Blue & White Carry Out, Little Dive Place on Route 1 and Wythe Street in Alexandria

A&J - old standby - Feels like old friend

Commonwealth - Are they still doing? I know prices up portion down - but yumm

Popeyes - if desperate (but I like the flavor at the Rockville Pike one only)

RTC - Are they still doing in bar? - edited for - based on thread above that is a no (knew I hadn't had it in a long while)

Others - Anyone else Please add in...

Have it in my brain that I have to have Fried Chicken this weekend.

I'm still going with Blue & White Carryout on the corner of Wythe and Rte. 1 in Alexandria. They close at 3:30 in the afternoon but if you can get there before then during the week, you will be richly rewarded for a pittance.

Really? then let me pile on: the skin is the best! It's thin and crispy and really not that greasy. You have your choice of S&P and hot sauce (I don't get the hot sauce, just S&P) and either a breast or drumstick/thigh piece. If you order it in a sandwich, you get it served (bone and all) between two slices of squishy white bread which does a nice job of blotting up any extra oil. The meat is so juicy and flavorful, I know they must soak it something beforehand. Whenever I drive past the Blue and White, I actually roll my windows down because the smell wafting out from that place is so good. I love their addition of little sweet potato tarts. Sized small so you don't have to share. :D the only misgiving is that it can be a little inconsistent. 8 out of ten times the chicken is amazing but sometimes I get a bum piece. The quality is still good, it's just not the best chicken you've ever put in your mouth. Mostly though, the chicken is awesome. Now I want some!

Back in the day, they used to be open on Saturdays. When hungover, we used to go and get egg sandwiches in the morning, which were served on the same slices of white bread that they serve their fried chicken "sandwich" (toasted, of course). Nothing out of this world, but cheap, egg-bacony goodness. They also have fried bologna as a meat selection on the breakfast sandwiches.

The fried chicken with hot sauce is delish.

That brings back memories. I used to work in Old Town and we went to Blue and White all the time. They used to serve a fried pork chop sandwich--just like the chicken, bone and all--between two pieces of white sandwich bread. Do they still have it? Also, seriously hammered but really delicious sides of kale and green beans.

I haven't been (and really have no excuse since I live just a few blocks away) but have heard that their beans are very good. Not sure if they do a bean soup, or just different kinds of beans - either way they've got a good rep. Guess it's time to get over there and find out.

They used to serve a fried pork chop sandwich--just like the chicken, bone and all--between two pieces of white sandwich bread.

Ooh! Must go try that - my siblings and I used to eat that growing up! (Except the pork chop was marinated in soy sauce et al.)

I've been wondering about this place for ages, so am happy to finally see something on it!
what else do they have besides chicken and sweet potato tarts? cakes, or sandwiches?

Hamburger Steak Dinner with Mashed Potatoes and Green Beans, 2 slices of wonder bread is my go to.
The Fried Chicken Sandwich is also delicious.

I've been wondering about this place for ages, so am happy to finally see something on it!
what else do they have besides chicken and sweet potato tarts? cakes, or sandwiches?

The +1 and I made it in on Friday afternoon for a late lunch/snack. Our timing was spot-on, as a fresh batch of fried chicken was in the fryer and was worth the 14 minute wait (at least that's how long they told us it would be). A darn good value in my book - $5 gets you a large bone-in breast and two sides (green beans, mashed potatoes, greens, sweet potatoes and a few others), along with a couple slices of bread. The coating was crispy and had a nice flavor - I opted for the salt and pepper and hot sauce and was very happy with the extra zip it added. The greens were good, green beans were soft as expected (like the ones from the school cafeteria used to be), and we wound up with some mash and gravy too - probably from a box, but tasty enough.

We also got a cup of beans - pinto were on the menu that day, but the rotating selection includes great northern, black, and lima (on Tuesdays I think). They were soupy and nicely tender - and served with the option of hot sauce and/or chopped onions.

Beyond the fried chicken, fried pork chop, and hamburger steak mentioned above, you can order meatloaf, croaker, and liver (which may also be a once a week special). All items can be ordered as a sandwich or a platter.

In the interest of...'research', later the same day we ordered the fried chicken (boneless breast, no sides) at Ooohs and Aaahs. It was also good, but for $10 (again, NO sides, just the breast), I know where I'd rather spend my money. Too bad Blue & White isn't open for dinner or on the weekend!

The information about Blue & White in the "Oldest Restaurants" thread may be a little off - we were told the location has been there about 80 years, with various owners, the latest ones having run the place for about 40 years.

The information about Blue & White in the "Oldest Restaurants" thread may be a little off - we were told the location has been there about 80 years, with various owners, the latest ones having run the place for about 40 years.

Please don't tell people about Blue & White. It's an Alexandria secret and let's keep it that way. Let those other people go where ever it is they want to spend too much money...don't let them ruin B&W like they ruined Flavors.

Please don't tell people about Blue & White. It's an Alexandria secret and let's keep it that way. Let those other people go where ever it is they want to spend too much money...don't let them ruin B&W like they ruined Flavors.

Um, ok. blink.gif How exactly did they ruin Flavors?

Too bad they are not open for dinner otherwise it would be a fun place for a $20 Tuesday...

Blue and White is near the top of the list of places I frequent on random non-holiday weekday off. I don't know of a fried chicken meal I enjoy more. My go to is a dark meat chicken sandwich and great northern bean soup. Hot sauce, S&P on the chicken; the same plus onions in the bean soup. Grabbing my food and heading down to the water on a nice day makes for a fine lunch. As others have said, it's a steal. I don't know if I have ever spent more than five dollars. It's also one of those places every town should have more of. In a restaurant scene flooded with fried chicken, others can easily cost more in money and hassle without approaching the legitimacy. To be fair, I've had the odd greasy piece or a too strongly salted bean soup, but over the years, these have been the exceptions. This is not fine dining obviously, but very solid if you are in the area.

• Like 2

I was going to post this on the Blue and White Carryout thread, but this popped up first.

[This fine post deserves nothing more than to be in the Blue and White thread. Cheers, Rocks]

First of all, Blue and White is a scary looking old shack which is easy to dismiss and drive by. Don't! Find a parking place on the street and walk back and get in line.

The line moves fast and you place your order through a small window like a liquor store in the 'hood.

Their food is old time inexpensive soul food. Yelpster's bitch and complain that the chicken breast sandwich they ordered is ON THE BONE.Yes, that is how chickens grow. - On a side note, does anyone remember the B. Kliban cartoon of "The Boneless Chicken Ranch"? - If you order a leg, you get a leg and thigh quarter of a chicken, a breast brings you a whole split breast with the whole wing.

The chicken is available on its own or as a dinner. On its own includes 2 slices of squishy cheap white bread. Ask them to skip the bread but please have the salt, pepper and hot sauce they will ask you about. The dinner includes 2 sides; green beans (canned), collards (frozen), corn (canned), mashed potatoes (instant) with gravy, and something else I can't remember. The leg dinner is now $5.00 and the breast is $5.50. Nobody beats the quality for the price.

The staff is friendly and gracious. Throw them an extra buck or 2 as a tip. They work hard as hell in a very small space and keep it together really well. They are open from 5:30 till 2:30, but the whole menu is available anytime. The breakfast sandwiches are cheap, filling and good.

My standard order is fried chicken, no bread, with s&p and hot sauce with a cup (12oz bowl) of the day. All of the beans have some form of pork in them. Last Fridays had chunks of fatback.Ask for onions and hot sauce with the soup.

Back to the fried chicken, It's the best I've had in the area. I'm sure someone does it better, but not at the great value Blue and White does.I would write it up for Roadfood, but I don't want it to get any busier.

• Like 1