dr.com All-Vegetarian Dinner at Masa 14, Wednesday, June 20th @ 7 PM - $30+++

DonRocks

Just FYI, Antonio Burrell expressed interest in doing a vegetarian (!) dinner on 6/13. We haven't connected yet, but keep things open just in case!

His fried chicken is vegetarian, right? After all, I've never met a chicken who eats meat! (I think.)

Just FYI, Antonio Burrell expressed interest in doing a vegetarian (!) dinner on 6/13. We haven't connected yet, but keep things open just in case!

June 20th. It's a go unless someone can tell me a compelling reason why not to (Antonio wants to do it on the vernal equinox).

Antonio Burrell has expressed interest in doing a vegetarian (!) dinner on 6/13 6/20. We haven't connected yet, but keep things open just in case!

I just got a message from Antonio - he wants to do it on the 27th. So, the 27th it will be, with details forthcoming.

---

ETA - Doggone it. Scratch this - I didn't notice the overlap with the other dinner. I'll talk with Antonio and get back to everyone.

Edited by DonRocks

Can we at least have some idea of the cost? Dame Edna and I would interested in this, but would like some more info.

I've asked Antonio to keep it toward the gentle side to give more people a chance to come (while at the same time making a fair profit, and reaping some PR in the process). It's doable because since it's vegetarian, food costs will be somewhat lower. We haven't discussed dollars yet, but it won't be too much. We're trying to make this one populist.

also, since different people have different ideas re affordability, by "gentle" and "populist", do you mean total (plus tax and tip, minus drinks) running $50 or under per person, or maybe closer to $75 or $100? i know it's hard for you and antonio to know right now, as part of the cost may be determined by the final menu and how many people end up coming, and that you don't want to be held to an initial low estimate if it turns out to be higher, but some ballpark figures would be useful.

Here's the rundown:

* June 20th, 7 PM

* $30 per person, plus tax and gratuity

* Drinks available to go with the food sold a la carte

* Feel free to arrive early and have drinks at the bar (maybe we can all meet at 6-ish?)

* I know from experience that Masa 14 has a *ridiculously inexpensive* happy hour until 7 PM

* Pound a few $4 drinks beforehand, and you won't need to drink as much with your meal :)

* Limited to the first 20 people making a reservation through the restaurant, $10 non-refundable deposit required

* (This is to help front the cost to the co-op Antonio will be using, probably Tuscarora)

* Menu TBD, but will be fun, family style, and feature house-made cheese

* No valet parking available, so Metro or arrive early and grab a meter on the street

Call (202) 328-1414 with your credit card, and say you're reserving for the June 20th donrockwell.com dinner.

Feel free to bring your family and friends (please, out of a courtesy to us, have your adult guests register with dr.com as members so they can write about the meal - there is no doubt that part of the low cost of this meal is so that Masa can get some PR, so I strongly encourage everyone who attends to post).

They'll close it off at 20 people. Get moving!

Call (202) 328-1414 with your credit card, and say you're reserving for the June 20th donrockwell.com dinner.

I tried calling and got no answer which led into the answering machine spiel. Should we leave messages or, as the spiel says, should we call back at 3:30 and talk to a hostess?

I tried calling and got no answer which led into the answering machine spiel. Should we leave messages or, as the spiel says, should we call back at 3:30 and talk to a hostess?

My advice would be to leave a message with a name, contact number, and request for number of attendees, and be prepared for a callback (and have your credit card handy). I think it's fair for people who leave messages to be considered "first in line."

here is the menu as it stands right now. There may be some last minute changes but barring any catastrophes, here it is. There will be a minimal amount of cream, cheese and butter used and eggs of course, but there will be no other animal (or fish) products used.

DonRockwell Vegetarian Dinner

June 20th

7pm

Assorted Cruditetes and Kushiage

Radishes, carrots, kale chips

1st course

Brocolli and Cheddar Soup

Croutons

2nd course

Spring

Fava Beans, asparagus flan, nasturtiums, mushrooms

3rd course

Baby Carrot and Beets as many ways as possible

4th course

Tempura Squash Blossom

Filled with house made smoked ricotta and organic egg, spring onion soubise

Dessert

Fresh local strawberries and rhubarb muile fuille, ginger ice

here is the menu as it stands right now. There may be some last minute changes but barring any catastrophes, here it is. There will be a minimal amount of cream, cheese and butter used and eggs of course, but there will be no other animal (or fish) products used.

DonRockwell Vegetarian Dinner

June 20th

7pm

Assorted Cruditetes and Kushiage

Radishes, carrots, kale chips

1st course

Brocolli and Cheddar Soup

Croutons

2nd course

Spring

Fava Beans, asparagus flan, nasturtiums, mushrooms

3rd course

Baby Carrot and Beets as many ways as possible

4th course

Tempura Squash Blossom

Filled with house made smoked ricotta and organic egg, spring onion soubise

Dessert

Fresh local strawberries and rhubarb muile fuille, ginger ice

FYI we currently have 4 people signed up for this event. I'll let people know by Tuesday whether or not we're going to cancel it.

If I didn't have to be in Baltimore, I'd be all over this like a foodie at a foodie picnic bacon tasting. Seriously, if you haven't had the pleasure of one of Antonio's custom tasting menus before (and you really should...it's one of my favorite special occasion surprises), be ready to be shocked by his versatility.

Really? Just four? I'm surprised. I'm signed up (+1). 1000yregg is signed up. Surely we aren't the only ones who are excited about this.

That's kind of what I was thinking, too. But ... just four.

We're at 10 now, so this is a go. Can we take this up to 20 people please? It's this coming Wednesday.

I just tried to make a reservation for this and got somebody who seemed to know nothing about this. Didn't ask for a credit card number, either. I guess we will show up at 7 and see what happens.

I think it's under "dr.com" not "donrockwell.com," but I'm sure Antonio will see this between now and Wednesday. I wouldn't just show up because he's ordering from a co-op for this event.

I just tried to make a reservation for this and got somebody who seemed to know nothing about this. Didn't ask for a credit card number, either. I guess we will show up at 7 and see what happens.

The same thing happened to me on Friday. Fortunately, the person who answered the phone transferred me to someone who knew what was going on and took the reservation and deposit. I'd try again and just keep asking until you get to the right person.

I did ask to speak to somebody who knows about this event and was put on "hold" twice. We will show up at 7 and if we are not on the list, we will simply walk down the street to Cork and get some food. I am looking forward to seeing what Antonio has planned; but if the support staff is too incompetent to deal with this, then well . . .

I did ask to speak to somebody who knows about this event and was put on "hold" twice. We will show up at 7 and if we are not on the list, we will simply walk down the street to Cork and get some food. I am looking forward to seeing what Antonio has planned; but if the support staff is too incompetent to deal with this, then well . . .

At the risk of diminishing dr.com's importance, one party of 10-20 people on a Wednesday night is not so much as a blip on the radar of a restaurant that probably does 500 covers on weekends - it's very difficult to assemble the entire staff (probably 30 people) at once to communicate something like this. I wouldn't read too much into it - this event is not coming from corporate (Colorado) or marketing (New York); it's Antonio going rogue for us.

Barbara, we do have your reservation, so you are set to go.

Here are some other answers to help you guys out:

1. We have set the pdr aside for the event and it will be set with five, four tops.

2. you are more than welcome to meet up at the bar and enjoy cocktails before hand, happy hour runs from five till seven.

3. I am looking forward to this more than you guys know.

4. this isn't a corporate thing at all, just me wanting to take up a challenge given to me by a member of dr.com.

I have a previous engagement, or we would be all over this event. Nonetheless, as one of two who are frequently excluded from restaurant events due to dietary restrictions (not whining - just reality), I want to thank you for making it happen. I hope someone takes a camera, and I wish you all bon appetit!

Yeah, I don't know about that. I know I'm looking forward to it immensely!

Ditto. Dame Edna and I try to stick to a vegetarian diet at home (plus seafood) and are eager to see what Antonio can do. Making this kind of diet interesting has proved to be quite a challenge to us.

I have a previous engagement, or we would be all over this event. Nonetheless, as one of two who are frequently excluded from restaurant events due to dietary restrictions (not whining - just reality), I want to thank you for making it happen. I hope someone takes a camera, and I wish you all bon appetit!

I'm bringing my camera tomorrow!