Food Festivals - Local, Cultural, Religious, Street

PollyG

This advert appeared in the Loudon Easterner (weekly free paper) and will probably not get wider circulation:

Thai Food Festival, Sunday June 26

11 am-4pm

Thai Food (also Thai souvenirs, multi-family yard sale, show of Thai music and song by a famous singer from Thailand, Yodrak Slakjai)

Wat Yanna Rangsee Buddhist Monastery

22147 Cedar Green Road

Sterling, VA 20164

703 406 8290

Free admission and parking

For those of you unfamiliar with the Virgina 'burbs, Sterling starts about where 7 and Fairfax County Parkway intersect, and ends around Rt. 28. So it is about as far for you as Dulles would be.

I went today and will post about it later once kids are in bed.  It's pretty cool.

It is pretty cool. Perhaps most notable for me was the smells. As you move from the spice tent to the tea to the coffee, etc. It added a whole new dimension. Even the "Try Milking A Fake Cow" interactive from Horizon had a vague cow pasture scent. I hope that was on purpose and not just the dude next to me. ;)

Charlie Palmer's thing was very crowded from what I could tell. Walked by that and went to listen to Sheila Lukens, who was whipping up some kind of guacamole with shrimp. She talked about the differences between food trends (long term) and fads (short term). She laughed at the low-carb fad but praised the trend away from not putting a stick of butter in everything like years ago. Or margarine for that matter.

I didn't eat anything from the tents. Lukens said she had the grilled chicken sausage and she liked it....for whatever that's worth. Perhaps tomorrow I'll try something. I want to go listen to, and see, Melissa Kelly. She's dreamy. :lol:

Edited by CrescentFresh

As I sat on the Metro sipping :lol: my Venti half-caf Starbucks drip, I read in The Express that in light of this year's Folklife Festival, Poste is offering a five-course dinner focused on locally grown ingredients. At $70 with wine pairing, it sounds like a pretty good deal.

Seen in this week's City Paper:

"Taste of the Caribbean": A gastronomical Extravaganza"

Reggae festival (and arts/crafts, children's activities, etc) with a bunch of local Caribbean places providing food: Bamboo Grove Restaurant, Caribbean Superior Restaurant, Jamaica Sunrise Caterers, St. Mary's Grill, Spice Island Caters, Caribbean Foods Gourmet, Tropical Caterers.

Sunday, July 2rd from 2 to 9 pm. $10 for adults, kids free (doesn't give an age range).

Crossroads Entertainment Complex

4103 Baltimore Ave

Bladensburg, MD

Is it just me, or do others think that the annual barbecue festival (this weekend) sucks?  I went once.  Nothing but a marketing ploy for companies like Proctor and Gamble to give out product samples in surroundings that smell really good.

It's not just you. It sucketh.

I went to the Smithsonian Folk Life Festival on Sat., and stopped by the Oman Cafe for a yummy but small taste of a chicken and beef kabob platter for $9, served with tender and fragrant yellow rice and some yogurt dipping sauce. I was dragged away from any further food ventures, unfortunately, by friends seeking a more air-conditioned and seated environment, so we ended up at Old Ebbitt. I also stopped by the Edible School Yard, which looked a little wilted.

Once again the Fairfax Chocolate Lover's Festival arrives just when you were promising yourself that this year, you really would stick to your New Year's resolutions.

But, it's for a worthy cause, this year the Women's Center, so, what can you do?

Website gives details, map, directions, addresses of free parking places, lists vendors but no detail on what's offered.

Nota bene, to get into Old Fairfax City Hall, where the vendors set up, you will most likely have to wait outside in a line, so dress accordingly.

Nota bene, to get into Old Fairfax City Hall, where the vendors set up, you will most likely have to wait outside in a line, so dress accordingly.
If prior years are any indication, long lines and not worth the wait.

Anyone know if they have done anything to improve this?

If prior years are any indication, long lines and not worth the wait.

Anyone know if they have done anything to improve this?

Year after year of people willing to stand in line might suggest that not everybody thinks it's not worth the wait. We certainly think it's worth the wait, but can't promise that you will. It's a small festival as festivals go, just the right size for Old Town Fairfax.

Old Fairfax City Hall is an historic building and cannot be remodeled, so we just have to put up with it.

Saturday is more crowded than Sunday but more likely that the vendors will be well stocked. In previous years, we've been disappointed to see that some of the vendors even ran out on Saturday so were no-shows on Sunday.

A little late for this, but the St. Sophia's Greek festival is this weekend. That's on Massachusetts Ave. near Wisconsin Ave. Festival hours are from noon to 9 pm through tomorrow (Sunday, the 20th).
If you didn't get your Greek on at St. Sophia's, St. Katherine's Spring Greek Festival is going on this weekend. The church is located at: 3149 Glen Carlyn Rd, Falls Church, VA 22041 - near Bailey's Crossroad. They have indoor and outdoor dining (different choices at each spot) and will have music and dancing in the evenings today and tomorrow (festival started yesterday). (You can even check out the festivities via webcam at their website.)

Also going on today (June 2) is Alexandria's Armenian Festival on the Market Square from noon-6pm. Here are details from the press release:

Entertainment includes performances by the Arax Dance Ensemble, the Washington Armenian Ensemble classical instrumentalists, the Birky Family enacting Armenian folk tales, and vocalist Naira Babayan. Sevan Birky will read children’s stories.

The festival will also feature displays showcasing Armenian paintings and arts and crafts. Armenian food will be available for purchase. The food will include beef, lamb and pork kabobs, lahmajun (a Middle Eastern style gourmet pizza), dolma (stuffed vegetable dishes), pitas, chopped vegetable salad, and baklava (a layered pastry made of phyllo dough filled with chopped nuts and sweetened with syrup).

The Armenian Festival is an annual charity event that benefits Gyumri, Alexandria’s Sister City, in Armenia. Proceeds from the festival assist with the humanitarian and educational needs of Gyumri’s citizens. The City’s Department of Recreation, Parks and Cultural Activities and the Alexandria-Gyumri Sister City Committee are co-sponsoring the event.

This weekend is the 2007 National Capital Barbecue Battle. Here's the website: http://www.barbecuebattle.com/

Has anyone been in previous years? I'm wondering what kind of food vendors they have. I see that Safeway will be giving out free samples of things, but I'd like to know if I'll have more options than just waiting in endless lines among people seeking a miniscule freebie.

This weekend is the 2007 National Capital Barbecue Battle. Here's the website: http://www.barbecuebattle.com/

Has anyone been in previous years? I'm wondering what kind of food vendors they have. I see that Safeway will be giving out free samples of things, but I'd like to know if I'll have more options than just waiting in endless lines among people seeking a miniscule freebie.

I am also curious about this, and was about to post the same query. The website is not very clear about the way the "free" samples (it costs $10 to get in) work. Will the Safeway Sampling Pavilion (or whatever) have samples prepared by people and places other than Safeway? Or will Safeway personnel be doing the cooking? Who fights in the battle? Do I get to taste the foodstuffs prepared by the competitors? And, as The good Doctor asks, are the lines so long that I will be more annoyed than satisfied?

From a good friend of mine:

"I have attended the National Capital Barbecue Battle as a judge most of the last six years or so. The food vendors available to the public are typically local and national BBQ restaurants (Famous Dave's, Red Hot and Blue, etc.) As such, the BBQ available to the public is decent, but not fantastic.

The competitors come from all over the country. Some are first tier teams that regularly place in national BBQ contests. Others are smaller local or regional teams, which are a more mixed bag, but some are excellent. The public does not get to taste anything prepared by the teams. Pity, really, since what they prepare is fabulous. The best meat I've ever had in my life was as a judge at this contest.

The sampling pavillion is not BBQ sampling but pretty much miniscule freebies as suspected. The line and wait for the pavilion are usually long.

All in all, the BBQ Battle is a decent street fair with lots of live music, some neat exhibits (Wienermobile!) and decent food. But if you're looking for an awesome food experience, you're not going to find it unless you're a judge. Fortunately for me and my family, I am."

Paid a visit today. While I won't go so far as to say I wish I hadn't, it was a pretty forgettable experience. The lines for the food vendors were nearly as long as those for the free food. The tickets-for-drinks system was strange (one color ticket for beer and some beverages, another color ticket for wine and some different beverages) and the food itself was kind of expensive. I ended up spending $26.20 for one bbq sandwich platter and a bottle of water. But that includes the admission, which supposedly went to a good cause.

Out of all the people set up to be part of the BBQ competition, I only saw one guy prepare his goods where everyone could see them.

From a good friend of mine:

"I have attended the National Capital Barbecue Battle as a judge most of the last six years or so. The food vendors available to the public are typically local and national BBQ restaurants (Famous Dave's, Red Hot and Blue, etc.) As such, the BBQ available to the public is decent, but not fantastic.

The competitors come from all over the country. Some are first tier teams that regularly place in national BBQ contests. Others are smaller local or regional teams, which are a more mixed bag, but some are excellent. The public does not get to taste anything prepared by the teams. Pity, really, since what they prepare is fabulous. The best meat I've ever had in my life was as a judge at this contest.

The sampling pavillion is not BBQ sampling but pretty much miniscule freebies as suspected. The line and wait for the pavilion are usually long.

All in all, the BBQ Battle is a decent street fair with lots of live music, some neat exhibits (Wienermobile!) and decent food. But if you're looking for an awesome food experience, you're not going to find it unless you're a judge. Fortunately for me and my family, I am."

Summed it up pretty well. Unfortunately I was not a judge so I did not get any of the good stuff. Got there around 1130a and there were hardly any lines to speak of. Wandered around for a bit and was amazed at the number of people that were lining up to get free samples of new processed products that will be lining the shelves at your local Safeway or Giant.

Had some good ribs from the Redneck place and some barely OK ones from another. Money was for a good cause and it was a nice day to walk around so all in all not a bad way to spend a couple of hours.

It was strange to see all the competitors hidden from view.

I didn't go this year, but I have twice before, and I'll never go again. It almost seems like there are two events going on in parallel-- the "real" bbq battle where contestants cook up their wares for the judges (which you can view from afar), and the festivus for the restivus whereby you have the honor of standing in lines for crap product. I also love any event where one has to stand in line to get a wristband for the privilege of standing in another line to get a freakin overpriced beer.

Stay home and fire up your grill.

32nd Annual Pork, Peanuts and Pine Festival

And the Marshall Tucker Band too!

July 21-22 at Chippokes Plantation State Park in Surry County, Virginia, on the banks of the James River.

They'll be serving up charcoal grilled pork chops, ham sandwiches, sausage, bbq, pork rinds, cracklings, chitterlings, salted peanuts, peanut candy, peanut pie, applejacks, lemonade and other healthy food.

Marshall Tucker Band will be on stage Saturday from 3:30pm - 5:00pm, but there will also be gospel, country and bluegrass playing. And of course there will arts and crafts, hayrides, and a parade with Little Mister and Miss Peanut (no, not our Peanut).

and pssst: free admission.

More info ---> here

The Feast of San Gennaro? Really? When I lived in NYC, my experience was that it's something to be avoided, full of corn on the cob vendors and lots of other nonsense. Oh, and CROWDS.
There's a local (3rd & F St., NW) alternative today. The theme this year is the Emilia-Romagna region. Looks small with only a few vendors, but no serious travel involved.
Festa Italiana 2007 is the ninth annual Festa conducted by the Festa Italiana Foundation of Washington, D. C., Inc. (FIF). As in the past, in order to maintain our traditions, Festa Italiana 2007, is being held in front of the Holy Rosary Church and in Casa Italiana on Third Street, N.W. in downtown Washington. It is the only Italian festival held in our Nation's Capitol.

This Saturday, July 21 is the Asian Festival. There is free admission to the event which includes music, cultural performances, food from a long list of local restaurants with authentic dishes not on the regular menues, crafts, and even an Asian Idol contest. There will also be a Singha Beer Garden, Thai kickboxing demonstartions, a breakdancing tournament, and a lot of tennis activities.

10:00 am - 9:00 pm. Lake Newport Tennis Facility, 11452 Baron Cameron Avenue, Reston, VA. 703.589.4144.

i know that this festival is still about a month away, but my schedule is getting jammed up and i almost forgot to make sure that i penciled it in my calendar, and since other people's schedules might be filling up, i thought i'd mention this now...

sept 8-9, 2007 is the annual mushroom festival held in the mushroom capital of the world, kennett square, pa (near longwood gardens, i think).

politburo and i usually go just to walk around and listen to speakers, learn about mushroom cultivation, people watch, and eat mushroom dishes from some of the food stands. there are usually mushroom farm tours (though, this year i think there is a small fee for some of the events), and i believe this year some top chef folks (and other chefs) are slated for a cooking demo (ilan, miguel).

but the real reason we end up going is because we are able to get a box of large portabello mushrooms (maybe 15-20 in each box) for a mere $15! there are other mushrooms to be bought there as well that are grown in the surrounding mushroom farms.

i'm not associated in anyway to the mushroom festival, but i thought i would share this with anyone who was interested in mushrooms. :angry:

i know that this festival is still about a month away, but my schedule is getting jammed up and i almost forgot to make sure that i penciled it in my calendar, and since other people's schedules might be filling up, i thought i'd mention this now...

sept 8-9, 2007 is the annual mushroom festival held in the mushroom capital of the world, kennett square, pa (near longwood gardens, i think).

politburo and i usually go just to walk around and listen to speakers, learn about mushroom cultivation, people watch, and eat mushroom dishes from some of the food stands. there are usually mushroom farm tours (though, this year i think there is a small fee for some of the events), and i believe this year some top chef folks (and other chefs) are slated for a cooking demo (ilan, miguel).

but the real reason we end up going is because we are able to get a box of large portabello mushrooms (maybe 15-20 in each box) for a mere $15! there are other mushrooms to be bought there as well that are grown in the surrounding mushroom farms.

i'm not associated in anyway to the mushroom festival, but i thought i would share this with anyone who was interested in mushrooms. :angry:

This is close enough and good enough! that I'm going to put it on the calendar. It is near Longwood Gardens which is spectacular. Also, for anyone going you might want to check out nearby Chaddsford Winery for a tour and tasting. It's a lovely place there in the Brandywine Valley. The mushroom farms make for a , ah, intersting smell this time of year. Depending on how the wind blows.

i'm not associated in anyway to the mushroom festival, but i thought i would share this with anyone who was interested in mushrooms. B)

My plus one and I went and man, were we disappointed. There were few vendors even USING mushrooms, and they were all pedestrian; fried mushrooms, portobello burgers. You get the drift. Was the pit beef crusted with dried mushrooms and spices before grilling? No. Are there any mushrooms in your quesadillas? No. Can I go into the American Legion hall and pay for a cup of mushroom soup without a $2.00 wristband? No. :angry: Maybe we weren't cueing in on the right things, but I wasn't impressed.

My plus one and I went and man, were we disappointed. There were few vendors even USING mushrooms, and they were all pedestrian; fried mushrooms, portobello burgers. You get the drift. Was the pit beef crusted with dried mushrooms and spices before grilling? No. Are there any mushrooms in your quesadillas? No. Can I go into the American Legion hall and pay for a cup of mushroom soup without a $2.00 wristband? No. :angry: Maybe we weren't cueing in on the right things, but I wasn't impressed.
i actually wasn't that impressed either, this year, though, i paid the $2 which i didn't think was that big of a deal to cough up when you arrived at the info tent. i went to the american legion to get the soup and it was just ok (i could have, and did, make better soup) - plus, in the sweltering heat (ok, it wasn't that bad for most people, but for me it was very hot) soup probably wasn't the most ideal thing to eat to cool me down, though, it did give me an oasis out of the sun.

i did see cream of mushroom ice cream and pumpkin/mushroom ice cream, but my grouchy self didn't feel like waiting in line with all rest of the jerks needing something cool.

i walked into the demo tent, just in time to hear ilan (from top chef) gloat about how he took a semester off to travel and learn to cook, blah blah blah. i couldn't really be bothered and left after a few minutes. it was crowded in there, and the sound system / speakers were pretty bad that even sitting in the middle of the tent it was hard to hear.

i honestly think the best thing about the festival, besides eating the kettle corn (at exorbitant prices, though) is buying the mushrooms: portabello, shitake, oyster. politburo and i walked out of there with like 8 large boxes of mushrooms. we could hardly jockey for front of the bus seats with our boxes (shuttle to get back to parking lot), but once we did so, almost everyone getting on was looking at us like we were crazy for buying so many mushrooms. meanwhile, all we could say to ourselves was how crazy all those people were for NOT buying any mushrooms. B)

This weekend is also the Riverside Winefest at Sotterly Plantation. Only four food vendors listed though. I think it is all Maryland wines. However, it could be a nice road trip to St. Mary's county on a beautiful day to a lovely historical plantation on the Patuxent River.

http://www.sotterley.org/winefest2007/index.cfm

http://www.bluewindgourmet.com/

http://www.bromehowardinn.com/

http://www.sunshinescateringcompany.com/default.aspx

Tommorow is Del Ray's Art On The Avenue. While not a food festival proper, they will have "international foods" and a pie contest.

Art on the Avenue was a fantastic success. The heat was tempered by intermittant clouds and a slight breeze. There were artists, musicians, children's activities and food as far as the eye could see. Most food vendors were from Mt. Vernon Ave and surrounding areas. Bbq sliders from Del Merei Grille were popular and de-lish. Also fantastic at an amazing $1 were the samosas from Bombay Curry Company. Small town Main St. America just outside the nation's captital. Amazing. Put it on your "to do" list for next year! Pics linked below.

Art on the Avenue was a fantastic success. The heat was tempered by intermittant clouds and a slight breeze. There were artists, musicians, children's activities and food as far as the eye could see. Most food vendors were from Mt. Vernon Ave and surrounding areas. Bbq sliders from Del Merei Grille were popular and de-lish. Also fantastic at an amazing $1 were the samosas from Bombay Curry Company. Small town Main St. America just outside the nation's captital. Amazing. Put it on your "to do" list for next year! Pics linked below.
And don't forget the great pies at $2/slice (once judging was completed). I tasted the Apple Pie with White Peppercorn - it was a wonderful deep dish pie (even though the peppercorn flavor was somewhere way in the background). There were close to two dozen entries, all of which looked very tasty.

Some of the regular Del Ray Farmers Market vendors found space across the street from their usual spot - the Saltena folks, Grace's Bakery, Toigo, and (my personal favorite) Tom the Cheese Man - from whom I purchased my latest obsession - Smoked Cheddar.

Just a reminder that this weekend is the St. Mary's County Oyster Festival. National Oyster shucking competition (professional and amatuer classes) (with free oysters served to the spectators in the stands after judging), lots of oysters of all kinds - raw, grilled, scalded (local Southern Maryland style), stewed, fried. Other vendors serving fried clams,

scallops, soft crab sandwiches, crab cakes, shrimp, fried fish, and a seafood chowder. Southern

Maryland ham, beef and chicken specialty dishes are available. Polish and Italian sausage, hamburgers,

hot-dogs, 'Old Ham' on biscuits, and, of course, stuffed ham sandwiches are also on the menu.

Volunteers from local nonprofit organizations prepare all these different seafood offerings. The festival

provides a means by which these clubs raise funds for their various charities. Beer and Maryland wine to wash it all down.

http://www.usoysterfest.com/

Just a reminder that this weekend is the St. Mary's County Oyster Festival. National Oyster shucking competition (professional and amatuer classes) (with free oysters served to the spectators in the stands after judging), lots of oysters of all kinds - raw, grilled, scalded (local Southern Maryland style), stewed, fried. Other vendors serving fried clams,

scallops, soft crab sandwiches, crab cakes, shrimp, fried fish, and a seafood chowder. Southern

Maryland ham, beef and chicken specialty dishes are available. Polish and Italian sausage, hamburgers,

hot-dogs, 'Old Ham' on biscuits, and, of course, stuffed ham sandwiches are also on the menu.

Volunteers from local nonprofit organizations prepare all these different seafood offerings. The festival

provides a means by which these clubs raise funds for their various charities. Beer and Maryland wine to wash it all down.

http://www.usoysterfest.com/

Reporting back from the Oyster Fest, the raw oysters were so fresh and tasty that I pretty much filled up on those and didn't have much room for anything else, but can report that others were very appreciative of the seafood chowder, the stuffed ham sandwiches, etc. Beer offerings included Sam Adams Octoberfest, Killian's Red, and Blue Moon wheat.

It's a longish drive from Virginia but we took a side trip to historic St. Mary's City site and on down to Point Lookout, where the Potomac meets the Chesapeake.

We should have had our hands stamped when we left the festival, I was hungry again when driving back, but didn't feel like spending another $5 per person to get back in and give the rest of the festival food a go.

Note: St. Mary's City historic site is reduced fee on Sunday but not everything is open.

St. Marks Food Festival and Bazaar takes place this weekend...piroghis, borscht, halupki....click for menu all homemade. Pressed for time? Use their convenient drive-up window (gotta love that!)

Runs Fri-Sun Nov 2-4.

Also taking place this weekend is the Beastie Bazaar at Sandy Lerner's Ayrshire Farm in Upperville. No, there aren't beasties available to eat (maybe a sample of heritage turkeys), but it is a great opportunity to see some very interesting rare and endangered old breeds. Products of some of these breeds ARE on the menu at The Hunters Head Tavern in Upperville and the Home Farm store in Middleburg (both owned by Sandy Lerner). It's always a lot of fun and for a good cause - a great way to spend a beautiful fall day.

Two food related events going on in Alexandria this Saturday, June 7:

Bluegrass and BBQ

Lee-Fendall House Museum

614 Oronoco Street

Alexandria, VA 22314

www.leefendallhouse.org 703/548-1789

Adults — $45 - Students (12-17) — $30 - Children (5-11) — $15 - Children under 5 — Free

Bring your picnic blanket and enjoy three Bluegrass bands and some of the best BBQ in Northern Virginia. The event will run from noon to 5 pm. All proceeds benefit the restoration and educational activities of the Lee-Fendall House.

Music by: Bob Perilla’s Big Hillbilly Bluegrass

Dead Men’s Hollow

Herb & Hanson

Reservations Required

Alexandria's Armenian Festival

Market Square

301 King Street

Alexandria, VA 22314

703/683-0208

Details here.

Alexandria's 16th Annual Armenian Festival from noon to 6 p.m. with Armenian foods, arts and crafts, live entertainment and dignitaries. Proceeds benefit the children of Gyumri, Armenia.

Free!

Another Event w/ Food in Alexandria this weekend:

The City of Alexandira's Annual Arlandria-Chirilagua Festival is scheduled for Sunday, June 8, from noon to 7 p.m. at the Mt. Vernon Village Shopping Center, in the 3700 to 3800 blocks of Mt. Vernon Avenue. Admission is free, and the festival will be held rain or shine.

Entertainment will include a variety of dance performances and musical groups. The festival will also feature children's activities, a community service and health fair, and displays showcasing traditional arts and crafts from South America, Bolivia, Peru, and Central America. Enchiladas, tacos, empanadas, nuegados, tamales, popusas, and other food and beverages will be available for purchase.

The Mt. Vernon Village Shopping Center is served by DASH and Metrobus. For DASH schedule information, call 703.370.DASH or visit www.dashbus.com. For Metrobus schedule information, call 202.637.7000 or visit www.wmata.com.

The Arlandria-Chirilagua Festival is cosponsored by the City's Department of Recreation, Parks and Cultural Activities and the Tenants and Workers United Committee.

For additional information, call the City's Special Events Hotline at 703.883.4686.

FYI, info on smallish Crab Festival in St. Mary's County. It really has the feel of a county fair more than anything (a small one at that).

http://www.stmaryscrabfestival.com/

ST. MARY'S COUNTY CRAB FESTIVAL

Date: 6/8/2008

Time: 11 AM - 5 PM

Bring your family and friends to the 23rd Annual St. Mary’s County Crab Festival on Sunday, June 8th at the St. Mary's County Fairgrounds.

In addition to hot and tasty steamed crabs, festival goers will enjoy other seafood and non-seafood items, live music, entertainment, classic cars on display, crab races, crafts, vendors, and more! (Rain or shine)

Admission is $5 p/person over 12 years of age. The cost of food at the Crab Festival is separate from admission. Plenty of free parking. The St. Mary's County Fairgrounds is located in Leonardtown, MD at the intersection of MD Route 5/Point Lookout Road and Fairgrounds Road. For driving directions to the St. Mary's County Fairgrounds and more information, visit the Crab Festival website at stmaryscrabfestival.com

This weekend is the KORUS Korean festival. It's in the Kmart parking lot at 4251 John Marr Drive, Annandale, from 7-9 p.m. on Friday and 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. on Saturday and Sunday. Free admission. Description from link:

For three exciting days from September 26-28, the KORUS House of the Embassy of the Republic of Korea and the Korean American Association of the Washington Metropolitan Area will host The 6th Annual KORUS Festival...

The festival aims to bring together Koreans, Americans and all members of the community in the Washington D.C. metropolitan area to celebrate the dynamic and harmonious Korea-US relationship begun 126 years ago. Many aspects of Korea's vibrant and unique culture will be on display in the form of music, dance, food, and other on-stage performances to encourage interaction between local communities.

The KORUS Festival takes place during the week of Chuseok, the festive Korean holiday of thanksgiving that celebrates the beginning of the fall harvest.

I went a couple of years ago. It took some luck to find parking in the Kmart lot. I didn't stay too long, I just wandered around to look at the food and craft vendors. I had some grilled rice cakes and bought kimchi which came in a clear plastic bag. Kind of reminded me of coming home with a goldfish in a bag but the bag was much bigger.