Dinner - The Polyphonic Food Blog

JPW

Caserola de tortillas y legumbres, the vegetables being a variety of purple and green organic runner and pole beans and corn.

Diana Kennedy says the original version of the dish calls for chorizo, but thinks the sausage overpowers the vegetables in the filling. I made a vegetarian version, mixing a bit of feta in with the vegetables sandwiched between two layers of fried tortilla strips and a roasted tomato sauce. Additional cheese grated and sprinkled on top, not the specified queso from Chihuahua.

Pat, DK has a recipe for ground beef w cabbage from Chiapas: Carne de res con col .

boeuf bourguinon made with Smith Meadows grass-fed beef that had been in a cooked wine marinade for 3 days, oven braised with criminis and cippolini onions

steamed green beans

baked potato

seckel pears poached in spiced wine syrup, with vanilla creme fraiche

2009 Dom. Dupeuble Beaujolais (Kermit Lynch import)

boeuf bourguinon made with Smith Meadows grass-fed beef that had been in a cooked wine marinade for 3 days, oven braised with criminis and cippolini onions

steamed green beans

baked potato

seckel pears poached in spiced wine syrup, with vanilla creme fraiche

2009 Dom. Dupeuble Beaujolais (Kermit Lynch import)

Zora,

How long do you cook the wine? What's the process and do you store it after? Freeze it?

Zora,

How long do you cook the wine? What's the process and do you store it after? Freeze it?

I did two dishes with cooked wine, but I presume you are asking about the marinade. I simmer a bottle of red wine with aromatic veg, fresh herbs and a piece of orange peel for about 20-30 minutes, then let it sit and steep until it is cool. Strain out the solids and put the liquid in the fridge in a big measuring cup until it is cold, a few hours or overnight. then I put the meat into a zip-lock bag and pour the marinade over it. Keep the bag in a bowl in the fridge until I'm ready to cook it.

Tonight we had kale and four-mushroom* lasagna with homemade ricotta.

*crimini, oyster, shiitake and porcini

Posole with hot chiles, pork sausage, and tomatoes

Leftover golden beets

Leftover collard squares

Pan-roasted mushrooms

I had cooked an entire pound of Rancho Gordo posole a few months ago and there was no way I was going to be able to use it all in a reasonable time. I vacuum-sealed about half of it and froze it, having no idea how well it would freeze. After thawing in the refrigerator, it went into a Dutch oven yesterday, along with sauteed onion and garlic and some browned habanero-green chile sausage meat I got at Whole Foods. I also put in a can of Muir Glen tomatoes with green chiles, chicken broth, a reconstituted dried ancho, and some adobo sauce from canned chipotles. It simmered for a while but not all that long, since the posole was already fully cooked. It proved to be a successful experiment, spicy but not super hot.

Snap beans and flageolets in a sherry/walnut oil/coarse mustard vinaigrette

Risotto with roasted cherry tomatoes

A summery meal, but all the produce came out of the back yard. If this weather keeps up, the garden will keep producing. I'm pretty sure we had frost before now last year.

cubes of leftover braised eco-friendly pork butt, re-warmed in an improvised mojo (orange juice, lime juice, garlic, onion, cumin and oregano)

spiced-up black beans from a can

basmati rice

fried plantains with creme fraiche

quince and pear tart with almond streusel (made yesterday)

Sam Adams Octoberfest

Today's damp, rainy weather was perfect for chili. I used a seared pork tenderloin leftover from prepping dinner 2 days ago and chopped it up for the chili. I used Hard Times Cincinnati Chili Mix with lots of beans, peppers, mushrooms and tomato products. Oh, and beer.

I find the mix to be a tad spicy hot, so I add a little honey to round out the flavors.

The chili was served chili mac - style over ww pasta with cheese and sour cream.

Hit the spot.

Cookie n' Cream ice cream sandwich.

- Whole black bass baked and roasted with a prawn and fresh lemongrass stuffing*

- Roasted cherry tomatoes with olive oil and tarragon

- Pan-roasted baby carrots from Dupont Farmers Market with lots of diced onion in butter and olive oil

2010 Cederberg Bukettraube (ZA)

and, some kind of pretty amazing Port a neighbor just brought back from Lisbon but, damn her! she didn't leave us the bottle so I'm not sure what it was :angry:

* thanks for that super 'fish from the back,' Blacksalt Market!

With limited resources in our kitchenette at the Residence Inn Marriott in Merrifield, a salad of arugula with Hakorei turnips and green meat radish from our CSA with homemade miso salad dressing, boiled potatoes (also from our CSA), and shrimp (from H-Mart) in a garlic cream sauce.

Manhattans. which don't go with the rest of the meal but were great nevertheless

Enchiladas with chicken (simmered in an improvised chili broth that got reduced to become the sauce), goat cheese, and black beans

Rajas poblanos, except we had no poblanos and subbed in anaheims and red bell pepper instead

Halloween candy :x

A beautiful bowl of just-made broccoli soup

A just-baked, fantastic apple and cheddar muffin

A delicious 2008 French white wine with too many words on it for me to bother typing it all :lol:

Three for three!

I'd never made the muffins before, but they're really good. Fluffy and cheesy and not, actually, very apply; the apple just adds a bit of clean sharpness to the flavor. Keeper!

I haven't yet had a chance to try Jamie S's charcuterie. If you've had Weisswurst in Bavaria, how does his compare with it? Does his have the thick casing that must be peeled away?

I've never had weisswurst in Germany, but have eaten numerous American versions. Jamie's is superb, subtly spiced and great texture. It is in a natural casing (i assume pork) that is not thick.

Saturday, Malay chicken curry, stir fried spinach with garlic, and cucumber "pickle" (achad/achar) (fresh cucumber with sugar, vinegar, garlic, chillies, cilantro, and peanuts). Jasmine rice.

6292898989_835d1f3d56.jpg

Sunday, Shab deg (lamb neck with turnips), green beans with garlic and mustard seeds, cucumber raita, hari chutney. Basmanti rice

6299952237_e0c7215c14.jpg

One miniature Almond Joy. Two miniature Heath Bars. Miso soup, dinner style, thick with shiitake mushrooms and pure buckwheat soba noodles.

Eying the miniature Reese's Peanut Butter Cups.

I admire your restraint.

In the holiday spirit, roasted sweet potato soup with apple and garam masala, topped with roasted pumpkin seeds. I've also eaten approximately four hundred million Tootsie rolls and a couple of Butterfingers. A very long run is planned for tomorrow.

Salad of red leaf lettuce, (hydroponic) tomatoes, and radishes; vinaigrette

Leftover cream of potato, leek, and watercress soup

Cheese tortellini in a Parmesan cream sauce

I'm resisting the inclination to call the sauce for the tortellini "Alfredo," but that was the general idea <_< .

I've never had weisswurst in Germany, but have eaten numerous American versions. Jamie's is superb, subtly spiced and great texture. It is in a natural casing (i assume pork) that is not thick.

The apparently official Weisswurst page, from the Bayerisches Staatsministerium für Ernährung, Landwirtschaft und Forsten: Weisswurst!

Doh! We unwittingly violated many of the rules: we ate it in the evening not the morning, steamed and then pan-grilled the sausages, and did not remove the casings.

If the casings were easily edible, then there wouldn't be any reason to remove them. The casings used for Weisswurst in Germany are thick and tough, and you wouldn't want to eat them. I mean to cast no aspersions on Mr. Stachowski or his sausages, which I have every reason to believe are excellent, short of having eaten any myself. But some German-style sausages one encounters in the U.S. are rather different from what one finds in Germany. The "Brat Hans" line that Whole Foods carries provides a perfect example. They have a Bratwurst that's really quite good, suitable for pan-grilling. They also have a Weisswurst, but it seems to be pretty much the same sausage as the Bratwurst, only with parsley added. It's also suitable for pan-grilling and is also quite good, but it's not really Weisswurst. It doesn't even have any veal in it.

Sausages and Green Lentils with Tomato Salsa - since my hunt for the Castelluccio lentils was a dead-end, I went with Puy lentils. The result was a lovely bowl of comfort food, fairly easily prepared, though I'm pretty sure I used almost every pot in the house ;) I liked the 'salsa' - the cinnamon stick and dried red pepper added a nice hint of complexity.

Steamed broccoli with a splash of olive oil and a squeeze of lemon juice rounded out what felt like a pretty healthy, and very satisfying, meal.

Salad

Soup- leftover cabbage, Red Apron merguez, leftover rosemary potatoes, onions, scallions, chicken stock and water made for a surprisingly wonderful peasant soup inspired by Jacques. I so enjoy making soup with any type of sausage as I leave the seasoning and flavors mostly up to the sausage itself. Each soup sings a different song depending on the protein, sausage preparation and who made it.

Fall lasagna with roasted, saged butternut squash, canned pumpkin, bechamel, Blue Ridge mozzarella, smoked mozzarella, goat's milk ricotta and Fulvi. The salty pecorino was a nice foil for the sweeter squash.

Last night

Baby arugula with tomatoes, cucumber, and radishes; vinaigrette

Dates stuffed with Grand Marnier brie and peanut butter [different stuffings for different dates]

Turkey chili with sour cream and avocado; tortilla chips

Tonight

BBQ roasted half chicken [bbq sauce added at the end]

Leftover macaroni and cheese

Roasted poblanos stuffed with turkey chili

Fall lasagna with roasted, saged butternut squash, canned pumpkin, bechamel, Blue Ridge mozzarella, smoked mozzarella, goat's milk ricotta and Fulvi. The salty pecorino was a nice foil for the sweeter squash.

A few years back Gourmet (IIRC) had a butternut squash lasagne with hazelnuts as a holiday main. I need to find that recipe again.

Weird schedules and too much travel have made for clean out the fridge or see what's in the pantry meals lately, the least embarrassing of which were grits with sautéed spinach, mushrooms, and pecorino cheese, and penne with roasted cherry tomatoes and goat's cheese. The pasta was tonight, and the tomato plants keep cranking them out, although I think all but two have stopped blooming now. I can't bring myself to tell them it's almost winter.

(Yesterday)

Chicken and two bean chili: Ground chicken breast sautéed with cumin, garlic, and hot chili powder; green bell pepper and red onion diced and sweated with same seasonings; three cans of diced tomatoes with chilies and one can of hot diced chilies added, along with a can each of rinsed and drained cannelini beans and red kidney beans. Simmered on low for a couple of hours.

I usually use some beer or broth in my chili, but this time I just didn't feel like it, and somehow it ended up the best I'd made in maybe ever. Glad I have two full servings of leftovers in the freezer now.