Malibu Grill Steakhouse, Churrascaria in West Fairfax, Also Formerly In Falls Church - Closed

We went to Malibu Grill Steakhouse for a business lunch last week. My client/friend had never been to a churrascaria before so I gave him the low-down. I figured it was his treat and I hadn't been to one in the VA area yet and I hate going to DC because of the parking and traffic.

We hit the salad bar and then put our "green" on. (Note to the uninitiated you have a piece of wood green for "go" and red for "stop" - servings of food that is grilled rotisserie style) we ate and ate and ate and though I love salt a bit more than the next person the sirloin was a tiny bit too salty (take an inside cut maybe?) for me. My friend was okay with it all but he's not a supertaster nor a foodie, so I'll have to show him some fine dining choices next time! They had salad and soup and grilled potatoes and rolls and halibut and alot more items than you could need w/o the grilled meats.
The price was right since he was treating and then we went on to business. The waitress/server was a very sweet hispanic girl who kept my soda glass full...blissfully. The water - ewwwwww, I guess I'm spoiled but the water tasted like toilet water!

Anyhow I helped him with career advice and resume tweaking and since my last meeting with him he has gotten a few bites so he's happy. I saw a restaurant next door but I forget the name, I would love to find out more about it! I'd put this on a list of things to try for a fast steakhouse in the fairfax or falls church va areas... it's really a toss up if you don't mind the salty meat. (maybe it was an off day? - shrug - ) anyhow... my next place to try is Chez Francois in Great Falls.

Having been to both of them numerous times, I can say that Green Field in Rockville is MILES ahead of Malibu Grill, at roughly the same price point.

I still haven't gotten to Fogo de Chao, but it's about twice as much as GF or MG.

I still haven't gotten to Fogo de Chao, but it's about twice as much as GF or MG.

Not last night, it was 38.95 for the buffet at GF. Total damage for two was 97.00 for one beer, one bacardi and buffet. I went expecting the well seasoned meat that is the hallmark of the Churracaria but was dissapointed. Most of the meats were hardly seasoned with the exception of the beef rib. This cut was from the part of the rib roast minus the roast. A large laryer of beautifully marbled and seasoned meat, everything else was very average. What I really liked about GF was the variety. Much better for "other foods" than FDC. I was also struck by the fact that everyone who workes there worked really hard all night long, and seemed to enjoy it. I mean, for having been packed from 11am till 9:30pm when we left they all had a smile on their faces and were keeping the food hot and filled. I know that this will probably get moved and that's cool.....just my two cents....it did however satisfy my craving for meat...go ahead make jokes.....

It has been a while since I went to Malibu Grill, but from my recollection, you get what you pay for. The price is much cheaper than Fogo de Chao, I think it is like $20 as opposed to $45, but you can taste the difference. For my money, I will take the better food every time, but people who don't want to drop a lot of cash and don't mind the lower quality of meat (it is not awful, just not great), Malibu Grill is fine.

Not last night, it was 38.95 for the buffet at GF.

Could that have been a Father's Day surcharge? Normal price is around $25, when I was last there a couple of months back...

Edit that - just checked the website, and the regular price is now $33. Wow. And Malibu Grill is $18 weekdays, $19 weekends. FdC is around $50, if I remember correctly.

Being newish in town we didn't have a favorite spot to goto for EATAPETA Day (Eat A Tasty Animal for PETA Day), we considered Fogo de Charo (we celebreated last year at the one in Kansas City) but decided to try a local place with Malibu Grill since it is close to Sweetie's office and about half the price (was just over $50 for two of us with a caparina each).

Next time we will goto Fogo - The food was good but was not the wonderful decadent experience we expect from brazillian grills. The Caparina's were average (he makes better at home), and there was only one Gauchos who would be carrying aroud two or three options at a time for a total of 7 (chicken, turkey, pork sausage, lamb, pork lion, sirloin steak, and another steak). Now I admit it was a monday night so not their busy time. but the meat was dry (espeically the pork) and overcooked (especially the lamb), but the sausage was much better flavored then the sausage at any of the other Brazillian grills we have tried (3)

We went to Malibu Grill a while ago and came away unimpressed. The meats were all either cold, dry, or both, and the salad bar was disgusting--wilted greens, premixed options drenched in too much sauce/dressing, and other items that had just been sitting out for too long. For our money, we like Texas De Brazil in Fairfax--you can normally get some kind of deal (the latest is $40 per person on Easter, including a drink and dessert), and the meats are spot-on. That said, though, we've never tried Fogo de Chao.