Dinner - The Polyphonic Food Blog

JPW

3-day yogurt-marinated lamb loin chops, charcoal-grilled with applewood smoke chips

herbed basmati rice (finely chopped dill, mint, parsley mixed into the cooked rice)

green beans with roasted poblano, garlic, and lemon

slightly smoked corn on the cob

2012 A.J. Vajra Langhe rosso

• Like 1

Salad of baby arugula and frisee, cucumber, red and yellow tomatoes, and yellow peach; dill-garlic white balsamic vinaigrette

Leftover roast chicken

Rice pilaf w/short-grain rice

Steamed green beans

I could not find any long grain white rice in the house, so I made the pilaf with sushi rice.  It came out remarkably well.  I've never made pilaf with anything shorter than medium grain rice before.

Pulled pork & slaw, again (I froze the rest for my son & his roommates).

Inspired by Pat's dandelion green salad, I sampled some out in the yard today- now I know why we eat spring greens instead of old ones, it was intensely bitter.

The last of the fresh pineapple, drizzled w/ ginger syrup.

I have green beans I need to cook, but I wasn't inspired, despite everyone else's yummy green beans-tomorrow is another day.

last night:

sweet red peppers stuffed with ground lamb, basmati rice, smoked paprika, cumin, and a lot of chopped fresh herbs: cilantro, mint, parsley, dill baked in and topped with a fresh tomato marinara

garlicy sauteed fresh spinach

little potatoes, boiled, cut in half and crisped in duck fat

Chickpea, smoked paprika soup from Leite's Culinaria

Roasted acorn squash (garden) and dates with thyme (I had lemon in the garden, so used that) from this month's Bon Appétit, minus the garlic

post-3913-0-05127600-1412528744_thumb.jp

In case you were wondering, dates roasted with coconut oil taste like tropical caramels.

Friday night:

Breakfast for dinner

Pumpernickel bagel and cream cheese

Mushroom spinach frittata

Bacon

Last night:

Spanish goat fig, and honey cheese with paprika; Triscuits
Blistered shisito peppers
Quinoa-gigande bean salad
Leftover chicken drumsticks
Curly kale with bacon
  • Like 1

Dinner was BLTs and sliced cucumbers, but I also just got done making this: http://seriouseats.com/2014/09/the-food-lab-use-the-oven-to-make-the-best-darned-italian-american-red-sauce-ever-recipe.html

It. Is.  AWESOME.  Off to look for new ways to use it (eggplant parmesan is already on my brain).

Made "zoodles" (zucchini noodles) with turkey meatballs and the aforementioned red sauce.  It's official: with a sauce that good, I can be fooled into thinking zucchini is pasta.

• Like 2

A lentil salad with roasted beets, a yellow pepper from the graden, a handful of flat-leaf parsley (garden) and tarragon (deck), dressed in a sherry, Dijon vinaigrette.  A side dish for most people, but a fall, heavy-ish dinner for us.  :)

Mapo tofu with rice, swiss chard sautéed with shallot and balsamic vinegar. The heat is not yet on in my building, so there may be "hot spiked cocoa for one" for dessert....

The swiss chard in my garden is finally producing happily and without overwhelming insect interference. I forgot that I had picked some stalks this weekend to try out, so this was a make-do-with-what-you-have side dish. Also accidentally grabbed a container of soft tofu instead of silken (my preferred for mapo tofu) and didn't notice until after I'd drained it in the sink, oops. I am having trouble finding the brand of hot bean sauce (glass jar, blue label, red lid, from the "Har Har Pickle Food Factory") that I prefer for this dish, tried a different brand tonight and it is saltier than I'd like.

• Like 2

Composed salad of hearts of celery, sliced tomato, toasted hazelnuts, home-pickled banana pepper slices, marinated artichoke hearts, and feta; white balsamic vinaigrette

Leftover poached chicken

Leftover romano beans

Leftover polenta

wild sockeye salmon burgers, with Asian flavors: ginger, lemon grass, scallion, cilantro, white pepper, lime zest cooked a la plancha and served on crusty rolls with wasabi-ginger-lime sauce (mayo, sour cream, lime juice/zest), grilled onion, avocado, tomato, and butter lettuce.

grilled bok choy

bartlett pears

2012 Botani dry moscato

Butter lettuce and frisee with tomato, mushrooms, artichoke hearts and feta; white balsamic vinaigrette

Waldorf salad

Beef stew with sweet potatoes and carrots

Leftover rice pilaf

Leftover kale and bacon

The Waldorf salad was for me, as my husband doesn't like it very much.  The stew featured recycled and supplemented braising liquid from the recent short ribs.  Maybe that sounds unappealing, but the stew was deeply flavored and delicious.

pork tenderloin coated in fresh thyme, garlic, white pepper, coriander, allspice, seared then roasted to medium rare, served with sauteed apples and prunes in a reduced apple cider sauce (with a splash of Calvados to finish)

butter lettuce, pea shoot, and pecan salad with apple cider vinaigrette

• Like 1

albondigas y alubias: an improvisation based on eco-friendly ground pork and fresh cranberry beans. I made meatballs with chorizo-ish flavoring (pimenton, garlic, cumin, parsley, sherry vinegar) and roasted them in the oven. I had some marinara I'd made from fresh tomatoes, which I combined with cooked fresh cranberry beans, smoked eggplant, wild maitake duxelles, and roasted sweet red pepper, white wine, more pimenton, and cumin. When the browned meatballs came out of the oven, I stewed them in the vegetable-bean sauce for a while.

pan-roasted Brussels sprouts

canteloupe

2012 Mas Donis

• Like 1

Little one came home today craving pad see-eaw, so I added an order of larb gai from our local Thai restaurant, Thai Nakorn. I haven't asked E how her noodles are ("amazing"-unprompted), but my larb is super spicy, just the way I like it. She's laughing at me, because I keep making hot food noises.

LPerry, I am going to miss my Sungolds, I'm amazed at how much those plants produced, in spite of almost total neglect, I think I probably picked the last 4 yesterday.

• Like 1

Eating leftover mapo tofu, but cooking like mad for a weekend camping event - 15th century style. The event closes to the public by 5 pm on Saturday, then we embark on a 6-course meal partially cooked on-site and partially premade. I am premaking doucetes (a sort of flan pie) for breakfast, onion tarts for dinner, and wafres (aka pizelles, using a 'vintage' cast iron mold on my gas stove) for snacks.

About half a dozen people work on the food before and during the event. We have a large fire pit with spits, grills, and tripods used to cook and reheat foods. The fire pit works all day, then at night it acts as a small bonfire for marshmallows (mostly for the kids) and sitting around with beverages (adults). This year some industrious folks have made an experimental clay beehive oven onside, we are going to play around with fresh rolls, pretzels, and such.

The spices used in this period tended to be mixes similar to "pumpkin pie spice", ie ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, and some combination of galingal, grains of paradise, and black pepper.

The plan (Saturday dinner for roughly 17 people)

course 1:

roast onion salad (onions cooked whole in coals from the fire, then chopped and served with a vinegar and spice dressing)

squash and pork  ("squash" in our period were really closer to gourds, most of what we now consider squash were not available)

course 2:

cheesy tarts with onion and bacon

fresh hot rolls

homemade camembert   (one person has taken up cheesemaking as a hobby)

course 3:

caudle almonde (a kind of almond milk made with wine or ale)

funges - mushrooms sautéed with leeks and spices

Course 4

Roast of Pork (on the spit)  with  sauce/ mustard

Course 5

Carbonata (Candied Bacon)

Course 6 (desserte)

Cheesecake, candied ginger/ nuts  (cheesecake is not the same as modern cheesecakes, and uses fresh homemade chese)

Sliced apples/ pears

One of the questions we are most frequently asked by members of the public during the day at these types of events is "Are you going to eat that?!?". Why yes, yes we are.

• Like 1

Reconnecting over dinner with an old California friend who we haven't seen in more than 25 years...

eco-friendly pork terrine with cornichons and watermelon radish slices

selection of cheeses and homemade membrillo

Bread Furst baguette

City of Light cocktail

savory masa corncakes with green chile, cheese, and lime crema

herb brined, applewood-smoked chicken thighs with ZQ sauce

grilled cauliflower, roasted red pepper, sungold tomatoes, caper-dill vinaigrette

rustic plum tart with plum-ginger jam, almond crust and vanilla whipped cream

2006 Glorioso rioja

Blistered shisito peppers

Microwave-steamed couscous and flounder with red bell pepper and baby spinach

Cauliflower in cheese sauce

The flounder was a variation on a Martha Stewart recipe and came out pretty well.  I scaled down the recipe and also used spinach instead of zucchini.

cheater's chicken korma made with leftover Costco rotisserie chicken, Patak's korma sauce + onion, fennel, carrot, butternut squash, wild mushroom duxelles, saffron water, vadouvan, frozen peas, and coconut milk

basmati rice

Tasty Bite dal makhani

raita

cilantro-mint chutney

Fat Tire

• Like 1

Sunday supper with the niece and nephew

cheeses, olives, sungold tomatoes, Atwater fennel fig bread, and Fresh Baguette ficelle

perfect manhattans

butter lettuce salad with avocado, cucumber, watermelon radish, and lime vinaigrette

charcoal-grilled eco-friendly chorizo

fabada, made with pressure cooked gigante beans, bacon, leek, fennel, butternut squash, tomatoes, pimenton, cumin, saffron water, aromatics

2006 Glorioso rioja

pear and quince tarte tatin

sweetened vanilla creme fraiche

Caponata theme.  A spaghetti squash, roasted whole with the seeds inside, scraped and topped with caponata made with eggplant, red and yellow sweet peppers, and tomatoes from the garden.  The last basil leaves made into chiffonade for the top.

Leftover chipotle black bean soup

Spaghetti squash a la Moosewood*

*i.e., the basic preparation for the squash given in the original cookbook.  I didn't have cottage cheese or ricotta so substituted farmer's cheese I had bought on a whim.

Sunday night we had organic beef steaks that I get from the Flying W in Burlington, WV (we get a cow at Xmas).  With fruit salad, potatoes and a big salad.  Last night we had leftover pulled pork sauteed with peppers and onions, some spaghetti sauce and red wine over spaghetti and a piece of leftover cake.  

Leftover curried pumpkin and red lentil soup

Spinach salad with bacon, cremini mushrooms, and hard-boiled egg; champagne-caper vinaigrette

Tomato-chipotle pulled pork sandwiches with avocado and banana peppers

Welsh rabbit/rarebit [whatever] with apple

salad of butter lettuce, pea shoots, apple, pecans, in apple cider vinaigrette

the rest of the beer from the rabbit/rarebit

On the way to Watkins Glen, NY Rt 414 passes through a hamlet called Beaver Dams.  Nearly every time we've been there over the past 13 years, there's been a big sign on the side of the road   <----CHEESE  pointing to a farmhouse and a few barns.  We've never stopped until past weekend.  What we found was an older gentleman who sells a cheddar style cheese that he gets in 10- or 20-pound blocks from some place in the Adirondacks (he wouldn't go into details).  It was a nice cheese, tangy but not too sharp, aged 2 years iirc.  We bought a pound (and a jar of blueberry jam his wife made).  It made a nice sauce for toast.  Friday night more of it might go into a grilled cheese/apple/bacon sandwich, with a fried duck egg on top.

• Like 1

Making dinner with what's in the pantry and in the garden.  A gratin of shaved sweet potato and potato, layered with herbed goat's milk cheese (lemon thyme, chives), and balsamic-seasoned chard, topped with pecorino romano.  Comfort food on a cold, damp day. 

Friday was taco night, with flour tortillas, two fillings (fish and pork), and a bunch of accompaniments.  The fish was leftover trout from a meal at Sonoma.

Fish tacos
Pulled pork tacos
Accompaniments:
Slaw (green cabbage, carrot, vinegar, pepper)
Chopped tomato
Sliced avocado
Scallion tops
Cilantro
Sour cream

Salad of red leaf lettuce, tomato, cremini mushroom, and avocado; sesame shiitake vinaigrette

Tortilla soup with garnishes (avocado, radishes, cilantro, scallions, and cojita cheese)

Leftover black pepper tofu and brown rice with added poached chicken

I cooked a whole chicken yesterday, and most of the broth went into tonight's soup.  Some of the meat went onto the reheated tofu and rice.

Salad of red leaf lettuce, tomato, cremini mushroom, and avocado; sesame shiitake vinaigrette...

Pat, would you mind sharing where you get your ideas for salad dressings?  I always end up making the same tarragon, Dijon vinaigrette.

Last night: blistered shishito peppers tossed with sesame oil and coarse salt

Broccoli in a peanut ginger sauce

Jasmine rice