Romantic Restaurants

DCJHAWK

Have been a member for over 2 years now, but more of a lurker than a poster. Will work on improving that.

I have a female coworker who is somewhat new to DC and her boyfriend is about to deploy overseas for the next year. She asked me for suggestions on a nice romantic place to go eat (that isn't cheesy in her words) in the city of DC. I have some ideas, but was hoping to give her some options that range the price scale (not all expensive, break the bank if you understand).

Would appreciate any suggestions that each of you might have. Thanks in advance for the assistance,

Chris

C'mon guys, help out DCJHAWK, even though Kansas hasn't had any decent basketball players since Wimp Chumperlame and Jo Jo White.

Off the top of my head, upstairs wine bar at Bistrot Lepic, PX for drinks, La Bergerie, 2941 Patio, the places on Lake Anne in Reston, Ching Ching Cha, lounge at Marcel's, Citronelle Lounge, Makoto, Taberna del Alabardero, Corduroy, Queen Makeda, Charlie Palmer Steak, Montmartre.

C'mon guys, help out DCJHAWK, even though Kansas hasn't had any decent basketball players since Wimp Chumperlame and Jo Jo White.

Off the top of my head, upstairs wine bar at Bistrot Lepic, PX for drinks, La Bergerie, 2941 Patio, the places on Lake Anne in Reston, Ching Ching Cha, lounge at Marcel's, Citronelle Lounge, Makoto,Taberna del Alabardero, Corduroy, Queen Makeda, Charlie Palmer Steak, Montmartre.

The backroom of Palena, or a trip to Baltimore for a meal at Charleston. The again if he is going away for a year, a nice piece of beef at the Prime Rib might be nice.

Wilt Chamberlain was from Overbrook high school in Philadelphia. Three days ago I was in the Hershey Coliseum where he scored 100 points in the late '50's.

I would meet him overseas in his first week there. Failing that I would go to (but not eat at) the Old Anglers' Inn. Alternatively I would eat at L'Auberge Chez Francois then I would hop on a plane and meet him in Alsace for dessert. If the entire meal had to be experienced in the D. C. area I would sit on the deck at sunset at the Dry Dock in Solomons Island and dare anyone to come up with a more romantic dinner anywhere within several hundred miles of here.

Sooner or later this restaurant is going to be profiled in the Post and nobody will get within weeks of a reservation there.

....go after dark and sit outside! It redefines "tiki torch!"

I have a female coworker who is somewhat new to DC and her boyfriend is about to deploy overseas for the next year. She asked me for suggestions on a nice romantic place to go eat

While I think it's great that she seems willing to pick up the tab for dinner, I can't condone her cheating with you. Plus you need to think twice about affairs with coworkers-- pens, company ink, and all that. But if you insist on being a home-wrecker, go with Marcel's.

[i've always been puzzled by "coworker". I mean, can someone explain what "orking" is to me? And do cows enjoy being orked?]

Two of my brothers graduated from Overbrook High School, in the music magnet program of the early 1970s. Neither went on to play pro hoops, but one is a professional musician.

My husband and I recently had a very romantic dinner to celebrate our anniversary (>30, and that's all I'm saying) at Vidalia. We booked an early table, and contacted Chef Cooper ahead of time to ask him to cook for us. We left it all up to him, but one could be more specific as to number of courses, food preferences, and price range (not to mention wine pairings). We had a lovely dinner, with well-wishes from staff and personalized menus--even though it was our first time in the place! I'm eager to go back and try their regular menu, as well.

I concur on the suggestions of Komi or Palena. I thought PS7 was very nice, too, but it would help to ask for a table with a little more privacy than some. The same would go for Palena.

Marcels would have to be #1. After that, for other high end options Komi would also fill the bill, as would the tasting room at Restaurant Eve and Le Paradou. for a little less moolah, I think Asia Nora is a very romantic place - a bit exotic and very intimate lighting. And table 50 at Tosca - a 2 -top nestled in a corner of the restaurant that affords a couple more privacy than any table I'm familiar with in DC fine dining.

I have some ideas, but was hoping to give her some options that range the price scale (not all expensive, break the bank if you understand).
It's hard to know what other people consider romantic. I'm not even sure what I consider romantic :angry:. I love Corduroy, but I don't know that I'd classify it as romantic. I'd echo Montmarte and Vidalia and add the Bistro at Eve, Cafe du Parc, and (I know people will think this is weird) Olives by the White House. I think that last one is pretty idiosyncratic, based on meals I've had there, but past experiences with a restaurant (or the feeling a restaurant conjures) are what make the experience romantic. That's what makes it hard to advise somebody else. I remember being advised that 2 Quail was romantic years ago, and that's not my idea of romantic by a long shot.

I have not been to Indigo Landing but, from what I've heard, that sounds possible. Someone who's actually been there could give a better idea B).

And, since I had to come back to fix a typo, I'll second the recent suggestion of Le Paradou, at the pricier end of the scale. And, rereading, I say it says in DC, so that rules out Eve.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions and feel free to keep them coming. Unfortunately, she stated in DC, so that does rule out Eve, 2941, and others. I do agree that one person's romantic may not work for others. Did had several of the recommendations, but a few I had not thought of. Finally, Don, as far as no good b-ball players since "The Stilt" and JoJo, what about Danny Manning and the '88 Championship (pre-three knee surgeries)?

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions and feel free to keep them coming. Unfortunately, she stated in DC, so that does rule out Eve, 2941, and others. I do agree that one person's romantic may not work for others. Did had several of the recommendations, but a few I had not thought of. Finally, Don, as far as no good b-ball players since "The Stilt" and JoJo, what about Danny Manning and the '88 Championship (pre-three knee surgeries)?

Do a Google search on Wimp Chumperlame. :angry: