Pea Pod by Giant

Woodleygrrl

I think that the best place to get groceries in this city is Pea Pod by Giant.  The stuff I get is always fresh, good selection (for staples, anyway) and they carry your shit up to your apartment.

I love that

I'd like to second your Peapod endorsement. It so much easier for me to shop online rather than with two children who talk non-stop...often starting with the phrase "I want". The $5.95 delivery fee is money well-spent when it helps to maintain my summer sanity.

Early in its existence I used Peapod and had a pretty bad experience - several items missing, several items I hadn't ordered, flaccid looking produce. And my delivery dind't show up until something like 11PM.

I still like the idea of seeing my produce and meat.

I agree. But if you need Ritz crackers, 6 two liters of diet coke, jugs of water, oatmeal, floor wax, and the 40 other things that I hate carrying up to my third floor apartment that weigh 100 pounds...I am all about the Pea Pod.

plus those teamsters are hotties

I agree.  But if you need Ritz crackers, 6 two liters of diet coke, jugs of water, oatmeal, floor wax, and the 40 other things that I hate carrying up to my third floor apartment that weigh 100 pounds...I am all about the Pea Pod.

plus those teamsters are hotties

OK, I can see the allure in that - although maybe not so much about the Teamsters.

I think that the best place to get groceries in this city is Pea Pod by Giant.  The stuff I get is always fresh, good selection (for staples, anyway) and they carry your shit up to your apartment.

I love that

I used to use a company called HomeRuns which was exactly like Peapod except there was no delivery fee. But they tanked in '01 or '02. I used to love getting my non-perishibles from them. I guess they should have charged a delivery fee. :lol:

I'd like to second your Peapod endorsement.  It so much easier for me to shop online rather than with two children who talk non-stop...often starting with the phrase "I want".  The $5.95 delivery fee is money well-spent when it helps to maintain my summer sanity.

I used them a lot when Ian was tiny. Scott traveled a great deal, and I just couldn't face the grocery store exhausted, with newborn and toddler in tow. They were reliable, and fine for the basics - at the time for me that included diapers for 2 kids.

The only time I've used Peapod was due to the winter storms earlier this year, and it worked fine. In the aftermath of the marathon snowfalls, while I still couldn't get out to drive (at least not to my comfort level) but the roads were fairly clear and people were getting out and about, I put in an order. There were heavy things I was getting low on (e.g., cat litter and laundry detergent), and I figured it was going to be some time before I could manage to get out to get them and haul them. I wasn't even able to walk over the snowbanks at the sidewalks, so trying to carry anything heavy even a short distance was a no go. I ordered other things as well since I was getting a delivery, but it was great to have someone to carry the heavy stuff.

My husband used to use it a lot, when we got married I found they often wouldn't have things like carrots and wouldn't substitute with for instance carrot sticks (whatever you call the cut carrots in bags that are everywhere now days). Or if you ordered Wonder White Bread and they were out they wouldn't send another brand of white bread (I can't even think of another brand as I don't eat that stuff, but Hubby loves it). And I got rotten produce or produce that rotted within two days I stopped and we go to Wegmans.

But it is extremely convenient, especially for things like pet food/litter, laudry deterget, lunch meat, soda, etc. You just have to be prepared every now and again to not get things you order, at least that was the case for us here in Ballston, maybe other areas are different.

We have used PeaPod a lot since our 4.5 month old daughter was born and I've been really happy with them out here in Reston. They're also really helpful for things like cases of bottled water that you don't really want to schlep into the house on a regular basis and you absolutely need to have around in this godawful heat. We ordered 10 cases with our last order because we figured we'd drink them eventually anyhow and they were on sale.

I've had good luck with the produce, but I think it also depends on the store your delivery comes from. My deliveries come from the Giant over on Elden Street in Herndon. We didn't have as much success with Safeway delivery as we did with PeaPod (even though we typically shop at Safeway) so we've stuck to PeaPod/Giant for our grocery delivery. I run to Trader Joe's for the extra items once every couple of weeks.