Dinner - The Polyphonic Food Blog

JPW

^ It's a trend. Pan fried new potatoes with basted eggs, shaved fennel and apple salad. The salad was planned with other items, then plans changed. It still worked somehow as the lemon in the salad cut the butter from the eggs and potatoes.

Kolhapuri mutton, one of my favorite lamb preparations. 12 dried hot chillies, whole cinnamon, cloves, cardamom, and coriander seeds are toasted in a lightly greased skillet and then ground. It smells great! Also lots of onions, half are sliced and fried crisp, the other half chopped and lightly sauteed. I forgot to buy tomatoes, so I substituted tamarind and it worked wonderfully. Yogurt, garlic and ginger also make their way into this fiery concoction. I used my pressure cooker so it wouldn't take all night. I also made green beans with mustard seeds and garlic, mooli (daikon radish) raita with mint and garlic, and brown jasmine rice. Drank Brooklyn Local # 2 mostly while cooking, but I had a little with dinner.

6641187087_a341bf3de0.jpg

Kolhapuri mutton, one of my favorite lamb preparations. 12 dried hot chillies, whole cinnamon, cloves, cardamom, and coriander seeds are toasted in a lightly greased skillet and then ground. It smells great! Also lots of onions, half are sliced and fried crisp, the other half chopped and lightly sauteed. I forgot to buy tomatoes, so I substituted tamarind and it worked wonderfully. Yogurt, garlic and ginger also make their way into this fiery concoction. I used my pressure cooker so it wouldn't take all night. I also made green beans with mustard seeds and garlic, mooli (daikon radish) raita with mint and garlic, and brown jasmine rice. Drank Brooklyn Local # 2 mostly while cooking, but I had a little with dinner.

6641187087_a341bf3de0.jpg

Kohlapuri mutton is one of my favorites as well. But I must confess to using store-bought birista instead of making my own.

Tonight: breakfast for dinner!

^ It's a trend.

Or coincidence, though the French would not shrug and purse their lips at omelets for dinner. Eggs scrambled w smoked salmon, here. Toasted Struan spread w onion-dill quark (Keswick). Watercress salad w golden beets, dressed w Meyer lemons and genuine extra-virgin olive oil from winter's first press in Tuscany. Amazing.

Tuesday

Smoked salmon mousse and crackers

Pickled vegetables

Leftover pork loin

Leftover onion tart

Roasted Delicata squash

Roasted fingerling potatoes

Wednesday

Smoked salmon mousse and crackers

Green leaf lettuce salad with Campari tomatoes, avocado, cucumber, bacon; white balsamic vinaigrette

Leftover black-eyed peas and rice

Leftover onion tart

Salmon seared on it's skin, a method of cooking I learned from Jacques Pepin ages ago

meyer lemon buerre blanc

wilted spinach salad with mushrooms & bacon

Ficelle from Balducci's, not bad after being warmed/crisped in the oven

Milk for the kiddos, a glass of Santenay for me.

Dinner conversation topics included why the noble gases are so unreactive, the value of salt through history, where we should go in France (!!), and why grown-ups drink wine. Fun stuff

I made some masoor dal with butternut squash to go with our leftover Kolhapuri mutton. Used a tadka (tempering in hot oil) of mustard seeds, cumin seeds, hing (asafoetida), onions, ginger, and chillies, and added chopped fresh mint, lime juice, salt and sugar. It looked like this:

6647249003_cc9b2f6c76.jpg

Beluga lentils with shallots and carrots pan-roasted, then braised in red wine-porcini sauce

Rutabaga mashed w Yukon Gold and organic, pasture-scented, lightly salted, cultured butter*

Mound of young, polychrome chard, kales and spinach briefly sautéed w garlic and caramelized onions

Greek-style yogurt w whole-berry cranberry sauce

*Cow named Mildred, sire of Larry and Joan.

Tonight:

Sourdough bread and soy spread

Salad of red leaf lettuce, cucumber, red bell pepper, bacon, and nicoise olives; poppyseed dressing

Broiled ribeye steaks

Cheese and potato pierogies [Costco] fried in bacon fat with shallots

Steamed broccoli

Last night:

Sourdough bread and butter

Rotisserie chicken legs [Costco]

Steamed broccoli

Hubby's simple, but very tasty, birthday dinner with my folks in the mountains:

BBQ chicken

Roasted asparagus

Roasted herb potatoes (finished on the stove to get extra crispy)

Lots of beer (Southern Tier 422 and Highland Kashmir IPA)

And we got the chicken off the grill JUST in time, as a strong thunderstorm came through right after we closed the lid - it was so soothing to eat and chat with the sound of the rain in the background.

Weeknight coq au vin (crisp up some bacon; sear chicken breasts in bacon fat; brown mushrooms and shallots, add wine, stock, bacon, chicken, simmer; top with parsley)

Roasted zucchini with thyme and garlic

Warm bread

More of the same Côtes duRhône used to cook the chicken

Tonight:

Sourdough bread and soy spread

Salad of red leaf lettuce, cucumber, red bell pepper, bacon, and nicoise olives; poppyseed dressing

Broiled ribeye steaks

Cheese and potato pierogies [Costco] fried in bacon fat with shallots

Steamed broccoli

Last night:

Sourdough bread and butter

Rotisserie chicken legs [Costco]

Steamed broccoli

Costco pierogies are really quite good, aren't they? I really need to get serious about making them myself. I only made one attempt and the dough was so horrible and it took so long to make... I need to give it another shot.

Costco pierogies are really quite good, aren't they? I really need to get serious about making them myself. I only made one attempt and the dough was so horrible and it took so long to make... I need to give it another shot.

They are really good. I've thought about trying to make them myself, but dumpling-type items are not my forte. I did manage to make wontons (from packaged wrappers) a few times recently with success, so maybe I should move on to pierogies.

Last night was a kind of weird and hearty breakfast for dinner. I was going to make a spicy steak and eggs, with slices of leftover ribeye and fried eggs, along with French toast. Then I decided I'd also parboil some potatoes to make home fries. I changed my mind at the last minute, served the steak separately, and made a small layered casserole, with beaten eggs poured over the top, for the potatoes. I cooked this in a small covered Le Creuset casserole dish* I have, and it was excellent. Somehow I managed to guess at a cooking time that rendered a perfect eggy component to the dish.

The French toast was to use up a pint of French Vanilla half and half I'd accidentally bought. "No" to flavored half and half! :wacko: but it worked fine for French toast. I didn't even know anyone manufactured flavored half and half...

Steak strips with hot peppers and onions

French vanilla French toast

Eggy prosciutto, mozzarella, and potato bake

*I have no idea what the correct name is for this particular cooking equipment.

Salad, salad, and more salad. Holiday overindulgence is being counteracted with cycling and salad for dinner. Mixed greens from the clamshell "gourmet lettuces" at Costco (surprisingly good), with various nuts, cheeses, and tarragon vinaigrette.

Leftover salad of red leaf lettuce, cucumber, red bell pepper, bacon, and nicoise olives; homemade croutons; poppyseed dressing

Smoked salmon spread on sourdough toast

Tagliatelle with shredded chicken breast, peas, and cream sauce

Saturday was Achar Murgh (chicken in a pickle style [ground fenugreek and mustard seeds, garlic, ginger and mustard oil] with acorn squash and carrots), gobi aloo (cauliflower and potatoes), chapatis.

6662459451_392786485e.jpg

Sunday (and Monday), Kabocha pumkin curry, pickled mustard greens with egg, pork and tomato dipping sauce, pork rinds, green papaya salad, and jasmine rice.

6673426283_c49cb373ff.jpg

Last night, leftover pickle chicken from sunday, rice and a salad of onion, cucumber, tomato and cilantro with lime juice, olive oil and chaat masala.

This & that, leftovers from the week:

Salad with roasted beets, feta, butter lettuce, cucumber, feta dressing from Trader Joe's

Roast beef sandwiches with cheddar, toasted

Chicken soup

Spaghetti with olive oil & parm for my boy

Orange-poppyseed poundcake from Tout de Sweet

Milk for kiddos, glass of chardonnay for mom

Friday night:

Mache salad with Campari tomato and cucumber; homemade croutons; vinaigrette

Scallion barlotto

Rosemary-mint-garlic lamb sausages

The sausages were made-in-store ones from Whole Foods. The barlotto was from a recipe in The Babbo Cookbook, and the scallion flavor was way too sharp. (The cooking time for the barley also seemed off on that. I cooked it much longer, adding more liquid than called for, and the final product was still a tad too al dente.)

Last night:

Guacamole and tortilla chips

Red and green leaf lettuce salad with cucumber, radish, Campari tomatoes, red pepper, bacon, homemade croutons and vinaigrette

Beefy barley soup with scallion pesto

The too-sharp barlotto was successfully repurposed into soup made with boxed beef stock, tomato paste, frozen mixed vegetables and Yukon Gold potatoes. Cooking it softened the flavor of the scallion pesto and the additional cooking time in liquid also further cooked the barley. It was surprisingly good.

Wednesday, Thai egg salad (crispy Thai omelet torn into pieces and mixed with fish sauce, lime juice, palm sugar, pounded garlic and bird chillies, a handful of mint leaves, cilantro, sliced shallots, crushed roasted peanuts) with raw vegetables, leftover red curry and jasmine rice.

Thursday evening I had to "work" (if you call "playing records for people in a bar" work) so I didn't cook, but I got free drinks and money :D. Alas, the internet told me Thursday was national curried chicken day! So Friday became curried chicken day observed with murgh rasedar (chicken in fried onion sauce) and carrot and onion salad (and rice), both from Madhur Jaffrey's Indian Cooking.

6701550081_2b42b78417.jpg

Saturday I made a cauliflower and caramelized onion tart and a salad.

6701550979_0e54b758f6.jpg

I make tongue for the little guy's school lunch most weeks and this week. We had extra leftover this week so I attempted to recreate the Tortacos burrito bowl.

I sauteed the tongue in butter and crisped it up a bit. I took Trader Joe's chimichuri (sp) frozen rice, mild salsa, a ton of cilantro, a splash of lemon, a handful of shredded cheese and some goat yogurt instead of sour cream. It bore little resemblance to Tortacos but it was mighty tasty and filling.

I make tongue for the little guy's school lunch most weeks and this week.

I predict that this will last only until he can report to his school friends just what he is eating and the "EEWWW, GROSS" response will put an end to it.

last night:

ensalada de lechugas con tomates y cebollitas

carne de res en adobo

frijoles negros

arroz blanco

tortillas

cerveza Pacifico

I predict that this will last only until he can report to his school friends just what he is eating and the "EEWWW, GROSS" response will put an end to it.

My mom used to eat blood and tongue loaf sandwiches as a kid until one day she asked what was in it. "Uh, blood and tongue," my grandma told her. I think her six-year-old brain thought it was a euphamism. She hasn't eaten it since.

My dinner tonight... Beans on toast and a hunk of cheese. Feeling reductive lately.

Perhaps. So far his classmates seem more awed than anything else. Last week he told everyone it was moose tongue. (It was bison tongue...) It helps that one of the teachers is from Central America and is just delighted at what he eats. I'm more concerned with his lunches once he gets to kindergarten and there isn't a fridge and microwave in the classroom.

Dinner was another attempt at burrito bowls while I debate what to do with this week's pork shoulder.

Sunday night:

Sourdough bread and Kerrygold butter

Red and green leaf lettuce salad with cucumber, radish, Campari tomatoes, red pepper, bacon; vinaigrette

Pot roast with carrots and mushrooms

Smashed Yukon Gold potatoes with tarragon

Last night was leftovers of the same.

An extra day off means I get to make curry paste.

Green apple salad (apple, lime juice, fish sauce, roasted peanuts, dried chilli, shallots, red onion, cilantro), green curry with chicken and eggplant, pork jerky (from Bangkok 54) with (homemade) nam jim jaew (dipping sauce), greens stir fried with garlic, sweet soy sauce, fish sauce, and crispy chicken skin. Everything is just condiments for mounds of jasmine rice.

6714493293_236a452854.jpg