Dinner - The Polyphonic Food Blog

JPW

Salad (green leaf lettuce, cucumber, radish, croutons, chickpeas; vinaigrette)

Olive bread with dipping oil

Carrot, fennel, and ginger soup with shiitakes and green onions

Cheez-it crusted chicken cutlets

Baked potatoes

Kabocha soup w leek and ginger

Grilled cheese (Keswick Carrock) w slivers of Gold Rush apple on struan

Leftover roasted root vegetables added to pan of sautéed greens from last week's golden beets (fwiw, stems separated from leaves, boiled for 3-4 minutes, leaves added to pot, blanched, a couple of days ago)

Rest of the Gold Rush apple

Roasted asparagus and crimini mushrooms tossed with balsamic and parm, added to a little whole wheat penne. Trying to keep the veg:pasta ratio 3 or 4:1.

Sweet potato and feta drop biscuits. I don't know enough about cheese chemistry to understand what happens to feta when it chars on the bottom of a biscuit, but it is fantastic.

Cold Goose Island IPA

Cold Down-the-Hill Pete's Apizza*

*The day I moved in, Shangri-La was found to have a gas leak, so the whole building was shut down--stove, heat, fireplace. But that's okay because I'm still enamored of it like it's a cute boy, and as long as a lady has hot water, internet, beer, and awesome delivery pizza, what else does she need? I do really need to find my toaster oven though...

Socca (chickpea flour crepes)

Chickpea stew kinda thing (in dutch oven - saute onion, red pepper, garlic, carrots. add s&p, ground cumin, spanish paprika, cherry tomatoes. add hefty dose of white wine, can of chickpeas, heat down low, cover and simmer until nice and stewy, finish with a splash of cream)

Garnish crepes with a drizzle of yogurt whipped with ground cumin, s&p

macandcheese-1.jpg

So pretty. There's something about baked pasta that makes the cold weather seem better.

Sweet potato soup spiced with garam masala and a little curry powder, topped with pita chip "croutons" because the old bread was growing stuff.

Reheated sweet potato and feta biscuits.

Spinach spaghetti w ragù ("You put chicken livers in ragù?!" asks Stefano, but he's not from Emilia-Romagna.)

Glass of Côtes du Rhône

Mesclun salad w very last (?) of the local raspberries, toasted walnuts and shallot vinaigrette

Take a look at the first page of this five-year-old topic for a kick.

Take a look at the first page of this five-year-old topic for a kick.

I'm glad we've moved away from posting about eating cold Domino's pizza and take-out Chinese <yawn>. I mean everyone does it once in a while but why do the rest of us need to hear about it?

otoh...I finally got around to looking at the Thai cookbook that I picked up at the Fall picnic. Very complicated recipes, and I didn't have some needed ingredients like kaffir lime leaves and fresh turmeric, although I did find nam pla and palm sugar in my pantry and some tamarind in my spice drawer (no idea how long it's been there, but the package was sealed...) I made grilled chicken that required two separate marinades, one that was an ingredient for the other. This involved toasting and grinding white peppercorns and coriander seeds for one recipe and cumin and caraway seeds for the other, and lots of garlic cloves and ginger root. The chicken marinated for about two hours and then went on the charcoal grill. I also made a recipe in the book for peanut sauce, which did double duty as a sauce for stir-fried rice noodles and dressing for a gado-gado salad (Indonesian, not Thai, but J. is a reluctant salad eater who will eat just about anything if it has a spicy peanut sauce on it). We washed it down with 2009 Anton Bauer gruner veltliner.

The chicken was very tasty, but I think I might know why that cookbook ended up on the give-away table. Lotta work...

I'm glad we've moved away from posting about eating cold Domino's pizza and take-out Chinese <yawn>. I mean everyone does it once in a while but why do the rest of us need to hear about it?

Cold Pete's Apizza is definitely more high class. :)

The new apartment is still stove- and heat-free, so I defrosted some broccoli soup made last spring (microwave!) and ate it with some pita chips (found the toaster oven!). It hit the spot, but I'm itching to cook a real meal in my kitchen. This is the first time I've had a gas stove since I moved out of my parents' house, and it is just sitting across the room, in a coma, taunting me...

Surprise! Beef Stew osso buco style. I got into cleaning my kitchen and when all the surfaces were wiped and sparkling, I headed downstairs to get something out of the fridge. There sat a huge family pack of stewing beef cubes that I bought at Costco several days ago. Doh! Surprise! It was a couple days past the sell-by date, and I didn't want to freeze it, so I rolled up my sleeves and browned the cubes and made my braise. 20 minutes later, oil was splattered everywhere! Everything was made alright as I re-cleaned the kitchen to the heavenly smells wafting from the oven.

Served over cheddar polenta and accompanied by a tossed salad of local butter lettuce, arugula and tomatoes. Costco feta and a sun dried tomato Good Seasons vinaigrette.

beofstew-1.jpg

Surprise! Beef Stew osso buco style. I got into cleaning my kitchen and when all the surfaces were wiped and sparkling, I headed downstairs to get something out of the fridge. There sat a huge family pack of stewing beef cubes that I bought at Costco several days ago. Doh! Surprise! It was a couple days past the sell-by date, and I didn't want to freeze it, so I rolled up my sleeves and browned the cubes and made my braise. 20 minutes later, oil was splattered everywhere! Everything was made alright as I re-cleaned the kitchen to the heavenly smells wafting from the oven.

Served over cheddar polenta and accompanied by a tossed salad of local butter lettuce, arugula and tomatoes. Costco feta and a sun dried tomato Good Seasonings vinaigrette.

Gorgeous photo! I love the lighting. I"m glad you were able to rescue the stewing beef in time. I hate it when that happens :).

Gorgeous photo! I love the lighting. I"m glad you were able to rescue the stewing beef in time. I hate it when that happens :).

Thanks, Pat. The beef passed the sniff test, so I went ahead. Now we've got leftovers to nibble on and freeze for a rainy (or maybe snowy) day. I've been getting better at not wasting food, and thank goodness for our freezer.

I also wanted to mention that my copper All-Clad dutch oven did a kick-ass job on browning and maintaining a deep fond without burning. I had to brown in 4-5 batches and had to add very little oil in between. Once I browned my veggies, I deglazed with red wine and the fond released. I think it performed better then my enamel dutch oven.

Winter veggies minestrone (including Kale and butternut squash).....still amazed at the boost that parmesan rinds can give a soup

White cheddar corn muffins

Shaved fennel and apple salad with orange segments and orange vinaigrette

Dessert: the last of the leftover halloween candy bars :-) .....mmmm Baby Ruth

Winter veggies minestrone (including Kale and butternut squash).....still amazed at the boost that parmesan rinds can give a soup

White cheddar corn muffins

Shaved fennel and apple salad with orange segments and orange vinaigrette

Dessert: the last of the leftover halloween candy bars :-) .....mmmm Baby Ruth

Rinds are wonderful. I find that I pull back on the salt a bit as the rinds gradually leach their salt into the soup or stew. I have to get to Balducci's to pick up a bag.....

Salad (red butter lettuce, cucumber, radicchio, craisins, toasted pumpkin seeds, string cheese; vinaigrette)

Toasted everything bagels

Cream cheese

Leftover poached salmon

Sliced red onion

Prosciutto

Pimento stuffed green olives; roasted red peppers; Armenian string cheese

An inventive quiche, designed to use up what desperately needed culling in the garden. Mixed greens (Tuscan kale, arugula, turnips) sautéed with onion and garlic, chopped sun dried tomatoes for sweetness, chêvre to cut back the turnip bite, dijon, hot sauce, and a smidge of nutmeg in the custard. I considered having the leftovers for breakfast. :)

Salad of Rouge D'hiver romaine with Fuyu persimmon in a balsamic vinaigrette.

Have you tried Fuyu persimmon wedges with a lime juice&zest vinaigrette and chopped cilantro?

I got turned onto that flavor combo by a Russ Parsons recipe a few years ago. It's fantastic.

That sounds amazing. I've got a flat of 25 persimmons, limes in the fridge, and cilantro in the garden. We have plans for tonight, but I will make this tomorrow.

Bit of a diversion from the butternut squash soup, salad, and focaccia I had planned for tonight:

London broil and provolone on fresh-from-the-oven sage focaccia

Spinach salad with dried cranberries, Gorgonzola, and walnuts, dressed with Newman's Own Orange Ginger Vinaigrette (regular old olive oil and vinegar for Azami)

Wild Turkey rye Manhattan with orange bitters

Lentil soup w roasted chestnuts

Toasted Struan

Salad w Gardener Gourmet's beautiful, spicy Asian mix of tiny purple and green leaves

Apple baked using David Tanis's recommendations (Cognac vs. Calvados)--with toasted walnuts, fresh ginger and golden raisins. Dab of Greek-style yogurt

I went way out of my comfort zone last night. After a trip to H Mart for needed ingredients (garlic chives, dried shrimp, fresh rice noodles, Thai fish sauce) I made pad thai noodles using the essay at Chez Pim and the recipe by Kasma Loha-unchit.

I had previously prepared some tamarind puree from a block of paste, so that saved one step, but there was still quite a bit of prep work involved. The instructions on Kasma's recipe were much easier to follow while I was actually cooking. Chez Pim's essay was a good instructional primer, but the essay form made it hard to follow an unfamiliar step-by-step process in the heat of stir frying. Both called for essentially the same ingredients.

It was quite delicious and very authentic tasting. J was a bit apprehensive when he came into the kitchen while I was preparing the mise en place, because of the powerful aroma of nam plah in the sauce, with tamarind and palm sugar. Strange--it smelled bad but tasted really good.

The stovetop was a total mess to clean up afterward, and I'm not sure it was worth all of the work, but I was pleased that for a total beginner at Thai cooking, the flavor was as good or better than pad thai noodles I've had in restaurants over the years.

Chipotle sloppy joe's

Red cabbage carrot and jicama slaw

hand cut baked sweet potatoe fries (good...but I still like my deep fryer version better).

Question: Has anyone made Beef Wellington before? I saw a recipe in this past Saturday's Wall Street Journal that got me thinking about it. The recipe is an adaptation from Tyler Florence. Having never made it before, I'm wondering if anyone has a favorite recipe source recommendation?