Dinner - The Polyphonic Food Blog

JPW

Last night:

Brined, grilled pork tenderloin with Caribbean-flavored wet rub

Grilled peach salad: peaches in a marinade of jalapenos, basil, ginger, lime juice, salt, olive oil, served on a bed of arugula, watercress, basil, dressed with evoo and champagne vinegar

Texmati rice with roasted Hatch chiles, white onion, cilantro, parsley, garlic

Grilled garlic bread

Grilled lamb burgers

Grilled Portabello "burgers" topped with goat cheese and chopped tomatoes

Corn on the cob

The burgers were plated over arugula from Gardener's Gourmet and served with some chopped, freshly roasted (on the grill) Hatch chiles. I charred and bagged 4 1/2 pounds of chiles before starting on dinner. It's much more pleasant doing that outside than in a kitchen. Leftover corn and some of the chiles will be going into soup of some kind tomorrow.

We're finally onto the second loaf of garlic bread from a Costco two-pack and I think the remainder is going to become croutons very soon. It was great grilled, but I'm getting tired of it. There's not really room for it in the freezer.

I haven't had the opportunity to cook much lately, so tonight was a treat.

French style tomato tart with mustard, caramelized onion, herbed chêvre, and some of the last of the tomatoes from the garden.

Steamed Romano beans tossed with butter and coarse salt.

Roasted cauliflower.

All the produce came from the garden with the exception of the cauliflower. I picked it up at H Mart because I was unable to resist a pristine, snowy white, unblemished display. It was awfully good despite our late summer heat.

question:

Pot Roast, made on Friday. (in oven for 2.5 hours...)

Today is Tuesday. It has been in the fridge the whole time (a lot of food for one person - lotta leftovers).

OK to eat?

Sure. If it stays refrigerated, it'll probably be fine for 10-12 days. You have no idea how often you have eaten restaurant food that is a week old...

dinner last night:

cedar planked wild sockeye salmon, remoulade sauce

sauteed spinach with lemon and garlic

pan-crisped new potatoes

peach cobbler with B&J's vanilla ice cream

2009 Marques de Cacera rosé

Fishcakes (cod and shrimp defrosted) with remoulade that got a little kick from Thai red chili paste

Cole slaw

Leftover haricot vert and cous cous

Marble cheesecake from the Old Town Market*

this was delicious, but a tad small for $7 a slice and from CT, which probably doesn't qualify as local (but that's the OT market for 'ya)

Fresh shell beans w tomato, pancetta & rosemary

Ciabatta

Salad of romaine, cucumber and avocado w shallot vinaigrette

Open-face white & yellow peach pie

Vanilla ice cream

Corn chowder would have been a more suitable dinner, but I didn't have all necessary ingredients and the beans had already been cooked yesterday w aromatics in a thawed corn broth. Recipe adapted from Zuni Café Cookbook and highly recommended. Pie: Martha Stewart's, though the pastry's based on Rose Levy Berenbaum's persnickety recipe, but w 2 T of butter replaced by lard.

sliced tomatoes with mozzarella di bufala

polpetti made from Eco Friendly ground beef, with leftover fresh tomato sauce

leftover borlotti beans with guanciale

leftover ratatouille

garlic toasted baguette

B&J's vanilla with dulce de leche and crushed mini-pretzel sticks

2007 Cantina Zaccagnini montepulciano

Last night was a meal of small bites:

Salami, prosciutto, and cheeses (havarti with dill; manchego; gorgonzola dolce)

Celery, bell pepper, carrot sticks, radishes, grape tomatoes for dipping

Sliced baguette and Carr's water crackers

Green Goddess Dip

Feta and walnut dip

Roasted garlic hummus and tabbouli (Cava's prepared foods line, from Whole Foods)

Leftover spaghetti squash carbonara with brined pan roasted chicken from my Down Home Down Town cookbook. Suprisingly good leftover.

Fresh shell beans w tomato, pancetta & rosemary

Exactly what I've been craving. Hoping I can find some at a market this weekend.

Which Zuni recipe exactly? I got that cookbook months ago and have yet to make anything from it. :(

Paccheri Ripieni con le Melanzane*

Green beans w lemon

Concord-looking grapes

Sliver leftover pie

*Steps of preparation:

• Passata made from organic tomato seconds (Next-Step Produce, $1.50 lb.), shaved carrot & fresh garlic
  • Eggplant rounds slathered w oil and baked till soft
  • 1/4 of said eggplant diced, fried & drained
  • White sauce (using Clear Spring's whole milk)
  • Passata blended (no food mill), then somewhat reduced w cherry tomato halves
  • Baked eggplant puréed w white sauce & opal basil (10 leaves)
  • Mozzarella, fried eggplant and grated Parmesan folded into eggplant purée
  • Paccheri cooked half way, then drained and stuffed w eggplant purée
  • Tomato sauce poured over stuffed paccheri, then topped w Parmesan

....then everything baked.

Which Zuni recipe exactly? I got that cookbook months ago and have yet to make anything from it. :(

Page 265, fagioli all'uccelletto, though w pancetta diced, removed from pan, then onion added. Just the rosemary & parsley as herbs. Pancetta returned to pan w tomato and beans. (Leftovers really good on side with Eggs in Purgatory and crusty toast.)

Don't be put off by length of recipes. Ricotta gnocchi recipe the best. Roast chicken w bread salad (or without)--O make this just about every other month. And before the peaches go mealy, the peach crostada. Come spring, the asparagus soup w pancetta and rice!

Page 265, fagioli all'uccelletto, though w pancetta diced, removed from pan, then onion added. Just the rosemary & parsley as herbs. Pancetta returned to pan w tomato and beans. (Leftovers really good on side with Eggs in Purgatory and crusty toast.)

Don't be put off by length of recipes. Ricotta gnocchi recipe the best. Roast chicken w bread salad (or without)--O make this just about every other month. And before the peaches go mealy, the peach crostada. Come spring, the asparagus soup w pancetta and rice!

Thanks! The roasted chicken has been at the forefront of my list recently, just haven't gotten around to it yet. I am on a peach pie making kick so if I can get some good ones this week, maybe I will make the crostada next week.

Dan, finally something I don't want a recipe for! I don't typically like salmon, unless it's very mild and sockeye isn't fitting the bill in that regard. :) Although I must say home grown wild oyster mushrooms do appeal. :(

I'm a bit late posting, but:

Ferguson Family Farm grass fed flat iron (not gamey!)

Acorn squash & potato gratin with bacon and corn

Leftover Eric Ross Marsanne Roussanne (drunk with teh gratin only :lol: )

About to dig into a chocolate raspberry tart that a friend made with some port

Grilled radicchio salad with gorgonzola and balsamic vinaigrette

Grilled rack of lamb

Grill-baked sweet potatoes

Risotto with mushrooms and thyme

I'd never had rack of lamb done on the grill before. It came out really well. I marinated it for a few hours beforehand in extra virgin olive oil with a couple of splashes of champagne vinegar, lots of fresh chopped mint, and salt and pepper.

TJ's chipotle chicken skewers

Steamed broccoli

Jalapeno-goat cheese hush puppies (from this month's Bon Appetit magazine) - once I got the oil temperature right, the texture was good, but they seemed a little bland for my taste. Next time I will leave the seeds and chop the peppers a bit finer, which might help with more even spice distribution.

Jalapeno-cheddar bread (from Costco)

Buffalo mozzarella, tomatoes, and grilled chicken strips over butter lettuce; vinaigrette

Zucchini halves stuffed with risotto and ground turkey

The salad was really the main course. The chicken, lettuce, and vinaigrette were excess from the grilled chicken salad I made over the weekend. Everything was scattered over the lettuce. It looked quite appealing on the serving plate with the mix of all the colors and shapes.

Stachowski Italian sausage, onions, roasted peppers and eggplant* sandwiches on Marvy Market striata with reggiano parm and fresh basil

last of the banana cream pie

2006 Kirkland "Grandmere" Amador County Old Vine Zinfandel

*I roasted the sausages, peppers and eggplant over charcoal the night before, while grilling a steak. Last night, peeled and sliced/chopped the veg, and added them to sweated onions to slow cook, and re-heated the sausages in with the veg.

A quick salad including home grown tomatoes (I mention the tomatoes because we're so happy to have harvested about a dozen from on of our plants, which is a record). Banyul's vinaigrette.

Leftover penne with Stachowski sweet Italian sausage, grilled boneless chicken breast, onions, bell peppers and tomatoes. Topped with melted Provolone and fresh Mozzarella.

Banana blueberry muffin.

Beans and greens

Sweet potato wedges

Blackberries

Someone I trust told me she doesn't bother cooking fresh shell beans separate before stewing them, so I tried. I ended up dumping a whole can of chicken broth into the sauté pan and braised them for a very long while to get them cooked all the way through. Half a large sweet onion first w olive oil, pancetta, Tuscan kale in ribbons, red chili flakes, couple cloves garlic.