Dinner - The Polyphonic Food Blog

JPW

Goat "carnitas" (really a burrito in a flour tortilla)-an EcoFriendly got let braised low and slow. I converted this slow cooker recipe and used it as a guide. As Zora pointed out, not traditional when made with goat, but the meat was so good. This was my first time preparing goat and now I feel far less trepidation after making this.

White rice made with the braising liquid to boost flavor.

Black beans.

For the past few years I've been on a cookbook diet due to limited space and guilt over lack of use of the books I have...

Me, too. I borrowed both of Peter Berley's cookbooks from the DC Public Library--I forget who told me first, but Arlington's main library is the best such resource in the area. (I took Suzanne Goin's book out so much that it was my only purchase last year.)

last night:

chuletas de puerco en salsa ranchera (pork chops from eco friendly, pan-seared and then braised in rustic tomato- chile- onion- tomatillo sauce)

These sound wonderful! How do you make that sauce?

Goat "carnitas" (really a burrito in a flour tortilla). I converted this slow cooker recipe and used it as a guide.

I really have enjoyed cooking with goat for the past couple of years. Many Rocks Farm is on winter hiatus now, but when Jeannie returns to Silver Spring, she also brings really flavorful sausages made with goat.

Your post inspires the following question, too: is there any difference between results when cooking in a Crock-Pot vs. braising in the oven or stovetop if you sear first? I've never used a Crock-Pot before, but was interested to hear a North Carolina-born-and-raised colleague swear by slow-cooking pork shoulders in one.

Last night, a less impressive recommendation from Peter Berley and unintentionally, a shared Meatless Monday:

Menu 5 or 6 from his "Fast" cookbook (cf. Heather's post above about her wine--I'm too lazy to retrieve book for details):

Garlic soup w herbal broth

Warm salad of white beans, sun-dried tomatoes and smoked mozzarella

Cherry clafouti

The soup's broth was insipid: too skimpy on garlic and herbs. Even though beaten egg finishes the soup, the step failed to enrich or lend much body. I much prefer a chicken stock and more generous hand with roasted vs. raw garlic; a vegetarian version with a more complex, flavorful broth would work. Salad pretty good, though caramelized onions and more olive oil would be improvements. I am finding Berley a bit more ascetic than Deborah Madison in approach to seasonal vegetarian meals. Dessert was a way of letting go of last year's growing season: the final cup of Country Pleasures' organic Morello tart cherries. Still delicious.

^^

Lately, I prefer braising in the oven and on the stovetop (occasionally). I like to sear and brown food, and in my experience it has led to deeper development of flavor. I also feel like I have more control vs. using my crock pot. I think my current slow cooker does not cook low enough on the Low setting.

That said, I've slow-cooked pork in the crock and it's been delicious, but I also don't approach cooking pork bbq the same way as I do say, an osso bucco (or short ribs that are in my oven now), when I'm cooking up a mirepoix and tomato paste to get the flavors going.

[chuletas de puerco en salsa ranchera (pork chops from eco friendly, pan-seared and then braised in rustic tomato- chile- onion- tomatillo sauce)]

These sound wonderful! How do you make that sauce?

oven roast onion, tomatoes, fresh chiles, tomatillos and garlic in a hot oven until skins soften and begin to blacken. this is the starting point for many cooked salsas. often they go from the oven into the blender, but salsa ranchera is a rustic, chunky sauce and does not get pureed. The veg got roughly chopped, the chiles skinned and seeded, the garlic peeled. The roasted onion chunks were sauteed in some olive oil in a sauce pan on top of the stove. ground cumin, coriander, Mexican oregano were bloomed in the oil. Some fresh garlic and salt and black pepper added. The rest of the chopped veg were added. As I did not have enough fresh tomatoes on hand, I added a small can of chopped, fire-roasted tomatoes, red wine vinegar, bay leaf, thyme, chopped carrot, celery leaf and parsley. then I let it simmer for about 45 minutes.

RTS leftovers!

All we had to do was add a salad - the leftovers from 4 hanger steak dinners the other night made enough for dinner for 4 again.

I love when that happens! I've found the beef is so good that it even takes to reheating without really ruining it in the least.

seafood stew: pureed the leftover salsa ranchera in the Vitamix with some roasted red peppers, fish stock and white wine. Thinned that out with a bit of water, simmered on very low flame for about 40 minutes and that was my base. at the last minute added monkfish, scallops, shrimp and mussels. Served with chopped fresh basil.

oven roasted broccoli

Pedro Pan's rustic bread with Vermont Creamery cultured butter

TJ's vanilla ice cream with dulce de leche

a dry muscat that I had in the fridge that was tasty, but not the perfect pairing with the stew--an albariño or other, less floral white would have been better

Looks like I added my dinner post this morning just as the site crashed. :)

Monday - Clementine jicama salad served over spring mix that was tossed with the dressing. A lovely mix of flavors, and a nice way to use up some clementines, since they only come in the crates.

Last night - Broccoli rabe with rotini pasta, copied from memory from an episode of Lidia's Italy. Another nice mix of flavors, and a happy discovery of how good Market Pantry whole wheat pasta from Target is.

Tonight was pizza ordered in, but I added a clementine sorbet. Clementine juice blended with some sugar, then a teaspoon of limoncello added for some brightness. Another lovely way to use up some of those little oranges.

^Fish: Looks great. For the spinach, do you cook chopped, blanched spinach w onion till it's really dry and dark, then add it to rice, or...?

Hamburger made w fish sauce & garlic paste on onion bun, topped w Stilton and mushrooms

Dogfish Head Pale Indian Ale

Salad of arugula, red bell peppers and artichoke hearts w shallot vinaigrette

(Found great eggy onion buns made by Vermont Bread Company at Sniders)

^Fish: Looks great. For the spinach, do you cook chopped, blanched spinach w onion till it's really dry and dark, then add it to rice, or...?

Yes, exactly! Fried a teaspoon of whole cumin seeds in the hot oil for 10 seconds before adding the onions and spinach. Add salt and you now have the recipe.

Saturday - Asparagus and mushrooms with whole wheat penne, tossed with balsamic and romano cheese.

Last night - Fresh oat and wheat pasta ribbons from Smith Meadows Farm with a roasted red pepper sauce

Bread that was labeled "sourdough," but tasted like those sweet potato rolls you get at Publix around the holidays

Last night -

Stuffed (with a mixture of sauteed apples, shallots, honey, coriander, and red pepper flakes) pork loin, rubbed with salt/pepper/rosemary/coriander and roasted

Saffron rice

Steamed broccoli

Pork came out a little overcooked (my fault, for sure), but everything was really tasty.

When I ask my wife what she wants for dinner the answer is usually "chicken curry". it's sort-of a running joke since it leaves me thousands (if not millions) of possibilities. Last night I went Malaysian (Malay style, but no recipe). Fried star anise, cinnamon stick, black cardamom, and curry leaves in hot oil, added slice shallots and fried till crispy brown, add a spice paste (rempah) of garlic, ginger, and a handful of fresh red chillies (small Thai kind), and some Malay meat curry powder (Serbuk Kari Daging) and salt. Fried for a while and the added coconut milk, lemongrass, cubes of Japanese sweet potato, and chicken and then added some palm sugar and vinegar. Also I made stir fried sweet potato greens with garlic and salt and we had it with brown jasmine rice. It was very good. I wanted to recount it so I remember what I did. Tonight we're having leftovers. :)

Savory Cheese and Chive Bread (spread with butter and topped with prosciutto slices)

Tortellini salad with roast beef, red onion, parsley, black olives and vinaigrette

The bread was a Dorie Greenspan recipe from Around My French Table. It came out pretty well, though prepping 1/2 cup of minced chives took quite a while :).

Last night, I think I got Spring-ahead time fever :)

Grilled chicken boneless breasts with bbq sauce (Jack Daniel's No. 7 jujzed up with lemon--a little trick for bottled sauces)

Bush's baked beans with a spoonful of Dijon

Homemade potato salad

Creamed corn with lime zest

Today:

joansoupandbread-1.jpg

Chicken dumpling soup* and AKNB

*Thanks to Zora for the tip about making the farina dumplings in a separate pot of simmering water--this made perfect dumplings that did not soak up my soup.

have you tried snipping chives with a pair of scissors? you can do a fair sized bunch all at once and it goes very quickly.

That's what I did and it still took a long time. Maybe I should have done more at once. I had rinsed them and tried to get them as dry as possible before snipping, so they weren't all matched up and even. I was using chives from clamshell packages, and it took nearly two full packages to get 1/2 cup.

That's what I did and it still took a long time. Maybe I should have done more at once. I had rinsed them and tried to get them as dry as possible before snipping, so they weren't all matched up and even. I was using chives from clamshell packages, and it took nearly two full packages to get 1/2 cup.

Perhaps anathema, but I've thrown big bunches of chives into the miniprep and given it just a few seconds whir, and it does a good job. They come out far from uniform, but then, I am lazy. :)

Perhaps anathema, but I've thrown big bunches of chives into the miniprep and given it just a few seconds whir, and it does a good job. They come out far from uniform, but then, I am lazy. :)

I only have a full-size processor, and I don't know how well that would work. Getting chives uniform is one of those kitchen tasks that I can actually accomplish properly, so I usually go for it. It's like I hate ironing but I enjoy ironing handkerchiefs. They actually turn out looking like they're supposed to when I'm done :).

Last night:

More cheese and chive bread

Tortellini soup

BLT salad with vinaigrette

Lamb's Quarter tri-tip steak. This was my first time cooking a tri-tip and I assumed it would be similar to flank steak, which it was. I seared it on a griddle pan and finished in the oven until med. rare. It was delicious.

Sweet potato- I've got an express cooking method for these potatoes. I nuke them for about 8 minutes and heat a high oven, then pop them in to finish for about 12 minutes.

Leftover creamed corn and baked beans

AKNB

Last night

Leftover farro soup

Reuben sandwiches--grilled, on seeded rye, with corned beef, cole slaw, swiss, and (on mine) Russian dressing

I didn't feel like making corned beef and cabbage (and, really, I only like that occasionally but preparing the whole deal means eating a lot of leftovers). Instead, I went with deli corned beef and cabbage in the form of slaw. I love Reubens and am rarely satisfied with what I get when I order them out, so I don't know know why I don't make them at home more.

buttermilk bechamel

Intrigued. I mostly use buttermilk in baked goods or pancakes when, figuring that it would curdle in this kind of prep. Did you do your cook-w-yogurt trick or just proceed as normal?

Two broiled lamb chops from VA Lamb's Corey

Bed of watercress dressed w Meyer lemon juice (probably the last of season :) since they've disappeared from TJ and are $3.50 at WFM) and olive oil

Broiled mushrooms

Rosemary potatoes roasted in skins

Tempranillo blend since Latin names of Spain and Ireland simiiar

B&J vanilla w scoop raspberry preserves and shaved, toasted walnuts

Intrigued. I have never tried using buttermilk in anything other than baked goods or pancakes, figuring that it would curdle in this kind of prep. Did you do your cook-w-yogurt trick or just proceed as normal?

Well, since the bechamel base is a flour and butter roux, the add-starch-to-prevent-curdling is inherently solved. I also use buttermilk in blue cheese salad dressing, and I have a panna cotta recipe that calls for buttermilk, although I wouldn't use all non-fat or low-fat buttermilk. The bechamel I made for the lasagna would have been too lean and sour without the cream.

Yeah, I knew there was something else I used buttermilk for, just couldn't remember. Oh, and salted for marinating chicken pieces overnight before frying.

+1 on marinating chicken. It's generally the last use for my buttermilk when it's getting ripe(er). Fond memory: Mom and Dad used to eat this dinner of a bowl of mashed potatoes surrounded by buttermilk so they would get kind of a mashed potato with buttermilk gravy in every bite. This was a summertime tradition.

Buttermilk always reminds me of them.

Cheese and chive bread, toasted, with butter

Romaine, roma tomatoes, cucumber, radishes, red bell pepper, feta, black olives, and vinaigrette

Pan-fried pork chops

Steamed broccoli

Red potatoes with lemon and parsley butter