Lavender Flowers

Choirgirl21

Anyone have any ideas on where I can get them on short notice? Whole Foods only had one sachet or dried stuff that I wasn't certain would be okay for culinary use although I probably should have bought it anyway. I'm in Laurel, MD and would prefer a source that's close by. I need them tomorrow, or preferably today. I know, really short notice. Thanks.

Anyone have any ideas on where I can get them on short notice? Whole Foods only had one sachet or dried stuff that I wasn't certain would be okay for culinary use although I probably should have bought it anyway. I'm in Laurel, MD and would prefer a source that's close by. I need them tomorrow, or preferably today. I know, really short notice. Thanks.

This may not be all that convenient for you, but I do know that Penzeys in Rockville sells lavender for culinary use.

So here's a question: does this look like lavender?

IMAG0100.jpg

IMAG0095.jpg

IMAG0098.jpg

I know the common variety of lavender has leaves that look more like rosemary, not sure if this is a different variety, or maybe something like salvia? Any gardeners out there who can confirm or deny?

So here's a question: does this look like lavender?

I know the common variety of lavender has leaves that look more like rosemary, not sure if this is a different variety, or maybe something like salvia? Any gardeners out there who can confirm or deny?

This is why I really, really want the developers of this app to be really, really successful:

Leaf Snap

Imagine identifying any tree or plant in the USA by taking a picture of the leaf...a Shazam for the photosynthetic world...

(but alas)

(i don't know much about lavender)

(and am hoping someone chimes in)

If you are desperate and can make a trip in to DC, I have a huge amount of dried lavender flowers that I got from Surfas in Los Angeles and I'll be glad to give you some. I have way more than I need.

PM me with your phone # and I'll call you.

Thank you, you're very kind to offer. Alas, I don't think I'm making it into DC tomorrow.

Thanks to everyone else for hte replies so far as well.

This is for a cocktail I'm making (Gina's Gnome's Water from PS 7's) and the lavender is used to infuse the simple syrup - I'm sure every flavor should be there to balance the drink, but I think in the end I may not lose sleep if the simple syrup just doesn't get infused. If I get inspired or suddenly find myself with spare time (never happens when I'm cooking for dinner club) I'll head over to Penzey's. I've never been there and would enjoy checking it out I'm sure.

The worst part of this - I was at Riverdale yesterday and bought cat grass from the huge plant vendor, but never thought to look for lavender. I would bet money she had it. :mellow:

That looks like Perovskia atriplicifolia, aka Russian sage (not for culinary use). I'd need a much clearer picture of an individual flower to be sure. How tall is it? Are the stems somewhat furry and a little tacky or sticky? Does it have an oddly sweet scent?

eta: oops, just read through more carefully. How did you ID it?

Since you are in Laurel, Smile Herb in College Park is not too far. They sell organic and food grade items for natural health, aromatherapy and soap making.

Thanks, CP is actually not too far for me.

Have you tried Roots Market?

No, but this and the above post made me think of MOM's, also in CP or there's one in north Laurel. I wonder if they might have them. Think I will give them a call.

That looks like Perovskia atriplicifolia, aka Russian sage (not for culinary use). I'd need a much clearer picture of an individual flower to be sure. How tall is it? Are the stems somewhat furry and a little tacky or sticky? Does it have an oddly sweet scent?

eta: oops, just read through more carefully. How did you ID it?

Some gardening friends were able to ID it.

The funny thing is I kept thinking it smelled like rosemary until people posted that and then I knew immediately what I had been smelling was sage. Well "funny" as in annoying because I'd like to think I could identify sage and not confuse it with rosemary, especially since it's one of my favorite herbs to cook with. :mellow:

So you want to hear something awesome? Made that special trip to the store yesterday despite being pressed for time, got the lavender and made the syrup for the drink. Make the drinks and as we're drinking them, I keep saying I don't think it's quite sweet enough and pouring more syrup in, but something is tasting a bit acidic or bitter. Move ahead about 2 hours and we get to our 4th course, the braised pork with the side of chard with pickled jalapenos. I go into the fridge for the "juice" from the pickled jalapenos and realize that is what I was using to make the drinks, not the syrup, which is still in the fridge. :mellow: They were both in identical mason jars and because of the lavender the simple syrup had a brownish tinge, while the vinegar looked more like the normal color of simple syrup.

The best part is my friends liked the drink. Maybe I should let Gina know I've improved upon her work. :unsure:

Anyone need some lavender simple syrup? :blink:

So you want to hear something awesome? Made that special trip to the store yesterday despite being pressed for time, got the lavender and made the syrup for the drink. Make the drinks and as we're drinking them, I keep saying I don't think it's quite sweet enough and pouring more syrup in, but something is tasting a bit acidic or bitter. Move ahead about 2 hours and we get to our 4th course, the braised pork with the side of chard with pickled jalapenos. I go into the fridge for the "juice" from the pickled jalapenos and realize that is what I was using to make the drinks, not the syrup, which is still in the fridge. :mellow: They were both in identical mason jars and because of the lavender the simple syrup had a brownish tinge, while the vinegar looked more like the normal color of simple syrup.

The best part is my friends liked the drink. Maybe I should let Gina know I've improved upon her work. :unsure:

Anyone need some lavender simple syrup? :blink:

OMG that is really funny. You may be on to something. The lavender syrup might be nice in some iced green tea.

P.S. If you have leftover lavender flowers, I recently started making a new dip for my crudite platters. I use sour cream as a base and mix in yogurt, chopped chives, tarragon and lavender flowers. (Season well with salt and pepper) Everyone who has tried it has liked the dip. Make sure you chop up the lavender flowers well so you don't get chunks in the dip. That makes it taste a little like hand lotion.

OMG that is really funny. You may be on to something. The lavender syrup might be nice in some iced green tea.

P.S. If you have leftover lavender flowers, I recently started making a new dip for my crudite platters. I use sour cream as a base and mix in yogurt, chopped chives, tarragon and lavender flowers. (Season well with salt and pepper) Everyone who has tried it has liked the dip. Make sure you chop up the lavender flowers well so you don't get chunks in the dip. That makes it taste a little like hand lotion.

Cool, thanks. I have leftover sour cream and chives as well so I may try making this soon.

The syrup in the tea is a great idea too. I'm hoping I get more cucumbers in my CSA this week so I can at least make myself one proper version of the drink while I still have the rest of the ingredients too.

The best part is my friends liked the drink. Maybe I should let Gina know I've improved upon her work. :blink:

Anyone need some lavender simple syrup? ;)

I went and looked up the description of the drink. It does sound like jalapeno juice would be good with Hendricks and cucumber water. :unsure: I don't care too much for the taste of lavender in food/drinks. We once had some in a garden we inherited. Maybe I just used it in the wrong things...

At a restaurant I once had a salad of young field greens with a lavender vinaigrette. It was an excellent combination, possibly because they used the lavender sparingly. It was noticeable, but just barely. Bet you could also make a sweet dressing with your simple syrup for fruit salads or desserts.