Dinner - The Polyphonic Food Blog

JPW

For a very recent mother & dear neighbor:

Roasted chicken; stuffed with lemon, savory, garlic, dried chili and thyme.

6320911279_6d4f4757a5_z.jpg

Cauliflower à la Polonaise.

Romanesco, yellow cauliflower, béchamel from the stalks and barely boiled farmer’s eggs. Drizzled with rosemary scented schmaltz and some toasted bread crumbs.

6321458418_1a5ca4030d_z.jpg

Pumpkin quick bread

Honey & spice glazed pork chops

Wild and brown rice mix

Braised red cabbage, bacon and Honeycrisp apples

Swiss chard, kale and mustard greens with bacon

This was a nice fall Sunday meal, though a bit heavy on the pork ;) . I had a lot of bacon in the refrigerator that had been there for a while, so I cooked it all in the oven and used it in two different dishes. The pork chop recipe was an old one from Cooking Light. I'm not sure how I even came across it, but it was easy and very good. I made three pork chops instead of 4, and there wasn't a whole lot of excess sauce.

Cranberry Bean Chili with Winter Squash and Swiss Chard

With an overnight soak and an assist from the pressure cooker for the beans, this came together pretty quickly. It was a nice way to use some items purchased at the farmer's market and the chipotle powder gives the dish a kick. Healthy, hearty and satisfyingly vegetarian.

The picture on the link is prettier than mine; the colors in the dish are very autumnal.

post-348-0-31520900-1320702451_thumb.jpg

Friday was fridge cleaning day, wild boar curry with potatoes, broccoli, and green beans. (Boar was shot by a friend) Used "East Indian bottle masala" from 660 Curries, my go to quick one dish curry.

Saturday, cauliflower and potatoes with mustard seeds, fennel seeds, and garlic. Mung bean dumplings in a tomato/cilantro/fenugreek sauce, and chapatis

6322185733_a81348cca1.jpg

Sunday I added saag paneer (except I used tofu instead), leftovers, and made more chapatis.

Tonight leftover saag paneer and Ethiopian masoor dhal (yemisir kik wet), and basmantii rice, still cooking, maybe a photo later.

Hamburgers on potato buns with sauteed shiitake and button mushrooms and Epoisses cheese

Leftover wild and brown rice mix with spicy sausage

I decided to break open my Costco Epoisses and make a knockoff of the Hell burger. I loved mine (which also had some Dijon mustard on it), but my husband doesn't like funky cheeses so much, so he was less thrilled. We each ate 1 1/2 burgers, though :P.

last night:

Mediterranean seafood stew with monkfish, mussels, squid, shrimp and scallops (from A&H in Bethesda)

I usually make my own fish or shrimp stock for the base, but Santi Zabaleta, A&H's new proprietor, makes and sells frozen fish stock for $3.99 a quart (and lobster stock for $4.99 a quart). At that price, I'll save myself the time and trouble. To the fish stock, I added some homemade fresh tomato marinara sauce, some white wine and Pernod, and aromatic herbs.

last of the wine-poached pears

2009 Botani moscatel seco (Ordoñez import)

last night:

salad of chopped iceberg, tomato, cuke and avocado with buttermilk blue cheese dressing

pureed soup made with homemade chixstock, oven roasted butternut squash and bosc pear, persimmon, onion, carrot, parsnip and fennel; aromatic herb bouquet garnie; finished with lemon juice and zest, creme fraiche and cayenne.

brioche toast

last night:

Acorn squash crostini with crispy bacon and sage

Breaded chicken drumsticks

Leftover wild and brown rice mix with spicy sausage, scallions, and toasted cashews

Wax beans with buffalo mozzarella

I dredged the drumsticks in seasoned flour and fried in a cast iron skillet on the stove for a while before splashing with some Worcestershire and finishing in the oven. The mozzarella and wax beans was a bit of a failed experiment. I think I'm going to turn the leftovers into some kind of bean salad.

charcoal grilled herb-brined eco-friendly chcken wings, served buffalo wing style, tossed with butter and hot sauce and dunked in blue cheese dressing (no celery, however)

beans in my bbq sauce

roasted butternut squash, mashed

apricot-glazed almond cake with honeyed creme fraiche

Bell's amber ale

Sunday night:

Baguette slices with orange brie and cranberry chutney (run under the broiler)

Mushroom, fingerling potato, and scallion frittata

Black bean and goat cheese ravioli with sour cream

Wax bean salad with tomato, mozzarella, and vinaigrette

Mashed acorn squash

Last night:

Leftover baguettes with brie and cranberry chutney

Paprika-spiced cauliflower soup with dumplings

Ham steak sandwich with cheddar

Additional cranberry chutney

I finally bought "The Principles of Thai Cookery" by Chef McDang, so we had Thai food this weekend. I also bought a whole chicken so we had chicken dishes. Ideally a Thai meal should have at least five different different dishes, contrasting in flavor, texture, color etc. Over the years I have found cooking five or more dishes, no matter how simple some of them are, gets to be a little overwhelming and I end up not making everything as good as I would like it. If I have all day, extra people to feed, and help in the kitchen, then it's great. But this weekend I had other things to do as well.

In my mind I had five dished I wanted to make, red chicken curry with pumpkin (kabocha), chicken laap (larb), sweet and sour chicken stir fry, tofu and pickled mustard green soup (with chicken stock), and a Thai omelet. To make my life easy I spread these dishes out over three days. On Saturday we had laap gai (minced chicken salad, extra spicy!), geang pet gai sai fak (red curry with chicken and kabocha squash, basil and kaffir lime leaves, homemade curry paste, this was great), kai jiew (Thai crispy "omelet") and lots of jasmine rice.

6340978054_c6e8145f70.jpg

Sunday the curry returned with gai pad priew wan (sweet and sour chicken stir fry with cucumbers, cauliflower, and tomatoes). Thai sweet and sour is very light and easy to make. I also made some prik nam pla (fish sauce with chillies, made it fancy with shallots, garlic and lime juice) which goes great with the eggs.

6347789878_9d192d7722.jpg

Last night I added the tofu and pickled mustard green soup (with stock from the chicken carcass).

I finally bought "The Principles of Thai Cookery" by Chef McDang, so we had Thai food this weekend. I also bought a whole chicken so we had chicken dishes. Ideally a Thai meal should have at least five different different dishes, contrasting in flavor, texture, color etc. Over the years I have found cooking five or more dishes, no matter how simple some of them are, gets to be a little overwhelming and I end up not making everything as good as I would like it. If I have all day, extra people to feed, and help in the kitchen, then it's great. But this weekend I had other things to do as well.

In my mind I had five dished I wanted to make, red chicken curry with pumpkin (kabocha), chicken laap (larb), sweet and sour chicken stir fry, tofu and pickled mustard green soup (with chicken stock), and a Thai omelet. To make my life easy I spread these dishes out over three days. On Saturday we had laap gai (minced chicken salad, extra spicy!), geang pet gai sai fak (red curry with chicken and kabocha squash, basil and kaffir lime leaves, homemade curry paste, this was great), kai jiew (Thai crispy "omelet") and lots of jasmine rice.

6340978054_c6e8145f70.jpg

Sunday the curry returned with gai pad priew wan (sweet and sour chicken stir fry with cucumbers, cauliflower, and tomatoes). Thai sweet and sour is very light and easy to make. I also made some prik nam pla (fish sauce with chillies, made it fancy with shallots, garlic and lime juice) which goes great with the eggs.

6347789878_9d192d7722.jpg

Last night I added the tofu and pickled mustard green soup (with stock from the chicken carcass).

Whoo-eee. Eric, you are amazing!

Rosemary and Meyer lemon-stuffed chicken roasted atop a slab of cranberry-walnut bread, ultimately joined by cipollini, Romanesco broccoli florets and leaves, small head of garlic, carrots, slices of Gold Rush apples and sunchokes

Chilled British-style rice pudding made w Carnaroli, Meyer zest and golden raisins

Funny. He lived in the Washington area in the 1970s (he went to G'town U.) and for a time I actually lived with him. He went by the name Siri Svasti in the West, and I can attest that he was a very, very good cook, even then. Anyone remember a restaurant called Helen's Too on 18th Street (where Mandu is now)? Siri was executive chef there for about a week in the mid-1980s. I never got the story, but there must have been one. He had a restaurant in Rehoboth for a number of years, which is still there, called the Back Porch Cafe.

But a few days ago jenrus watched the movie Spanglish - not my idea of a great movie, but whatever. In the movie Adam Sandler plays a top-level chef and was trained before filming by Thomas Keller. One of the extras on the DVD is Keller making his ideal sandwich. basically a BLT on good toasted bread with a yolky fried egg and melted Monterey Jack cheese. With that inspiration I gave it a shot.

Update while I am waiting for giblets, etc. to simmer sufficiently to transform them into gravy for mashed potatoes and leftover chicken; collards made w tesa vs. ham hocks on the side.

Film career of the chef continues: Lars von Trier put him behind one of the cameras for "Melancholia".

Heading into the holidays, Mr. lperry decided to enter a fitness challenge with his boot camp group, and I'm doing my best not to sabotage him. The past two nights have been large salads of spinach, roquefort, pecans, and apples in a walnut oil / sherry vinaigrette. Last night I used some "world famous" cranberry and banana pepper mustard from West Virginia to pull the dressing together, and it turned out pretty well.

After WAY too long of a hiatus, I actually - gasp! - cooked dinner tonight.

* Soy and cola braised pork shoulder (served as sandwiches, with pickled cukes and shredded carrots)

* Balsamic-glazed green beans with pearl onions

Both recipes from Cooking Light, and both were stellar. The pork was ridiculous - cannot wait to eat leftovers.

I am now going to reward my culinary efforts with a whoopie pie from The Fresh Market. Hey, I didn't say I made dessert...

It was green curry weekend for my wife and I. I haven't made green curry in a while. Had all the paste ingredients (except I had to use cilantro stems instead of roots, boo :angry:, and fermented black beans for shrimp paste, wife is allergic to shellfish). Kaffir lime is frosty from the freezer.

6373841011_2c95756898.jpg

Paste came together nicely

6373843567_577573f943.jpg

Saturday, Sunday and Monday we had green curry (with just beef, stewed till soft and tender) with various other things. For example, fish cakes (tod mun), bak choi with crispy chicken, green mango salad, vegetables and rice

6373846921_3521bc3575.jpg

^Gu(t)s, I never thought of freezing kaffir limes whole! Did you use just the peel, or...?

Just the peel. It defrosts quickly because you only need the outside, just run it under warm water and it's ready. The flavor of the frozen/fresh peel is wonderful and a must for my homemade Thai curry pastes. I have 12 limes in the freezer. Actually, 11 and one defrosted one in the fridge with half the peel remaining. I need to grow some cilantro just for the roots. I hate not having them. They are so tasty.

^Thanks for info since I've got two limes in the fridge w no plans for use at the moment.

Country paté that Pedro Matamoros makes for Evensong Farm, w pistachios and dried fruit

Cornichons, mustard, red wine and bread

Dorie Greenspan's Poutine Farci (link is to early version; final version is in Around My French Table, epicurious, etc.) which I made w cranberry-walnut bread and brioche, shallots, thyme, Taleggio, bacon and creamy, local whole milk whisked into creme fraiche. Highly recommend and easily adaptable as Thanksgiving main for vegetarians and Harry Potter fans.

Green salad of Boston lettuce, radishes and grated carrot

Pink Lady apple

Mmmmm. Chex mix. Tastes like my parents' parties in the '70s.

Criques with a homemade cranberry chutney given to us by our neighbor.

Caramelized chiffonade of Brussels sprouts with an apple grated into the mix.

Etymological and grammatical conundrum: 1. to capitalize Brussels or not and 2. to use a possessive apostrophe or not. I used Wikipedia's spelling which indicates that none of the sprouts belong to the city of Brussels, but they do have some sort of affiliation.

Gyuu-don: grass-fed beef simmered with onions and rehydrated shiitake in mushroom water, soy sauce, mirin, and vermouth with a bit of sugar, then served over steamed hitomebore rice

Miso soup with wakame seaweed and organic extra-firm tofu from Twin Oaks Community Foods in Virginia.

Friday, Kheema (beef, onions, garlic, ginger, whole garam masala, tomatoes, spices), Chana Dal (garlic, coriander seeds, cumin seeds, green chilles, tomato), Pumpkin (cumin seeds, cream), chapatis

6411573307_b5f4226f43.jpg

Saturday, Green apple salad (shallots, mint, cilantro, toasted coconut, peanuts, chicken, lime, fish sauce, green chillies, palm sugar), egg, mild soup (pickled mustard greens, tofu, chicken stock, garlic), Cauliflower (garlic, chicken fat, crispy chicken skin, stock, oyster sauce, fish sauce, dark soy, palm sugar), jasmine rice

6411573775_45d0ac5db1.jpg

I harvested the parsnips from the garden, and a couple actually looked like parsnips instead of cephalopods, so I tried a few things over the past week. Epicurious had a recipe for parsnip and rosemary risotto that I changed a bit for the pressure cooker. It was quite good, as were the roasted root veg (parsnips and carrots from the garden with potatoes from the store) with thyme. Both of these were accompanied by spinach salads with roquefort and pecans with a sherry/walnut oil vinaigrette. There is a clean-out-the-fridge theme going on, and we also had roasted potatoes and sweet potatoes in a honey butter/chipotle glaze with another spinach salad, and tonight was a quinoa salad with roasted mushrooms, sun-dried tomatoes, and feta along with a roasted beet and potato salad. Mr. lperry is still convinced he can lose weight through the holidays, so we will continue on the salad/veg trajectory.

last night;

haddock, pan-fried in panko crumbs, with brown butter, capers and lemon

farro pilaf with pan-roasted chanterelles and criminis

vanilla ice cream sundaes with homemade chocolate sauce

2010 Villa Maria sauvignon blanc

tonight:

tinga de pollo (made with Costco rotisserie chicken)

homemade frijoles refritos

tortillas

meyer lemon tart

Starr Hill amber ale

Grilled monterey jack and cheddar cheese with spicy mustard and mayo

Sour dilly beans grown and canned by my cousin

Sauvignon blanc left over from Thanksgiving

Mmmm....

I do the mustard and mayo on my grilled cheese sandwiches too.

Tonight's dinner was tuna noodle casserole. Lots of frozen peas, capers and sun dried tomatoes along with a few kinds of cheese perked it up.

Leftover pumpkin pie.

Perfect manhattans

Warm medjool dates stuffed with lavender chevre

Chile olives

Fennel and persimmon salad with quick pickled sweet onion and lime vinaigrette

Braised brisket

Farro pilaf with pan roasted chanterelles and criminis

Brussels sprouts with lemon and shallots

Pear frangipane tart with vanilla whipped cream

2004 Confiance

A beautiful, huge head of Savoy cabbage found at the Del Ray farmers market turned into golabki in a sweet and sour tomato sauce. I know some people don't like the smell of cooking cabbage, but when I braise this dish, it is my favorite smell in the house. It's heavenly. I mean, I walk out of the house just to walk back in and have it waft over me.

Mashed potates

Sour cream dressed cukes

Chocolate pumpkin bars

Friday

Arugula and red leaf lettuce salad (pomegranate seeds, cucumber, figs, hard-boiled eggs; vinaigrette)

Mayacoba beans slow cooked with smoked turkey wings

Saturday

Rustic bread and butter; radishes (from Gardener's Gourmet) with butter and coarse sea salt

Leftover arugula, etc., salad

Pork sage sausages with maple syrup

Stuffed pumpkin with cheese, bacon and chipotle chiles; topped with crispy sage

Sunday

Leftover stuffed pumpkin

Swiss chard gratin

Friday was chapatis, papads, batata kheema (potato kheema), ghobi (cauliflower with mustard and fennel seeds), moong masoor dhal, and (cucumber) raita

6453271821_bd26465150.jpg

Saturday was rice and (leftover dhal). No time to cook as I had to work (well, DJ, not really work).

Sunday my neighbor smoked (BBQed) a deer leg

6459613473_c7e0423ae8.jpg

6459613925_8771cb4687.jpg

The Deer came out really well. He was kind enough to share a bit, which I added to my formerly vegetarian spread of papads, ghobi paneer (cauliflower and cheese), moong chana dhal, raita, sweet potato, and chapatis. Drank a bottle of the St. Bernardus Christmas ale. It was good!

6459614271_07ccce16da.jpg

Pan-fried tilapia, stuffed into Moctec flour tortillas with salsa, sour cream, cilantro, lettuce, & a little lime juice.

Green salad

Milk

Peppermint ice cream

Ian didn't like the burrito option, so he ate all of the components separately. Both kids have decided that peppermint ice cream is, as they say, the bomb.