Help with Hosting: A topic for party planners and hosts.

ktmoomau

I couldn't find a general thread on party planning, so I decided to start one.  I saw some specific types of parties, but none fit the bill for this one, and I thought a general topic might get posts as many people here do a lot of general hosting.

My specific quest right now: I am hosting a wine and cheese tasting by the Cheese Monster.  I wanted to have some snacks to go with said tasting after the seated tasting/learning session that would go well with cheese and enhance the experience.  But I didn't want things with more cheese, which rules out a lot of my go-to party snacks.  I would prefer the items to be make ahead (although I can also pick up some things).  Things I already have crackers, salami, spinach and artichoke dip.  But I would like to make a few more substantial snacks.

38 minutes ago, ktmoomau said:

I am hosting a wine and cheese tasting by the Cheese Monster

Oh my goodness! I've been thinking about doing this! I'm VERY interested to know about your planning and how your gathering goes. (Can I come? Just kidding.)

6 minutes ago, dracisk said:

Oh my goodness! I've been thinking about doing this! I'm VERY interested to know about your planning and how your gathering goes. (Can I come? Just kidding.)

It's a social event/fundraiser for the Junior Friends, and if I didn't think it might already be filled (as it is sit down and I only have so much space in my first floor), I would totally invite you!!  But I will definitely let you know how it goes!  

• Thanks 1

Is it a meal or just a cocktail party?  Even though they are not necessarily individually substantial, adding nuts (glazed or spicy), olives, fruits, and dark chocolate would round out a nice list of one-handed snacky options.  Maybe add another dip or two with bread/baguette slices, and/or a satay?  It might also depend on the wine theme. For a real meal you could lean towards more dinner dish-type options like casseroles, sandwiches/sliders, or meat/bread rolls.

17 hours ago, ktmoomau said:

I couldn't find a general thread on party planning, so I decided to start one.  I saw some specific types of parties, but none fit the bill for this one, and I thought a general topic might get posts as many people here do a lot of general hosting.

My specific quest right now: I am hosting a wine and cheese tasting by the Cheese Monster.  I wanted to have some snacks to go with said tasting after the seated tasting/learning session that would go well with cheese and enhance the experience.  But I didn't want things with more cheese, which rules out a lot of my go-to party snacks.  I would prefer the items to be make ahead (although I can also pick up some things).  Things I already have crackers, salami, spinach and artichoke dip.  But I would like to make a few more substantial snacks.

How about an array of pickled veggies, pickled eggs, honeys , whipped butters  and/or  an assortment of quickbreads( both ranging from sweet to savory)

So we will have a seated tasting class with cheese and wine pairings first.  And then we will have a board too for mingling after- so yes, I think I will have some of those things, but I always have gherkins, fresh and dried fruit and more nuts on hand just in case.  I just wanted some snacks as even though this is more a cocktail party, I am sure most the ladies won't have eaten and likely won't eat after.

The social chair is unfortunately furloughed and has some extra time, so she said she would make a vegetable tray and ham rolls. I think chicken satay is a great idea, and vegetarian mini-quiche.  I might see if someone on the hospitality committee has one of those mini fondue pots for dark chocolate and fruit for dessert. If not I will have some dark chocolates too.