Looking for Rare Beers and Vegetarian Options near 14UP

Waitman

Summary: beer snob (in a good way) friend and vegetarian wife coming to visit, looking for bar-type place with good beer (ideally obscure and local, Sam Adams does not count) and whatever it is that vegetarians eat. Should be walking distance from 14th and Rd. Island. Viridian and Beck are too upscale -- need something like a vegan "Friends". (Speaking of which) Friends of said wife have suggested Health Bar, next to Results gym. I've never been there but I can't can't help but imagine that it sucks. Any suggestions or reassurances that Health Bar doesn't suck will be appreciated.

Summary: beer snob (in a good way) friend and vegetarian wife coming to visit, looking for bar-type place with good beer (ideally obscure and local, Sam ADams does not count) and whatever it is that vegetarians eat. Should be walking distance from 14th and Rd. Island. Viridian and Beck are too upscale -- need something like a vegan "Friends". (Speaking of which) Friends of said wife have suggested Health Bar, next to Results gym. I've never been there but I can't can't healp but imagine that it sucks. Any suggestions or reassurances that Health Bar doesn't suck will be appreciated.

Bar Pilar has more than a few vegetarian options and a solid, somewhat obscure beer list - though more Vt-based, than local breweries (Magic Hat, Otter Creek, Wolavers) - on tap. That said, I haven't been since Hook opened and Pilar and St. Ex have both gotten a few mixed reviews post-chef departures.

KramerBooks is 6 blocks away and has a good tap lineup as well as some good rare-ish stuff in bottles. There are a few veggie options on the food menu.

I haven't been, but maybe one of those places on P st across from whole foods (Logan Tavern, etc)..anybody know if they have good beer?

Other than that, good luck. Good beer and vegetarian options rarely intersect, especially at a cheap price point. Heck, you might be better off just taking them to WF and picking up some food and beer.

Oh, the black cat has a vegan cafe that looks decent, but the rarest beer is Chimay red.

Summary: beer snob (in a good way) friend and vegetarian wife coming to visit, looking for bar-type place with good beer (ideally obscure and local, Sam ADams does not count) and whatever it is that vegetarians eat. Should be walking distance from 14th and Rd. Island. Viridian and Beck are too upscale -- need something like a vegan "Friends". (Speaking of which) Friends of said wife have suggested Health Bar, next to Results gym. I've never been there but I can't can't healp but imagine that it sucks. Any suggestions or reassurances that Health Bar doesn't suck will be appreciated.
Saloon on U street is one option, the Reef in Adams Morgan- not too far but excellent food with veggie options, what you want more lowbrow places, how about Asylum?

As far as local beer, DC doesn't have good local beer, but if you really want fun obscure beers The Reef and Saloon are your best bets.

Disclaimer: I work at Health Bar.

Now that I've disclosed that potential bias, the restaurant does not suck (and it has no affiliation with Results Gym, besides being located next to it). Whether or not it is the ideal choice for you and your friends is a totally separate question.

As far as beers, Health Bar is owned by Capital City Brewing Company, so you can imagine what we serve. :-) We have four rotating taps; I'm not sure what we have this week, as I've been out of town, but we usually have the Kolsh and the Amber available. The other two could be Hefe, Porter, Pale Ale, who knows? You could certainly call and ask.

In terms of food, we try to be healthy and tasty, and I think we do it pretty well and pretty affordably. The asian tofu with rice and vegetables is popular for vegetarians, and the homemade hummus is quite good. There's also a veggie burger--I like it with pepper jack cheese and homemade pico de gallo (which I put on nearly everything, it's so yummy). Sweet potato fries are a customer favorite as well.

Health Bar is comfortable and casual, and it has a lot of regulars--so, whether or not you decide to take your friends, I'd definitely suggest trying it sometime. I'd also second the previous posters and recommend The Saloon (on U), The Reef (in Adams Morgan), and Bar Pilar/St. Ex (14th Street).

When is this get-together taking place?

Disclaimer: I work at Health Bar.

Now that I've disclosed that potential bias, the restaurant does not suck (and it has no affiliation with Results Gym, besides being located next to it). Whether or not it is the ideal choice for you and your friends is a totally separate question.

As far as beers, Health Bar is owned by Capital City Brewing Company, so you can imagine what we serve. :-) We have four rotating taps; I'm not sure what we have this week, as I've been out of town, but we usually have the Kolsh and the Amber available. The other two could be Hefe, Porter, Pale Ale, who knows? You could certainly call and ask.

In terms of food, we try to be healthy and tasty, and I think we do it pretty well and pretty affordably. The asian tofu with rice and vegetables is popular for vegetarians, and the homemade hummus is quite good. There's also a veggie burger--I like it with pepper jack cheese and homemade pico de gallo (which I put on nearly everything, it's so yummy). Sweet potato fries are a customer favorite as well.

Health Bar is comfortable and casual, and it has a lot of regulars--so, whether or not you decide to take your friends, I'd definitely suggest trying it sometime. I'd also second the previous posters and recommend The Saloon (on U), The Reef (in Adams Morgan), and Bar Pilar/St. Ex (14th Street).

When is this get-together taking place?

Well, after my initial skepticism and your good-humored response it surely behooves me to check the place out (instead of Pilar) and we will come by. Unfortunately, it appears that my friends will be hitting the neighborhood about 7PM this Friday -- surely a tough time to get seats for 5 or 6 people. I will consult regarding flight details and try to hustle them in earlier (or later), and see what the more experienced tofu-experienced palates think (my friend and I will be happy as long as the beer is fresh.)

What about Vegetate?

It looks a little too swank/expensive for what they're looking for that night. He definitely wants a bar, not a lounge, club or restaurant. The old Stoney's, if it had good Ale and tofu would have been perfect.

(Put it this way: he's an old DC boy who's psyched to take the new West Coast wife to Millie and Al's).

Even at 7, I don't think you'll have TOO much trouble getting a table at Health Bar--and even if everything is full when you come in, people don't tend to have 3-hour dinners there, so I doubt you'll wait too terribly long.

I'm not working on Friday night, but there are a couple of (non-vegetarian) specials--the steak burgers are $5, and the turkey burgers are $6. Both are pretty darn good.

I don't work till Saturday and Sunday this week, but if I happen to stop by and check out the beer selections, I'll post an update for you.

Hope you enjoy it!

As far as local beer, DC doesn't have good local beer...

Say what now?

You obviously have not had the schwarzbier from Gordon Biersch. Or Cap City's Kolsch. Or Bourbon Stout from the Chophouse.

To the OP: Health Bar doesn't suck and should at least fit the bill for cheap vegetarian and decent microbrews. Not that the other options bandied about have been lackluster in either department, either.

While not really convenient for you location-wise, for future reference, Brickskeller has a pretty decent veggie burger.

I'm sorry the words "pretty" "decent" "veggie" "burger" should never follow each other in a sentence. Veggie alternatives to perfectly good meat products should be added to the trite list...or banned as a human rights violation. ;)