Dinner - The Polyphonic Food Blog

JPW

Appetizer: remaining Sour Patch Kids from the bag I bought last weekend

Cod with North African flavors (from the NY Times - it calls for halibut, I only had cod) - this was a good way to use the preserved lemons and various olives that have been sitting in the fridge for a while

Israeli couscous tabbouleh-style - this recipe accompanied the fish recipe and was a good way to use the parsley and mint in the fridge...I was obviously looking to clean out a bit

Steamed broccoli

Last night I made Thai chicken biriyani (khao mok gai, ข้าวหมกไก่) using the recipe from David Thompson's "Thai Street Food". I used brown jasmine rice instead of aged white jasmine rice, so it didn't get the beautiful yellow hue, more of a muddy brown, but it was really tasty.

6199965557_0f1405f49f.jpg

Friday night was all leftovers:

Antipasto salad plus feta; poppy dressing

Boursin-red pepper stuffed chicken breast

Baked sweet potato

Roasted cremini mushrooms

Last night:

Salad of radicchio, frisee, red leaf lettuce, and cucumber with croutons; ranch dressing

Baked Lebanese kibbe with Greek yogurt (David Tanis recipe from the NYT)

Steamed broccoli with hot pepper sesame oil

Vegetarian two-bean chili. Along with black and kidney beans, I used Trader Joe's texturized veggie protein (similar to what Hard Times uses in their veggie chili) and was very happy with the results. The +1 didn't even realize it was a fully veggie dish until I told him.

Blue cornbread

Strawberry Abita (from my dwindling stash)

Last night I felt all ambitious, and cooked:

Sauteed pork chops

Cabbage, apples, onions braised in cider & stock. I added a cinnamon stick, too

Mashed potatoes

Tonight, a long week of west-coast travel, jet-lag, and then 3 days of crack-of-dawn driving to the National Harbor for a conference has caught up with me. Dinner was cheese pizza with a storebought crust and steamed broccoli. Tomorrow is likely to be the same, unless I somehow find more energy.

Radicchio and red leaf lettuce salad with nicoise olives and croutons; ranch dressing

Cavatappi with chopped beef and cilantro in a cream sauce

Truffle Tremor stuffed roasted poblanos

I had two small pieces of rare London Broil left, so I chopped them finely, added some more cilantro and then tossed that and a cream mixture with some drained cavatappi. It looked lovely on a platter topped with 3 stuffed poblanos. It tasted pretty good too.

Back in the kitchen with an early fall garden dinner.

Roasted butternut squash risotto, heavy on the squash

Green beans (Blue Lake, I think ?) steamed and tossed with a mustard vinaigrette

A few jujubes

Feudi San Gregorio Falanghina 2009

Midweek recap.

Monday, chicken laab and steamed egg custard (kai toon), vegetables and rice. Tuesday got tipsy at Eighteenth Street Lounge (Chimay blue) and home very late and needed eggs so I made a frittata with potatoes, shallots, red chillies and Parmesan (because that's what I had), and toast with butter.

Last night I made tuna salad (Yum Pla Grapong) and chicken with holy basil with eggplant (gai pad bai gaproa sai makuea tet) with rice and vegetables (and I even took a picture).

6216995501_7da3850fcd.jpg

In other exciting news, Bangkok 54 grocery had fresh whole kaffir limes on Tuesday.

Last night:

Porchetta-style pork loin: Rubbed with orange zest, fennel seed, rosemary, and garlic, all crushed into a paste, and roasted, served over lemon-rosemary white beans, with roasted asparagus.

Picture? (I think you should post the picture, without the description, and let everyone guess what's in it. Hell, I'd start a separate thread for that type of thing.)

This week we reheated leftovers most nights; stuffed cabbage and pulled pork sandwiches. Then, I was even lazier and we got a pizza (Maggios- quite good and very reminiscent of the pizza joints Mr. MV and I grew up with).

Last night I made a braise with chicken thighs, shallots, garlic, fennel/fronds*, Manzanilla olives, capers, celery/leaves, orange zest and juice, and white wine seasoned with cumin and paprika. Served over golden raisin cous cous.

This weather really has my batteries recharged. I'm in the mood to cook and bake with apples. Pork chops with cider gravy and apple pie. :)

kotleten: Russian-style ground beef patties mixed with onion, garlic, tomato puree, egg and panade, rolled in breadcrumbs and pan-fried until crusty outside and cooked through on the inside. I used eco-friendly ground beef, which I found was too coarse-ground for this dish. Eaten with spicy ketchup. A blast from my past, served often at my family's dinner table.

rainbow chard cooked in olive oil with garlic, red pepper and balsamic.

Tilda basmati rice

Sam Adams octoberfest

mujaddara (lentils, basmati rice and caramelized onions)

yogurt with cilantro, mint, ginger and zataar

roasted carrots

Safeway rotisserie chicken <blech> ridiculously overcooked

B&J's Karamel Sutra

Magic Hat #9

Does anyone do the rotisserie chicken as good as Costco? Anyone? Bueller? :P

Does anyone do the rotisserie chicken as good as Costco? Anyone? Bueller? :P

I bought one of them the other day, and we've had several meals from it, plus another one TBD tonight.

Last night:

Rustic bread and butter

Chicken - Red chard gratin with bechamel

I layered some croutons over the bottom of the gratin dishes before I added the other ingredients. This was a totally impromptu dish and it came out pretty well. I added a little leftover cheese to the bechamel, but not enough that I would call it a cheese sauce.

A couple of things struck me during a recent trip to Beijing. First, it was really easy to eat gluten-free with traditional and delicious Chinese food, and second, I lost about seven pounds despite the fact that I ate every meal out for 16 days. Cue the Chinese food.

I went to Great Wall last week and stocked up on various rice and tofu noodles, and also bought a big bag of black mushrooms. They have a really nice selection of fresh noodles made from things other than wheat, and they seem to be keeping in the freezer just beautifully. I also have a bottle of GF soy sauce, although I've recently read that soy sauce is GF anyway due to the brewing process. So a couple of nights ago, attempt number one:

Sichuan dry fried green beans. The flageolets (aka the beans I left on the vines too long to snap) turned crispy and delicious. Plus, I got yet more evidence to support my hypothesis that other countries send us the leftover spices and keep the nice ones for themselves. The Sichuan pepper I brought back is so much more fragrant than anything I've ever bought here.

Quick-cooked greens (choi sum, I think?)

Black mushrooms in a garlic, ginger, soy, brown sugar sauce. OK, that's teriyaki, but I get points for trying, right?

Tofu noodles seasoned with soy and sesame oil. I had never had these before the recent trip, and I like them very much. Plus, they are super easy: open the package, toss with seasonings, serve.

post-3913-0-35797000-1318266653_thumb.jp

More recently I used the big sheets of rice noodles I bought to make drunkard's noodles with cherry tomatoes from the garden, the remainder of the black mushrooms, Thai basil from the garden, and more of the choi sum. I know greens and Chinese mushrooms aren't traditional, but I also know that home cooks all over the world use what they have, so I made do. So far so good with encouraging comments from the GF member of the household. Suggestions for interesting dishes welcome. :)

Calabacitas Guisadas estilo Michoacán con Chorizo

Arroz Blanco

The queso fresco: Keswick's feta. Variation on one of Diana Kennedy's recipes inspired by something read once in Rick Bayless, using fresh cilantro instead of epazote which means there was a nice, fresh accent at the end instead of the funky depth the latter would have imparted at the beginning of process when cubed summer squash is stewed w chopped onion before lid is removed and a blended sauce of roasted, charred tomatoes, charred serrano and fresh garlic is mixed in and all is cooked until most of liquid leaves the pan. I fried up a crumbled chorizo separately and added that, too. Rice? Grated carrot is nice touch, alone, without recommended peas.

I'm going to guess somewhere in Atlanta, since that's where she lives. :)

Ah, yes, but it is also somewhere in DC (and the surrounding area) - I get them at Trader Joe's. It is just the tail meat, frozen - nothing fancy, but it sure spruces up an everyday pasta night.

Ah, yes, but it is also somewhere in DC (and the surrounding area) - I get them at Trader Joe's. It is just the tail meat, frozen - nothing fancy, but it sure spruces up an everyday pasta night.

I say! I'll have to look for them at my local TJ's. They're probably not even very expensive, right? Please?

I say! I'll have to look for them at my local TJ's. They're probably not even very expensive, right? Please?

If I recall, they are about $10 per bag - not sure of the weight, but my hungry hubby and I split the tails, a bag of pasta, and a jar of sauce into three nice-sized portions.

Spicy chickpeas w caramelized red onions, eggplant, lemon and cilantro

Arroz Blanco

After some pretty delicious meatloaf sandwiches, I had just a little leftover homemade tomato jam. Assertive spices: ginger, cinnamon, cloves... Thought it would be good w eggplant, and thus the meal.

leleboo: I am guessing protein is a boneless chicken breast, not pounded but otherwise prepared scallopine style: dipped in egg of a chicken fed lots of alfalfa (ergo the yellow unless that is tumeric) and coated w herbs and Panko. Or tilapia, maybe. Topping looks like carrot caviar. Finely diced red peppers, sautéed? Fresh tomato-only salsa? Pummeled papaya pulp, maybe.

leleboo: I am guessing protein is a boneless chicken breast, not pounded but otherwise prepared scallopine style: dipped in egg of a chicken fed lots of alfalfa (ergo the yellow unless that is tumeric) and coated w herbs and Panko. Or tilapia, maybe. Topping looks like carrot caviar. Finely diced red peppers, sautéed? Fresh tomato-only salsa? Pummeled papaya pulp, maybe.

See the "Guess What's for Dinner" thread for the answer. (And, as to the crumbs, no dredging adhesive at all; I think the yellow is a result of my iPhone more than anything else!)

Aiguillette de veau de lait medaillé. Saisi, avec des girolles et les pommes de terre de hier soir.

6238130367_118dd9e6d6.jpg

Tri-tip from Hugo Desnoyer’s agricultural medal-winning, 4 month-old mother’s milk-fed veal. Roasted, with chanterelles and last night’s potatoes.

Exceptional tenderness, real-deal-veal flavor and pure as the driven snow. The butchers say a calf’s quality is judged by the whiteness of its eyes.

6241094795_4f96dca2d4.jpg

Medal of excellence, milk fed Limousin veal. Corrèze fall fair October 10th 2011.

by request during an impromptu shopping trip to HMart:

stuffed red bell peppers (ground beef and pork, leftover mujaddara, panade, eggs, garlic, pimenton and cumin, worcestershire, sherry vinegar, fresh herbs) the extra meat mixture made into meatballs

baked potato

haven't made these in years. verdict: very tasty

Catching up. Last week we had tomato paella with some of the last tomatoes that keep appearing in the garden. I'm glad I didn't rip up the vines yet.

Clean out the fridge soup with tomatoes, 17-bean soup beans, and escarole with a side of cornmeal griddle cakes from Leite's Culinaria. I minced up some spring onion and whisked some of Rick Bayless' salsa negra into the batter and it was really good. Super fast and easy too.

We had several roasted veg dinners featuring out of season but inexplicably craved asparagus and some nice new potatoes that Mr. lperry picked up at a farmer's market during his travels.

Last night was a lentil soup spiced with berebere and Crispin apple cider on the side. It's nice to be back into soup weather!

It's nice to be back into soup weather!

Yes, it is. I made a big batch of soup last night, based on the beef vegetable soup that my mother and grandmother made.

Last night:

Whole wheat bread and butter

Red leaf lettuce salad with tomatoes and avocado; vinaigrette

Beef-barley-vegetable soup

Broccolini and potato frittata

Saturday night:

Meatloaf

Baked potatoes

Collard squares

The collard squares were from this LA Times recipe, which describes them as "quiche-like." Very good. I'd make these again.

Recap, last Monday I cooked with a group of 16 international students (mostly from China, Japan and Korea). We made Ethiopian food. It was the first time most had tried Ethiopian, much less cooked it. We made Doro Wat (chicken and eggs in hot pepper stew), which involves cooking down a large amount of chopped onions in a dry pan. It was nice to be able to delegate that task to a willing and enthusiastic helper. We also made Zelbo Gomen (kale), Azifa (mashed lentil salad), and Teemateem (tomato salad). We had yoghurt on the side and (store bought) injeera. Everything was a big hit.

I didn't cook again till Thursday. I made kale with potatoes, chana dal with butternut squash, cucumber raita, green tomato chutney, and chapatis.

6254525005_71a2ee491a.jpg

Enough for Friday as well, but made fresh chapatis.

On Sunday I made red chicken curry with butternut squash, egg, green apple salad, chicken with pickled mustard greens, vegetables and rice.

6255059634_361382d531.jpg

and again last night.