Sushi in DC - Not Too Expensive for Everyday Dining

Marty L.

Anyone have a place they swear by in the District itself that's roughly comparable, in price and quality, to Takumi?  The sushi version of Seki, say?  (I know some of you think the omakase at Ogawa is excellent, but because of the $$, I'd only go there for special occasions.  Same w/Taro's omakase.)

Happy hour at Taro fits the bill, obviously, but that requires advance planning and a wait in line. 

How's the new, Chinatown location of Sushi Capitol?  I haven't been to Nama or Kaz in a long time.  Recent reports?  Gakyu?  Perry's, even?  Others?

I enjoyed momoyama and it was not very expensive, but it's been several years since I've been over there. gakyu was completely underwhelming and expensive at lunch. I hear that their omakase is good, but i can't say that i've been inspired to try it. i'm sure the sushi at nakazawa is excellent if expensive, but I refuse to go.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, turbogrrl said:

I enjoyed momoyama and it was not very expensive, but it's been several years since I've been over there. gakyu was completely underwhelming and expensive at lunch. I hear that their omakase is good, but i can't say that i've been inspired to try it. i'm sure the sushi at nakazawa is excellent if expensive, but I refuse to go.

Agree with @turbogrrl's assessment of Gakyu. @MichaelBDC and I went there for dinner with friends and it was indeed expensive and underwhelming. We later took the same friends to the Chinatown location of Sushi Capitol and we all loved it.

Living two blocks away, we are frequent visitors of Sushi Capitol in Chinatown but we only do omakase. We tried to go this past Friday but it was packed so be sure to make reservations if your heart is set on Sushi Capitol. IMHO, the Chinatown location is a bit better than the Capitol Hill location where we have experienced slow service and just average nigiri. But that doesn't stop me from stopping by the Capitol Hill spot when looking to treat myself for lunch. 

Nama is fine but we still prefer Capitol.

FWIW, Washingtonian has recommended Rakuya in Dupont and Sushi Hachi on Capitol Hill for solid sushi that doesn't break the bank, but I have never been. 

• Like 2

A few things can make Kaz easier on the wallet. They participate in Groupon+, have the Fivestars discount program, and also Mileage Plus dining. All these can be done concurrently so you get 10% off through groupon+, 5 miles/dollar for MPDining, and $20 off after spending $300 through Fivestars.com.

• Thanks 1

I haven't been here in probably fifteen years, but Sushi Aoi (by the old Greyhound Bus Terminal) used to have dollar sushi at happy hour, and the quality was on a par with Kotobuki (I emphasize, this was in the mid-2000s).

A reminder that in cases like this, it's a good idea to click on the Sushi tag, and flip through the pages - we've covered most every sushi restaurant in DC, and it's a good place to start your quest.