Dinner - The Polyphonic Food Blog

JPW

Some kind of rustic bread from P & C Market with butter [i've had more slices than I should admit]

Marinated grilled vegetable salad (from leftover veggie shish kebobs)

Leftover veal chop --over--

Leftover paccheri and veal ragu with mushrooms and olives

Grilled clam bake:

corn

red potato

littleneck clams

shrimp

steamed in a butter sauce with thyme, garlic, kosher salt, pepper and lemon [wish we had some of pat's rustic bread to soak it up]

bottle of chablis

strawberries and raspberries over vanilla bean ice cream

post-7190-0-86378500-1306800477_thumb.jp

Last night I made murgh saag (chicken with greens, not saag actually but spinach and kale), chapatis, aloo gobi (cauliflower and potatoes) and homemade paneer with tomatoes, onions, ginger, chillies, cilantro, lemon juice, and chaat masala

5786469648_37294aaaf2.jpg

This weekend we had meat and potatoes, (aloo memna) with lamb shoulder from Let's Meat On The..., and chickpeas with spinach, cucumber raita, and chapatis, washed down with Graham Beck Brut Rosé

5785915939_97fff1deb1.jpg

Last night everything was cold:

Rustic bread and butter

Fresh fruit cocktail (raspberries, champagne mango, and bing cherries) with lime

Steak salad with butter lettuce, tomato, and avocado

Multicolored fingerling potato salad with hard-boiled egg, cornichons, shallots, and ranch dressing

Marinated grilled vegetable salad (eggplant, tomato, spring onion, yellow bell pepper)

The heat takes away my appetite, so there's been a lot of fruit for dinner lately. Tonight was pasta with mild mustard greens cooked with olive oil and red pepper flakes and a simple chickpea salad dressed with olive oil, lemon, and romano cheese.

Leftover bell peppers stuffed with ground pork

Chicken salad sandwich with arugula mix, bacon, and avocado on toast

(My husband had the peppers and sandwich. I just had chicken salad with the greens mix.)

Meatless Friday, southern (Indian) style, zucchini sambar (kuzhambu), potato paliya. poppadoms (not homemade!), eggplant chutney (kathirikkai thuvaiyal), cucumber yogurt salad (vallarikkai pachadi), and rice, with Allagash Curieux (which was great) and for desert Banana Pudding Custard from the Dairy Godmother (also amazing).

5796707870_99d991edc0.jpg

Pork loin with a crust of panko, thyme, rosemary, a teeny bit of cumin, garlic, and Dijon

roasted broccoli and red onion

sautéed shiitake and cremini mushrooms with garlic

pumpernickel

a Willamette valley pinot noir provided by my guest

yay

Baby arugula greens mix, chopped celery, cucumber slices, chopped tomato; ranch dressing

Leftover pork stuffed bell peppers

Steamed asparagus topped with frizzled prosciutto, feta, and fried eggs

gigante beans in tomato sauce, Italian salami, marinated roasted peppers, olive oil-packed tuna, kalamata olives on a bed of spinach salad with tomatoes, cucumbers and feta cheese dressed with red wine vinaigrette

crusty bread and butter

peach crisp

TJ's iced green tea

We're back to grilled veg dinners for the summer.

Turnips from the garden sliced into small wedges and grilled with new potatoes, seasoned with fresh oregano because it is escaping the raised bed.

A quick black bean salad with mango and Vidalia onion dressed simply with lime and olive oil.

It was even nice enough to sit on the deck to eat. B)

charcoal-grilled tunaburgers (albacore ground with ginger, shallot, cilantro, panko, egg and lime juice) on toasted buns with fresh spinach, sliced tomato and horseradish mayo (couldn't find any wasabi in the house)

watermelon

Sierra Nevada glissade

Crock pot kielbasa and sauerkraut. I laid pierogies on top for the last 30 minutes and they steamed perfectly. Served with sour cream and spicy brown mustard. And a slice of pump/rye swirl.

Am officially out of my Philly Polish food...

Raw fava beans

How do you get them out of the outer skins without blanching them? I love favas almost much as my beloved fordhook limas which I can't find anymore, but it's sometimes difficult to get them out of the skins even when they're blanched/briefly cooked first.

Cold dinner for a hot day:

cream of fennel soup with tarragon

black bean, mango, jicama salad

a small wedge of roccolo (a delicious Italian cheese that I'd never heard of before today)

one slice from a really awful baguette

strawberries and blueberries with cream

no added heat in the house theme:

grilled shallots in olive oil

grilled soy sauce, ginger, garlic and honey pork chops great technique

defrosted frozen lima bean and corn succotash

microwave steamed green beans

'08 ZH basic gewertz

strawberries with creme fraiche & our garden mint

How do you get them out of the outer skins without blanching them? I love favas almost much as my beloved fordhook limas which I can't find anymore, but it's sometimes difficult to get them out of the skins even when they're blanched/briefly cooked first.

Very short fingernails, but still manage just like the Pugliese who sit outside w favas, pecorino, bread, and wine and call it a meal. Thomas Keller does not permit his kitchen staff to blanch favas to double-shell them, saying the method interferes w their flavor. I just wanted to see what a few would be like chopped finely and used as a bright green condiment, a bit like pistachio nuts.

A bowl of vignarola, sort of. Just a little tesa instead of guanciale. Cooked the [blanched to double-shell] favas around 7 minutes vs. 30-40 and instead of long-stewed, olive green, mushy English peas, crisp, vivid green, blanched sugar snap peas folded into the reheated artichoke, potato, onion and fava braise with lemon juice and freshly, chopped parsley. Mango for dessert.

Yesterday, we had lunch at Joe's Noodle House, so dinner was a salad:

iceberg, romaine and baby spinach with cuke, scallion, shaved fennel, tomato, avocado, crumbles of Valdeon (a Spanish blue cheese), pine nuts and raspberries

dressed with roasted almond oil, pear cider vinegar and lemon juice

lightly toasted "pretzel baguette"

vanilla gelato and chocolate sauce

Last night was leftover potato-fennel salad and tuna melts with provolone on English muffins. Turned on the broiler while the muffin halves were in the toaster, assembled the open-faced sandwiches on a cookie sheet and ran under the broiler for 1-2 minutes to melt the cheese. Turned off broiler promptly B).

It was so hot and I am crazy and love this weather, so I grilled a chicken. Marinated it with garlic, white pepper, coriander root, palm sugar, fish sauce, oyster sauce, and dark soy. Also made green papaya salad, and lots of rice.

5815325168_137332dce8.jpg

5814744289_28f819985a.jpg

drank some Flying Fish Belgian Abbey Dubbel

It was so hot and I am crazy and love this weather, so I grilled a chicken. Marinated it with garlic, white pepper, coriander root, palm sugar, fish sauce, oyster sauce, and dark soy. Also made green papaya salad, and lots of rice.

drank some Flying Fish Belgian Abbey Dubbel

That looks fan-damn-tastic (as do all your meals!). Where do you get the green papaya for your salad? I am carless in Columbia Heights and haven't been able to find it in any local stores; I end up using carrots (which are fine, but not the same). Also, because you seem to be pretty awesome at this Asian cookery thing, do you have a good recipe for Thai pomelo salad? I fell in love with it last time I was in Bangkok and have got a mad craving... Thanks!

That looks fan-damn-tastic (as do all your meals!). Where do you get the green papaya for your salad? I am carless in Columbia Heights and haven't been able to find it in any local stores; I end up using carrots (which are fine, but not the same). Also, because you seem to be pretty awesome at this Asian cookery thing, do you have a good recipe for Thai pomelo salad? I fell in love with it last time I was in Bangkok and have got a mad craving... Thanks!

Here is a good recipe for Yum Som-o (pomelo salad) on RasaMalaysia.com. It's a guest post from Leela at shesimmers.com one of the best Thai cooking blogs in English.

I get my green papayas from the Thai grocery, either Bangkok 54 on Columbia Pike in Arlington, or Duangrat in Bailey's Crossroads. You can even buy preshredded green papaya, which is great. The few times I tried to buy green papaya from a regular store they would be starting to ripen inside, so I stick to Asian stores. Neither of these stores are close to a metro though. You might have better luck in MD, maybe Weaton or something. Vietnamese groceries would have them as well, but off hand I can't think of any near metro but I'm not to familiar with Asian grocery geography in MD .

Last night I made som tam (green papaya salad) again along with yum gai yang (grilled chicken salad) from the leftover grilled chicken, and pad pet mu sai tua keak, (pork strir fried in red curry paste with green beans) and lots of jasmine rice.

5818416694_cb5c065a7b.jpg

pan saute of oyster mushrooms, asparagus, fennel. scallions and frozen peas, garnished with chiffonade of ham, tarragon, lemon zest and chives

basmati rice

I thought it was delicious. J took a couple of bites then took his plate into the kitchen and had an Emmi yogurt instead.

B)

pan saute of oyster mushrooms, asparagus, fennel. scallions and frozen peas, garnished with chiffonade of ham, tarragon, lemon zest and chives

basmati rice

Sounds really good to me, too!

Dinner for lunch today: Chard stuffed w brown rice, plumped currants, toasted pinenuts, ground bison, onion, garlic scapes and chard stems, all seasoned w Aleppo pepper, pomegranate molasses and a little lemon juice. Butter & olive oil-slathered. Smidgen of leftover tomato sauce in between two layers, then chicken stock, third way up side of gratin dish before baking. Each leaf individually blanched and filling all prepped Wednesday evening, time-consuming process all because I was getting sick of greens-in-a-pan w olive oil and garlic or onions. Conclusion is that as much as I will scarf down just about anything made w pomegranate molasses, chard has got to be my least favorite leafy green.

Sounds really good to me, too!

Dinner for lunch today: Chard stuffed w brown rice, plumped currants, toasted pinenuts, ground bison, onion, garlic scapes and chard stems, all seasoned w Aleppo pepper, pomegranate molasses and a little lemon juice. Butter & olive oil-slathered. Smidgen of leftover tomato sauce in between two layers, then chicken stock, third way up side of gratin dish before baking. Each leaf individually blanched and filling all prepped Wednesday evening, time-consuming process all because I was getting sick of greens-in-a-pan w olive oil and garlic or onions. Conclusion is that as much as I will scarf down just about anything made w pomegranate molasses, chard has got to be my least favorite leafy green.

Same here. As beautiful as it is, I find it to taste of minerals; of the soil. I'll take tat soi or escarole over chard any day.

We had some friends over last night to christen our dining chairs (that were ordered before Thanksgiving.)

Paella with grilled portobello mushrooms and tomatoes.

Green beans in a mustard, walnut oil, sherry vinaigrette.

Apple and fennel salad with lemon and olive oil.

A Fumé Blanc and a Torrontes after Scapa scotch.

I know the fennel salad is fall-ish, but one of our guests and I love fennel enough that I figured I could get away with it. Ditto on the scotch for Mr. lperry and the other guest.

I know the fennel salad is fall-ish, but one of our guests and I love fennel enough that I figured I could get away with it. Ditto on the scotch for Mr. lperry and the other guest.

Fennel just appeared in markets around town two weeks ago...though as a serious gardener you probably know it's in season. Apples? :shrug: I just bought a few organic pears from Argentina because this past fall's local crop did not do well and I miss them.

We grilled last night:

Veal chop

Chorizo sausage

Chicken Andouille sausage

Baked potatoes

Feta packet [feta, tomato and red onion slices, capers, and fresh oregano]

We also had a baguette for eating the feta mixture and BBQ pinquito beans with mango, peach, and bacon.

What last night's dinner was supposed to be -

Roasted pork loan with mustard sauce

Sauteed squash and zucchini

What last night's dinner actually was -

A Chick-fil-a sandwich after leaving the ER

The pork was seared on the stovetop and then finished in the oven, and though I had the sense to remove the pan from the oven with an oven mitt, 2 minutes later I went to move the pan and grabbed it full-on with my left hand. Second degree burns all over. Worst pain of my life, quite possibly.

Fennel just appeared in markets around town two weeks ago...though as a serious gardener you probably know it's in season. Apples? :shrug: I just bought a few organic pears from Argentina because this past fall's local crop did not do well and I miss them.

I was in the Piedmont near Charlottesville a couple of years ago, and some gardeners there had managed to produce a fall crop of fennel as well as the early summer crop. <envy> Cooler summers, I guess. Mine burned up in the heat this year, so I'm stuck with Trader Joe's.

The pork was seared on the stovetop and then finished in the oven, and though I had the sense to remove the pan from the oven with an oven mitt, 2 minutes later I went to move the pan and grabbed it full-on with my left hand. Second degree burns all over. Worst pain of my life, quite possibly.

B) So sorry. I've grabbed a hot baking sheet before and it was pretty awful. I hope they gave you some nice meds.

A Chick-fil-a sandwich after leaving the ER

Second degree burns all over. Worst pain of my life, quite possibly.

Lots of sympathetic winces here, reading your saga of kitchen misfortune and pain. I'm sure every serious cook and chef here has had a similar experience. I know I have. Burns on fingers and hands are especially awful, because you have so damn many nerve endings in that part of the body, and they all scream as loudly as possible when they get burned. Keeping it dry while it heals and you're trying to live your life afterward is also a challenge and a half. Amazing that you had appetite enough to follow your ER visit with a Chick-fil-A sandwich! I second LPerry. Don't scrimp on the painkillers (and cold packs), and here's your big opportunity to find out about the true character of the guy you married--how well does he take care of you and how willing is he to take over the tasks you usually do--like putting meals together? In sickness and in health is an easy vow to take, when it is just a concept--especially for guys.

My sympathies. I've also done that, with a pan that has a metal handle that is good for making frittatas. Started it on the stove and put it in the oven to finish. After it came out of the oven, I took the oven mitt off and then grabbed the handle to turn it to the side so it wasn't sticking out off the edge of the stove. B) Fortunately, the pan hadn't been in the oven that long, so I only got first degree burns.

My second degree burns and ER trip were from idiotically tilting a pan to keep the meat from sticking when I was searing a pot roast. Hot fat washed all over my right arm. Dinner that night was pizza at PIzza Paradiso, which we hit after picking up my prescription at a nearby CVS that was still open fairly late on a Sunday night.