Dinner - The Polyphonic Food Blog

JPW

Last night I slapped together an easy meal of Hebrew National* hot dogs, store bought macaroni salad and canned baked beans. I redeemed myself (I think) with dessert of homemade blueberry cake with lemon simple syrup drizzled in (thanks for the moistening idea, Zora :) ).

As I write, Mr. MV is running out to pick up Chinese take-out :D for tonight's dinner.

This heat's got me in no mood to cook, however, I think I'll rally tomorrow after hitting up a farmers market.

*97% fat-free and delicious....so....I ate 2.

Tortilla chips with corn salsa

Pesto potato salad

Leftover Pork chops with caramelized onions and plum-cherry sauce

Baked sweet potato

I was wary of adding pesto to potato salad, because I thought it might look kind of gross. It didn't look bad at all and tasted wonderful. i added more salt and pepper, plus chopped celery and radishes. (I know, double potatoes seems weird, but I have things I need to use.)

Pesto potato salad

I was wary of adding pesto to potato salad, because I thought it might look kind of gross. It didn't look bad at all and tasted wonderful. i added more salt and pepper, plus chopped celery and radishes. (I know, double potatoes seems weird, but I have things I need to use.)

Pasta with green beans, potatoes, and pesto is traditionally Genovese, so potatoes + pesto seems like a built-in win. :)

I was totally going to post a pizza pic but now I'm intimidated.

Chorizo pizza redux: did a better job with my dough tonight. Still bought a ball of dough b/c I'm lazy as sin (two workouts today: I was tired and hungry) but drained the chorizo and escarole better, and par-baked the crust a bit, after stretching it better too.

Pizza: chorizo, shrimp, manchego, escarole. YUM.

Tomatoes, onions, basil, balsamic.

I was totally going to post a pizza pic but now I'm intimidated.

Chorizo pizza redux: did a better job with my dough tonight. Still bought a ball of dough b/c I'm lazy as sin (two workouts today: I was tired and hungry) but drained the chorizo and escarole better, and par-baked the crust a bit, after stretching it better too.

Pizza: chorizo, shrimp, manchego, escarole. YUM.

Tomatoes, onions, basil, balsamic.

Post! I almost didn't since I'm becoming a broken pizza record!

Post! I almost didn't since I'm becoming a broken pizza record!

No you aren't -- you're inspiring!

Sadly, iPhone did a pretty ugly job of this, AND managed to produce files that won't upload. Trust me when I say it tasted awesome!

Corn, grilled, and usually topped with crema and/or queso cotija and/or a mayo spread, often with lime and cayenne. Mexican street food. Bittman just did a variant on this in the Minimalist this week, in fact.

(monvano, did I get close?)

leleboo-you've got it. I happened to have America's Test Kitchen on PBS yesterday afternoon, and they were making pork carnitas and Mexican street corn. I've seen pictures of it before, but really didn't know what it was. Since I just bought fresh corn, I thought I'd give something different a try (I'm usually happy as a pig in you know what with just butter and salt, but Mr. MV, not so much).

I generally followed ATK's recipe (registration needed) which called for coating in oil, salt and cayenne, and grilling until charred.

Then, the corn is rolled in a mix of mayo, sour cream (I used Greek yogurt), lime juice, Parmesan more cayenne and chili powder. It was messy and *good*.

Mr. MV declared that he's never enjoyed corn so much, ever! That was big.

From scanning the 'net, it seems that there are many variations of Mexican street corn, with most calling for cojita cheese and crema, but ATK's version spoke to what I had in my kitchen. I'm looking forward to trying more authentic versions (maybe Zora has experience with this?), or, just keep making this recipe, which was delicious.

It made me look at corn on the cob in a whole different way.

leleboo-you've got it. I happened to have America's Test Kitchen on PBS yesterday afternoon, and they were making pork carnitas and Mexican street corn. I've seen pictures of it before, but really didn't know what it was. Since I just bought fresh corn, I thought I'd give something different a try (I'm usually happy as a pig in you know what with just butter and salt, but Mr. MV, not so much).

I generally followed ATK's recipe (registration needed) which called for coating in oil, salt and cayenne, and grilling until charred.

Then, the corn is rolled in a mix of mayo, sour cream (I used Greek yogurt), lime juice, Parmesan more cayenne and chili powder. It was messy and *good*.

Mr. MV declared that he's never enjoyed corn so much, ever! That was big.

From scanning the 'net, it seems that there are many variations of Mexican street corn, with most calling for cojita cheese and crema, but ATK's version spoke to what I had in my kitchen. I'm looking forward to trying more authentic versions (maybe Zora has experience with this?), or, just keep making this recipe, which was delicious.

It made me look at corn on the cob in a whole different way.

When I have seen this kind of corn for sale on the street in L.A. I have passed it by. First, the corn looks old and starchy. Second, it has been overcooked--I can tell because watching other people eat it, it appears mushy. And I'm not such a huge fan of commercial mayonnaise. I know that I could make it with good mayo and not overcook it and use young, sweet corn, but it sounds much too messy for "Mr. ZM"--who doesn't like to eat corn on the cob because the kernels get caught in his teeth and the butter lingers in his mustache. We generally do corn OFF the cob here.

When I have seen this kind of corn for sale on the street in L.A. I have passed it by. First, the corn looks old and starchy. Second, it has been overcooked--I can tell because watching other people eat it, it appears mushy. And I'm not such a huge fan of commercial mayonnaise. I know that I could make it with good mayo and not overcook it and use young, sweet corn, but it sounds much too messy for "Mr. ZM"--who doesn't like to eat corn on the cob because the kernels get caught in his teeth and the butter lingers in his mustache. We generally do corn OFF the cob here.

Now that you mention it, I think that ATK did mention that the corn is made with "old" corn, or something, but they were using fresh corn. And it is very messy!

Gazpacho

Broiled squash blossoms stuffed with oregano bouvre

Pork chops with melted fontinella and salsa verde

Vanilla robios sun tea

Everything but the fontinella and tea came from the farmers' market. Fontinella is my new favorite cheese at Cheesetique.

garlicky sauteed zucchini (Emma bought the zucchini at the market this morning with her allowance money, and cooked it herself. :) )

mixed cherry tomatoes with olive oil, mozzarella, fresh basil, and a sprinkle of Maldon salt

brown rice pilaf

cold sliced chicken

peaches

Some overpriced Provençal rose bought at the Old Town Balducci's during our lengthy adventures in Northern Virgina yesterday. I hate paying $14/bottle for breakfast wine.

garlicky sauteed zucchini (Emma bought the zucchini at the market this morning with her allowance money, and cooked it herself. :) )

Nice. :D

Cross-cultural ratatouille seasoned with smoked paprika

Sweet corn, feta, and cornmeal griddle cakes

Cole slaw

The garlic and tomatoes were from the garden, and everything else was from various farm stands across southern Virginia. It was the first time I used home-grown garlic, and I was really surprised that I could tell a difference. It is more delicate, I think. Greener.

This heat's got me in no mood to cook, however, I think I'll rally tomorrow after hitting up a farmers market.

Overheard one farmer yesterday at Dupont Circle: "Man, peaches and cantaloupe flying. Can't pay these guys to take eggplant or green beans home!"

applewood smoked, herb brined Eco-Friendly chicken with uncooked bbq sauce

grilled corn-on-the-cob

new potato salad

green beans with lemon

purple cherokee tomato with olive oil and balsamic

coconut popsicles

last night:

Eco-Friendly pork rib chops, brined and applewood smoked, then pan seared

cherry gastrique

creamed corn/stoneground grits

green beans with garlic, roasted red pepper and lemon

blueberry-apricot tart

2009 Bauer Gmork gruner veltliner

You lazy trencher!

Is it any wonder guys cheat on their wives?

Let me guess: The coconut popsicles were frozen on a different day, right?

Also, let me guess: Eco-Friendly did the brining and smoking, and you simply bought the meats at a farmer's market, right?

You lazy trencher!

Is it any wonder guys cheat on their wives?

Let me guess: The coconut popsicles were frozen on a different day, right?

Also, let me guess: Eco-Friendly did the brining and smoking, and you simply bought the meats at a farmer's market, right?

LOL

You were being ironic when you called me lazy, but it actually is the case. For the record, I used the same batch of brine for the chicken and the pork chops. And I smoked them together--the chicken stayed on a lot longer, obviously. I pan-seared the pork chops on the next night, before serving them with a cherry gastrique I'd made almost two weeks ago and stored in the fridge. The same charcoal-smoke chips did the first night's corn and also two eggplants, one of which was part of dinner last night. The coconut popsicles were from the Safeway.

last night:

purple cherokee tomatoes* with burrata

Marvy Market striata

leftover bbq chicken breast (shared)

smoked eggplant baba ghanouj

tzatziki

pita chips

chile olives

leftover blueberry-apricot tart

2009 Ch. Montaud rosé

purple cherokee tomatoes* with burrata

*I discovered yesterday that my 4 1/2 month old Aussie pup loves tomatoes. Heirlooms that cost $4.50 a pound. I was reading the paper in the morning, and it was suspiciously quiet, and Chloe wasn't lying under the table in her usual place. I went looking for her and found her out on the porch, lying on the sofa with the stem end remains of a large Cherokee Purple tomato between her front paws, which were soaked with tomato juice. I took what was left of that tomato away, scolded her and then moved the rest of the tomatoes away from the edge of the counter-height table where I keep them. (I had to wash the couch cover, which also was soaked with tomato juice.) Naturally, while I was distracted, she put her paws up on the table and took another Cherokee Purple (I had other tomatoes-non-heirlooms- there, as well). She just had to reach a little bit further to get it. No problem. I got it away from her before she had eaten much. And I saw her running off with a third CP and took it away before she'd done more than put a couple of tooth-holes in it. After that, I found a more secure place to put the tomatoes... and we ate the undevoured parts of the rescued tomatoes for dinner.

We should all be as lazy as Zora. :)

The theme for last night's dinner, and those upcoming, is "use up what's coming out of the garden."

Corniest corn muffins from Dorie Greenspan's book. These had great flavor and texture, although next time, I'll use less sugar.

Romaine salad with quantities of various types of cherry tomatoes, hard cooked eggs, and feta dressing.

Last night,

Crostini topped with chopped cherry tomatoes of various colors, fresh herbs, balsamic, and grey salt

Yellow crookneck squash sautéed with Vidalia onion and tossed with feta and fresh mint

Quinoa salad with sun dried tomatoes and chick peas, dressed with lemon, olive oil, and Parmagiano Reggiano

Mojitos

*I discovered yesterday that my 4 1/2 month old Aussie pup loves tomatoes.

Hee. Our first Akita would steal just-picked tomatoes from our garden. He had absolutely no use for grocery store tomatoes.

I got my J-cook on last night after a trip to the Silver Spring market and WF for seafood.

Grilled rockfish with dengaku miso (this batch is red miso with crushed black sesame)

Parboiled red chard in karashi-joyu (soy sauce/mustard/sake dressing)

Clear soup with diced orange heirloom tomato and halved yellow heirloom tomato fans

Asian cucumber quick pickles

Steamed rice

Miyao Brewing Company "Shimehari Tsuru -- Hana" sake

Crimini mushroom, Vidalia onion, and fresh goat cheese quiche

Mixed green salad

Tonight I did some experimenting with the pâte brisée recipe from Ann Amernick's Art of the Dessert. I used half white-whole-wheat flour (Trader Joe's), and changed the proportions of butter and shortening so that I can't taste the shortening now, but I still have a tender crust. I was really happy with the texture, it was both tender and flaky, and may even try going with more whole wheat flour next time. It was a nice flavor in a savory dish, and with the leftover scraps, I'll try some fruit tarts tomorrow to see how it works.

Microwaved (gasp!) Applewood Farms organic chicken strips

Habañero & guanábana jelly* mixed half-n-half with Delouis Fils old fashioned mustard

Fancy schmancy flute of Perrier Pamplemousse Rose

(stupidly delicious)

(and satisfying)

(four miles of hunger is the best appetite)

*limited edition

Last night, grillin' at the beach (our house in Isle of Palms has an AMAZING outdoor kitchen setup)...

Basic beef burgers with various cheeses, lettuce, and homegrown tomatoes

Turkey burgers (from Martha Stewart - ground turkey with shredded gruyere, dijon mustard, scallions, and S&P in the patties)

Nathan's hot dogs

Sliced veggies

Potato salad

Yum! After all of the adult beverages I enjoyed yesterday, that dinner was absolutely what the doctor ordered.

Desperation Station, a meal conceptualized, composed, and consumed in the 5 minutes I had to change between work and Ultimate Frisbee*

1 packet chunk white tuna

Finely diced dark yellow zucchini and Italian basil (both raw), from last week's farm share

Dressing made from mayo, touch of mustard, chopped capers, freshly ground pepper, and roasted black olive salt

Heirloom cherry tomatoes, from the Glover Park farmer's market

Potato chips; not even sure of the brand, but OK

*2 hours of cardio onslaught awesome. My new favorite love!

post-5654-046935200 1280795817_thumb.jpg

Desperation Station, a meal conceptualized, composed, and consumed in the 5 minutes I had to change between work and Ultimate Frisbee*

Next time you have more than 5 minutes, let me know, k, K?

Sticky-sweet soy-marinated broiled chicken

Sesame and lemon grilled asparagus

Brown rice and orzo pilaf

a Cali pinot that Nate brought

dinner with dear friends: yay Monday

How do you make your tofu?

I bought a wooden tofu press kit and followed the directions that came with it. The short version:

soaked dried soy beans (bought at Yes Gourmet) for about 10 hours

ground the soybeans and soaking water up in a blender to make a slurry

simmered the slurry for about 15 minutes

drained the slurry through cheese cloth, creating soy milk

returned the soy milk to the pot and added a nigari solution which separates the bean "curds" and "whey"

drained off the "whey"

put curds in the tofu press (also lined with cheese cloth)

placed a couple cans on the press lid and pressed the curds for 15 minutes. decided it was still too soft so pressed for another 15 minutes.

result: one block of firm tofu.

Tonight, an early dinner.

Tiny tartelettes with pesto, chèvre, and cherry tomatoes. Made with left over pie pastry.post-3913-049725200 1280876221_thumb.jpg

Yellow crookneck squash sautéed with Vidalia onion and tossed with feta and mint.

Mojitos.

From the garden: Tomatoes, squash, garlic, basil, and mint. What we are really waiting for now are the Italian pole beans.

Mr. MV picked up Old Bay-seasoned pick and peel shrimp from WF on his way home. We enjoyed the shrimp while I grilled up some steak for an entree salad with a tomato and feta dressing that I whipped up in my new Vitamix 5200! (my Costco rebate check was burning a whole in my pocket)

steaksalad-1.jpg

K Mango: So, you have five minutes in between work and play and you spend precious seconds plating your meal in girly symmetry and shoot it to boot? :)

And I second what stickmoon says!!

Bought sweet potato greens for the first time and was told one of the best ways to cook them is with coconut milk. Doesn't take an entire can, so I scrounged around and ended up with a recipe for:

Machchi Molee: fish cooked in coconut milk w turmeric, fresh curry leaves, onion, ginger...

And while the sauce cried out for rice, I felt like eating potatoes; skins on, after boiling, cooked w brown mustard seeds, coriander, fresh chilies, garlic, onion, etc. Out of pan. Greens in w more chilies and garlic. Coconut milk. Lid. When done, returned potatoes to pan to reheat.

Half a small watermelon for dessert (was to have been a quarter, but so good...)

K Mango: So, you have five minutes in between work and play and you spend precious seconds plating your meal in girly symmetry and shoot it to boot? :)

I know! Next time, into a blender, everything goes.

And wow your potatoes sound amazing.

Tonight:

Sauteed shrimp (grains of paradise, salt, olive oil)

Potato & mushroom melange (farm share yukon golds, sliced mushrooms, and two entire bulbs of today's garlic all pressure-cooked in chicken broth, finished with liberal amounts of today's basil, cherry tomatoes, and a remarkably interesting green bell pepper)

Classic cucumber salad (sour cream, dried dill, micro-minced farm share celery, salt, and something else hrm what was that seasoning...)

Dessert: Today's peaches sauteed with vanilla bean & lavender sugar, more minced basil

post-5654-060295500 1280974742_thumb.jpg

tacos al pastor: pork tenderloin marinated in homemade guajillo adobo, lime juice, onion, garlic and cilantro, charcoal grilled and eaten with grilled fresh pineapple in soft corn tortillas

black beans (TJ's Cuban-style canned)

guacamole and chips

pico de gallo

leftover cherry cobbler

Troeg's Sunshine Pils