Tom Sietsema's Fall Dining Guide

mtureck

The Post just published Tom's Fall Dining Guide...this time the theme was simply his "favorite restaurants".

http://www.washingtonpost.com/gog/best-bets/dining-guide/2012-fall-dining-guide,105051.html?sortOption=star#show-list

On first glance, I'm happy to see C.F. Folks (best lunch value in town) and Chez Francois (which I like far better than many folks here).

Time to start reading the rest...

Comparing this list and last year's is not fair, especially to use "dropped". Last fall was "places I'd like to be a regular". This year it's "favorite restaurants". It's not hard to imagine how you could like a restaurant for one list but not the other, without specifically identifying a drop in quality.

Comparing this list and last year's is not fair, especially to use "dropped". Last fall was "places I'd like to be a regular". This year it's "favorite restaurants". It's not hard to imagine how you could like a restaurant for one list but not the other, without specifically identifying a drop in quality.

Except he notes in his introduction that he was shocked at how far some candidates had slid, which at least raises some questions about the omissions. I know that the last time I visited one of my favorite restaurants in the area, which used to stand as a big Sietsema favorite, it seemed like leftovers night for one of the best consommes you could find anywhere.

New restaurants always seem to invite initial enthusiasm on his lists. I would be surprised to see some of these around next October. There's nothing terrible about Chez Billy, for instance, but I don't know why you would favor it over Adour, where one great (or really good) meal costs no more than twice what you would pay for every OK meal in Petworth.

I don't really get what is so great about the Jose Andres mini-empire; the renovated Jaleo is a bit too busy for me, as are its souped-up food and bar menus.

And as for his favorite restaurant empire, which belongs to Ashok Bajaj, you have to wonder whether Bombay Club has now emerged as a more inviting dining room than Bibiana. I can't answer the question because I have not kept up with either.

As usual, despite the personal flukes and even if it isn't entirely comprehensive, I find the Fall Dining Guide an inspiration to get out and try some new things. And I believe that is its purpose -- to rev up interest in the area's dining scene.

This year's guide inspires me to revisit some places that I haven't been for quite some time including Zaytinya, Blue Duck Tavern, and Oval Room. I think it's time to try Bombay Club- I've never been- always favoring Rasika and now Rasika West End. And I'm particularly interested in trying Lacomelza Ethio Cafe - since it's close to home. My restaurant wish list was starting to dwindle down. I feel better now that it has been refreshed.

This year's guide inspires me to revisit some places that I haven't been for quite some time including Zaytinya, Blue Duck Tavern, and Oval Room. I think it's time to try Bombay Club- I've never been- always favoring Rasika and now Rasika West End. And I'm particularly interested in trying Lacomelza Ethio Cafe - since it's close to home. My restaurant wish list was starting to dwindle down. I feel better now that it has been refreshed.

'I spent my life trying wines from around the world, searching for the very greatest wines. After years of trying the most famous Bordeaux, Burgundies, Cote-Roties, Chateauneuf-du-Papes, Hermitages, Barolos, Barbarescos, Riojas, Alsatian Whites, Ribera del Dueros, Sauternes, Ports, and Madeiras, I finally woke up one day and realized there's nothing better than what's being produced right down the street from me.'

-- Peter Ruhrberg, Mosel, Germany

While I generally appreciate Mr. Sietsema's work on these semi-annual lists, I don't agree with them all the time. Gamasot is the only Korean restaurant in our area worth mentioning? C'mon, Tom. Red Truck Bakery in Warrenton is better than Claire's at the Depot or Black Bear Bistro, or even Mojitos y Tapas...? Not hardly. No mention of Ashbury Inn, or Palena, or even Minh's? Thankfully, I don't use his guides to satisfy my palate....