Dinner - The Polyphonic Food Blog

JPW

Grilled lamb merguez sausages from Meatcrafters (between the rain drops)

Roasted cauliflower and onions: marinated in toasted and crushed coriander and cumin seeds, olive oil, red wine vinegar, curry powder, Hungarian hot paprika, served with chopped cilantro

Steamed asparagus

"Sesame-seared" chicken breasts*

Basmati rice cooked in chicken broth

Seasoned and sauteed pac choi

*Jehovah-Jireh chicken breasts briefly "brined" in a mixture of soy sauce, horseradish/hemp/honey mustard, freshly ground black pepper, and the juice from a jar of golden peppadews. Coated seasoned chicken with sesame seeds, then hit the Calphalon grill pan until 3/4 done. Finished in 350 degree oven. Plated over CSA (Bull Run farm share) lettuces.

post-5654-127677332349_thumb.jpg

"Sesame-seared" chicken breasts*

Basmati rice cooked in chicken broth

Seasoned and sauteed pac choi

*Jehovah-Jireh chicken breasts briefly "brined" in a mixture of soy sauce, horseradish/hemp/honey mustard, freshly ground black pepper, and the juice from a jar of golden peppadews. Coated seasoned chicken with sesame seeds, then hit the Calphalon grill pan until 3/4 done. Finished in 350 degree oven. Plated over CSA (Bull Run farm share) lettuces.

Beautiful pic! Did you use any binder to hold all those sesame seeds on (flour, egg..)?

Stuffed Belgian endive*

Leftover black beluga lentil soup

Baked chicken thighs

*Some stuffed with guacamole; others with a mixture of cream cheese, buttermilk, bacon, chives, fontina cheese, and toasted pecan bits.

Dinner on the roof deck with friends...

Rose Cava, Red Wine, Cranberry juice

Mini Caprese Bites

Truck Patch roasted pork shoulder with a Memphis Dust dry rub

Savoy cabbage slaw tossed with sliced apples, walnuts, blue cheese and a buttermilk dressing

Edna Lewis’ Southern-Style Macaroni and Cheese*

Brownies topped with HD cherry vanilla ice cream

*H/T to goldenticket

Mushrooms stuffed with smashed fava beans, garlic, cream, bacon, and Parmesan

Baked chicken thighs

Oh, those mushrooms were good. Run under the broiler briefly before serving. The favas were somewhat whole, somewhat chunky.

Dinner picnic* on a blanket at Wolf Trap awaiting the Sheryl Crow concert (which was amazing)

Capellini pasta salad with basil, tomato, lemon zest and a zingy lemon vinaigrette.

4710299241_e57f69b4e9.jpg

Sandwiches- thinly sliced EcoF flat iron, feta and sun dried tomato spread, red onions, red wine vinegar and evoo on almost no knead bread.

4710292123_f779c7a957.jpg

Bing cherries for app and strawberry banana muffins for dessert.

*pics taken at home before we packed up the picnic.

Dinner picnic* on a blanket at Wolf Trap awaiting the Sheryl Crow concert (which was amazing

Sandwiches- thinly sliced EcoF flat iron, feta and sun dried tomato spread, red onions, red wine vinegar and evoo on almost no knead bread.

Ohhhhh my goodness .... monavano, I honestly don't know if I'm more jealous of those sandwiches or the concert!!

If she sang her cover of "MIssissippi," I vote concert, but otherwise: sandwiches! :) They look incredible.

Ohhhhh my goodness .... monavano, I honestly don't know if I'm more jealous of those sandwiches or the concert!!

If she sang her cover of "MIssissippi," I vote concert, but otherwise: sandwiches! :) They look incredible.

Thanks leleboo, we've got leftover beef that's going into a Thai salad, and leftover feta/sd tomato spread that I think I'll melt into scrambled eggs this weekend.

Grilled pork tenderloin marinated in olive oil, lime juice, dijon mustard, fresh ginger, soy sauce, garlic

Served with an onion marmalade (red onions, olive oil, jalapenos, honey, red wine vinegar)

Black beans with celery, scallions and cilantro, dressed with cilantro-lime vinaigrette

Sauteed rainbow chard with garlic and shallots

Sandia Sunsets: Cuervo Silver tequila, Chambord, lemon juice

Grilled NY strips

Grilled sweet corn

Broccoli

Strawberries macerated with sugar and a (perhaps insufficient) grind of black pepper over ice cream

I've noticed that since our return from Japan, my menus and cooking style have become much, much simpler. Azami has always been a fan of simple cooking. Hmm.

Leftover EcoF flat iron steak and the last of my herbs (basil, Thai basil, mint) from Red Rake Farm went into this Thai Beef Noodle Salad. I started with this recipe, and tripled the peanut butter, added lite coconut milk, lime, orange zest, sriracha, red wine vinegar and honey. Topped with roasted, unsalted peanuts and orange zest.

4714372861_9f7edff13f_b.jpg

Leftover EcoF flat iron steak and the last of my herbs (basil, Thai basil, mint) from Red Rake Farm went into this Thai Beef Noodle Salad. I started with this recipe, and tripled the peanut butter, added lite coconut milk, lime, orange zest, sriracha, red wine vinegar and honey. Topped with roasted, unsalted peanuts and orange zest.

Inspired by monavano and the desire not to have a long braise* in the midst of this heat, I went for an Asian spice on my short ribs tonight.

Beef short ribs, on the bone, marinated in oyster sauce, mirin, soy, garlic, ginger, scallions, and brown sugar; 2.5 hrs in the oven at 250 degrees*, then stuck on the grill pan to crisp, sauced with the reduced marinade

Thai stir-fried slaw: cabbage, shredded broccoli and carrots, strips of red bell pepper, ginger, basil, plum sauce, fish sauce, and Thai basil.

Coconut jasmine rice.

I don't play with these flavors that often, but this was fantastic.

*Yes, I essentially ended up braising them after all, but it wasn't the kind of heavy braise that called for mashed potatoes and loads of wine**. It was slightly more appropriate to the weather and the cravings at hand.

**(OK, there may have been some wine.)

Last night:

Toasted ham and cheese sandwiches (striata baguette)

Mini blueberry muffins

Sunday night:

Radicchio and Napa cabbage slaw

Toasted ham, bacon and cheese sandwiches (striata baguette)

Leftover cold asparagus salad with shiitake sesame vinaigrette

I put my serving of slaw on my sandwich. I don't know why I decided to do that, but it was good.

Heritage Farm carrot salad with basil* vinaigrette, Heritage Farm roasted beets with rosemary* and truffle oil, Pacific cod in lemon basil* beurre blanc

35727_738801244274_5317785_41718910_4983842_n.jpg

*Basil and rosemary courtesy Dan Cole Farms :)

Dan is going through his cubist period :D

Last night- Organic chicken that I cut into 6 pieces* and marinated in yogurt and a Tandoori spice mix for a day. Grilled it up and served with corn from the Del Ray market and oven-roasted cauliflower.

*this was my first attempt at breaking down a chicken and let me just say, what a HACK job :) It is not as easy as it looks! And, my dull knives didn't help either-made the task very difficult and dangerous, really.

*this was my first attempt at breaking down a chicken and let me just say, what a HACK job :) It is not as easy as it looks! And, my dull knives didn't help either-made the task very difficult and dangerous, really.

Ad Hoc has a great section on breaking down a chicken. Having a sharp knife is CRITICAL. Slicing a chicken up should really be effortless.

Alternatively, a cleaver, machete, sugar cane knife, etc., make sharpness and finesse a moot point (and are much more fun).

Ad Hoc has a great section on breaking down a chicken. Having a sharp knife is CRITICAL. Slicing a chicken up should really be effortless.

Alternatively, a cleaver, machete, sugar cane knife, etc., make sharpness and finesse a moot point (and are much more fun).

I thought about going to my cleaver, but the thought of losing a digit ruled that out. I'll consult my Ad Hoc-I've perused those pages before, but didn't recall what a great reference I had on hand yesterday.

Effortless? I broke a sweat!

SUNDAY

3 crabs harvested June 17 on the James River by Jimmy. Steamed by Busters' Seafood.

Thick slabs of Italian bread toasted and spread w Brian McBride's pea-fava bean purée

(Buck each. I picked the other 2 I brought home to make pretty great crab cakes.)

MONDAY

Zuppa di piselli e vongole

Deviled egg

Vanilla roasted apricots and fresh raspberries over Greek-style yogurt

Soup based on a nutty recipe from Marcella Hazan which calls for stripping off and discarding a thin membrane inside the pods of English peas, then including them in the soup. Couldn't find said membrane and wouldn't do it anyway. Instead: opened clams* in a very shallow bit of water, careful to pull them out just as they opened a crack so the juices wouldn't spill into the water all that much. Boiled the organic pods in the leftover water with greens from 2 spring onions and some parsley stems for 15-20 minutes. Strained.

Spring onion or two softened then caramelized with fresh garlic in olive oil. 1 small tomato and parsley (chopped) for another 10 minutes. In same pan, tossed in shelled peas which simmered in clam juice and enough of the strained broth to fill a soup bowl. When ready, threw in the chopped clams and served with just-baked croutons.

*Purchased on Sunday, wrapped in wet newspaper and kept in plastic container filled w ice and ice water and one of those "Rapid Ice" type packs. Scrubbed in sink filled with ice water, then plunged into bowl of clean ice water. Lost only one clam this way.

"Caprese" toasts- using ANK bread, sliced and toasted, topped with evoo, buffalo mozzarella*, campari tomatoes and basil from the garden. Set under the broiler for melty goodness.

Broiled crab cakes** with a spritz of lemon and a remoulade sauce. For the crabcakes, I used Faidley's recipe as a guide. The consistency with the crushed saltines and wet ingredients was perfect. It just held together, and the crab was center stage. Oh, I did add s&p to the mix, and no Worcestershire.

Chilled pinot grigio.

*buffalo mozzarella from Costco-delicious, fresh and a terrific deal.

**lump crab from Northern Lights Seafood, Del Ray market. The crab was from Little River Seafood. $18 for the pound, and made 6 generous crab cakes (which means leftovers for lunch today :) ). There were a few very tiny pieces of shell in the meat, but overall it was pretty clean and I was able to keep it chunky through picking it over, mixing and forming the cakes.

Eco Friendly ribeye steak grilled on the bar-b. Excellent! Mr. MV is getting steaks to a perfect med-rare lately.

Market zucchini and squash, onions and tomatoes sauteed in evoo with red wine vinegar and balsamic

Sherried mushrooms

Polenta with Parmesan and a knob of butter

Creamed spinach in a low-fat bechamel with Parmesan and nutmeg

Chocolate covered salt water taffies :)

Cold seashell pasta salad with spinach, arugula, prosciutto, peas, and a homemade buttermilk-chive dressing. Delicious! From the most recent Cooking Light magazine - they have a feature on entree salads, and they all look really good.

Wheat dinner rolls

Itsy Bitsy Teeny Weeny Tiny Gyro Pocketinis (mini-pita breads stuffed with mini-seasoned lamb patties)

Tzatziki Sauce (both lamb and sauce courtesy of Cook's Illustrated recipes)

Variety of Olives

Feta Cheese

Dilled Cucumber Slices

Salt & Pepper Tomato Strips

Oregano & Garlic Potato Salad

Melon Fruit Salad with Pomegranate Seeds

Birthday Cake

A trireme of beverages, alcoholic and non

Happy 80th Birthday, Neighbor Tess! Hosting this special event was an honor.

Cold seashell pasta salad with spinach, arugula, prosciutto, peas, and a homemade buttermilk-chive dressing. Delicious! From the most recent Cooking Light magazine - they have a feature on entree salads, and they all look really good.

Wheat dinner rolls

Thanks for reminding me about those wonderful salads in this month's issue! I made the seashell pasta too, and used fresh shelled peas from the Arlington market, some leftover spiral ham from Easter (freezes well) and shallots vs. garlic.

Amazing, delicious salad-it accompanied store-bought cold fried chicken. Sometimes you just have to...

Mr. lperry drove back from a road trip through Georgia and brought a truckload of produce with him. Now I have to figure out what to do with ten pounds of genuine Vidalia onions (from Vidalia itself). Tonight we grilled.

Veggie burgers

Silver queen corn with butter and coarse salt

Coleslaw with a Thai-style dressing

Fresh blueberries and peaches