Dinner - The Polyphonic Food Blog

JPW

Question: Has anyone made Beef Wellington before? I saw a recipe in this past Saturday's Wall Street Journal that got me thinking about it. The recipe is an adaptation from Tyler Florence. Having never made it before, I'm wondering if anyone has a favorite recipe source recommendation?

I made it once, years ago, after being importuned innumerable times to make it. It was the hoity-toitiest dish J. knew of, back in the 70's. (Me: "What would you like for supper tonight, honey? He: "Beef Wellington." Me: "Hahaha. What's your second choice?" He: "Chicken Kiev." Me: "<sigh>".) I finally broke down and actually made B.W. for a holiday dinner, when we were visiting his parents here in DC. My memory is a bit dim, but I didn't make puff pastry from scratch, although I knew how to do it. But frozen puff pastry dough wasn't for sale then. I think I found a bakery that was willing to sell me a small amount. I do remember it being quite a bit of work, and that it came out quite nicely. But eating it did not turn out to be the transcendant experience he had imagined. And, mercifully, he stopped requesting it.

Beef Wellington was on the trite, outdated dish list for years. I wonder what is bringing it back now?

Beef Wellington was on the trite, outdated dish list for years. I wonder what is bringing it back now?

Hell's Kitchen with Gordon Ramsay. It's one of the primary dishes that the contestants screw up week after week after week.

I'm glad we've moved away from posting about eating cold Domino's pizza and take-out Chinese <yawn>. I mean everyone does it once in a while but why do the rest of us need to hear about it?

Context is everything. The source of this topic featured many elaborate home-cooked meals, proudly illustrated. I suspect there's a bit of rebellion on that first page.

Mad Men? This was just a guess. Then I googled and sure enough it's sort of like meatball lasagna for The Sopranos.

P.S. You don't want to know what I had for dinner tonight.

Context is everything. The source of this topic featured many elaborate home-cooked meals, proudly illustrated. I suspect there's a bit of rebellion on that first page.

Mad Men? This was just a guess. Then I googled and sure enough it's sort of like meatball lasagna for The Sopranos.

P.S. You don't want to know what I had for dinner tonight.

Mad Men makes sense......I'll opt for the sophisticated food and not the "sophisticated" chain smoking. :-)

Leaves tonight:

Red cabbage soup w cannellini and bacon

Poğaça

Arugula salad w golden beets and toasted walnuts

Gold Rush apple

The soup's adapted from Marcella Hazan's recipe for zuppa di cavalo nero; even though Tuscan kale's now easy to get, I made the dish first w her recommended red cabbage and still like it this way.

The warm Turkish/Hungarian feta & parsley-filled buns were fabulous--perfect as accompaniment to soup and given the wonderfulness of the Greek-style yogurt, egg & buttery dough, I can imagine making these again with so many different fillings, including mushrooms. So, here's another plug for a book I want to bake my way through: Warm Bread and Honey Cake.

Tuesday night -

Mixed vegetable and farro soup (in this past month's F&W, from Batali/Eataly)

Homemade baguette

I actually made the soup on Monday and let it sit overnight, as I always enjoy soups/stews better the next day. Despite that, it turned out a bit bland (and the online reviews echo that), so I did what I could to spruce it up (red pepper flakes for the whole batch, and Tabasco/extra salt at the table). Next time, I'll add some more of a tomato element, as it only had a bit of tomato paste. The consistency was really good - nice and thick and hearty - and the components were cooked nicely.

Last night -

Pork and broccoli lo mein (from ATK)

Couldn't find lo mein noodles (weird), so I used fettucini instead and it turned out fine. The pork was so tender!

Ready for a lazy Friday night.

Ham steak heated up in skillet, griddled onions with escarole, topped with a mustard & wine pan sauce;

Rye bread from Bread House. Leftover turnip gratin.

I think i've got some sort of German-style beer in the fridge.

Crab cakes with homemade lemon-mustard tartar sauce

Sautéed zucchini and graffiti eggplant with garlic and cumin

A little light after a week of eating around Sonoma and Napa counties. Happy fifth anniversary, Darthjim.

The ruins were wild, the ruins were wild / Tonight will be an open mic...

Crab cakes with homemade lemon-mustard tartar sauce

Sautéed zucchini and graffiti eggplant with garlic and cumin

A little light after a week of eating around Sonoma and Napa counties. Happy fifth anniversary, Darthjim.

The ruins were wild, the ruins were wild / Tonight will be an open mic...

Sauteed and then baked salmon with a horseradish, apple jelly,and chives sauce

Couscous with leeks, grape tomatoes, scallions, and carrots

Light, healthy and delicious. EAT MORE BLUEBERRIES everybody!

Dinner for visiting vegetarian bro-in-law and a friend of ours who no longer eats meat (she eats fish and seafood, but bil does not):

snacks with bourbon/Antica Formula manhattans (except for bil who doesn't partake of etoh–he had apple cider):

piquillo peppers stuffed with bulgarian feta

fresh garbanzos in the shell

almonds, olives, hummus and pita chips

Marvy Market striata with Vermont Creamery Cultured butter*, Nancy's sheepmilk camembert, St. Augur blue cheese

frisee and fuyu persimmon salad with lime vinaigrette, scallions and cilantro

butternut squash strata, made with challah, sauteed shallots and chopped fresh herbs, topped with cave aged Vermont cheddar and parmesan

roasted autumn vegetables: brussels sprouts, yellow cauliflower, red bell peppers, fennel, golden turnips, chanterelles, red onions, olive oil, thyme and rosemary

rustic tart filled with quince, bartlett pears and dulce de leche

Moorenko's vanilla ice cream

2007 Mara Russian River Valley pinot noir

*this cultured butter is amazingly delicious, with bits of crunchy sea salt in it--8 oz. foil-wrapped rolls of it are on sale at Rodman's @2 for $6.

Dinner of Mr. lperry's favorites to counteract a bad week.

Mushroom ragout: shiitakes, button mushrooms, a medley of dried mushrooms for stock and flavor, mirepoix, potato, thyme, red wine, cream, balsamic, and a few dashes of hot sauce. Topped with some cute Japanese decorative mushrooms and served over quinoa. I had originally planned a pot pie, and may do that next time.

Savoy cabbage quickly braised with Braeburn apple and seasoned with apple vinegar.

Crusty bread with chêvre.

El Coto Rioja 2006.

Edited to add that the Rioja is a crianza, and I'm tempted to head back to Costco, grab a case, and tuck it in the cellar for a couple of years. There's something to be said for an inexpensive wine that drinks very well with a nice meal.

Last night

Toasted baguette

Lamb loin chops

Brown rice

Green beans

Thursday

Salad (red butter lettuce, radicchio, Campari grape tomatoes; ranch dressing)

Garlic toast

Bacon-wrapped filet mignon

Garlic and herb linguine alfredo with broccoli

Osso Buco Milanesa, recipe from the original Michael Field's Cooking School cookbook (1965). This is a crapload of work - about 4 hours from entering the kitchen to putting food on the table, but it's the only way to do this dish right.

White asparagus

Egg noodles w/butter and grated parmesan

Baguette

Bluefish Genovese--w parsley, olive oil and garlic--baked on top of slivered red potato

Glazed carrots

Chopped arugula sautéed w onion, chili flakes and pimenton. on Friday

Entire bunch of kale sautéed w garlic and chili flakes mixed w pasta shells, Bittman style, grated cheese and colored bell peppers braised w garlic yesterday

Tonight: salmon cake, roasted sweet potatoes w huge salad of small, mixed leaves, cilantro, lime and very ripe persimmons as inspired by Zora and Russ

Flatbreads/pizza tonight. Repurposed mushroom ragout, feta cheese, and arugula tossed on top for the last minute or so on a homemade crust. I used half bread flour and half white whole wheat flour with good results.

Fuyu persimmons.

El Coto Rioja Crianza 2006. It's good with rich food - a bit of acidity cuts the thickness of fats.

Introduction to green chile/congratulations on your engagement dinner last night:

Tortilla chips and hot salsa from Red Rock Beef Jerky in Gallup, NM

Manhattans

Pan-seared New York strip steak, topped with strips of roasted green chile

Baked potatoes

Roasted green beans

Dinner rolls from Woodmoor Pastry Shop

Romaine/endive salad with walnuts, cranberries, and crumbled Gorgonzola, orange-ginger vinaigrette

Black pepper poached pears with vanilla ice cream and chocolate sauce

Saturday

Salad (baby spinach, radicchio, grape tomatoes, cucumber, roasted red pepper, dried cranberries, sunflower seeds, homemade croutons, ranch dressing)

Cottage pie

Last night:

Leftover salad from Saturday

Bacon-wrapped filet mignon*

Baked sweet potatoes

Green beans with toasted almonds

*For some reason, I cooked up all of the filet from the Costco pack the day I got it , along with the bacon I had in the refrigerator :) . I've been finishing individual pieces off in the oven since then. It's worked out fine, but there's been a lot of red meat in the diet lately.

Pork tenderloin brined, then rubbed with cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, pepper, salt, seared, then roasted, drizzled with maple syrup

Roasted vegetables (carrots, butternut squash, cauliflower), drizzled with maple syrup

Sauteed red chard with garlic

Garbage can pasta with leftover ingredients from weekend cocktail party: sauteed garlic, onion, roasted red peppers, artichoke hearts, mushrooms, carrots, and a link of Italian sausage*; deglazed with the dregs of a bottle of red wine; simmered with the last of a jar of tomato sauce that got me through the no-stove period; served over pasta and some shredded mozz; sprinkled with parm.

Pretty darn tasty! And goodness knows I need some veggie vitamins after the party...

*Cibola Farms has a bit of clove, which is not my favorite spice, but really works in this sausage.

Before:

post-3913-006929200 1290613214_thumb.jpg

After:

post-3913-061943900 1290613202_thumb.jpg

Twas the fine young man at the top right on the flatbread. I let them ripen on the vine this year until the tendrils were dried up, and, wow, what a difference in flavor. Wonderful. Roasted butternut squash and onion, feta, and chopped arugula (also from the garden) wilted in the last few minutes of oven time.

Last night:

Salad (spinach, oranges, cucumber, and jalapeno roasted pecans; vinaigrette)

Turkey meatballs over brown rice and sauteed spinach, with pan roasted grape tomatoes and toasted pine nuts (onions, garlic, soy sauce and ginger)

Still trying to go light with the main to counteract the holiday food. Roasted asparagus (Trader Joe's - surprisingly fresh and good) and crimini mushrooms with parm and balsamic over quinoa. A selection of leftover pies. Sunset Hills Reserve Cab Franc 2007. Another long run this morning.

Polenta squares topped with sauteed ground turkey and mushrooms

I stirred some leftover lemon mascarpone cheese into the polenta as it rested, and that worked really well. Even the lemon wasn't out of place, though I think I'd try that again some time when I wasn't planning the turkey accompaniment.

This is for you, Zora: A slice of pepperoni pizza, two honey tangerines, and hours later, half a glass of 2% milk and a slice of pumpkin pie. :)

The pie was/is actually butternut squash and it is a fine substitute. However, I tried a new spice formula from Simply Recipes and with a newly opened jar of cinnamon, two teaspoons of the powder drowns out the other flavors in a 9-inch pie. One of the best crusts I ever made, though, in part because disk of dough sat in the fridge for two days, included lard (2 T to 6 T butter), apple cider vinegar and baking soda (cf. Rose Levy Beranbaum) and after blind-baking, I tried brushing cooling pastry w egg white for first time.

P.S. I had lots of green vegetables at lunch.