Dupont Circle FreshFarm Market - 20th St. & Massachusetts Avenue NW

Here it is. This is on our spring to early summer menu while the greens are still small and tender. In Italy, spinach is a common ingredient but I actually like it less with spinach. I use Spring Valley's stir fry mix mostly. I Tried to attach it as a document but apparently I don't know how or I did something wrong.

Torte Verde

Makes 1 9-inch springform or 12 - 4oz individual

This is an old Jewish Italian Passover recipe that was made with matzo meal. This is the everyday version of the dish. It has since evolved into Torte di Pasqua made with a buttery crust and served at Easter. But that version is more complicated and, frankly, the richness of the butter crust gets in the way of the flavor of the greens. This version is a “reverse frittata” in that it is almost all stuffing and very little egg. It works best baked in baking rings {2.75”} and the little cakes slide right out. But a 4oz aluminum baking foil cup or even a muffin pan will do, you just have to be careful taking them out so that they do not break.

4 quarts assorted greens {a mix of several types of kales, chards & mustards is best}

6 eggs

6 shallots, or spring onions, or 4 garlic scapes or pieces of green garlic.

1 celery heart

1 cup grana

Pecorino Toscano or Crotonese

4 grates Nutmeg

¼ tsp dry or 1 tablespoon fresh Oregano

¼ to ½ tsp Sriacha

Salt & pepper

½ Tablespoon Chopped Thyme

½ Tablespoon chopped Rosemary

Butter

Panko {Japanese bread crumbs}

Olive oil

Chop the greens roughly in to 1” by 2-1/2 inch strips. Mince the heart of celery. Shave the pecorino Toscano with a veggie peeler into thin strips {about ¼ cup}. Mince the shallots or spring onions or garlic scapes green garlic

If using the green garlic or scapes, sauté them in olive oil until they lose their sharpness. Otherwise add the spring onion or shallots to a hot pan filmed with olive oil with the celery, fresh oregano, if using, rosemary and thyme. Saute until the shallots {or whatever} are soft and sweet. Add the chopped greens and cook until completely wilted. Season with salt, pepper, Sriracha, nutmeg, dried oregano, if using, salt and pepper. You should not be able to taste the nutmeg as an individual flavor, just as an aromatic element. Set aside to cool.

Melt butter and with a brush, coat the bottom and sides of a 9 inch spring form or 12 - 4 oz baking rings or 4 oz aluminum baking cups. Sprinkle with panko and roll the container to coat the sides well. Brush with more butter and repeat with the panko.

Beat 6 eggs and add to the cooled greens mix along with the cheeses. Mix to combine the ingredients. Fill the baking pans gently so not to disturb the crumb crust. Top with slivered almonds. If using small containers, bake on a cookie sheet for 25 minutes at 300 degrees. If using a spring form, bake for 1 hour. When a wooden tooth pick inserted comes out clean, the torte is ready. Unmold and serve immediately or let cool to room temperature.

Were you the one who complained at Sunnyside? I heard reports of some guy who complained quite loudly that there was no lovage. Turns out it didn't make it on to the truck for some reason. It should have been there. If you need it for a special project let me know and I'll hook you up.

Nah, wasn't me. Apparently lots of people were in need of some lovage that Sunday. Thanks for the offer, but it was for that Monday, so no need anymore.

Even in the heat the market was packed.

Tomatoes are in! This heat is making creating tomatoes that make up for last year's disappointing crop. Blackberries were everywhere. Farm at Sunnyside had fresh edemame on the stem. Heinz had beautiful tomatillos. Carrots of all colors. It's the market I dream of in the depths of winter.

Tomatoes are in!

So, I need to get whole lot of tomatoes, as we intend to make and can spaghetti sauce this year. Do you all have any thoughts on which farm I ought to talk to about decent prices on a large quantity of sauce-type tomatoes?

So, I need to get whole lot of tomatoes, as we intend to make and can spaghetti sauce this year. Do you all have any thoughts on which farm I ought to talk to about decent prices on a large quantity of sauce-type tomatoes?

I talked to Mark Toigo about this last year- but didn't end up making the sauce. But he might be another person to check with.

I talked to Mark Toigo about this last year- but didn't end up making the sauce. But he might be another person to check with.

Another farm to check with at 14&U Saturday and Sunday at Bloomingdale iis Garner Produce. Bernard has been selling big boxes of seconds for 12 dollars. He used to sell to Carol Greenwood. Or Truck Patch at both markets.

At Dupont, Heinz at Next-Step Produce had organic seconds for $2 a lb. He also has deals on large baskets (bushels?) full of plum toms., but it's too early in the season for him, perhaps.

I love Garners, too, which sells to too few shoppers at the new H&HS market on Wednesdays. I slow-roasted their yellow Italian plum tomatoes a couple of weeks ago. Glorious! (Farm's prices are very reasonable.)

This is as good a place as any to give you some good advice for dealing with this summer's extreme heat: EAT MORE TOMATO SKINS W FAT!! You know Marcella Hazan's simple Italian tomato sauce made with a quartered onion, salt and a stick of butter? Just keep the skins on prepped tomatoes and reduce the amount of butter if you must, or use olive oil instead. Lycopene in the fruit protects your skin and I forget what it is about fat that enhances its properties, but there you go.

check out the price of green beans at the market these days. i passed up some mature long beans because they were selling for $9 a pound and instead picked up a small box from the fruit stand for $5. at the time, $5 seemed like a good price, but when i got home, i decided to weigh them, and they weighed less than six ounces. i believe that comes to more than $13 a pound.

Regrettably, Next-Step Produce will not be at market tomorrow. Their spot in the parking lot will be occupied by Farm at Sunnyside, instead, so you can pick up your fresh, local organic vegetables in the same location, just from Virginian soil vs. Maryland.

The Chef at Market event has been cancelled, too, and it makes sense since who wants to stand in the pouring rain listening to a recipe and waiting for a soggy paper plate w a forkful or so of rapidly cooling food?

Orchids are best purchased indoors henceforth as one might imagine. However, let's hope Roger Arbec, the orchid guy, is wrong and there will be more than 61 of you shopping for groceries and goodies.

At least it won't be crowded, and Mrs. B., probably not a whole lot of strollers! :)

So, come! Panettone at Atwaters. Venison ragu at The Copper Pot, if you're lucky. Winter squash, tat soi, kale, potatoes, apples, quince, cider, free-range eggs, lamb chops, shins, organic milk, mozzarella, carrots, turnips, beets, bison, tortellini, feta, crab cakes, soups, bacon, preserves, croissants...

Sigh, and such a good kisser, too!

I'm so confused (by the comments and the "art") :)

Cf. left-hand margin of yesterday's e-newsletter from FRESHFARM Markets which congratulates Mark Toigo for his recent marriage. Waitman implies that the former chef is in fact responding to the news when repurposing a globe so that it resembles a blackened, forlorn melon split asunder, barren (seeds scooped out; organic matter brown tendrils, disconnected, leafless...), broken like a heart, and heaped high with colorless, inedible nothingness that only looks like over-whipped cream.

Cf. left-hand margin of yesterday's e-newsletter from FRESHFARM Markets which congratulates Mark Toigo for his recent marriage. Waitman implies that the former chef is in fact responding to the news when repurposing a globe so that it resembles a blackened, forlorn melon split asunder, barren (seeds scooped out; organic matter brown tendrils, disconnected, leafless...), broken like a heart, and heaped high with colorless, inedible nothingness that only looks like over-whipped cream.

Thank you, and you've truly done the art? far more justice than I possibly could. You know, come to think of it, I did make a strangely similar piece recently. After making ricotta, I flicked what clinging curds remained on the muslin cloth and threw it over my clothesline as I wasn't in the mood to wash it at the time. Several days later, this is exactly what it looked like.

Should have mounted it. Eh, maybe next time.

Call it intertextual or derivative, but your link's to a work that culls from Robert Rauschenburg, Mary Kelly and Eva Hesse among others including Jan Van Eyck when it comes to the subject of art breaching boundaries between worlds within and outside the frame. In any case, it's art. (Anything an artist calls art is art and anyone who calls her/himself an artist is an artist. Art world's as much of a culture unto itself as theoretical physics or molecular gastronomy.)

This weekend: Welsh Gardens (lavendar) will be joining the market. It's Next-Step's (A) week off, so Farm at Sunnyside (B1) and Tree & Leaf (B2) will be back. January through March, A will come every other week and the two B's will be there during the weeks A is absent.

Heads up:

There will be a Chef at Market event this upcoming Sunday, January 30 at 11 AM in support of Heinz Thomet.

Rebecca Perring (with fiancé as sous chef) will be preparing a spicy sweet-potato spread since the farmer has lots of delicious sweet potatoes.

And, yes, to the fairly new DR member, these are indeed the tubers grown long ago by indigenous peoples of what are now called the Americas, but they're now tended lovingly by a hairy Swiss-born guy Tim Carman likens to a Greek god.*

*The medievalist in me prefers the Greenman as an analogy.

Knitters: Solitude Wool will be there.

Organic-Produce Seekers: Next-Step Produce this weekend. Farm @ Sunnyside the first Sunday in February along w Tree & Leaf which is practicing organic farming methods on new land (so not officially proclaimed organic yet since the process takes five years).

They are some ugly-ass bivalves, but for my money Buster's oysters stomp Rappahannock 's every time.

There may be some fresh rockfish there next Sunday, too.

The whole rockfish look amazing, bellies split, ready to be stuffed, oiled and wrapped in foil for the oven--or grill if you've got shelter.

This is the last month of the Winter Market; starting the first weekend in April (April 3), the market will open at 8:30 AM instead of 10 AM and close at 1 PM as is the case now.

Tomorrow both Tree & Leaf and Farm at Sunnyside return. I don't know what the latter has, but the former's farmers have one of the earliest signs of spring: green garlic.

Rain, rain, go away....

Rain was much worse out here in Maryland than it was in DC during the market; it only started to pour afterwards, so things were busier than anticipated.

Next time Farm at Sunnyside comes, if you're also going through a phase of craving raw Tuscan kale salads w garlicky-lemon dressing and pecorino, head there first. If they manage to bring the tiny leaves again on March 20, know that supplies dwindle quickly. None left by the time I got there.

Everyone stay tuned to NPR. Tree & Leaf was interviewed at market today.

Head's Up: Atwater's brought this truly wonderful Irish brown bread to some of its Saturday markets; basically a whole wheat w malt. Worth seeking out if they bring some of these round loaves tomorrow.

Copper Pot has Guinness Stout something or other and straw & hay fettuccine.

And the orchid guy will be there since it should be gorgeous. Next-Step Produce with Heinz (last time he brought erba stella!) and Solitude w yarn and honey.

And remember, turn your clocks ahead before you go to bed tonight, especially if you like to go to the market late!

The piece aired this morning - here's the link.

Cool, huh?

This was the second time that Arthur Ringel of Hank's Oyster Bar served as Chef at Market. He prepared an absolutely delicious salad dressing using WHITE soy sauce the restaurant imports directly from Japan and was great with audience. I only got to taste a forkful of the very simple, basic salad which was so delicious, I just couldn't understand why some people hate beets so much. This one was a bright pink Chioggia, sort of a tulip shade.

Well, perhaps it's all well and good that the forecast is calling for snow on Sunday: a theatrical setting for Sensorium's ringmaster, Bryon Brown who will be serving as Chef at Market from 11 am till noon.

I understand the demo features Waitman's least favorite vegetable again.

Just a reminder - new market hours starting this week. Update from the FreshFarm newsletter:

BIGGEST MARKET EXPANSION...

The Dupont Market opens at 8:30am this Sunday and expands on 20th Street, NW. We'll have volunteers and staff on hand to be sure you find your favorite farmers and producers. We'll be giving out FREE re-usable market bags to the first 20 customers who stop by our Info Table between 8:30-9am. We will also give out some $2 coupons for use only this Sunday at the farm stands set up in our new space on 20th Street--Atwaters, Endless Summer Harvest, Floradise Orchids, Red Apron Butchery, Smith Meadows Farm, Quaker Valley Orchard, Waterview Foods and Compost Cab. We hope this market expansion will relieve market congestion and bring more shoppers to the Dupont market early! See you there!

Let me be the first to say that opening the market at 8:30 and spreading it out to consume an additional dozen much-in-demand parking spaces were ill-considered moves. I say this not only as someone who was sipping a "Last Word" at The Gibson at midnight last night, but as someone who chatted with a couple of farmers whose alarm clocks went off at 3:30 instead of 4AM this morning.

Let me be the first to say that opening the market at 8:30 and spreading it out to consume an additional dozen much-in-demand parking spaces were ill-considered moves. I say this not only as someone who was sipping a "Last Word" at The Gibson at midnight last night, but as someone who chatted with a couple of farmers whose alarm clocks went off at 3:30 instead of 4AM this morning.

I thought it was absolutely great - the expansion of space and the earlier opening. Together, they made the market a much more pleasant experience. Once we're in the thick of the summer it might not make a material difference, I don't know. Re farmer sleepiness, I hope (and maybe naively assume) that the vendors' views on whether to make the time change were given enormous weight in the decisionmaking.

I thought it was absolutely great - the expansion of space and the earlier opening. Together, they made the market a much more pleasant experience. Once we're in the thick of the summer it might not make a material difference, I don't know. Re farmer sleepiness, I hope (and maybe naively assume) that the vendors' views on whether to make the time change were given enormous weight in the decisionmaking.

I really liked it a lot too. I did have a vendor ask me to share my thoughts after a few more weeks. I think the vendors were split over the move.

I loved the change--I got there about 9.30, and (i) lines were short and (ii) I wasn't continually having to avoid getting pushed by other shoppers. Since I go to market either with a stroller or a toddler on my back, this was a much much more relaxed experience for me. There was no screaming and I didn't forget anything. B)

My neighbor, whose schedule is much more like Waitman's and who arrived at 11am, said it wasn't noticeably less busy that usual.

I expect that the first hour or so will be less crowded as the truly compulsive minority (myself included) shows up for the opening bell and the mere early risers continue to roll in between 9 and 9:30. But it wasn't particularly crowded at that time anyway and I suspect that Ana's neighbor's experience -- lines as long as ever mid-shift -- will be the rule going forward. Elbow room is never a bad thing and parking is never a problem for me because I have a series of illegal spots that re never ticketed, but the idea of taking up spaces in that neighborhood is counterintuitive.

The intersection of 20th and Q is an accident waiting to happen.

And I fucking hate hate hate having to show up a half hour earlier on my one morning to sleep in.

Went here for the very first time finally. Got there around 9. Parking was easy. Lots of stuff to choose from but still heavily wintery type veggies. Still, got some asparagus and eggs.

What I find odd is just how un-farmer most of the local farmers markets are locally -- they seem too yuppified to me, and you often seemingly do not get to meet the farmers themselves (or someone involved in some way in their farm) but rather so many aggregators of products of other local farmers. Ah well, it was still a good experience.