Galaxy Hut, Courthouse - American Pub Serving Sandwiches with 28 Taps of Beer

Okay Rockwellians, I have been holding out on you. Yes. Believe it or not. I have found the perfect brunch place for me and it happens to be at a place I consider a dive bar.

The menu is smallish but everything I have had has been extremely well executed and the dish I had today was out of this world.

Today I had a gazpacho unlike any other I have had. Not only are there yummy tomatoes, it has chunks of peaches, cantalope and other fruits with a nice amount of heat thrown in from peppers. A very healthy brunch choice I would add.

Oh you may be wondering with what is this gazpacho served? Well, let me tell you... the most fabulous corn cakes I have ever experienced. The corn cakes are a combination of cornbread and pancakes with crunchy fresh corn in the batter. YUM. The cakes are topped with smoked salmon and chive sour cream. The presentation alone makes the dish special but the taste makes it divine.

I have had both the eggs benedict and eggs florentine which taste amazingly fresh. I know a weird adjective to describe a dish but sometimes egg dishes at restaurants don't taste all that fresh to me. The bacon is really good too. The fruit cup is a real treat because the chef shows a bit of whimsy with it.

The price is right too for brunch as the entrees run $8.00 and the sides are $2.50. Plus they play really good music and if you have kids they have great video games for them to play. Larry the owner really wants this to be a family friendly brunch spot and has invested in high chairs and booster seats. Plus the place is non smoking during brunch.

Oh and the food at night is really quite nice too but I love brunch so this is what I want to write.

Brunch is on Saturday and Sundays from 11-3. YUMMMM...

I like the art on display at Galaxy Hut; it's the guy who does the Crafty Bastard stuff for the Washington City Paper. Next time you're there, check out the painting of the two razors having a dinner conversation and recounting their day. Very funny! That's a great place to get away sometimes ( the perfect dive), to avoid excessive snobbery and the shopping cart madness at Whole Tools.

Definitely one of the best bars in Arlington, with great beers on tap, good music, and food, as mentioned, that's a cut above your normal bar fare. I'd been there about 10 times before I realized they have an outdoor patio (it's more of a narrow alley, really), which is a good place to escape to if the band stinks.

They used to have a bartender that would play bizarre movies. A friend and I once watched "The 5,000 Fingers of Dr. T" here, which is easily one of the strangest films ever made (a 1953 movie about an evil piano teacher, with a screenplay by Dr. Seuss!).

I haven't been in forever. It was always a fav of mine for Friday night Happy Hour but Mr. BLB doesn't like it. I wonder if he remembers why anymore...

I need a Virginia Happy Hour location next month anyway.

Jennifer

Lure him with the fact that the owners are newish... and they have video games. :unsure:

Oh and beer. Lots of beer. Lots and Lots of beer!

'tis all true. I had brunch there this past Saturday with my fiancee; we both had the eggs benedict. These were perfect, to the point where you mopped up the plate with the french fries. I'd hesitate bringing anyone who just wants a plate of starch to fill up on, but if you're looking for something utterly delicious that even manages to be plated artistically please go here.

I also recommend the patio; we got there around 11 and they hadn't cleaned up the cigarettes from last night yet. Since the patio is more or less an alley, you can pretend you're in Paris. With video games.

Today I had a gazpacho unlike any other I have had. Not only are there yummy tomatoes, it has chunks of peaches, cantalope and other fruits with a nice amount of heat thrown in from peppers. A very healthy brunch choice I would add.

Oh you may be wondering with what is this gazpacho served? Well, let me tell you... the most fabulous corn cakes I have ever experienced. The corn cakes are a combination of cornbread and pancakes with crunchy fresh corn in the batter. YUM. The cakes are topped with smoked salmon and chive sour cream. The presentation alone makes the dish special but the taste makes it divine.

Thanks for the tip! I had the gazpacho, and loved it. And kudos to them for not sticking to a tired bar-food format, but actually branching out with some interesting and creative options.

Here's hoping it catches on, because they are doing a terrific job.

The bar is open this weekend but no brunch or dinners will be served according to their myspace bulletin. (August 11-13)

Very sad. I was looking forward to Sunday, but I have learned to check before showing up. Great place though.

The smoking ban has really made this place enjoyable. We were there for a couple of beers last night and could actually smell the beer. It's turning into one our favorites, after a decade of mostly passing it by due to the smokiness.

Had a few beers and tater tots here tonight. This place has a great beer selection...probably 20 taps, all sorts of microbrews. 20 bottles or so too...Troegs, Bells, Founders, a bunch of other stuff I hadn't tried before. Quiet at 5:30, all seats filled by 6:30. Music leans toward indy rock. Tater tots were fried well and a very enjoyable snack with the beers. A dive bar worth a second visit.

Had a few beers and tater tots here tonight. This place has a great beer selection...probably 20 taps, all sorts of microbrews. 20 bottles or so too...Troegs, Bells, Founders, a bunch of other stuff I hadn't tried before. Tater tots were fried well and a very enjoyable snack with the beers. A dive bar worth a second visit.

Pear cider on tap, great fried things, being able to carry on a conversation even when the place is full...don't really need anything else.

As an update to the thread title and the discussion about the new Galaxy Hut location in Falls Church, the new location Space Bar opened. Space Bar thread is here:

http://www.donrockwell.com/index.php?/topic/17555-spacebar-falls-church-in-the-old-stacys-coffee-parlor-space-now-open/

Galaxy Hut switched to a vegetarian and vegan menu (meat available on request).

I was there last night, and we remarked at what a diverse crowd it had (old, young, varying styles, etc).