Dinner - The Polyphonic Food Blog

JPW

Pat, I found the cayettes recipe here and I'm picturing them as little hamburgers oven roasted in a pan vs. fried/grilled. Is that accurate and how big did you make each patty?

Your description is accurate. Mine were about 2-inches or so in diameter, and it made more than 12, so the recipe assumed larger patties than I made. (I'm terrible at estimating sizes of things like that: how large does each one have to be in order to make 12, etc.) I baked them in a heavy baking dish the size of a lasagna pan, and I had two extra that I had to cook in a small casserole. I actually liked the size they came out, though. I was folding individual ones into pieces of garlic toast last night and eating them as sliders :P .

Mapo tofu with steamed rice, made using an amalgamation of several online recipes, particularly the one from Rasa Malaysia and Ah Leung's pictorial on eGullet. Those are minced flower mushrooms instead of pork.

Broccoli rabe as a side, seasoned simply with shaoxing wine and sesame oil.

post-3913-0-11905200-1330786584_thumb.jp

Dinner with friends.

Goat's cheese and homemade tomato jam on crackers

Various nuts and olives

Sun-dried tomato and feta quiche

Mashed potatoes with butter, cream, and scallions

Green beans in a mustard vinaigrette

(I was in a comfort food mood)

Julia Child's Queen of Sheba cake made with Valrhona Manjari and Grand Marnier. I brushed the cake with a Grand Marnier syrup, a step not in her recipe. I also used rice flour for the little bit of wheat flour with no discernible difference in taste or texture.

post-3913-0-07786000-1330871730_thumb.jp

Various wines including a wonderful Château O'Brien Tannat Reserve 2008.

Hosted a light-lift al fresco dinner last night, thanks to the patio heater and good company.

Cherry Glen Monocacy Chipotle goat cheese on Purple Rice and Black Sesame Toasts, with a touch of Jehovah Jireh honey

Ayrshire Farms Kielbasa and green cabbage, cooked in turkey stock, garnished with black sesame and served with several varieties of mustard

Fruit dipped in chocolate warmed with orange cognac (living parallel lives, lperry!), and a few Florentine cookies from Heidelberg Pastry Shop

Various selections from Le Tastevin

Last night was an oyster pie from The Lee Brothers' Southern Cookbook and a white bean and collard gratin from Frank Stitt's Southern Table. I've been doing much better with pastry in recent months than ever before and so had high hopes for the pie, but the pie crust just didn't work. It was way too wet. It either needs more flour or less liquid (and possibly less fat). When I saw how wet the dough was getting, I should have stopped adding the rest of the buttermilk called for, but I didn't :( . It was more like a drop biscuit dough than a pie crust, and I probably should have just gone with that rather than trying to roll it into a regular pie dough. (The bottom crust was actually white bread; the only pastry involved was the top crust.) The flavors of the dish otherwise were good, but I couldn't keep the dough stretched across the top, so the filling kept bubbling up over it.

The gratin was much more of a success. I didn't allocate enough time to make it, however. It didn't look like it would take as long as it did, and dinner was a little late...The two dishes went well together.

Grilled cheese and bacon on Pepperidge Farm white bread

French fries

The fries were cut from a leftover baked potato and fried in bacon fat. Very good. I'll have to remember that one for the future.

Saturday, chicken curry with the last of the "East Indian Bottle Masala" (a west Indian spice mix from 660 curries, very versatile), some crispy chicken skin (for me :) ), brown jasmine rice and St. Feuillien Triple.

6952416897_4b7da9132f.jpg

Sunday I cooked with a friend up the street. We made some red curry paste for red curry with mushrooms. Some crispy pork (mu krob) with ecofriendly pork belly. The pork belly is boiled first, then the skin is pricked with a fork, scored, and rubbed with salt and vinegar and left to dry (twice), then roasted for an hour, then deep fried. We also made mu ping (grilled pork) with an ecofriendly pork tenderloin. I usually use shoulder, but we tried this and it came out great. It's cut into pieces, marinated in garlic, white pepper, cilantro stems, fish sauce, palm sugar, and oyster sauce, put on skewers and grilled. We also made green papaya salad (som tam) and we bought some fish innard curry (gaeng tai pla) from Duangrat market that was quite good. All with jasmine rice, of course. No photos from Sunday. Also made some rice, mung dhal, sookhe aloo, and raita for my wife when I got home.

Wednesday, greens stir fried with crispy pork, Thai omelet, tom yum with mushrooms (tom yum hed), green apple salad (peanuts, shallots, cilantro, tomatoes, fish sauce, lime juice, garlic, fresh chillies, and sugar), vegetables, rice and Aventinus.

6820880742_dbea5efb4a.jpg

Yesterday, leftover tom yum (still tasty, less pretty), fresh green apple salad, omelet, crispy pork with roasted chili sauce (nam prik pao thinned with lime juice and sugar), rice, vegetables and Merry Monks.

6820880922_04979735ec.jpg

My daughter arrived tonight for a very brief last days of Spring Break visit, accompanied by her bf

chopped duck livers on toasted homemade bread

Boodles-Dolin martinis

charcoal grilled marinated skirt steak

" " eco-friendly chorizo

rajas de poblanos

refried beans (canned)

rice cooked in duck stock

guacamole and chips

pico de gallo

corn tortillas

various beers

spiced wine poached bosc pears with vanilla mascarpone

Buttermilk drop biscuits and unsalted butter from South Mountain Creamery

Baked chicken breasts

Greens with bacon [collard, beet and radish greens]

Leftover mashed potatoes and broccolini

Good comfort food meal.

Dinner for 8: three vegetarians in the group.

starters: duck rillettes; bean dip and tortilla chips; various olives; marcona almonds

prosecco and St. Germain with meyer lemon twist

salad with mixed baby lettuces and mache, sungold tomatoes, cucumber, shredded fennel, Asian sweet radish, scallions, lemon vinaigrette

cauliflower gratin with sauce mornay

herb-brined, spice rubbed charcoal grilled chicken thighs

spice rubbed grilled Japanese eggplant

roasted red pepper strips with olive oil, sherry vinegar, garlic and fresh basil

pickled roasted red and yellow beets

homemade rustic sourdough bread

2009 Botani dry muscat

2009 Alain Jaume Grand Veneur reserve cdr

sticky toffee pudding

creme chantilly

espresso

Dinner for friends.

Guacamole and chips

Mixed nuts

Slaw with a little shaved jalapeño and cilantro in the dressing

Chile-glazed sweet potatoes (from Rick Bayless)

Spicy mushroom tamales (also from Rick Bayless)

post-3913-0-94936400-1331496227_thumb.jp

Passionfruit sorbet (homemade)

Coconut-lime sorbet (also homemade)

About a gallon of sangria using José Andres' recipe from Made in Spain

All burned off with a 26 mile bike ride this morning, also with friends. :) I hope everyone got out in this glorious weather!

tonight: dinner with a friend

boodles/fever tree g&ts

duck rillettes on home made bread with duck cracklings

fennel and jicama slaw with frisee, pickled sweet onion, persimmon, cilantro and lime vinaigrette

herb-brined, applewood-smoked, charcoal grilled eco friendly pork rib chops

my butt-kickin' bbq sauce

grilled asparagus

potato and rutabaga mash

meyer lemon tart with whipped cream

2009 X winery pinot noir

Roasted yellow beets and goat cheese over spring mix with roasted red pepper strips, bacon and marcona almonds; vinaigrette

Deli-style sandwich on ciabatta (soppressata, chorizo, and turkey pastrami; shredded iceberg lettuce, tomato, pepperoncini, and banana peppers; olive oil and red wine vinegar; dried oregano)

Pan-roasted assorted mushrooms*

Macaroni and cheese with roasted cubanelle peppers

*Some of these went into the sandwich too.

I was talked into purchasing Gjetost last week and found the Sky Queen brand too freakishly sweet to eat, even with bread or crackers.

However, it made one awesome batch of macaroni and cheese (blended along with some of the harder, saltier cheeses) for a quick meal last night. Wow.

Friday, laap gai (chicken larb) and rice

6838386046_f9a5cc1de7.jpg

Monday, egg salad, crispy pork belly with homemade roasted chili sauce, red curry with kobocha squash and green beans, and rice

6984507967_5327d0bb5e.jpg

Wednesday and yesterday, red curry, cucumber salad, pork with garlic and white pepper, and rice

6987487407_964d034c88.jpg

tonight: dinner with a friend

boodles/fever tree g&ts

duck rillettes on home made bread with duck cracklings

fennel and jicama slaw with frisee, pickled sweet onion, persimmon, cilantro and lime vinaigrette

herb-brined, applewood-smoked, charcoal grilled eco friendly pork rib chops

my butt-kickin' bbq sauce

grilled asparagus

potato and rutabaga mash

meyer lemon tart with whipped cream

2009 X winery pinot noir

Say hi next time!

Salsa was tonight's feature. 1 1/2 cups of quartered cherry tomatoes, 8 cloves of minced garlic, 1//4 cup of kalamata olives, 1/2cup of diced artichoke bottoms, 2 TSPs of flat leaf parsley, 2TSPs of minced fresh basil, 2 TSPs of red wine vinegar, and 2 TSPs of olive oil. Mix, refrigerate for 30 minutes and serve with the fish of your choice. We had grilled salmon. Try it. and let me know if you like it.

Quiche made with duck eggs, Lewes Dairy cream, Trickling Springs milk, cherrywood-smoked bacon from Three Little Pigs, and Guinness Cheddar; salad of red butter lettuce and Meyer lemon vinaigrette. Made the crust with part butter and part leaf lard (also from Three Little Pigs). Not sure yet if I like leaf lard in pastry; despite following St. Julia's directions, the crust was tragically underbaked on the bottom, so it was hard to judge texture except by the little top edge. Experiments are in order. How long will leaf lard keep in the fridge?

Salad of iceberg lettuce, cucumbers, Campari tomatoes, nicoise olives, and feta; vinaigrette

Ciabatta with olive oil for dipping

Baby bok choy soup with poached egg

Pappardelle with short rib ragu

Recently, I've made a couple curries-- Country Captain Chicken (what a classic) and Shrimp Penang. Both were served over brown Jasmine rice. I used frozen, cooked shrimp (21 or so count) from Costco and they work great, plus no peeling and deveining. Moreover, they taste clean with no iodine flavor that ruins leftovers.

"Kinda tempura" okra and asparagus

Gluten free Choice Batter, finely ground corn meal and a touch of seltzer water for the light and airy tempura-esque effect. First, into the GF mix the vegetables went, then into the seltzer/corn meal/egg/milk mixture, then into the hot grapeseed/peanut/olive oil combination. A handful of uncooked okra bits were left behind, so we created ad-hoc pakoras by throwing those into the corn meal/seltzer mixture, adding some garam masala, and frying up a few dumplings.

With a touch of salt out of the fryer, and a dab of hot sauce, these were dynamite.

post-5654-0-14500900-1332246411_thumb.jp

Chapatis, chana dal with sweet potato (coriander, cumin, garlic, green chillies, tomato, lemon, cilantro, turmeric, ghee, salt), cauliflower (mustard seeds, fennel seeds, garlic, chili powder, turmeric, salt, peanut oil), hari chutney (cilantro, ginger, green chillies, lemon, salt).

6999816233_70e9ce29d2.jpg

I was looking forward to being back in the kitchen after a couple of gluttonous weekends out of town, but I got caught up at work and had about 3 minutes to get SOMETHING on the table. Wound up with a sirloin-and-beans rice bowl, with jalapenos, pico de gallo, and cilantro. No cheese, because we are trying to slim down a bit. Pretty darn satisfying - here's hoping for a healthy few weeks before our next jaunt!

Last night:

Chicken tacos (shredded iceberg lettuce, refried beans, chopped tomatoes, cilantro, cheddar, and sour cream; soft corn tortillas)

White rice

Monday:

Salad of iceberg lettuce, cucumbers, Campari tomatoes, nicoise olives, and feta; vinaigrette

Grilled turkey pastrami, swiss and sauerkraut on rye with thousand island dressing

Utz potato chips

The sandwich was a variation on a Reuben, but I was out of corned beef. Came out really well.

Sichuan boiled "fish" replicated from a meal at a Beijing Buddhist temple, steamed rice, and kailan seasoned with sesame oil and shaoxing wine.

post-3913-0-97613800-1332377853_thumb.jp

Many thanks to Goodeats for tracking down the elusive ya cai seasoning (the green stuff on top of the tofu.) I think the restaurant in Beijing fried it, and I will try that next time.

Baby romaine salad with Campari tomatoes, cucumber, radishes, and avocado; orange oil and white balsamic vinaigrette

Cheese flatbread

Pasta with tomato veal sauce, topped with a little Parmigiano-Reggiano and black truffle

The pasta recipe came from the Framed Cooks blog. All of her recipes I've tried have been good, but this exceeded my expectations. It was absolutely delicious, as well as quick and easy to make. I had a couple of small pieces of black truffle and shaved a little onto the top of the pasta when I plated it. I suspected it would be a good complement to the dish and it was. The second helping :ph34r: I had was truffleless, though, and just as good.

I used some of the orange oil I'd gotten at Sapore earlier in the vinaigrette, and it was an excellent application for it.

It will be dinner for one for a few evenings, so I'm working on finishing out the gluten-filled ingredients that are still in the pantry.

Penne with romesco sauce

Mesclun salad with a tarragon, walnut oil vinaigrette

Approximately 500 grams of tree pollen unintentionally ingested while breathing today

Last night:

Salad of iceberg lettuce and arugula, tomatoes, cucumber, radishes, nicoise olives; orange oil and white balsamic vinaigrette

Bacon and cheese biscuits

Leftover pappardelle with short rib ragu

Friday night:

Watercress soup

Kale stuffed sweet potatoes (with beet and radish greens)

Roasted Asparagus with chile oil

ม้าห้อห Galloping Horses (garlic, coriander root, white pepper, shallots, pork, peanuts, palm sugar, fish sauce, coriander leaves, red chili, pineapple)

7015094955_e8d9a58740.jpg

เต้าหู้ทอดสามรส (fried tofu with three flavor sauce), ลนแหนม (fermented pork dip with coconut cream), ลาบหมู (pork salad), หมูแดดเดียว (sun dried pork, courtesy of Bangkok 54), and brown jasmine rice.

6868984246_0fb1dba003.jpg