Really Nice, Upscale Takeout Wanted for the Evening of Our Anniversary, Thu, 03/26/20 (Love in the Time of COVID-19)

saf

Hey folks, I'm looking for thoughts on nice places that are doing takeout.

Thursday is our anniversary. I had a plan! Kusuma exhibit at the Hirshhorn. Nice lunch somewhere, probably the bar at Central.  Building museum for the afternoon. Then a good place to sit at a bar and watch opening day baseball with dinner.

Clearly, this is not happening. Not any of it. At least, not this week.

We could make a nice dinner, but we are doing an awful lot of cooking at home, and miss eating out already.

So, thoughts? We live in Petworth.  I would prefer to keep it in the city, or at least not too inconvenient from here. Pickup is probably better than delivery.  I don't eat seafood, but he does.

13 hours ago, saf said:

Hey folks, I'm looking for thoughts on nice places that are doing takeout.

Thursday is our anniversary. I had a plan! Kusuma exhibit at the Hirshhorn. Nice lunch somewhere, probably the bar at Central.  Building museum for the afternoon. Then a good place to sit at a bar and watch opening day baseball with dinner.

Clearly, this is not happening. Not any of it. At least, not this week.

We could make a nice dinner, but we are doing an awful lot of cooking at home, and miss eating out already.

So, thoughts? We live in Petworth.  I would prefer to keep it in the city, or at least not too inconvenient from here. Pickup is probably better than delivery.  I don't eat seafood, but he does.

I had takeout from Convivial two nights ago that was really good. Kinship is offering their famed roast chicken (!), Komi is doing Happy Gyro and it's terrific (I bought two bottles of Moschofilero white wine and they were worth getting). Reverie in Georgetown is offering their duck for two.

Washingtonian has compiled a list which touches on these and more.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DonRocks said:

I had takeout from Convivial two nights ago that was really good. Kinship is offering their famed roast chicken (!), Komi is doing Happy Gyro and it's terrific (I bought two bottles of Moschofilero white wine and they were worth getting). Reverie in Georgetown is offering their duck for two.

Washingtonian has compiled a list which touches on these and more.

Don:  How does one choose the bottles at Happy Gyro?  (Or is the idea to leave yourself in their hands?)

6 minutes ago, Marty L. said:

Don:  How does one choose the bottles at Happy Gyro?  (Or is the idea to leave yourself in their hands?)

When you go through the ordering process, you choose them. There are four categories (I'm going from memory): House White, House Red, Baller White, and Baller Red. I think the first two are around $37 and the last two are around $70. The House White was a Moschofilero, and is worthy of your consumer dollar. It will be obvious what to do as you're clicking through.

Also, if you call the restaurant, they'll answer - Anne Marler happened to pick up when I called with some questions, and thankfully urged me to try the cheeseburgers. Kyle Wilson also ran my order out to the car - you can put a tip on your card during the ordering process as well, so the actual pick-up only takes a few seconds.

• Like 1

Thank you all!

I posted this after checking Kinship and finding them sold out. Apparently, folks cancelled. I managed to get a dinner pickup slot from Kinship tonight! So, chicken, fizzy wine, and cookies. My husband is so excited. Roast chicken is his favorite meal, and this is his favorite roast chicken! Sadly, bread was sold out, but I can find something for that. My favorite bakery is closed for now, but maybe something else. Or maybe I will make parker house rolls this afternoon. Can't compete with theirs though!

I'll be using these other ideas too. I fear a long time without restaurant meals.

1 hour ago, saf said:

Thank you all!

I posted this after checking Kinship and finding them sold out. Apparently, folks cancelled. I managed to get a dinner pickup slot from Kinship tonight! So, chicken, fizzy wine, and cookies. My husband is so excited. Roast chicken is his favorite meal, and this is his favorite roast chicken! Sadly, bread was sold out, but I can find something for that. My favorite bakery is closed for now, but maybe something else. Or maybe I will make parker house rolls this afternoon. Can't compete with theirs though!

I'll be using these other ideas too. I fear a long time without restaurant meals.

Just to let people know, I got the last reservation for Friday at Kinship, and (if I remember) there was only 1 left for Saturday, so move quickly if you want it.

Sarah, if you order from Convivial, get the vegetarian Porridge and keep it for lunch the next day (you can leave it out overnight). It microwaves perfectly, and is surprisingly great - you'll love it. It's a hearty portion, and if you prefer small lunches, it's enough for two. BTW, Cedric himself ran the order our, and we chatted for a minute - he said he'd *really* appreciate any-and-all business he gets from this website. He was in good spirits, and seemed happy to be cooking for people.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, saf said:

OK, if you order from Kinship, get the cookies. Oh my god, get the cookies.

Which? There was no bread available for tomorrow (or Saturday), but I vaguely remember chocolate chip, and some other type of cookies. I also ordered Jambalaya for lunch the next day. BTW, it isn't impossible that even though they're listed as "sold out," they might have some Beef Stroganoff left for Friday (don't count on this, but it might be worth a call - I got the impression they might not have sold out Thursday's, and that's a dish that keeps beautifully for a day (improves, actually)).

Sarah, let us know how the chicken was - I'll be picking up mine in eleven hours.

7 hours ago, Ericandblueboy said:

Same request except for McLean area.  Some finer dining options that I know of are Aracosia and Clarity.  Any really good restaurant slipping my mind?

ETA 2941 does take-out.

Amoo's is doing carryout also.

11 hours ago, DonRocks said:

Which? There was no bread available for tomorrow (or Saturday), but I vaguely remember chocolate chip, and some other type of cookies. 

Sarah, let us know how the chicken was - I'll be picking up mine in eleven hours.

The chicken was as amazing as ever. The potatoes were good, as was the salad. It traveled very well, and heated back up beautifully. Unpack it as soon as you get home so the salad doesn't get too hot.

There was no bread available when I ordered either. So I made an expedition across the park to Bread Furst, and we had a nice baguette with dinner.

Ginger molasses cookies. So good. I thought I made good ginger molasses cookies. Oh, I have a new level to aspire to now.

• Like 2