Dinner - The Polyphonic Food Blog

JPW

MORE SANDWICHES.

Homemade sourdough deli rye (used the Jordana II starter), homemade corned beef, coleslaw, pickle, thousand island dressing... all toasted B)

230309_902079358624_5317785_44187356_6007479_n.jpg

Wow, homemade corned beef. That looks soooo good.

Recently, I successfully made a really decent hamburger. My burgers have been hockey pucks so I went as minimal as I could. I used 80/20 chuck and handled it as little as I could and put in an egg and s&p. I even barely shaped them, kinda like I've seen Julia do it. I seared them on my LC grill pan and served on a potato bun with gorgonzola.

I ate 2. Burp.

Last night's dinner was also inspired by Julia's turkey Orloff. I pounded turkey cutlets, floured and seared. I combined a chicken veloute with an egg and cottage cheese mix. Arrange turkey cutlets in a pan with a rice and mushroom duxelle mix in between. Poured the cheese veloute sauce over and baked.

It was a lot of work, but pretty good. I think the dish would work for company and can be assembled ahead of time which is a plus. It seemed sort of retro.

Also recently made another batch of tortilla soup, which was breakfast this am.

tortillasoup-1.jpg

Broccoli slaw with dried cranberries and buttermilk dressing

Seared albacore tuna pepper steak with brandy sauce; nicoise olives and sliced radishes

Egg noodles with dill and butter

Steamed asparagus

Started with a big salad of romaine, pea shoots, peppers, carrots, celery, olives and feta. Dressed with my doctored up Good Seasons creamy vinaigrette dressing (many vinegars, gorgonzola, agave).

Eco Friendly bulk hot Italian sausage, marinara* over spaghett**i. Lots of pecorino on top.

*I used a nice jarred brand, Victoria, from Costco. We really like it and it's so easy when you want to use a worthy substitute.

** Dreamfields pasta brand. I'm impressed. 5 grams digestible carbs per serving. It makes eating a huge bowl of pasta even better.

Night before last, radishes with butter and salt

Warm salad of roasted sweet potato and chickpeas dressed with olive oil, lemon juice, and pecorino romano

Mild mustard greens with pepper flakes

Tonight, from Julie Sahni's book mentioned above,

Butternut squash stewed with yellow split peas and basil - just lovely. Really nicely spiced.

Smoky eggplant salad (a favorite.)

A first attempt at millet roti with not-so-great success. The lovely Indian ladies of youtube call bajra roti "rustic." I think I brought new meaning to "rustic." Next time I'll try a little oil in the dough instead of just flour, salt, and water, and I'll roll them thinner instead of patting them out on a silpat.

BBQ chicken breasts - bone in, skin on, grilled, with Sweet Baby Ray's sauce (mom's fave)

Fresh corn with butter and salt

Broccoli slaw

I made a Mexican chocolate cream pie for dessert, and it came out GREAT! Light, smooth, and with just a hint of spice at the back end. The cinnamon in the graham cracker crust was a hit as well. Recipe came from Cooking Light (yay).

Corn on the cob (from Trader Joe's - obviously not local, but sweet and fresh)

The avocado in my salad last night came from the closest Whole Foods Market. Same w the salt and olive oil. It's okay. I walked there and back again, so low carbon footprint.

Pain de campagne with evoo for dipping

Frisee and baby romaine salad with Campari tomatoes, radishes, cucumbers, and avocado; balsamic vinaigrette

Pasta di Carnevale [recipe from Mimmetta Lo Monte's Classic Sicilian Cooking]

I've been making the pasta dish (rigatoni in tomato sauce with shredded pork, pecorino, cinnamon, black pepper, and almonds) for years, and it came out a little dry this time. Well, I thought it did. My husband didn't notice the difference.

Last night I made Dal Gosht (but actually murgh i.e. chicken with moong dal), tomato/onion relish, Tel Ke Aloo (potatoes in mustard oil), papads and pickles with brown basmanti rice.

5709580401_860f39e116.jpg

Friday I made chana dal with peanuts and spinach, potatoes in mustard oil, tomato chutney, mint/cilantro chutney with brown basmanti rice

5703565742_56e7bbd1b7.jpg

Then I worked all weekend and didn't get to cook till Sunday. I made Lard Na (or Rat Na or whatever) fresh rice noodles with Chinese broccoli and beef in a thick sauce. Sorry, no picture. I wanted to make drunken noodles but there was no holy basil at the Thai store B) . I don't sub Bai Horopa ("Thai" basil) for Bai Gaprao (holy basil) and I hate when Thai restaurants do that. It's one of my pet peeves. I just really love holy basil. Hopefully some will grow in my garden this summer. Now I'm thinking of checking the Thai store to see if I can score some tonight.

Portuguese Tongues of Fire Beans

Cibola Farms Bourbon Fennel bison sausage

Hunk of 'Eric Kayser' bread from Quail Creek

Fresh strawberries - from the Crystal City market, but having a hard time believing they're local. They're too big and perfect...

Hors d'oeuvres: aged gouda, spicy marinated olives

Dinner: seared sea scallops over saffron and chive corn puree; roasted haricots verts and cremini mushrooms. Oregon pinot noir.

Honestly the best scallops and corn I've ever had.

Fridays at home, cooking for one ... there are worse things in life.

Hors d'oeuvres: aged gouda, spicy marinated olives

Dinner: seared sea scallops over saffron and chive corn puree; roasted haricots verts and cremini mushrooms. Oregon pinot noir.

Honestly the best scallops and corn I've ever had.

Fridays at home, cooking for one ... there are worse things in life.

That sounds wonderful. I don't usually cook if it's just for me. I know I should, but I don't...

We've got Cobb Salad and a Boboli pizza with mushrooms.

That sounds wonderful. I don't usually cook if it's just for me. I know I should, but I don't...

I don't either. I usually end up eating the leftovers, or the weird stuff Mr. lperry stashes in the freezer.

Tonight was Trader Joe's Brown Rice spaghetti in a roasted red pepper sauce, and Shanghai cabbage cooked with olive oil and red pepper flakes, just to make it fit in. The greens have been gorgeous at Super H recently, and the spaghetti was really good. Nice texture and flavor from a GF pasta.

Thursday was more Thai food cause I had Holy basil. Yum pla grabong (tuna salad), gaeng chud pak gaad dong (pickled mustard green soup), gaeng gai heng (dry chicken curry with holy basil and peanuts), khai jeow with nam prik siracha and lots of jasmine rice.

5717851350_9cf0cf2a51.jpg

5717287443_4c68248076.jpg

Back to South Asia last night with leftover Dal Gosht, green beans with mustard seeds, dry potatoes (sookeh aloo), and chapatis

5717274221_b3a7f21f1a.jpg

I've been extremely limited in the kitchen lately--if any of you have spent time needing a walker or crutches to walk and stand, you'll know what I am talking about. My daughter is here for a while, to help out, which has been wonderful. Especially since she is currently eating meat and is interested in learning how to cook some of the dishes she has enjoyed in the past. She is my legs and my wheels right now--going out to the 'burbs and exploring the ethnic markets, buying stuff to take back to North Carolina with her, and gathering ingredients for meals. On Thursday, she went to Lebanese Butcher for ground lamb and Halalco for fava beans, fresh herbs and kale, and just to gawk at all the amazing Middle Eastern products. We made merguez meatballs with minted yogurt sauce, braised kale and basmati rice.

Yesterday she went to A&H Seafood in Bethesda and bought mussels, scallops, monkfish, shrimp and cuttlefish (they didn't have any squid) and lobster stock (they were out of fish stock), and we made a delicious tomato-based seafood stew spiced with sweet and spicy pimenton, and favas. If she makes that in North Carolina, she'll have to make some changes in the ingredients, but in leaner times I have made it just with squid, which is cheap, and it is still super delicious. I usually make my own fish stock or shrimp shell stock, but A&H sells quarts of frozen stock very inexpensively and I have used them in the past for convenience.

She has also made trips to H Mart and Great Wall (there's a fantastic thrift shop next door) just to satisfy her curiosity and to buy some Asian drinks, sweet and sauces (she recently spent a few months working in a Chinese restaurant in N.C.) She's turning out to be a chip off the old block. Sweet. B)

Tonight:

Toast with brie

Salad: Romaine, cucumber, tomatoes, radishes, frisee, and green olives; balsamic vinaigrette

Boboli pizza with tomato sauce, zucchini, caramelized red onions, fresh sage and thyme, Parmesan, and mild country pork sausage

Toast with hummus

Spinach salad (mushrooms, bacon, hard-boiled eggs, feta, asparagus) with balsamic vinaigrette

Leftover caramelized onions, zucchini, and country pork sausage

The mishmash was the leftover toppings from the Boboli pizza last night. Spinach salad was extremely good.

Last night was homemade crackers with boucheron and chive flowers.

Tonight, aloo methi, roasted broccoli seasoned with homemade curry powder, and an experimental homemade curry cracker broken into shards. At least the seasonings brought it together...

Last night:

Turkey meatloaf* with a sweet/sour tomato topping.

Broccoli with butter and lemon

Smashed potato medley with gorgonzola

Tonight:

flanksteakdinner-1.jpg

Marinated and grilled flank steak sauced with a gorgonzola mushroom sauce (Ray's inspired)

Oven-roasted tomato medley

Farinata-ish bread

Arugula with kalamata olives, carrots, and parmigiano, in a lemon-dijon vinaigrette

Seared pork chops over seared radicchio in a lemon-caper-parsley-garlic sauce

Roasted garlic potatoes

rosé

The sun hasn't set over the mountains yet and I'm not sure I've ever been this happy.

Leftover saffron-cherry scones and soy spread

Mixed greens salad with radishes, tomato, cucumber, and hard-boiled egg; Newman's poppy seed dressing

Bell peppers stuffed with ground pork

Double Primo Night:

Cream of sorrel and potato soup

Risotto w baby girl zucchini and their blossoms, finally with a really good box of Carnaroli

Macerated strawberries with a small square of a white cake from Safeway, leftover from a piano recital

Wow! I am impressed. Did you make all of this? Kimchee too?

I made everything but the Kimchee. I haven't gotten it together to make my own kimchee this year, but have in years past. There is only my wife and I, so making my own kimchee requires a fervent commitment to eating Korean food on almost a daily basis. We've done this in the past, but I find we are eating mostly Indian nowadays. Thai food is making a comeback though. I just scored a large bunch of cilantro roots at the Del Ray Farmers market. B)

I made everything but the Kimchee. I haven't gotten it together to make my own kimchee this year, but have in years past. There is only my wife and I, so making my own kimchee requires a fervent commitment to eating Korean food on almost a daily basis. We've done this in the past, but I find we are eating mostly Indian nowadays. Thai food is making a comeback though. I just scored a large bunch of cilantro roots at the Del Ray Farmers market. B)

I've seen your Indian food pictures. Look yummy. But if you tell me you made the papads, as an Indian, I will have to leave this board in shame. :D

My new rustic dough formulation (uses 10% rye flour and whey left over from making the ricotta instead of water)! Topped with: 1) Pork confit, Black Mission fig, balsamic drizzle, truffle oil, 2) San Marzano tomato sauce, homemade sausage, homemade ricotta 3) artichoke hearts, kalamata olives, goat feta, roasted garlic, 4) plain cheese.

253449_925837192734_5317785_44378701_4878487_n.jpg

Exact toppings from my notes this morning:

PREBAKE

Salt

Artichoke heart

Feta

Moz

Rosemary

Olives

Red onion

Moz

POSTBAKE