade chicken tenders that both enthusiastically scarfed for dinner and then refused completely the next day. By the way, while both kids enjoyed the Costco dumplings mightily while we were in the store, they won't touch them at home. I'm somewhat flattered that my homemade dumplings are acceptable and also kind of furious.

Lee, the Big kid just turned 4 and the Little kid is just 1.5, so I don't really expect too much out of either of them (though I dearly miss when #1 would eat anything we gave him, but that has been done for over a year and his formerly wide palate is re-emerging only incrementally). Giving the Big the choice to earn his treats has been less effective during these holidays, as treats are here and there and everywhere and we have been quite indulgent, but has been moderately successful in getting him to revisit the least challenging fruits and vegetables (mostly apples, bananas, pears, and cucumbers). One upside of our method seems to be that he likes treats, but doesn't feel any desperation towards them, as minimum treat attainment is entirely within his control. We're still working on his Halloween candy, which he is happy to share.  This is so different from my own childhood, in which sugary treats were generally banned, and I had already begun filching/hoarding sweets by age 4. While I'm sure a lot of it has to do with our kid's personality, it is a much preferable state of affairs.  As for the Little, we just feed him whatever he will take and try to remove the refused food before it flies through the air.

• Thanks 1

After two weeks of nonstop whining and bickering, I gave up on self-respect at the store today. Hence, my kids are eating noodles shaped like princess gowns, castles, and crowns. At least it’s covered in spinach and vegetable marinara.  🤷‍♀️

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Boy - English muffin pizzas. Don’t feel like arguing.

Girl - Thai food w us. From where should we order in Falls Church? We usually do Sweet Rice. It’s fine....

3 minutes ago, stevem said:

Don’t feel like arguing.

This pretty much sums up my entire state of being right now. I hate winter break. #sendwine

• Like 2

Just now, stevem said:

We went back last Wednesday.  This plus furlough = High cranky factor.

Dude, I don’t blame you! My big went back Wednesday and then my parents showed up as a surprise for my birthday, so she took of Friday to be with them. My little wasn’t due back til tomorrow so that was going to be a mess regardless. Hubby is still active duty so he’s not furloughed, but we know too many people who are to feel good about it. 

4 minutes ago, stevem said:

We went back last Wednesday.  This plus furlough = High cranky factor.

Try being a government contractor and not getting back-paid (Dec 5, 1995 -  Jan 6, 1996). 😠

• Sad 2

I am EXTREMELY sympathetic to contractors that won’t get back pay, especially to the lower-wage workers.

Blessing and good luck to all the furloughed workers, workers without pay, and most of all, the contractors who almost certainly won't get paid. 

We've all been cranky and picky coming off various illnesses, but we got a family hit yesterday with chicken tikka masala curry and rice.  Everybody ate (at least some of) the same thing, so we're taking that as a big win.

• Like 1