Food Festivals - Local, Cultural, Religious, Street

PollyG

Is it an AYCE type of thing or buy a dozen or bucket of it at a time type of thing?

Not AYCE. They serve them raw, fried, scalded, grilled, etc. It is at the fairgrounds, and the buildings are loaded with picnic tables and condiments suited for whatever oyster dish they are serving. There is also an outdoor picnic pavilion w/ a bands.

If you are there while they are having the oyster shucking competitions, they hand out the freshly shucked oysters for free at the fence line of the arena after they are judged. They've got lots of other Southern MD favorites as well, including local stuffed ham.

My husband likes the Circle C oysters: Roast oysters round side down over a hardwood charcoal fire until they pop. Remove the top shell (watch out they're hot!) Baste with a mixture of equal parts margarine, hot sauce and chopped garlic. Wait till they sizzle. Serve warm.

EDIT: You can see the World Oyster Shucking champion in action:

http://somd.com/news/headlines/2008/8462.shtml

This weekend - way outside the beltway in St. Mary's county:

http://www.sdvfdrs.org/

3rd Annual Crab Feast

Sunday Oct. 5, noon till 5 p.m.

Social Hall at the Firehouse in Valley Lee.

All you can eat steamed crabs for $27 per person

Children 5-12 years old $10

Children under 5 years old Free,

Carry outs available - $22 a dozen

Beer and soda sold separately

There will also be hotdogs, chips and baked goods on sale.

50/50 raffle

All proceeds to benefit the Second District Volunteer Fire Department and Rescue Squad Inc.

Must be 21 to drink. ID's will be checked

I'm a sucker for "Taste of" festivals, and so, I visited the Taste of Georgetown today! It's going on until 4pm, I think, on Wisconsin Avenue, down towards Canal. For $20, you get 5 tickets or $5 for 1 ticket. Each ticket is a tasting at the restaurant's booth. There's also a $10 wine tasting option; otherwise, Safeway provided free sodas & water. I opted for the $20 "deal," so each tasting = $4 and Gebaby really enjoyed the Falafel pita wrap at Neyla, the Lobster sweet potato gratin at 1789, and a Crepe from Cafe Bonaparte. Mie n Yu had a Kobe Beef, which I heard was good, but the J Paul sliders weren't.

1789 also had an extra tasting of a pistachio-pomegranate meringue, which was good. You couldn't taste the pomegranate, but the meringue was just right.

Gorgeous day for the festival, which also had free music.

Edited for major spelling errors.

Just a reminder that this weekend is the St. Mary's County Oyster Festival. National Oyster shucking competition (professional and amatuer classes) (with free oysters served to the spectators in the stands after judging), lots of oysters of all kinds - raw, grilled, scalded (local Southern Maryland style), stewed, fried. Other vendors serving fried clams,

scallops, soft crab sandwiches, crab cakes, shrimp, fried fish, and a seafood chowder. Southern

Maryland ham, beef and chicken specialty dishes are available. Polish and Italian sausage, hamburgers,

hot-dogs, 'Old Ham' on biscuits, and, of course, stuffed ham sandwiches are also on the menu.

Volunteers from local nonprofit organizations prepare all these different seafood offerings. The festival

provides a means by which these clubs raise funds for their various charities. Beer and Maryland wine to wash it all down.

http://www.usoysterfest.com/

Bump for 2008. This weekend. http://www.usoysterfest.com/

I have been looking forward to this for weeks. Somehow I convinced my bivalve averse wife to go with me.

They'll have BBQ and SoMD style stuffed ham sandwiches for her (assuming she likes kale/cabbage and spices stuffed into ham and baked). I am bivalve adverse myself but always go for the fun. My husband loves the Circle C BBQ oysters. They'll have a tent, rather than be in one of the big fair buildings. Grown right on St. Jerome's Creek in St. Marys.

http://somd.com/news/headlines/2007/6754.shtml

They'll have BBQ and SoMD style stuffed ham sandwiches for her (assuming she likes kale/cabbage and spices stuffed into ham and baked).

She asked me about the stuffed ham and the only thing that could come to mind was the stuffed ham church dinner that went awry back in 1997, but now knowing what it is stuff with It will certainly have a strong appeal to her.

Taste of Wheaton on Sunday May 17th from 11-5. And for all you Top Chef Hooties...

This year, the Taste of Wheaton adds a unique touch to the event by presenting an Ethnic Food and Wine Tasting Pavilion consisting of three tasting tables from three regions of the world: Latin America, Asia and Europe. Bravo's 'Top Chef: New York' finalist Carla Hall will create a dish to be featured at the European tasting table. The Ethnic Food & Wine Tasting, hosted by GiraMondo Wine Adventures, will take place from 12:00 pm to 3:00 pm. Tickets will be sold in advance to the general public and limited spots will also be available on the day of the event. You must be over 21 and present a valid ID to participate. For more information on the food and wine tasting and to purchase tickets, click here.

went to a charity event on Saturday called Hungry for Music? They do a fund raiser every year to raise $ for music instructions and instruments for dissadvantage youth. The fund raiser is a crawfish boil. The event had a lot of great music and more crawfish, potato, corn and beer than you could shake a stick at. Just a fantasic event for a good cause. I also found it one of the best way to spend an afternoon.

For folks interested, their is another boil put on by LSU alumni association two weekends from now. It is without a doubt, the largest boil around DC. I think they are about 100 tickets left still. 1500 people and 15,000lbs of crawfish. It is an amazing event. www.dccrawfish.com

I have tickets for Taste on Arlington on Sunday May 17th, and you'll definitely find me at the Me Jana and Jackson's tables. I'll also be at the Asia Fiesta downtown in Penn Quarter all afternoon tomorrow, May 16th. Should be a caloric weekend.

Gotta report that Asia Fiesta was very good. Probably about a dozen or so food stands, with a nice assortment of mostly Thai food, but very good. Had the meatball skewers from Laos too. It was the first-time I ever tasted the char-grilled Thai sausage. Pad Thai was all over the place. Some cooking demonstrations, lots of martial arts demonstrations, and mediocre live music. Beer was served at the Singha beer garden in front of the live music. It was an enjoyable event, but why can't we have something like this every weekend in such an ethnically diverse area as ours? In New York, ethnic food carts surround the soccer fields every weekend.