Chima Brazilian Steakhouse, Tysons Corner

My coworker-friend and I are haggling over where to have dinner tonight. We work by Tysons Galleria. I live in Upper NW; she's due to arrive at EyeBar for an event around 9. I'd rather not deal with parking around EyeBar.

She suggested Chima near our office, but I suspect the lack of discussion is telling. Any reports at all?

My coworker-friend and I are haggling over where to have dinner tonight. We work by Tysons Galleria. I live in Upper NW; she's due to arrive at EyeBar for an event around 9. I'd rather not deal with parking around EyeBar.

She suggested Chima near our office, but I suspect the lack of discussion is telling. Any reports at all?

It is skewered meat on a grill. As long as it is not overcooked how bad can it be? Go, enjoy, and report back.

I went there for dinner once during the soft opening several months ago. It's a Brazilian steakhouse -- the decor is more upscale than Fogo de Chao. There was a large flat TV screen in the middle of the room that you could watch from either side, and they were showing some kind of acrobatic thing like Cirque du Soleil. It was a bit distracting. The salad bar was enormous. There was a hot selection of rice, beans, some kind of stew, maybe it was feijoada, and several soups. The cold selections included smoked salmon, prosciutto, lots of different composed salads, mixed greens, fresh fruit, cheese, etc. The salad bar was a feast in itself. Throughout the meal, gauchos come around with skewers of meat -- different cuts of beef, lamb, quail, fish or shrimp (IIRC). They keep coming by your table until you turn your card over to the red side. If I recall, the meats were pretty good -- however, I had filled up on the above described salad bar extravaganza. Desserts included various kinds of pudding or custard made with papaya, mango, etc. -- Brazilian favorites, I understand.

I haven't been back because it seemed rather expensive (dinner is about $56, I believe) and I don't have such a huge appetite for meat to make it worth while.

Can't quite agree with that one. While I enjoy rodizio, I do not enjoy Fogo, for example, and do my best to avoid it. A bad churrascaria is an expensive mistake.

It is skewered meat on a grill. As long as it is not overcooked how bad can it be? Go, enjoy, and report back.

Went there once with a bunch of friends a few months back. It's more fun with more people. I had never been to a churriscuria before, but knew enough to not fill up on the salad bar, not to eat the (so I hear) rich bowl of mashed potatoes they set in front of you, and to skip the cheap cuts (chicken, etc). Not cheap, we spent a lot on caipirinias and wine, but what I had was acceptable grilled meat. They do have salmon too, and you can ask to have certain cuts sent over when the server gets a chance. Using the "go/stop" sign worked out well, and allowed me to pace myself. Not something you'd want to do all the time.

They put a scare into the Tower Club when Chima opened. It has a sister restaurant in Ft. Lauderdale, I believe. I was impressed by the salad bar -- believe it or not, I can eat there and avoid the meats. The bar has a problem with its western exposure, and brutal summer sun. Nut Tysons will be a restaurant nightmare for quite some time. The traffic snarl is already ridiculous, and any construction for the Metro will make Tysons absolutely impassable for years. I will never voluntarily choose Tysons for an evening dinner out, and I'm not alone.

My husband and I dined at Chima Brazilian tonight. Link: http://www.chima.cc/locations_detail.cfm?id=11

The total for our overindulgences came to a hefty $125.00 w/drinks and dinner for 2. I felt it was a little bit pricy but not too much so for Tyson's Corner since Ruth Chris special runs the same right now.

There were 15 different selections of meat/turkey/lamb/chicken/pork etc... and as they describe it an "excessive" (not be be confused with extensive) salad bar. They had delicious vegetable cream soup sort of a bisque and chicken noodle soup as the soup selections. They bring 4 little meat croquettes, 4 potato rolls, 2 fried plantains, 4 yukka fries and a bowl of mashed potatoes with a sprinkling of chives over it. Then the meat fest begins.... the salad bar area had different types of leaf lettuce, fresh mozzarella, brie mousse, various cheeses, beets, artichoke hearts, apple-raisin-celery "waldorf" combo, a chicken potato salad (pretty tasty!), a corn mousse thing...yes thing. black beans and some breadcrumb with bacon type spanish type side dish, hard as a rock rolls. :lol: pasta and tuna, salami, carpacchio w/capers, prosciutto, fruits and vegetables and 2 kinds of rice one with veggies and one plain steamed. I think I covered everything!!!!!

Anyhow, our waiter, he was attentive the staff was nice. I was disappointed that we were sat at the back of the room after I mentioned to the hostess that I have a bad leg and could we sit closer - there were about 12, 4 chair tables (like our table) about 10 feet from the salad bar all empty. -shrug- It worked out ok since I only went up once and the rest of the meats and goodies filled me right up anyhow. Thank god we valet parked or we would have needed a hoist to get to the car.

Do not eat before you go here you'll have no room to try at least 1 of each goodie... we were starving when we went and trust me we were ready to explode by the time we left and we both only went up 1 time! We will return here but only if they have a special or maybe during a lunchtime. I strongly advise going here I hear they have a deal during restaurant week!

Friends with a 2 year old came to visit yesterday and I thought Chima would be a quick and unfussy meal and it was. We had a 5:30 reservation and surprisingly the restaurant was not empty - other families with small children were there before us. The salad bar wasn't huge but there were some nice prosciutto, sopressata, beef carpaccio, smoked salmon, shrimp salad, etc. (in addition to greens). They also brought out some cheese puffs, meat croquets, fried bananas, and I believe fried fried yuca. Then there's the non-stop meat parade - the quality is very good although you might not always get the exact temperature you asked for. There's very little wait for meat as there are plenty of gauchos. You also get your own steak sauces at the salad bar - I tried the chimichurri, two different hot sauces, and their horseradish sauce. The drawback is food coma - I fell asleep by 9 last night only to wake up in the middle of the night. This isn't fine dining - lots of people in shorts and flip-flops (including my wife) but it's fun dining.

I've been to Chima, Fogo de Chao and Texas de Brazil, only once or twice each. If you're looking for unending quantities of middlin-quality protein, these are the places to go. I doubt that any of their meat grades above choice, but if you're looking for maximum protein for the dollar, have at it. I marginally enjoyed Chima's over the other two, but only marginally (and my sample size is small).

If you want some quality and value for your money, go to Ray's the Steaks.