Logan Tavern, 14th & P Sts NW - From the Owners of Commissary and Grillfish

I couldn't find a thread about Logan Tavern on DR.com, just Merkado it's ugly stepsister.

I have had a few pretty good dinners at LT - not fine dining, for sure, but pleasant. Today a few friends and I tried it for brunch. We were pretty happy with the results.

The scene is slightly more diverse at brunch. Still a heavy guppy presence, but also families, straight folks, etc. When we arrived around noon, the friendly hostess told us it would be a fifteen minute wait. Three barstools quickly opened up so we opted to to eat there.

I wanted breakfast and had the french toast with caramelized pecan sauce and bacon. We also ordered a side of scrambled eggs when we saw a platter of them go by; they looked REAL GOOD! smile.gif Hangover food. The french toast, two large thick pieces of it, was delicious, and also came with potatoes (not noted on the menu) which were good but with everything else, maybe overkill. The bacon was a little sad - just two skinny strips - but tasted good.

My friends had the steak and cheese with grilled onions and mushrooms, and grilled cheese with tomato and slab bacon, both with fries (our kind bartender steered them away from the cole slaw). The grilled cheese came with horseradish mayo or something to that effect, but it was much better paired with the steak and cheese.

By the time we finished, the joint was jumpin'. Everyone was stuffed and sated, and the bill for three of us (no drinks) was about $32.

Before we head over to the Studio Theater, we like to sit at the bar and order the Buffalo Shrimp w/ Blue Cheese Sauce and the Baby Back Ribs w/ Honey-Hoisin Glaze. Don't forget to sop up the sauce with the fresh bread. Quick, light, and satisfying. The Buffalo shrimp are like buffalo wings but with a creamier sauce, still quite spicy, with crumbled blue cheese dropped in.

I have to agree that Logan Tavern is a pretty good neighborhood joint that does comfort food really well. I live around the corner so it's a good place for my wife and I to stop in and enjoy a nice dinner or brunch. A side of shrimp mac n' cheese always finds its way on our order as well as chopped salad. Their bloody mary's are also quite nice for brunch

Of course with Stoney's moving to the block, that has also been a good edition to the block as well to get something just a step below what LT offers.

Buffalo Shrimp w/ Blue Cheese Sauce and the Baby Back Ribs w/ Honey-Hoisin Glaze. Quick, light, and satisfying. The Buffalo shrimp are like buffalo wings but with a creamier sauce, still quite spicy, with crumbled blue cheese dropped in.
Light? :o

I couldn't justify the 25-minute wait at Commissary today at noon, so I walked down and got the last patio seat at Logan Tavern.

We wanted an eggy brunch, and Logan Tavern fit the bill. A basket of passable bread is served with a pool of decent olive oil (improved by a little salt and pepper). For me, it was the Smoked Salmon Frittata ($9.95), with a little cream cheese, capers, parsley, and some fried potatoes on the side. My young dining companion ordered from the kids menu and got Bacon and Eggs ($7.25), scrambled with a little Jack cheese, also served with a side of potatoes.

Our server (Rufus) was friendly and efficient, and Logan Tavern was a good call for a quick Saturday brunch.

Of note is their impressive selection of Bloody Marys - another day, perhaps.

Cheers,

Rocks.

P.S. I had Logan Tavern ranked behind Stoney's in the Dining Guide. If you come across something that blatantly wrong, could you write me and let me know? I really do try to keep the guide current and correct. Thanks!

P.S. I had Logan Tavern ranked behind Stoney's in the Dining Guide. If you come across something that blatantly wrong, could you write me and let me know? I really do try to keep the guide current and correct. Thanks!

Hmmm...my daughter lives in the area so I have some experience at both, for such a rank out-of-towner, and somehow I always leave Stoney's somehow more satisfied than anticipated, and Logan Tavern vaguely less so; perhaps it's a function of lower expectations being met at one and higher expectations being unmet at the other.

Or something my first father-in-law said to me, "Son, go first class or go third class, but never go second class..." (an ironic if perhaps prophetic pronouncement, considering the source and subsequent history, but I digress...)

In either event one feels one has ignored a better option close at hand that somehow has skipped one's mind, or been unfairly vetoed by others in one's party.

Ditto, southdenverhoo. That whole row (Logan, Merkado, Stoney's) is not nearly as good as it should be considering the area, but if I had to pick one, it would definitely be Stoney's. Everything I have had at the other two has been fancier and presented better, but wholly unremarkable.

Despite living relatively close for more than five years now, I'd never stepped into Logan Tavern before last night. Not sure what the origins of my bias against it were, but I'd just never been interested in trying it. But we needed a takeout dinner last night and I was across the street picking something up at the hardware store, so decided to get a couple of burgers to go. They were great! Perfectly cooked as ordered (two different temperatures), very nice beefy taste, and I loved the (generous portion of) Humbolt Fog cheese on mine, as well as the toasted brioche bun. Bias overcome, I'll be back to try other things. How are the lamb burgers?

A vegan, a vegetarian, a gluten free freak (their phrase, not mine), a meat eater, a picky eater, and three others needed a place to dine with a reservation at 8:15 on a Friday in Logan Circle.  Logan Tavern came through and everyone was able to find something to their liking.  I had the handmade papperdelle with meat ragu and it was better than expected.  The highlight were the drinks though.  My basil watermelon slushy was the perfect relief after having to sit through a ceremony that was too long.  At $8 it was a steal considering the price of some drinks in the area.

The only complaint would be the table.  It is the large one when you first walk in and has an uneven surface.  I'm not sure why you would choose a table where plates don't lie flat. My friend put down his shot of something or another and it immediately spilled because it could not lay flat.  I have a feeling this happens often because the waitress did not blink when she saw it happen.

Our waitress was fantastic, dealing with a group of tired, hungry people.  The table got individual checks, which made our lives a lot easier.

While I wouldn't necessarily rush back on my own given what else is in the neighborhood, if I needed to eat with a group that was large in numbers and eating demands I would head here first.

• Like 3

My friend and I, and our two kids, grabbed dinner here early on Sunday night after seeing a documentary down the street as part of the Environmental Film Festival (about a baby elephant, Naledi, and the demise of the African elephant population - eye opening). And we were pleasantly surprised with the meal, the service, the price.

I had the portabello/eggplant on ciabatta with fries, friend had the fish (forgot which one) with brussel sprouts; my kid had pasta and salad, other kid had steak.  All was delicious. I had a glass of zinfandel and friend had chardonnay - needed a drink after the movie.

Dessert was key lime mango pie that was damn near perfect.  Kids had ice cream with chocolate Nutella sauce.  None left.

The server was very friendly and sweet to the kids.  

I don't live close by but will be back again if I did.

• Like 1