Dinner - The Polyphonic Food Blog

JPW

Irish beef stew, altered, though I liked the fact that the recipe calls for so little meat and lots of vegetables; also note the lack of thickener which wasn't needed. Three Yukon Gold potatoes vs. three pounds Russets. Turnips. More onions, much less stock. 12 oz. Dogfish & 4 of Cognac vs. 8 oz. each Guinness & red wine. Vietnamese fish sauce vs. Worcestershire. Etc. Meat fished out the second day and cooked another two hours in beef stock. Hot herbal tea. Triple-ginger cookie.

Kickin' chicken from EcoFriendly. Oven-roasted, rubbed with butter, evoo, s&p, stuffed with rosemary, thyme and parsely along with lemon, orange and onion. Served au jus with the roasted pan vegetables.

Smashed yams and parsnips.

Green beans with pancetta.

Sauteed mushroom with butter and thyme.

Cold weather comfort food - highbrow cheese grits. Grits cooked with pumpkin, then asiago, chêvre, and part of a small wheel of some kind of soft rind goat cheese were stirred in along with mushrooms and onions pan-fried in butter then simmered with red wine. A couple of shirred eggs on top, some hot sauce, a roasted sweet potato on the side, and the food coma can commence.

last night:

chiles rellenos (poblanos stuffed with a mix of cave-aged Vermont cheddar and P'tit Basque, breaded with fresh-ground nixtamal and fried)

ranchero sauce

La Costeña refried beans

leftover rice pilaf mixed with peas

warm TJ's corn tortillas with butter

pico de gallo

Smuttynose Old Brown Dog ale

comice pear with TJ's butter-almond crispy cookies

tonight:

cheekstravaganza! braised veal cheeks and pork cheeks*, after four days in cooked wine marinade

mashed rutabagas

pan-browned brussels sprouts

brown butter pecan shortbread cookies, warm from the oven

2005 El Castro de Valtuille Bierzo

*reorganizing the freezer last week, I found two packages of each that I'd stashed months ago and forgotten about. Slow braised for about four hours. Man, them were good!

Sunday gravy (yes I know it's Saturday): hot Italian turkey sausage, mirepoix (now I'm mixing languages), tomato paste, some Pinot Noir, San Marzano plum tomatoes in juice, loads of oregano, rosemary, garlic, sage, a few bay leaves, simmered all day. My house smells awesome right now. Over tagliatelle (dried) with fresly grated pecorino.

Romaine and radicchio salad with mustard-red wine vinaigrette

Panettone for dessert

Deck the halls with carbohydrates ... but yum.

Sunday gravy (yes I know it's Saturday): hot Italian turkey sausage, mirepoix (now I'm mixing languages), tomato paste, some Pinot Noir, San Marzano plum tomatoes in juice, loads of oregano, rosemary, garlic, sage, a few bay leaves, simmered all day. My house smells awesome right now. Over tagliatelle (dried) with fresly grated pecorino.

If you watch Lidia Bastianich, you learn to call it pestata when you are cooking Italian food.

If you watch Lidia Bastianich, you learn to call it pestata when you are cooking Italian food.

Translation: paste (pounded or crushed ingredients). Often Italians call mirepoix "soffritto", like the Spanish word. "Battuto" is also common as a way to refer to a finely chopped, sautéed :) mixture that serves as a base in flavoring soup, stew, braise or sauce.

Last night- a tossed salad with feta and sun dried tomato dressing, yellow split pea soup with ham and buttered homemade bread.

Tonight is taco night! From a box kit! Mr. MV loves this and he's able to make tacos for me, which I love. I had pre-made a rice dish of a brown rice combination, Goyo sofrito and black beans to go along.

I think we'll enjoy some double chocolate walnut biscotti a bit later :)

Salad (romaine, bell peppers, bacon, grape tomatoes, brie, nicoise olives, homemade croutons; vinaigrette)

Tuna spread with capers and olives on toast points, topped with finely chopped cornichons

Leftover chicken noodle soup with wild rice and broccoli

The tuna spread was from this recipe. It was a bonus leftover from a friend's party. I love this stuff. Adding the cornichons made it even better.

Tonight, swiss chard and crimini mushrooms seasoned with onion and garlic, braised in red wine, finished with some hot sauce and lemon juice, served over pan-fried polenta cakes.

Oven-roasted asparagus

Crusty bread with chêvre

A sidecar for the cook

The polenta was made in the new rice cooker (Santa came early). Put in the cornmeal, water, and salt, hit the button, life is good. What a fabulous machine.

Pepper-bacon-wrapped pork tenderloin with a bit of a Cabernet-red wine vinegar reduction

Roasted broccoli with garlic

Rustic sourdough with gorgonzola

Random chocolates

2007 Petite Sirah from the Dry Creek Valley

Because nothing says, "Hey, guess what my boss got me for Christmas? A promotion!" like pork-wrapped pork.

Because nothing says, "Hey, guess what my boss got me for Christmas? A promotion!" like pork-wrapped pork.

Congratulations!

oven-roasted herb-brined Eco-Friendly chicken

Rancho Gordo cannelini beans cooked with aromatics and a piece of Eco-Friendly smoked hock, served soupy style with garlic-toasted croutons

oven-roasted asparagus

comice pear

2008 Cantina Zaccagnini montepulciano

That's wonderful! Merry Christmas to you!

For dinner, I gorged at my office party on some awesome Senegalese food catered by a company whose name I sadly don't know. Mmmm... jollof rice...

Please amplify. Intrigued.

I used the Crook's Corner persimmon pudding recipe that you so kindly found, and substituted quince for the persimmon (I had a bowlful of quinces needing to be used and no persimmons). I peeled, sliced, sauteed and lightly steamed the quince until it was soft, and then pureed in the Vitamix. Turned out quite tasty and was well-received by the family. I like the flavor (and color) of persimmon even more, but quince worked very well.

Christmas Eve dinner:

Spiced Pumpkin Soup | Toasted pumpkin seeds

Whole Grain Mustard Rolls | Honey butter

Stuffed Bacon-Wrapped Pork Loin Roast | Sausage, prune, apple, sage, thyme

Mixed Grains | Wild rice, brown rice, barley

Escalloped Apples | Cinnamon, nutmeg, Irish butter

cocktails: me - pine liqueur/spiced syrup/white wine; he - manhattan with antica formula; she - Aperol spritzer

Chaource and baguette slices

spiced olives and Marcona almonds

herb-crusted roast leg of lamb

kabocha squash and chickpea tagine

cucumbers in yogurt, mint, chives and cilantro

oven-roasted asparagus

basmati rice

2008 Luna Beberide mencia

ginger cake with sweetened whip cream

fresh mint tea,

What we used to call "dinnah" when we lived in Vermont: a large, weekend mid-afternoon meal.

homemade vegetarian refried beans

TJ's soy chorizo (not bad, actually)

Maine sweet shrimp, poached in shrimp shell stock

rajas de poblanos

white rice

guacamole and tortilla chips

pico de gallo

grated jack cheese

shredded iceberg lettuce

warm tortillas

5291221901_4389b5ca86.jpg

My Jew-boy Christmas, lamb Biriyani, with katchumbar. Nothing says Christmas like Persian influenced north Indian Muslim food. Delicious!

I was denied my Chinese food this year (by celebrating with my non-Jewish in-laws). I'm jealous. Well done! Merry stuff and things to you!

Christmas Dinner:

Romaine Salad | Radicchio, pistachios, dried cranberries

Wild Mushroom and Goat Cheese Quesadillas | Cranberry-pecan salsa

Standing Rib Roast | Roasted garlic, thyme, Szechuan and Tellicherry peppercorns

Roasted Onions | Parmesan, heavy cream, sage, thyme

Mashed Potatoes | Roasted garlic, heavy cream

String Beans | Toasted walnuts, walnut oil

We were planning ice cream and Christmas cookies for dessert but were too full. There are a lot of leftovers. The beef was amazing.

Arugula with stilton, sliced pears, and toasted pecans, dressed with white wine mustard vinaigrette

Roast leg of lamb with rosemary and lavender

Jus with red wine, mustard, balsamic

Herb roasted potatoes

Green beans with roasted balsamic onions

Roquefort biscuits (a la Julia)

Cranberry cheesecake with cranberry-raspberry compote

Christmas Eve dinner:

Prime rib (used this cooking method and it came out PERFECTLY)

Mashed sweet potatoes

Stuffing

Broccoli

2003 Teldeschi zinfandel

The sides were store-bought, but boy was I proud of that prime rib - I did one a week or two ago that was terrible, so I'm happy to have redeemed myself.

Christmas Eve dinner:

Prime rib (used this cooking method and it came out PERFECTLY)

Mashed sweet potatoes

Stuffing

Broccoli

2003 Teldeschi zinfandel

The sides were store-bought, but boy was I proud of that prime rib - I did one a week or two ago that was terrible, so I'm happy to have redeemed myself.

Kenji's method is the same as Alton Brown's. I'm an advocate of start-low, blast high at the end. Made this for friends this time last year, came out perfectly too.

An Aerogarden-enabled meal...

Gluten Free garlic bread with fresh oregano

Zucchini and Ayrshire Farm ground beef lasagna with fresh basil, outrageous amounts of garlic, Penzey's Pasta Sprinkle, pimentón, roasted black olive salt, and other random spice cabinet additions.

post-5654-0-17349700-1293540630_thumb.jp

post-5654-0-88656000-1293540635_thumb.jp

Last night:

Mustard rolls with honey butter

Leftover pork loin

Cranberry-pecan salsa

Leftover wild rice, brown rice, and barley

Tonight:

Roast beef tacos (iceberg lettuce, bell peppers, caramelized onions, chipotle mayo; flour tortillas)

Fried potato patties

Had our first dinner guests at the new house (my mom and dad), so I made this short rib dish that I've made before and really enjoyed. The idea was to serve everything over polenta, since last time the simmering produced a delicious pan sauce, and there needed to be a carb to soak it all up.

Well, the meat came out fine, but despite frequent checking and stirring and turning, the "sauce" ended up burning and turned into a disgusting scorched mess at the bottom of my dutch oven. So, even though the short ribs were cooked nicely and had the flavor of the braising liquid, they seemed kind of dry because of the lack of sauce. That, and my dutch oven may be past the point of salvation - we scrubbed and scraped and soaked, but there is still a layer of caked on "char." Blech.

The heat under everything was appropriate, I think, so I'm wondering if maybe something was off with the sugar content and overcaramelized? Perhaps the wine I used (a petite sirah) was the culprit?

At least the polenta was good - and the baked clams I made for an appetizer were pretty tasty (grandma's recipe).

Well, the meat came out fine, but despite frequent checking and stirring and turning, the "sauce" ended up burning and turned into a disgusting scorched mess at the bottom of my dutch oven. So, even though the short ribs were cooked nicely and had the flavor of the braising liquid, they seemed kind of dry because of the lack of sauce. That, and my dutch oven may be past the point of salvation - we scrubbed and scraped and soaked, but there is still a layer of caked on "char." Blech.

The heat under everything was appropriate, I think, so I'm wondering if maybe something was off with the sugar content and overcaramelized? Perhaps the wine I used (a petite sirah) was the culprit?

You are less likely to have this happen if you braise in the oven, where the heat surrounds the pot, rather than just being underneath. The reason it happened is because you allowed the liquid in the pot to over-reduce. It happens to all of us, so don't beat yourself up too much. To clean the pot, add a few Ts of baking soda, and enough water to cover the discolored, burned-on stuff, and simmer the pot for 15 minutes or so, then let it soak. The burned solids should release, with some elbow grease and steel wool, if needed, afterwards. If the inside of the pot is still discolored, fill the pot with hot water and add a sploosh of chlorine bleach and let it sit for a while. A good quality dutch oven is always salvageable.

This past week we have been trying to recover from the holiday parties and indulgences, so it's been mainly simple vegetable dishes with bread for dinner. Potato soup with focaccia (Baking with Julia), roasted brussels sprouts and chestnuts, braised Savoy cabbage and apples, even mashed potatoes (by request) one night. Happy cooking to everyone in the new year!

FraMani toscano salame, Humboldt Fog, olives , Lyons Bakery baguette

pan-roasted d'Artagnan duck breast with cherry-cippolini onion gastrique

sauteed brussels sprouts with bacon

potato and golden turnip gratin

pecan pie with whipped cream

2005 Maniere bourgogne

at midnight:

osetra and creme fraiche

buckwheat blini

champagne R. Dumont & fils

New Year's Eve dinner:

Flatbread and garlic hummus

Cornmeal fried oysters served on a bed of romaine with grape tomatoes, with chipotle mayo for dipping

Frank Ruta's roasted acorn squash with sage, egg and shaved Pecorino cheese

The flatbread (Middle Eastern Bakery) and hummus (Cava) were purchased. They made a good quick appetizer. We got back from a quick trip to New York late afternoon, so I didn't want to get into anything complicated for dinner. I love that squash recipe, though I don't make it very often. It's really important to use a small (about 1 1/2 lb.) squash to have the right size cavity for the egg. I've used larger ones and it still comes out okay, but the smaller ones are much better.

I'd originally planned oyster stew, but the oysters I bought were frying oysters, and I decided at the last minute to bread them in a spicy mixture of cornmeal and flour and fry them in bacon fat instead. I still had chipotle mayo left in the refrigerator from something else and that made a good dipping sauce.

a mini-choucroute garnie:

wine braised sauerkraut with onion, caraway, juniper berries, aromatics, eco-friendly smoked hock

Neiman Ranch bratwurst, poached in beer and onion, pan seared, then nested in the sauerkraut pot

yukon gold potatoes fried in duck fat

quick pickled roasted golden beets (made with Austrian cucumber vinegar)

pecan pie

Smuttynose Brown Dog ale