Dinner - The Polyphonic Food Blog

JPW

Beans and greens

Sweet potato wedges

Blackberries

Someone I trust told me she doesn't bother cooking fresh shell beans separate before stewing them, so I tried. I ended up dumping a whole can of chicken broth into the sauté pan and braised them for a very long while to get them cooked all the way through. Half a large sweet onion first w olive oil, pancetta, Tuscan kale in ribbons, red chili flakes, couple cloves garlic.

Were yours the ones from the SS market? Because I haven't had issues in the past doing it so I did it again with these ones and I had to do the same thing, dump more liquid in and braise much longer. The beans were much larger than the ones I typically get at my market and I thought denser/tougher. I assumed maybe end of harvest?

I would have posted this last night, but I caught my oven on fire and then drank almost an entire bottle of wine with my dinner to recover:

Braised chicken quarters with a dijon green onion sauce

Polenta with fresh corn

Sauteed summer squash mix

King Family Viognier

Were yours the ones from the SS market? Because I haven't had issues in the past doing it so I did it again with these ones and I had to do the same thing, dump more liquid in and braise much longer. The beans were much larger than the ones I typically get at my market and I thought denser/tougher. I assumed maybe end of harvest?

Yes, they were the fresh shell beans that Spring Valley sells as bird's egg (cranberry beans, essentially), but, no, 'tis the season and the beans I bought the week before from same folk were fabulous: tender, flavorful, etc.

Instead, I'd go back to my customary cooking method (see in last week's posts, I am guessing) which is standard in, for example, fairly recent CA-bred cookbooks by Suzanne Goin, Judy Rodgers, etc.: simmer in aromatics till done, then do with them what you will. Basically, they're like dried beans only they're fresh, so they don't take so long to cook.

Tonight, said mixture of beans, Tuscan kale and pancetta cooked a little longer with olive oil; strozzapreti and the rest of the broth tossed in finally, until pasta soaked up all the liquid. Parmesan. Fresh cherry tomatoes by the handful after a glass of red wine.

Trying to balance carbs needed due to a week of strenuous aerobic exercise with Mr. lperry's determination to lose weight, salad of brown basmati rice, roasted sweet potatoes, roasted onions and silk beans, spiced with garam masala and a little curry powder. By the time I had it mixed up I was having 1970's Moosewood Cookbook flashbacks.

Bangers and Mash based around chicken-basil "bangers" my friend obtained from a vendor at the Freedom Plaza (?) farmers market (somewhere around that area).

I cheated. :(

I used Giant pre-made redskin garlic "mash". But I did make a nice Onion Gravy with two sweet onions, a cube (sorry, "tablet") of Maggi beef flavor, pinch of sage, salt, pepper, balsamic vinegar, sugar.

Hey, it was a school night, I had to cut corners! It was gloriously delicious!

Yesterday I made stock for the first time since way before spring when the long spell of 90-degree weather hit. So, I did what I often do thanks to the evocative writing of The Zuni Café Cookbook:

Warm, leached turkey-wing flesh, carrots, celery and onion with caramelized bits over boiled fingerling potatoes, raw, tender spinach leaves, a little bit of still liquid stock with freshly ground black pepper and fleur de sel.

Afterwards, another sign of seasonal transition: a big, fat, lackluster peach.

Broiled boneless chicken breasts in marinade of: EVOO, lime juice, soy sauce, chili powder, cumin, coriander, garlic, honey

Garnished with homemade salsa and "mock sour cream": yogurt with shallots, lime juice, tabasco

Brown rice cooked with chopped carrots, celery, tomatoes and spices: paprika and cayenne

Spinach sauteed with mushrooms and garlic

Mexican-Style Fall Butternut Squash Soup (Mexican oregano, Chipotle peppers, cilantro and a masa harina slurry to thicken the soup a bit and add corn flavor)

mexicanvegetablesoup-1.jpg

Pastitsio

pastisiogreeklasagna-1.jpg

Many local ingredients. For the soup-tomatoes, various squash, cilantro and onions. For the pastitsio-VA ground lamb and Stachowski lamb merguez. Oh, and the tomato sauce that I made from bulk Garners tomatoes.

Donald Link's cookbook, Roberts Cove German Fest white beans and smoked ham stew.

We had some tasso from Louisiana but the smoked ham we got from Safeway, Hillshire farms. Goya brand Navy beans. Rosemary from the garden put it over the top. Cornbread was Bobby Prudhomme's recipe from the Prudhomme Family Cookbook.

Last night:

Salad Caprese plated with mesclun, parsley and grilled garlic toasts

Cedar-planked salmon with grilled red pepper-caper sauce

BBQ-baked sweet potatoes

Rice pilaf

Tonight:

Salad of mesclun, buffalo mozzarella, tomatoes, avocado, and toasted walnuts

Roast chicken breasts with garbanzo beans, tomatoes, and paprika*

Roasted Yukon Golds

*The same recipe bettyjoan mentioned above. We haven't eaten it yet, but it smells good in the oven :(.

I was in Super H the other day, and the methi leaves looked wonderful, so I pulled out Julie Sahni's Classic Indian Vegetarian and Grain Cooking.

Stuffed eggplant and spiced fingerling potatoes with fenugreek leaves, AKA bhara paneer baigan and aloo methi. post-3913-097833800 1285027319_thumb.jpg

The eggplant would have looked nicer if I had used red instead of yellow tomatoes, but it was all really good. I need to use this book more frequently. We also had a 2009 Pacific Rim Gewurztraminer.

Edited to say, that green object ^ looks suspiciously like a genuine kaffir lime. If so, would you mind sharing where you found it?

Edited to say, that green object ^ looks suspiciously like a genuine kaffir lime. If so, would you mind sharing where you found it?

Yes, wonderful kaffir lime. Found them at Bangkok 54 a few weeks back, and they were fresh. I was super surprised to find them. I bought six and froze them. Haven't seen them there since, and they didn't have any last Sunday. I used to see frozen ones sometimes at Duangrat, but not for a while.

On a Thai cooking tangent, I had a hell of a time finding cilantro with the roots still attached, even at the Thai groceries. Finally, I found the Giant on Monroe Ave. in Del-Ray sells them with roots. :(