Dinner - The Polyphonic Food Blog

JPW

NYE- Caesar salad and paella from from Costco. Mr. MV and I caught an afternoon performance of A Christmas Carol at Ford's Theater, so we availed ourselves of Costco's prepared foods earlier in the day while running errands.

Last night- Golabki (stuffed cabbage)*, gratin of garnet yams, russet potatoes and gruyere, baby cukes with a sour cream and dill dressing and seeded rye bread made earlier in the day.

*I've been tinkering with my golabki recipe for years, and am happy with this iteration. I used ground turkey and merguez in lieu of meatloaf mix, a sauteed mirepoix including green bell pepper and garlic, and white rice (and 2 eggs to bind) to stuff leaves of Savoy cabbage. For the sauce, I combined white wine, tomato paste, tomato sauce, bay leaf, cider vinegar and brown sugar.

New Year's Day dinner:

Spinach Quiche Lorraine

Marcus Samuelsson’s black-eyed peas

Rice pilaf

The black-eyed pea recipe is from Samuelsson's The Soul of a New Cuisine. It uses berbere, coconut milk, and hot pepper (calls for Scotch bonnet but I used habanero). Everything cooks down until most of the liquid is absorbed. I've made a few things from this book, but this is the recipe I keep coming back to. The peas went beautifully with the rice and quiche.

How was that? My kids spotted that after I made the mistake of taking them to a Spanish restaurant for Paella, but I've been hesitant to buy it, assuming it was going to completely suck.

Not bad at all considering it's basically cooked and reheated. Lots of chicken and sausage, a bit less of scallops and shrimp, but the ingredients were good. I was a bit surprised at the white pepper spice, but I like that.

The pan we got cost about $18 and it made 2 generous dinner and 2 generous lunch portions.

I'd definitely buy it again for those days when I don't feel like cooking or don't have the time. You know, it's good to throw in the oven and heat through while you enjoy some salad and a glass of wine...

eta: when I reheated it for lunch, I added some chicken stock to the bottom of the dish and that worked nicely.

I'm trying to cook more for various reasons.

Today I experimented with turkey stew.

I had turkey leftover from last Thanksgiving (yes, 2009). AND YES IT WAS FROZEN STILL MOM.

(Sorry, did get that question.)

I defrosted it. While doing that I opened a can each of cream of chicken and cream of mushroom soup. I've never used those before and didn't realize they were condensed, so I I reconstituted 8 ounces of each plus 16 ounces of water. Added that to the crockpot with the turkey, a bunch of garlic, half a sweet onion, some red and black pepper, and herbs. Let that cook up a bit.

I'd planned on adding corn (oops, forgot) and potatoes (no room) so I roasted the yukon gold fingerling potatoes with olive oil and sea salt. Cracked open the potatoes in a bowl, poured the stew (it was a bit thin) over top. Fairly good, but now I know what to do better.

And now I have stew for the rest of the week! The turkey is actually surprisingly still tasty, and with this and other experiments I'm remembering why I like cooking so much - I just have to do it! Sometimes it's hard to do by yourself.

Adapted from Sunday Suppers at Lucques (Menu 24):

One of my very favorite cookbooks from my large collection. I had a chance to chat with Suzanne Goin about the book last year--I told her how much I valued that the recipes were not dumbed down. She said that the publisher had tried to get her to make it "more like Rachel Ray", and she refused, acknowledging that the book wouldn't sell as many copies if she didn't. But she said that she believed that there was a potential audience of skilled home cooks who would appreciate it. And we do.

One of my very favorite cookbooks from my large collection. I had a chance to chat with Suzanne Goin about the book last year--I told her how much I valued that the recipes were not dumbed down. She said that the publisher had tried to get her to make it "more like Rachel Ray", and she refused, acknowledging that the book wouldn't sell as many copies if she didn't. But she said that she believed that there was a potential audience of skilled home cooks who would appreciate it. And we do.

Truly. Thanks for that anecdote. I'm so grateful to Suzanne for standing her ground. I love this book for so many reasons. It's extremely well-written and organized. The recipes are uniformly delicious. The photographs are gorgeous and mouth-watering. I really like how it is organized by the seasons and by menus. You can assemble an entire meal that's seasonally appropriate and that forms a cohesive whole from one course to the next, without having to think about it. It's the first place I go when I'm looking for 'special occasion' ideas.

Braised chicken thighs (used a meyer lemon braising base from Williams-Sonoma, which was delicious)

Israeli couscous

Steamed corn

I have a feeling I'll be using more of the TJ's/W-S pre-made sauces and the like - makes it so much easier to have a tasty, relatively healthy meal with limited time. So far, the meyer lemon braising sauce AND the pumpkin curry have been really yummy.

Roasted asparagus and crimini mushrooms in a red wine / balsamic reduction topped with shaved parm, served over quinoa. The quinoa was made in the rice cooker on the "quick" setting and came out ever so slightly al dente and fluffy. I made it this well maybe 25% of the time in a pot on the stove. I love this machine. Some day, I may even cook rice with it.

Sourdough bread from Firehook with butter and salt. Outstanding.

Boneless chicken breasts marinated in citrus vinaigrette, then broiled

Steamed spinach dressed with citrus vinaigrette

Quinoa and mahogany rice pilaf with dried cranberries, toasted pecans, scallions and parsley

foodtrip -- Was that inspired by the recipe in the Washington Post a few weeks ago for orange chicken breasts with baby spinach? I've been meaning to try that.

foodtrip -- Was that inspired by the recipe in the Washington Post a few weeks ago for orange chicken breasts with baby spinach? I've been meaning to try that.

As a matter of fact, it was. It was definitely worth making -- lightly refreshing after so many heavy meals over the holidays. I did not bother to serve it with the segmented orange slices and I don't think they were missed. An easy, healthy way to prepare chicken -- although, not quite as good as the roast chicken I had at Palena Cafe last night :)

Garlic bread and soy spread

Baby spinach salad with cucumber, grape tomatoes, and shredded carrots, topped with mini crab cakes and caramelized shallots; Ranch dressing (plus some blue cheese on mine)

Beef barley vegetable soup

Azami is out of town, so I'm taking advantage of his absence to cook stuff he'd never eat. :)

Last night: penne with a simple tomato sauce of onion, garlic, diced tomatoes, and Harris Teeter housemade hot Italian chicken sausage, grated Parmigiano-Reggiano; Syrah

Tonight: cannellini beans heated in olive oil with some red pepper flakes, then tossed with canned white albacore tuna and broccoli; Syrah

Sunday night:

Black bean soup with diced tomatoes, cilantro and yogurt

Salad of baby spinach, radicchio, shredded carrots, frizzled prosciutto, and Seville olives; ranch dressing

Baked brie topped with caramelized mushrooms; garlic toast

Pork chops with brandy-cherry sauce

Steamed broccoli

Monday night:

Leftover baked brie topped with caramelized mushrooms; garlic toast

Baked oysters with panko and artichokes

Leftover beef barley vegetable soup

Tonight:

Baby spinach with grape tomatoes and creamy poppyseed dressing

Baked pork chops with BBQ sauce

Roasted chicken

Baked sweet potatoes with butter

After 3 nights straight of dining out at meat-heavy venues, we needed some light, vegan food.

Sunday: Triple lentil soup

Monday: Butternut squash, chard and black bean stew

Tonight:

Steamed cod, served with vegetable broth

Brown basmati rice

Roasted beets, parsnips and carrots

Last night I used leftover Naan dough to make flatbreads. The first was caramelized onions topped with Gruyere and speck, while the second was cream topped with fontina, Virginia country ham, and mushrooms. Both were delicious, but I really loved the aroma of the slightly cooked cream on the second one.

Last night -

Slow-cooker Asian pork BBQ

Israeli couscous (no rice in the pantry)

Cooked carrots

We have been snowed in since Sunday night, so that was just about the last of the provisions (we'd reeeeeally been improvising, since we couldn't get to an open store). Good thing we made it out of town today - currently on a plane headed to San Francisco!

Wednesday night:

Romaine and radicchio salad with cucumber, bacon, grape tomatoes, and radishes; vinaigrette

Garlic toasts and soy spread

Baked Ziti with ground beef, ricotta, and cottage cheese

Last night

Garlic toasts and soy spread

Leftover pork chops and broccoli

Yellow eye beans slow-cooked with shallots, carrot, and celery

Wilted baby spinach

Mixed green salad with sun dried tomato and feta dressing (started with a packet of Good Seasons dressing mix, tinkered with and whirred into an incredible emulsion in the Vitamix), campari tomatoes and more feta.

Italian Matzo ball soup :) Homemade stock, shredded chicken, carrots and a Tbsp. of tomato paste are simmered until the carrots soften up a bit. At a simmer, dumplings are dropped in and are made of Farina, grated Pecorino and eggs. I'm thrilled that I *believe* I've solved the problem with my dumplings falling apart in the soup- Bob's Redmill Farina. Now, my dumplings are tender and fluffy, but don't fall apart and turn my soup into gruel.

Buttered chickpea bread ('ya gotta dip!).

Italian Matzo ball soup :) Homemade stock, shredded chicken, carrots and a Tbsp. of tomato paste are simmered until the carrots soften up a bit. At a simmer, dumplings are dropped in and are made of Farina, grated Pecorino and eggs. I'm thrilled that I *believe* I've solved the problem with my dumplings falling apart in the soup- Bob's Redmill Farina. Now, my dumplings are tender and fluffy, but don't fall apart and turn my soup into gruel.

FWIW, my mother taught me to cook matzo balls in a separate pot of salted water until they are about 80% cooked, and then transfer them into the chicken soup pot--that way they don't absorb all of the soup while they are cooking.

FWIW, my mother taught me to cook matzo balls in a separate pot of salted water until they are about 80% cooked, and then transfer them into the chicken soup pot--that way they don't absorb all of the soup while they are cooking.

OK, we can agree on this one. :)

I'll give this a try- I'm aiming to make the dumplings foolproof. Taking Zora's suggestion on how to use up shredded chicken out of the stock pot, I made chicken enchiladas tonight. i think I'll turn the leftovers into some kind of egg dish this weekend.

Smoked salmon; boursin cheese with shallots, chives, and dill; shaved red onions; and, country bread from Marvelous Market

Baby spinach, grape tomato, cucumber, and shredded carrot salad; ranch dressing

Open lasagna of mushrooms, pine nuts, and thyme

Pizzoccheri, except I used Japanese soba noodles. Baked noodles, savoy cabbage, potatoes, leeks, sage, s bit of garlic, a mixture of parmesan, asiago, and chêvre cheeses, and browned butter. Adapted from the Greens cookbook. Really, really good. I need to go back to this cookbook more often.

We had a friend over for dinner last night.

Potato, onion and Gruyere cheese soup paired with Von Buhl Riesling Kabinett Armand 2008.

Pan seared center-cut bone-in pork chops with a butter, shallot, dried strawberries and cherries Burgundy wine sauce. Over top a bed of shallot, garlic and olive oil sautéed baby arugula and mushrooms. Followed this cooking technique that helped make a very flavorful sauce and a wonderful pork chop!

Honey braised baby carrots.

’04 and ’06 de Montille - Volnay “Taillepieds”. The ’06 is the better wine but the ’04 showed better.

Vanilla ice cream with Byass NOE Pedro Ximenez Sherry [the label said to try it over vanilla ice cram].