Dinner - The Polyphonic Food Blog

JPW

Kid with the flu who hadn't felt like eating all day: chicken soup, tuna sandwich, ice water

Kid without the flu: leftover pasta with olive oil & parm, Italian sausage, sauteed red pepper & onions, grape tomatoes, glass of milk

Mom: uhhhh, forgot to eat

No wonder I'm sitting here feeling hungry. :)

Maine sweet shrimp, squid and lobster tail soup made with cubes of potato and creme fraiche but I won't call it a chowder without bacon: base was shrimp shell stock and finished with a splash of Pernod and chiffonade of basil

oven roasted asparagus

rest of the rustic pear tart, vanilla ice cream and chocolate sauce

2009 Villa Maria sauvignon blanc

Dinner with my neighbor, whose daughter is around little man's age - so nice to have playdate/dinner combos:

Nori with Japanese Mixed Rice (Takikomi)

Egg rolls with shitake, bamboo shoots, carrots and napa (friend's recipe)

Tempura-battered Whitefish fillets (forgot what kind of white fish I bought)

Pork with Daikon soup

Cold ocha for the kids and friends, but hot ocha for me.

Such a feast!

Olive bread and Kalamata evoo

Salad of radicchio, Belgian endive, cucumber, celery, red bell pepper, chickpeas, feta and croutons; vinaigrette

Pork meatballs in tomato sauce

Leftover egg noodles

Green peas and whole petite mushrooms in white wine cream sauce

Last night -

Couscous stuffed chicken breast (couscous stuffing also had goat cheese, chopped tomatoes, oregano, parsley, lemon zest, and garlic)

Sauteed green beans

Wheat dinner rolls

The chicken had amazing flavor, but the jellyroll-stuffing method definitely needs the help of some toothpicks or kitchen twine, neither of which I had on hand. Oh, well - ugly food can still taste good!

Cabbage, potato, and bean soup. Sounds weird, but tasted pretty good.

Sourdough bread from Caboose.

It is a Basque regional dish that is usually flavored with ham hocks. My wife has made it before and despite my reluctance it was surprisingly good! What recipe did you use [she used bacon and not ham hocks]?

It is a Basque regional dish that is usually flavored with ham hocks. My wife has made it before and despite my reluctance it was surprisingly good! What recipe did you use [she used bacon and not ham hocks]?

I didn't use a recipe - I just used what I had in the kitchen: a jar of beans (16 bean soup mix, home-canned and ready to go at a moment's notice), half a Savoy cabbage, and a rather sad looking potato from the counter. I started with mirepoix and vegetable stock, and there was also some red wine from deglazing the mirepoix. I had no idea I was making a "real" dish!

I didn't use a recipe - I just used what I had in the kitchen: a jar of beans (16 bean soup mix, home-canned and ready to go at a moment's notice), half a Savoy cabbage, and a rather sad looking potato from the counter. I started with mirepoix and vegetable stock, and there was also some red wine from deglazing the mirepoix. I had no idea I was making a "real" dish!

you must have basque ancestry :) . i found this on epicurious: Cabbage and White Bean Soup. i think my wife followed something from a magazine...

Hummus with sun dried tomatoes--carrots and celery for dipping

"Italian" Dip sandwiches--large pork loin seared and braised (on Sunday) in white wine and chicken broth with bay, thyme, rosemary and oregano. Served on remaining brioche buns with sharp provolone shards and jus for dipping.

Homemade Parker House rolls and honey butter

Pear, prosciutto, and fennel salad with sherry vinaigrette

Mushroom cheese ravioli stacks, layered with mint-pea pesto and spicy lamb tomato sauce

Chocolate-dipped clementines

Ben and Jerry's mint chocolate chunk ice cream

you must have basque ancestry :) .

Hmmm. I may need to have a seance to talk to my Irish Grandmothers about this. :)

Roasted butternut squash and tiny fingerling potatoes in a lime, chipotle, cilantro dressing.

Salad of the hardy things that survived all winter in the cold frame: a few leaves of Rouge d'Hiver and buttercrunch lettuce and mâche, dressed in a walnut oil vinaigrette.

Sourdough bread from Caboose - we both think they got new starter because the bread is much improved even from a couple of weeks ago.

Margaritas

Sablés, just to make it multicultural.

Valentine's dinner was a day late with grilled Lamb's Quarter delmonicos with blue cheese, butternut squash risotto and parmesan-crusted asparagus. Oh, started with a salad of hydroponic butter lettuce, watercress, feta, hazelnuts and segmented oranges with an blood orange vinaigrette.

delmonicodinner-1.jpg

Valentine's dinner was a day late with grilled Lamb's Quarter delmonicos with blue cheese, butternut squash risotto and parmesan-crusted asparagus. Oh, started with a salad of hydroponic butter lettuce, watercress, feta, hazelnuts and segmented oranges with an blood orange vinaigrette.

delmonicodinner-1.jpg

I sort of half read your post while looking at the picture, and thought at first that you had made a blood-orange risotto. Couldn't that be good?

Did anyone else grill tonight? With this weather, I just had to. Wow, it felt really good to be back at the grill. So, our dinner was really early, since I wanted to finish before it got dark -- don't have great lighting on the deck. Also, since we are both trying to shed a few pounds after the indulgences of the holiday season, meal was very simple.

Grilled butterflied leg of lamb rubbed with middle eastern/mediterranean spices

Sauteed kale with garlic

Steamed broccoli

Grilling sounds nice, but I really didn't believe we were going to have such warmth when I purchased my groceries. So with Siberian and Red Russian kale I picked up from Next Step Produce on Sunday:

Caldo verde (homemade chicken stock)

Greek-style yogurt w whole-berry cranberry sauce

FYI A&H Seafood has Portuguese-style sausage from Connecticut, though I used a little Spanish chorizo instead.

Dinner tonight took inspiration from a post over at 101 Cookbooks. Instead of farro, I used quinoa, and changed things up to suit the state of the pantry and garden by adding in a can of tomatoes that I hit with the immersion blender, a couple of semi-crushed garlic cloves, bay leaves, and pecorino romano to finish. I used the rice cooker because the oven was already full. Pretty tasty.

Fingerling potatoes roasted with rosemary.

Roasted broccoli with red pepper flakes.

last night and leftovers shortly - pat's suggestion of james beard's coq au riesling.

substituted pancetta for salt pork, pearl onions for white onions and brandy for cognac. also did not have a "sweet" alsatian riesling so used a drier alsatian one instead. the description talks about the german influence of noodles to the region. a friend suggested going to the german gourmet. ironically on my way there my german/alsatian friend called me and he said to not waste my time an just put it over egg noodles but i was almost there and committed. ended up using spaetzle since they did not have a "fine" noodle.

this was a very simple recipe and had very nice delineation of flavors. it turned out better than my cooking abilities!

thanks pat!

does anyone know how much difference would have cognac made?

Did they say it was wild? Pig farmers refer to the small coterie of intact males they raise as boar. Once the animals retire from impregnating sows, they are sent to meat processors.

It said it was wild boar. Didn't have a chance to quiz Steve (the butcher) about it. Next time I'm there I'll ask him where he gets it.

It said it was wild boar. Didn't have a chance to quiz Steve (the butcher) about it. Next time I'm there I'll ask him where he gets it.

I dimly remember reading here some years back that "wild boar" is a designation for non-domesticated breeds, even if they're raised in captivity, and not "wild" in the sense that they were free-roaming or hunted. Was it Dean holding forth on cinghiale?

Parker House rolls with honey butter

Baby spinach salad with grape tomatoes, croutons, and white balsamic vinaigrette

Spaghetti with spicy lamb tomato sauce

(This is for my husband. I had way too much lunch to eat dinner :) .)

Roasted butternut squash with leeks and sage that were sautéed in brown butter, finished with parm and served over quinoa that was cooked in vegetable stock.

L: Have you seen this warm lentil salad w butternut squash at Smitten Kitchen? DO NOT skip the mint or the arugula. Someone prepared it for a cooking demonstration at the farmers market this weekend and twas pretty amazing.

L: Have you seen this warm lentil salad w butternut squash at Smitten Kitchen? DO NOT skip the mint or the arugula. Someone prepared it for a cooking demonstration at the farmers market this weekend and twas pretty amazing.

That sounds really good. Thanks! I've got three more squashes sitting up on the curing shelf where I put them at the end of last year's growing season. I've turned into a squash snob :) - I think most of them don't get left on the vine long enough to ripen, and they end up looking and tasting a little anemic. (Note SK's beige squash.) I may not buy any until I get more off the vines this summer, and I was trying to decide how to use these three. I'll give this recipe a try.

I was inspired by the latest Cook's Illustrated (and Safeway's $.99/lb chicken) to make Peruvian Garlic-Lime Chicken* with Spicy Mayonaise. In lieu of and upright roaster, I used an empty can to keep it vertical while baking, and the chicken came out moist, tender and flavorful. I should mention that I marinated it for 24 hours in a zip-baggie. I'd recommend giving this a try, especially those of you who have sought to replicated the "Pollo..." chicken experience so loved in the DC region, in your home.

*I didn't have habenero so I used Chile de Arbol. Honestly, not being a chile pepper afficionado (not for want of loving), I don't know if this was a good sub other than the end result was delicious.

last night and leftovers shortly - pat's suggestion of james beard's coq au riesling.

substituted pancetta for salt pork, pearl onions for white onions and brandy for cognac. also did not have a "sweet" alsatian riesling so used a drier alsatian one instead. the description talks about the german influence of noodles to the region. a friend suggested going to the german gourmet. ironically on my way there my german/alsatian friend called me and he said to not waste my time an just put it over egg noodles but i was almost there and committed. ended up using spaetzle since they did not have a "fine" noodle.

this was a very simple recipe and had very nice delineation of flavors. it turned out better than my cooking abilities!

thanks pat!

does anyone know how much difference would have cognac made?

I'm glad you liked this. I think he means pearl onions when he says small white onions, especially since it calls for so many of them. That's what I always use. The Rieslings I've used for this have probably all been fairly dry, as I recall having trouble locating a Riesling that matches his description. I think that's just his ideal pick. The Cognac I use is an inexpensive one I buy for cooking, so I'd think pretty much any brandy should work fine.

I'm not that fond of fine egg noodles and use a medium one for this if I use any at all. Spaetzle sounds like it would be good with this.