Need a HEALTHY lunch spot in DC

Al Dente

Hi All-- a group of co-workers and I might have the opportunity to take John Mackey (Whole Foods Market CEO) to lunch in a couple of weeks.

Where could we take him that would be chockful of vegetarian/vegan options and high on the list of locavorian organic joints?

Ideally this would be close to American University, but anywhere in NW would be kosher.

Thanks!

Hi All-- a group of co-workers and I might have the opportunity to take John Mackey (Whole Foods Market CEO) to lunch in a couple of weeks.

Where could we take him that would be chockful of vegetarian/vegan options and high on the list of locavorian organic joints?

Ideally this would be close to American University, but anywhere in NW would be kosher.

Thanks!

The Balducci's next to Ace Bev on NM Ave. :D

When I did a search on VegDC.com, Simply Ayzen came up that may fit the bill. Maybe Amma's in Georgetown? The other 3 places that come to mind are in Dupont/downtown area: Bread & Brew, Java Green & Science Club (iirc).

Honestly, I would make the drive to Rockville and get some Chinese homestyle-mock-cooking at Yuan Fu* on the Pike. I'm interested in knowing where you ended up going though....

ETA: *Not organic, but a great vegetarian place, imho.

I'd choose any one of the restaurants whose chefs I see at market all the time.

For what it's worth, Barton Seaver (Blue Ridge above) buys groceries at Whole Foods. Given his major role in sustainable seafood issues, he personifies many of said CEO's virtues.

To augment the plug for Nora: she's one of the forces behind the beginnings of the non-profit that runs the farmers market near her flagship restaurant; much of her produce is grown by vegan Heinz Thomet of Next-Step Produce.

R.J. Cooper of Vidalia may be the Prince of Pig (Cochon 555), but he's also a big local food-freak and it looks as if there are a number of good vegetarian options.

Of course, any of our local biggies would entertain the idea of graciously doing something special for your semi, even if they harbor Tony Bourdain's feelings about ascetic, self-imposed dietary restrictions.

Rob Weland of Poste. THINKFOOD Group establishments.

Perhaps less than obvious choices:

Once tapped by Julia Child for a big birthday party, Ris Lacoste is doing special events during these months before her new restaurant opens.

A cool, unusual alternative would be to contact someone who doesn't get as much attention as she should:

Najmieh Batmaglij. See this great book: Silk Road.... She's arguably the best authority on Persian food who publishes cookbooks in English. Not sure she caters, but would be interesting to find out.

For that matter, there is also Monica Bhide.

I'll probably wear my business casual attire, which at WFM means jeans, nice sandals, and short sleave micro-fibery REI kinda shirt.

I usually wear shorts and a t-shirt this time of year and walk around the office barefoot.

BlackSalt fits the bill and is 5-7 minutes from AU. Danny uses beautiful veggies and the fish counter in front puts Whole Foods to shame in quality and freshness.