Dinner - The Polyphonic Food Blog

JPW

seared salmon in a white wine, dill, parsley, mustard sauce

sautéed green beans and mushrooms with garlic

really good baguette

all started off with parmesan/gruyère gougères. i think they were good insofar as when i turned around, they were mostly gone.

beer supplied by the incomparable durwoodx

(there was wine, too)

i think by the time dinner was started, i'd worked 20 of the past 24 hours. i haven't really slept. still, dinner was awesome, fun, and awesomely fun. and kinda pretty damn tasty.

Picked up some shelled black-eyed peas at the Courthouse market on Saturday and made a soup, supplemented with some Swiss chard from the back yard (the one and only thing I grew this summer).

Served it with corn bread, made with blue cornmeal from the Millwood, VA mill, and EcoFriendly turkey sausage.

Tuesday night:

Mesclun salad with tomato and green olives; vinaigrette

Braised pork chop with wheatberries

Leftover Cheddar and grits souffle

Last night

Egg salad sandwiches on mini-baguette

Beef stew with carrots, potatoes, and turnips

Love this. My French "mother" set these out several times for us for when we'd get home from lycée, and I still have no more preferred afternoon snack or amuse with aperitifs.

I'd read about the combination for years, but never tried it. Then I planted the French radishes with the white tips. Delicious. Now I just have to figure out the perfect planting schedule to keep a constant supply of radishes on hand. :(

Last night:

Tex-Mex baked ravioli “nachos”

Chicken with mushroom and jalapeno sauce

Tonight:

Guacamole, bean dip, and tortilla chips

Red leaf lettuce salad with tomato, avocado, and bell pepper

Garlic bread

Steak with mushroom and jalapeno sauce

Baked potatoes

last night:

cauliflower gratin with sauce mornay

TJ's par-baked ficelle, hot out of the oven

2009 Church Creek (VA Eastern Shore) steel chardonnay (delicious!)

tonight:

mixed charcoal grill: eco-friendly lamb leg chops, marinated 3 days in yogurt and aromatics, Stachowski merguez sausage

carrots glazed with butter, honey, young ginger and cumin

braised Tuscan Kale with balsamic vinegar

cucumber with yogurt, mint and shallots

basmati rice

TJ's mint chip ice cream sandwiches

2005 Flavium crianza

Weird but good...chicken slow-cooked most of the day with coconut milk, red curry paste (jarred--blasphemy!), lemongrass, garlic, Thai red chilies, farm share eggplant and sweet potato, and garnished with farm share Thai basil.

Had some fish sauce in there to meet the "why not" quotient, but it all needed a hell of a salt bump to bring it up to tasty.

Cutting the baby greens before the deluge:

Salad of arugula, butterhead "Buttercrunch" lettuce, red romaine "Rouge d'hiver" lettuce, Fuji apple, pecans, chêvre, a sprinkling of Spring Gap Mountain Creamery West Virginia raw milk blue cheese, all dressed with a walnut oil, sherry vinaigrette.

If you are into blue cheese, really into blue cheese, give this one a try. It is not for the fainthearted: rich, salty, sharp, creamy, earthy, mushroomy, and very umami. When I smelled it, I actually thought, "bacon." In a few years, I have a feeling their blue will be enough to make me drop to my knees and weep. It mixed well with the sharpness of the arugula and the nuts, but I did cut it with the chêvre so it didn't overwhelm. I have quiche plans for it. Leeks and mushrooms, maybe.

2006 Parducci Petite Sirah. Que sirah, sirah.

Tonight: Last of the season's sungold tomatoes, roasted and tossed w spinach spaghetti, basil and parmesan.

Salad of roasted Romanesco, heavily rinsed gigante beans, parsley, parmesan & preserved lemon drizzled w olive oil.

2006 Parducci Petite Sirah. Que sirah, sirah.

Just discovered I'm allergic to teff, so tomorrow's wat never will be served with injera.

Just discovered I'm allergic to teff, so tomorrow's wat never will be served with injera.

wat never? well, hardly ever... :(

isn't injera made with teff flour?

tonight's dinner:

eco-friendly chicken livers with onions, crimini mushrooms, bacon and balsamic pan reduction sauce

garlic mashed potatoes

zucchini with garlic

2005 Burgogne Richard Manier

FINALLY back in the kitchen, if only for a couple of days (a brief break between Chicago and my sister's upcoming wedding)...

Last night's dinner was Crispy Ginger-Lime Chicken with couscous and peas, from Martha Stewart's Fresh Flavor Fast cookbook. The skin got nice and crispy, as promised, but next time I'll go heavier on the ginger-lime. As usual, I made way too much couscous - so yay for leftovers!

Last night:

Red leaf lettuce salad with hard-boiled eggs, chicken, tomato, bacon, and croutons; Ranch dressing

Pasta casserole: Sirloin chunks, shiitake mushroom cream sauce, cavatappi, and Parmigiano Reggiano

The casserole was thrown together from various odds and ends and came out really well. Cavatappi is a great pasta shape for this type of thing. It held the sauce really well.

Did a couple of sandwiches last week:

Homemade sourdough grilled with butter, NY strip, carmelized onions in confit jelly, herbed shiitake mushrooms, baby spinach, dijon mustard, truffle oil, and St. Pete's special beer-dipped blue cheese... broiled until melted and toasty...

36141_769869358524_5317785_42771562_5920571_n.jpg

And homemade sourdough, chicken confit, roasted red pepper, basil vinaigrette, fresh mozzarella... (no photo)

Today we've moved past sandwiches to tilapia en papillote w/ roasted cauliflower puree. This was my first time making any sort of cauliflower puree - it was AWESOME. Definitely going to be a go-to side!

SWMBO made Chicken Fricassee from this month's Cook's Illustrated. She has a knack of never making a recipe according to the directions, so she halved the amount of chicken and mushrooms and kept the sauce amount the same. It was served over rice and was perfect for the two of us. I'd highly recommend it.

Sweet little poulet from EF, herb-rubbed and roasted in the oven. Served with pan juice.

Mashed potatoes with buttermilk and herbed bovre cheese from Keswick Creamery.

Rapini.

Previously for dinner (and lunch and even breakfast) I made broth for pho, inspired by fresh ginger from Next Step. Served with thin slices of a beef filet that had been in my freezer for way too long, herbs, sprouts and lots of noodles, of course.

SWMBO made Chicken Fricassee from this month's Cook's Illustrated.

Sweet little poulet from EF, herb-rubbed and roasted in the oven. Served with pan juice.

Wow, it was chicken night!

Cut-up organic SmartChicken (what I could get my hands on) rubbed with herb butter and roasted, served over rosemary croutons

Garlicky sautéed spinach

a chicken stock-making day

dinner:

stock-based soup of ham, fresh cranberry beans previously cooked with bacon, diced potato and barley

green salad with tomato and avocado

baguette toast

HD vanilla with TJ's "caramel sauce with fleur de sel" (why didn't they just call it what it is--dulce de leche?)

Plantain Quesadillas

Zucchini with roasted poblano, corn, onions, and crema (from Rick Bayless Authentic Mexican)

Rice pilaf with corn, roasted poblano, and queso fresco (also from Authentic Mexican)

Guac

Both of the Bayless recipes were really good!

Roasted chicken

Porcini tagliatelle with butter

Buttered (frozen) peas

Warm chocolate ravioli with vanilla ginger gelato and fresh mint

The tagliatelle and ravioli were from the Canales stand in Eastern Market that sells fresh pasta. Both were excellent.

ODE TO MY SOUP

Lentilles du Puy

Mais certainment, oui

Comme vous êtes ma

Raison d'être.

Yesterday I watched an old episode of Julia Child's show on the cooking channel, where she featured lentils. She made a pureed lentil "pottage" and a faux cassoulet with braised and browned meats baked on a base of lentils. The ones she used were the ordinary flat, brown ones that wreak havoc with my gut, but she made passing reference to other, fancier, expensive varieties, presumably including lentilles du Puy, which I find more digestible. Julia's such fun to watch, bumbling about, fumbling for words. And she sits at the table and serves the food, but doesn't taste it and swoon.

Yesterday I watched an old episode of Julia Child's show on the cooking channel, where she featured lentils. She made a pureed lentil "pottage" and a faux cassoulet with braised and browned meats baked on a base of lentils. The ones she used were the ordinary flat, brown ones that wreak havoc with my gut, but she made passing reference to other, fancier, expensive varieties, presumably including lentilles du Puy, which I find more digestible. Julia's such fun to watch, bumbling about, fumbling for words. And she sits at the table and serves the food, but doesn't taste it and swoon.

I enjoyed that episode yesterday too, and appreciate that Julia's show wraps up without an ode to Meg Ryan in Katz's Deli (anachronistically incorrect, but). It's just civilized, and Sarah Moulton emmulates that format. Much of The Cooking Channel's other programming is more well, like this.

Yesterday I watched an old episode of Julia Child's show on the cooking channel, where she featured lentils. She made a pureed lentil "pottage" and a faux cassoulet with braised and browned meats baked on a base of lentils. The ones she used were the ordinary flat, brown ones that wreak havoc with my gut, but she made passing reference to other, fancier, expensive varieties, presumably including lentilles du Puy, which I find more digestible.

It's this sort of thing that makes me stray willingly from the straight and narrow path of locavorism*. The French variety is so much more of a pleasure to eat that I am puzzled as to why Americans aren't growing them, too, although perhaps they are. Love what happens to them in a soup after a night and a day in the fridge.

*My chestnuts, leek, garlic, thyme and bacon were all from nearby farms.

No lentils tonight. What channel are you all watching that has old episodes of Julia?

Tomato paella and a mixed greens salad dressed with a walnut oil, sherry vinaigrette. The tomatoes and salad greens were from the garden, and if this mild weather keeps up, the tomatoes will keep coming. :( Bring on the mild weather!

My sister's wedding has been more of a family reunion type of event, and for the past three nights, we've cooked dinner for 13, 30, and 60 people, respectively.

Wednesday - spaghetti and my homemade marinara sauce, with garlic bread and salad (dressed with a simple balsamic vinaigrette)

Thursday - roasted chicken and gravy, roasted root veg (carrots, sweet potatoes, and butternut squash), and salad (with homemade buttermilk chive dressing)

Friday - burgers and dogs on the grill, with homemade cucumber salad and pasta salads

There have also been homemade blueberry muffins for breakfast and homemade carrot cake and brownies for dessert - yeesh!

We're all pretty tired from cooking, though - thank goodness tonight's main event is catered!

Semi-homemade, movie-watching dinner in an attempt to clean out the larder in advance of my move:*

Homemade pita chips dipped in jarred tomato sauce cooked down with sauteed Cibola Farms sweet Italian sausage

*Why do I bother with this? It's not like the movers aren't going to pack my food and take it the seven blocks to my new apartment. And it's not like my first priority is going to be restocking my pantry that first week as I unpack and buy furniture, so the more food I use, the less I have, making it likely that I'll end up living off delivery. But, somehow, I still feel compelled... (and it was yummy anyhow)

PS--Congrats, Betty Joan! It's amazing that you've put that all together, and--as someone who travels a lot for weddings--I know the effort that goes toward homecooking is very much appreciated!

J's been out of town with the car...

friday night:

Italian farro penne with fresh tomato and eco-friendly hot-It sausage sauce

sat night:

soup of fresh cranberry beans, bacon, leeks, ham and sweet potato in homemade chicken broth

chocolate sponge cake with ganache frosting (modified Amanda Hesser recipe)

We took advantage of the good weather to do some more grilling. I don't know how much we'll do during the winter months. The primary protein for the meal was the steak. The other meats were mostly designed to be leftovers for upcoming meals.

Grilled baguette slices rubbed with garlic and drizzled with evoo

Grilled porterhouse steak

Grilled pork tenderloin

Grilled lamb merguez sausages

Baked sweet potatoes

We had my in-laws over and enjoyed an antipasto platter of Fontina, Prosciutto, pear compote, olives, Marcona almonds, cranberry cheese, Cambazola, Dijon mustard, water crackers and crostini (ANKB).

Dinner was rigatoni with meatballs which included Stachowski Merguez, rabe and a Romaine salad with Romas.

Dessert-a selection of tarts and mini-treats from WF.

Welcome, Weezy!

Last night: Civet of mallard duck w leftover polenta. Salad of mixed greens w pomegranate seeds, chopped walnuts and feta.

Tonight: Strozzapreti w green beans cut the same size and pesto made from last week's basil. Contributing to the starchy, white food theme: chilled rice pudding heaped w what were probably the last red raspberries I'll buy outdoors this year.

requested: a big salad, something spicy, vegetarian

baby lettuce salad with roasted beet, ripe field tomato, and goat cheese, lemon vinaigrette

Turkish spiced roasted kabocha squash puree (a variant on the traditional carrot puree) with

dukkah (ground toasted almonds, coconut and spices) on top, spread on

socca (chickpea crepes--I made fresh chickpea flour with my Vitamix grain mill, using dried cps)

roasted asparagus

caponata (made a few days ago)

cucumbers in yogurt with zataar

hummus and pita chips

2009 Les Amis de la Bouissiere gigondas

requested: a big salad, something spicy, vegetarian

baby lettuce salad with roasted beet, ripe field tomato, and goat cheese, lemon vinaigrette

Turkish spiced roasted kabocha squash puree (a variant on the traditional carrot puree) with

dukkah (ground toasted almonds, coconut and spices) on top, spread on

socca (chickpea crepes--I made fresh chickpea flour with my Vitamix grain mill, using dried cps)

roasted asparagus

caponata (made a few days ago)

cucumbers in yogurt with zataar

hummus and pita chips

2009 Les Amis de la Bouissiere gigondas

Wow, another great meal from Zora. Zora, I'm curious where you purchase Kabocha Squash. I have a couple of recipes I'd like to make, but haven't yet seen Kabocha. Thanks.