Dinner - The Polyphonic Food Blog

JPW

Rockfish w asparagus, ramps and shitake in beurre fondue

Brown basmati rice w slivered ramp leaves, chives, watercress and parsley

Sauvignon blanc

HD strawberry ice cream*

*Because it was on sale and just about every other flavor including my favorite raspberry sorbet and vanilla frozen yogurt swirl contains corn syrup B) I remember when Ben & Jerry first replaced HD in our hearts because the flavors were so cool, then, over time, the quality of ingredients rose in priorities and I switched back. Another reason to avoid buying ice cream at the supermarket.

Main course based on a section of Think like a Chef that Tom Colicchio devotes to dishes w ramps, morels and asparagus. Really like the book. Sauce separated, most likely because I was a wuss and wouldn't add an entire stick of butter to half the recipe.

Dupont market-inspired meal last night! We started with a small salad of Romaine, kalamata olives, Keswick feta and campari tomatoes with a vinaigrette, followed by stinging nettle veloute with a dollop of Fage:

nettlesoup-1.jpg

Main: Tree and Leaf braised escarole and beans, oven roasted tomatoes with balsamic and rice vinegar, rosemary and dijon potatoes and EcoFriendly rack of lamb persillade (don't adjust your monitors, it is overdone B) )

lambpersillade-1.jpg

Double chocolate toffee biscotti.

Tonight:

Romaine-herb salad with radishes, plum tomatoes, cucumber, and oil-cured black olives; viniagrette

Baked ham (slices from a very small Neiman Ranch one; whatever is left will go into au gratin potatoes on Easter)

Leftover chipotle sweet potatoes

Leftover pasta shells and cheese

and one of my favorite foods from this time of year, matzo. I buy them every year, even though I'm not Jewish. This year's selection is Yehuda Matzos, which I found at Whole Foods and are better than what I usually buy.

Roasted broccoli with pecorino romano and chili flakes over fusilli. Meh on the quinoa/rice fusilli.

Celery root rémoulade with a small apple in it. The apple was an afterthought because I accidentally oversalted, but the sweetness went nicely in the salad.

Garlic chive drop biscuits.

Dinner at friends' last night. A visiting friend made the dinner: Poached salmon over spinach (I think--dark cooked greens) and also chicken parts roasted over root vegetables (parsnips, beets, and butternut squash). I contributed a tossed salad (romaine, baby romaine, cucumber, radishes, plum tomatoes, roasted red pepper strips, bacon, oil-cured black olives and homemade balsamic vinaigrette). I also brought along a French raw milk blue cheese (forget the name) to add to the salad for those who like that kind of thing B). It turned out that the blue cheese was fantastic with the roasted beets.

Yesterday, made (eco-friendly) lamb laap (larb) and Som Tam (green papaya salad) to take to a party:

5652185456_c1943058f8.jpg

Tonight, Rajasthani murgh ka soola (grilled chicken marinated with yogurt, fried onions and garlic, chillies and spices), with chapatis, sook aloo (fried potatoes) and chickpeas with squash and tomatoes.

5652189902_eab694e506.jpg

A nice change from the typical ham or lamb for Easter.

I was feeling the same way but wanted to incorporate lamb and ham into the meal.

Pan-seared deviled eggs over baby romaine (salad dressing made from excess egg filling); Fontina and artichoke “croutons”*

Armenian lamb cumin meatballs with Greek yogurt & mint dipping sauce

Au gratin potatoes with cubed ham (Gruyere & extra sharp cheddar cheeses)

Roasted green and purple asparagus with lemon and tarragon

*I had gotten an idea for this reading about the Palena artichoke-fontina panini, which I've never had. My plan was to make a regular-sized grilled sandwich and then cut it into maybe 8 or 10 small pieces and scatter over the salad like croutons. It wasn't entirely successful. For one thing, the country bread I used had enough holes in it that filling was spilling out, so I only managed to cut it into four pieces. Any more, and it would have been a mess. I also think I cut the bread too thick. Making smaller sandwiches and cutting them in halves or thirds would probably have worked better. I'm going to try this again and see if I can improve upon my technique.

The sandwich pieces tasted good, though. I made an artichoke spread with one can of hearts, some mascarpone cheese, tarragon, salt, pepper, and a squeeze of lemon juice, all whirred a bit in the food processor.

Slow-roasted pork shoulder

I finally got around to cooking a three-pound slab I picked up at the Dupont Circle market from Cedarbrook in cooler weather. Originally, I was thinking about an elaborate dish that Suzanne Goin created for her Sunday dinners at Lucques which calls for a Mexican combination of spices plus veal and chicken stock, served over polenta. Everything I've made from The Lee Brothers' Southern cookbook has been fabulous, so I figured why not try this instead? I decided not to cut the amount of sauce in half, figuring leftovers would be good for pasta. However, I doubt there will be leftovers. After one meal, I had a quart-sized container of pulled pork shreds and a pint of delicious solid, gelled tomato sauce. If you try the recipe, I recommend the longer cooking time: I did 1/2 hour at 400 F and 3 1/2 hours at 300 F.

Too tired for the beer that will accompany leftovers last night:

Sandwich w oven-bbq pork on Atwater's hamburger bun [a portion sliced off to toast separately since it's a bit too substantial]

Slaw of Tuscan kale, carrots (Tree & Leaf) & spring onions (Best Way)

Pink Lady apple (Three Springs)

FYI: Whole Foods has what might be a new brand of organic, DOP San Marzano tomato I really liked. Canned in tomato purée, unfortunately, so ratio of fruit to thick sauce is very disappointing. Flavor is great, though, and the inside of the can is not coated with that white plastic that contains BPAs.

If hardly more than a sip or two, I raised my glass to Zora who is being tenderly fed Jell-O in a strange bed that cranks up in the back. Here's to knees that please and trips to the market without a cane!

French-cut chicken breast w green garlic, ramps, morels and asparagus

A little cider and white wine for quick braise; finished with a little heavy cream from Clear Springs Creamery (new!) and chives. Morels from Spring Valley's woods in West Virginia.

If hardly more than a sip or two, I raised my glass to Zora who is being tenderly fed Jell-O in a strange bed that cranks up in the back. Here's to knees that please and trips to the market without a cane!

Here's wishing Zora an uneventful and speedy recovery.

Happy to eat the last of my greens and to see the first-of-the-season tomatoes and corn in my CSA.

Corn and tomatoes!! So jealous. My plants are only six inches tall!

Well, I haven't seen corn and tomatoes (not readily, anyway) in Georgia yet, but my CSA uses the "within a one-day drive" definition of local, so these goodies are coming from Florida. Soon, though!

Last night's dinner -

Healthy baked chicken nuggets

Easy garlic cheddar biscuits

Both recipes from skinnytaste.com, a new obsession of mine since hubby and I are working on a diet/lifestyle change. Even though I've tried baked/breaded chicken a hundred times, these nuggets were the best I've attempted. The biscuits were also very tasty - sure, not Red Lobster Cheddar Bay quality, but in the same ballpark (and WAY less damaging).

On Tuesday I had chapitis (with ghee!) raita, dhania tomatar moogodi (mung bean dumplings in cilantro and tomato sauce), and leftover chicken (murgh ka soola)

5666057496_78ea2c0024.jpg

Last night was masaladar sem (green beans in tomato garlic chilli sauce), leftover mung bean dumplings, raita, brown basmanti rice with spinach and onions, papads, and tomato chutney

5666060386_ef2f18c53a.jpg

On Tuesday I had chapitis (with ghee!) raita, dhania tomatar moogodi (mung bean dumplings in cilantro and tomato sauce), and leftover chicken (murgh ka soola)

5666057496_78ea2c0024.jpg

Last night was masaladar sem (green beans in tomato garlic chilli sauce), leftover mung bean dumplings, raita, brown basmanti rice with spinach and onions, papads, and tomato chutney

5666060386_ef2f18c53a.jpg

Strawberries driven from South Carolina

Radishes with butter and salt

Bean soup with turnip and radish greens, topped with pecorino romano cheese

In stark contrast, snow in Colorado called for:

short ribs braised in beef stock, red wine, sage, thyme, and rosemary, topped with a gremolata of parsley, rosemary, thyme, lemon, and garlic

smashed* baby Yukon golds with scallions

steamed haricots verts with lemon

*I like these unpeeled and not of a puréed consistency, but chunky. It's not that I don't like smooth whipped potatoes, but for this, I wanted just crazy buttery smashed-up potatoes. Win.

I was inspired to make Tortilla Soup yesterday after recently enjoying a bowl of it at Tommy Bahama's in Naples, FL. I don't know why I've never made it before-it seemed elusive for some reason, which it shouldn't...it's very easy to make. In fact, i bought a rotisserie chicken from the supermarket to make life easier. Topped with shredded Monterey Jack (not sure that's authentic at all!) and fried corn tortilla strips.

Last night was very lazy but good. I picked up a takeout pizza with a spinach artichoke topping (essentially spinach-artichoke dip), gussied it up with some blanched asparagus spears and lightly fried eggs, and popped it in a hot oven for a couple of minutes. Then I sprinkled some grated Parmesan over top and served. I would mostly totally do that again.

Country terrine (Pedro Matamoros collaborated on recipe for slabs made with Evensong Farm's pork)

Claire's camembert

Cornichons & mustard

French breakfast radishes, Irish butter & fleur de seul

Baguette from Le Pain Quotidian

Cheap Bordeaux (note vinegary pickles with, but later:)

Simple green salad w butter lettuce, shallot vinaigrette and chives

Perfect for backyard in spring.

Pita bread and hummus

Salad of butter lettuce, baby arugula, radishes, cucumber, bacon, tomato, chives, and goat cheese; Caesar dressing

Brown rice with zucchini and edamame in spicy soy-sesame sauce

Methi aloo with little potatoes from a Carolina farmers' market

Stuffed eggplant with eggplants from Super H (Julie Sahni recipe)

Blackberry Meyer lemonade

I had planned on making some traditional sorghum roti, but we were low on sorghum flour, and I didn't want to go out again. After this meal, I realized I should use Julie Sahni's Classic Indian Vegetarian and Grain Cooking much more frequently than I do. I'll make the breads soon with another meal from her book.

I had planned on making some traditional sorghum roti, but we were low on sorghum flour, and I didn't want to go out again. After this meal, I realized I should use Julie Sahni's Classic Indian Vegetarian and Grain Cooking much more frequently than I do. I'll make the breads soon with another meal from her book.

Yes! I recently rediscovered this book as well. I've been meaning to make Dhebra again (Gujarati millet/squash bread p.409-410). I got a bag of millet flour (bajra atta) from the Indian grocery when I remembered how good those were. There's lots of great stuff in that book.

Last night "east Indian" (Mumbai) chicken curry and brown jasmine rice.

5686538563_355d178e0a.jpg

Flank steak marinated in scallion, sage, rosemary, thyme, salt, pepper, Worcestershire, soy, and merlot, seared on a hot griddle and finished in a hot oven and under the broiler

Roasted asparagus

Cremini mushrooms sautéed in roasted garlic butter

I didn't have a grill or grill pan at my disposal, which is how I always do flank steak, so I was a bit concerned it wasn't going to turn out right, but it was just great this way. Per Mark Bittman's recent piece on asparagus, I peeled the very thick stalks I had -- I don't think I've bothered to peel asparagus since I was a kid and it was my job during dinner prep -- and they were excellent with just a bit of good olive oil, sea salt, and black pepper.

But the star of this meal was the mushroom dish. I made the mistake of shopping at Whole Foods while hungry, and couldn't pass up a tub of roasted-garlic butter. Could I have made roasted garlic butter? Sure. Did I have the time or inclination to do so? Not so much. Were mushrooms sautéed in this stuff one of the most delicious things I've eaten in I don't know how long? OhmyfreakinggoshYES.