Dinner - The Polyphonic Food Blog

JPW

Warm and toasty al fresco dining, thanks to the marvels of the chiminea and unbelievably effective patio heater.

Artichoke and feta spread with purple rice toast.

Fried risotto mounds stuffed with Cherry Glen goat cheese, served over arugula.

Seafood penne alfredo (gluten free; bionaturae brand), with shrimp, scallops, oysters, broccoli, yellow squash, and zucchini.

Blueberry maple oat and pecan crunch, with vanilla goat's milk ice cream.

Maschio De Cavalieri Prosecco

Nachos

Leftover pork tenderloin with bacon

Leftover macaroni and cheese

The nachos were mostly for me. The leftovers were for my husband. He called it the "all cholesterol meal," though the nachos were meatless.

in honor of the crazy-warm weather

eco-friendly pork ribs, herb-brined, spice rubbed and charcoal/hickory smoked

south carolina-style mustard bbq sauce

braised collards

fresh corn polenta

banana pudding with 'nilla wafer/almond crumbs

sierra nevada glissade

in honor of the crazy-warm weather

eco-friendly pork ribs, herb-brined, spice rubbed and charcoal/hickory smoked

south carolina-style mustard bbq sauce

braised collards

fresh corn polenta

banana pudding with 'nilla wafer/almond crumbs

sierra nevada glissade

That sound's wonderful. I still have two packages of eco-friendly pork ribs in my freezer waiting for nice weather. Reminds me I need to get my smoker from my brother-in-law down in Appomattox. Someday soon hopefully.

Avocado, tomato, and frisee salad with Caesar dressing

Striped bass with potatoes and olives

The fish recipe was in the New York Times recently, adapted from Jonathan Waxman's Italian, My Way. It's a very simple recipe. Thinly sliced yellow potatoes go into a casserole dish and are drizzled with olive oil and seasoned with salt and pepper. They bake 20 minutes at 425F. Then the fish, seasoned on the flesh side with more s&p, goes on top of the potatoes, skin side up and drizzled with more oil. At that point, the recipe calls for pitted picholine olives to be scattered around. I couldn't find any labeled picholine so used green olives stuffed with garlic. Then add some bay leaves on top, cover, and bake another 20 minutes or until the fish is done. Serve with lemon wedges (except I forgot that part B) ).

The original recipe called for 2 lbs. each of fish and potatoes, which I halved. It says 1 cup olives, which is probably about what I used, but I didn't measure.

Last night: Lenten Friday seafood dinner. Shrimp Penang-- I combine a few tbsp. of Thai Kitchen's Red Curry with Lite Coconut Milk (and a little bit of Thai red chili pepper) to make the sauce for the dish. Safeway's colossal shrimp @ $9.99/lb were a great deal; meaty, EZ peel and no trace of iodine! My veggies were green beans, onions and bell peppers. Served with Thai basil, over brown jasmine rice.

I know it's totally bastardized (oh yeah....added peanut butter too!) but it was good! Lots of leftovers that I'm enjoying for lunch now!

Friday:

VA Lamb's shoulder chops braised w fire-roasted tomatoes, spring onions, garlic, thyme, rosemary, red wine, stock and oil-cured olives

Fava beans thrown in braising liquid towards the end (these w grated Stoneyman cheese)

Patate al forno all'inglese [peeled chunks boiled five minutes first, then roasted in duck fat and olive oil]

Last night:

Frisee and herb salad with avocado

Meatloaf wrapped in bacon

Steamed haricots verts

Tonight:

Crab Eggs Benedict with avocado

Antipasto plate:

Olives

Pickled Cherry peppers

Prosciutto rolls stuffed with buffalo mozzarella

Marinated asparagus-artichoke-green bean salad

Friday:

VA Lamb's shoulder chops braised w fire-roasted tomatoes, spring onions, garlic, thyme, rosemary, red wine, stock and oil-cured olives

Fava beans thrown in braising liquid towards the end (these w grated Stoneyman cheese)

Patate al forno all'inglese [peeled chunks boiled five minutes first, then roasted in duck fat and olive oil]

Sounds luscious. How now the duck fat?

today I made a pot of pork and green chile posole and cooked some pinto beans. at the end, I stirred the beans into the posole and made a one-pot stew.

Homemade vegetarian miso soup. It was so comforting on a chilly day like today.

Dessert: Slice of chocolate torte from WF. This wasn't bad tonight (Clarendon WF bakery is hit or miss). Little man enjoyed his portion.

Also, muscat grapes from Clarendon WF. $2.99 per pound. Really tasty.

I bought a whole chicken on thursday and used the legs and thighs for a south Indian curry. Had about a pound of chicken breast meat left so I made some Thai food last night. I made laap gai, kai jiow (fried egg), gai pad grapao (chicken with holy basil) ( I was very excited to find real holy basil this early in the spring), gai pad mamuang himmapan (chicken with cashews), gaeng jued pakkad dong (pickled mustard green soup, not pictured) and jasmine rice. Happy Songkran everybody! B)

5606266146_d510655336.jpg

Rapini sautéed with olive oil and chili flakes, served over quinoa and topped with pecorino romano.

Pink grapefruit and jicama salad dressed with key lime and olive oil. That's the last of the smallest jicama I could find at Super H, and it was one of the biggest ones I've ever seen. Don't they grow them small anymore?

Friday night (dinner gathering with a few friends, one of whom is a vegetarian) -

Grilled eggplant salad with arugula, caramelized onion and fennel, and goat cheese

Grilled tandoori tofu kebabs with sweet potatoes, mushrooms, and red onions

Grilled apples (marinated in OJ, ginger, mint, and honey) with vanilla frozen yogurt

Last night -

Quick sweet and sour chicken breast

Sauteed spinach

basmati rice mixed with caramelized onions

Inspired, I am guessing, by that recipe for Mujaddara? I finally got around to making it and really liked it, too.

Dean's torte verde as posted in baking thread.

Whole wheat couscous w red onion, mint, lemon, Aleppo pepper and radishes sautéed with carrots

Champagne mango

Thing about escarole is that even when the leaves are cut into smallish pieces, they pretty much stay intact vs. your kales, etc. In other words, they sort of worked like raincoats in contact with beaten egg and cheese whereas other greens would melted more and amalgamated with the wet and grated ingredients. Consequently, the muffin-tinned cakes struck me as more eggy than I recall in the original version tasted at Dupont Circle. Still good and change from the pizza or more Easter-pie dishes I sometimes prepare w the vegetable.

Inspired, I am guessing, by that recipe for Mujaddara? I finally got around to making it and really liked it, too.

Yes, I had originally thought about making mujaddara but I didn't have any of the precooked Trader Joe's lentils, and wasn't in the mood to cook dried ones. I had a small tub of caramelized onions in the fridge that I made last week, and I just stirred some into the rice. J liked it a lot, even without the spiced yogurt. I actually had an opportunity to chat with a Lebanese woman who co-owns a catering business with her son. She had never heard of serving mujaddara with the spiced yogurt, as in the food52.com recipe, whose author said she'd had it with the yogurt in an Israeli restaurant. But seriously, basmati rice and caramelized onions is delish.

Shrimp and Cheddar grits from Real Simple [substituted a spicy sausage for the bacon]. My Southerner wife did not like the texture of my Northerner grits so she thinned them with some cream.

We had an ’06 Barthod villages Chambolle. This is the fourth villages ’06 that we have had in three weeks and they are starting to show really well right now…

A clean out the produce drawer dinner of potato soup made with mirepoix. With a little Irish cheddar and sourdough toast, not a bad showing for a fairly bare fridge.

I did something similar on Wed. night--soup w/leeks, fennel, potatoes, parsnip, frozen stock and whole grain toast. Thurs. night was iceberg wedge salad with blue cheese dressing, charcoal grilled strip steak and mashed potatoes.

chicken with apricot, tamarind and chipotle sauce* made with chicken thighs

oven roasted asparagus

orzo with roasted garlic and olives

TJ's coconut mochi

pomagranate coolers with lime and mint

*this is a Jewish-Mexican recipe, supposedly, but I didn't think it could be either without onion. I also used less sugar, added a drizzle of honey and added some bay leaves and sliced meyer lemon to the pot. It tasted middle-eastern, not surprisingly.

Romaine, Campari tomatoes, cucumber, radishes, green olives; vinaigrette

Four cheese agnolotti (store-bought) with cheesy bacon sauce

I don't know what to call the pasta sauce. It was kind of an Alfredo-carbonara hybrid. I didn't measure anything, but it came out really well. Cream cheese, sour cream, butter, Parmesan, black pepper, chopped parsley and crumbled bacon.

ETA: Dessert was a parfait of homemade lime curd, strawberries, and lemon yogurt, garnished with a Cadbury flake. I was tempted to add whipped cream, and I think it would have balanced things better, but I figured we'd already consumed enough fat and calories without it.

I wish I could grill at my house. Alas, I cannot. Therefore, it will be:

salad

oven roasted asparagus and new potatoes

dry aged ribeye marinated in hum liqueur with onions and green and red peppers

and i have some wine and blue cheese and a still warm ciabatta roll

Lamb kofta

Eggplant and chickpea salad

Minted garlic Greek yogurt

And after a month-long stomach bug (thank you, Asia!), during which I've been too tired to cook or even eat decently, I'm finally feeling human again. I tried both of these recipes for the first time tonight, and they're both winners. The kofta has great flavor and is very moist, maybe partly because of the yogurt in the meat mixture; I added some onions to the eggplant sautee for the salad, and it turned out quite nicely--a great hummos/baba ghanoush hybrid.