Shepherd's Pie

This is a dish that I've always wanted to love, and naively order thinking I'm going to love it; only to find it ridden with thick, brown, gravy, lousy meat, and crummy potatoes.

Ah, but I had the version today at Backyard Barbecue which I think they sometimes offer on Thursday nights (but I'm not sure). It's great! It weighs about five pounds, and is served in what looks to be an 8-inch tin, baked and served in the same vessel.

This may be the first good Shepherd's Pie I've ever eaten. And it's too bad, because this dish should be *money* good, every single time (but isn't).

I don't order Shepherd's Pie in the US because it's almost always made with peas (and sometimes corn) - which is just wrong. The best versions I've had have been from moms' kitchens in England. And from this delicious prepared food market/restaurant in London -- http://www.villandry.com/locations/great_portland_street/takeaway_cakecounter/.

Since we tend to use ground beef and not lamb here, it's actually Cottage Pie that's prepared at a lot of pubs and restaurants. Yes, I'm kind of snobby when it comes to casual British food.

I don't order Shepherd's Pie in the US because it's almost always made with peas (and sometimes corn) - which is just wrong.

Since we tend to use ground beef and not lamb here, it's actually Cottage Pie that's prepared at a lot of pubs and restaurants. Yes, I'm kind of snobby when it comes to casual British food.

Backyard Barbecue's was loaded with peas.

I don't order Shepherd's Pie in the US because it's almost always made with peas (and sometimes corn) - which is just wrong. The best versions I've had have been from moms' kitchens in England. And from this delicious prepared food market/restaurant in London -- http://www.villandry.com/locations/great_portland_street/takeaway_cakecounter/.

Oh, I love peas in the pie! Samuel Beckett's is made with lamb.

Say no to the peas! My mom sometimes grates cheese on top and sticks the Shepherd's Pie back under the broiler until it all melts. But that's primariy at my Dad's urging!

I don't understand why there's such a vigorous anti-pea movement - I thought they went wonderfully in my shepherd's pie last night (made with ground beef, not lamb). Mushy Peas is a classic Irish dish, and I suspect the two are often served together, no?

Anne-Marie is Irish (or at least has Irish parents), so she's got some authenticity coursing through her veins. Maybe she'll chime in here.

I don't understand why there's such a vigorous anti-pea movement - I thought they went wonderfully in my shepherd's pie last night (made with ground beef, not lamb). Mushy Peas is a classic Irish dish, and I suspect the two are often served together, no?

Anne-Marie is Irish (or at least has Irish parents), so she's got some authenticity coursing through her veins. Maybe she'll chime in here.

I'm not anti-pea, really. I don't often like them in or near dishes - but I appreciate them as a seasonal veggie. One thing that's kind of interesting is that because of America's Irishness - and the popularity of Irish bars here - a lot of British food is assumed to be Irish. Mushy peas are about as English as queue minding and stiff upper lips. Fish and chips, often served with a side of mushy peas, are more English than Irish - but like many dishes made their way over to Ireland. Pretty sure that cottage and shepherds pies orginated in Britain before showing up in Ireland. A lot of traditional Irish food didn't really travel with the diaspora and make it to the table of our current Irish-American pubs. Things like champ, boxties, colcannon, coddle, etc. Though you can find those dishes at some American bars and restaurants. Irish bacon and cabbage still persists, or course -- with help from our Jewish friends and the delicious corned beef brisket which they lended to the Irish in NYC when rasher bacon was not available.

P.S. * note to fire departments * Also not Irish... bagpipes :D What were we talking about again?

" Traditional" Shepherd's Pie is made with lamb but growing up in Ireland my mother wouldn't waste good lamb putting it in shepherd's pie !! We had it once a week for dinner and peas were a must . In fact we had peas with our dinner almost every day. Maybe that was just a Dublin thing. Key element for me is the potatoes . Use golden potatoes, real butter and whole milk - yes I did say I was Irish - no messing around with the spuds.

Best Shepherd's Pie I have had ( besides our own ) is hands down at Samuel Beckett's in Shirlington. Walk in there and you could be walking in to a pub off Grafton Street. Food is great and the staff are the real deal.

I'm making Shepherd's Pie for dinner tonight. I bought some ground lamb this afternoon. The mashed potatoes are ones I made recently and froze. According to my Fannie Farmer Cookbook, there are no peas or non-allium vegetables in this, but I think I'll add some, since we need vegetables in the meal. Serving them alongside doesn't seem to make much sense with this kind of casserole, where things are going to mix on the plate.

Keeping this somewhat on topic, I don't think I've ever ordered this (or the ground beef version) in a restaurant.

I'm making Shepherd's Pie for dinner tonight. I bought some ground lamb this afternoon. The mashed potatoes are ones I made recently and froze. According to my Fannie Farmer Cookbook, there are no peas or non-allium vegetables in this, but I think I'll add some, since we need vegetables in the meal. Serving them alongside doesn't seem to make much sense with this kind of casserole, where things are going to mix on the plate.

Keeping this somewhat on topic, I don't think I've ever ordered this (or the ground beef version) in a restaurant.

Aren't mashed potatoes a vegetable? :P

This is a dish that I've always wanted to love, and naively order thinking I'm going to love it; only to find it ridden with thick, brown, gravy, lousy meat, and crummy potatoes.

Ah, but I had the version today at Backyard Barbecue which I think they sometimes offer on Thursday nights (but I'm not sure). It's great! It weighs about five pounds, and is served in what looks to be an 8-inch tin, baked and served in the same vessel.

This may be the first good Shepherd's Pie I've ever eaten. And it's too bad, because this dish should be *money* good, every single time (but isn't).

Anne-Marie made me two Shepherd's Pies yesterday because Matt was having his wisdom teeth removed today, and she and Michael saved them for me until today.

I'm having half of one right now, and it's just as good as it was before. This is *great* Shepherd's Pie, and I'm pretty sure it's the only good Shepherd's Pie I've ever eaten.

Yes, it would be better still with ground lamb instead of ground beef, *but* that is the only thing that could possibly make this any better.

I don't know about Backyard Barbecue's business model, but I can tell you one thing: they are to Shepherd's Pie what Mockingbird Hill is to Sherry, what Pupatella is to pizza crust, what Sushi Taro is to sashimi, what Pure Pasty Co. is to the Pasty - Backyard Barbecue's Shepherd's Pie is so far-and-away better than anyone else's is, that there's simply nothing to compare it to.

The problem is: it's not on their regular menu, and I have to ask: WHY? This is the one thing here that's Best In Class, at any price. Yet, it's a rare and fleeting occasion when it becomes available. It is legitimately great. Anne-Marie, could you chime in, and answer why it is you don't make 50 of these a week, and sell them for $20 each? Granted, that would be a bit pricey, but knowing how good they are, *I* would pay $20 for one. Others wouldn't, and to sell to the masses, you might have to price them at $14.99.

Would you consider it? If you want lines out your door, you'll specialize in this one item. The day you do, is the day you get a LOT of publicity from me.

• Like 1

I made it for family meal one time. Ground meat, tomato sauce, and topped with mashed potatoes. I put it all in a hotel pan, covered it with cheese and threw it in the oven. I took it out before service and it looked (in the politest possible terms) like a giant opening orifice. The mashed potato had turned pink from the tomato sauce and for some reason the middle had volcanoed from the bottom up. Unfortunately, It was in the days before cell phone pictures. Haven't tried since.

• Like 1

I made it for family meal one time. Ground meat, tomato sauce, and topped with mashed potatoes. I put it all in a hotel pan, covered it with cheese and threw it in the oven. I took it out before service and it looked (in the politest possible terms) like a giant opening orifice. The mashed potato had turned pink from the tomato sauce and for some reason the middle had volcanoed from the bottom up. Unfortunately, It was in the days before cell phone pictures. Haven't tried since.

that is so funny.   It just went from appetizing to unappetizing all in the flash of a single post!!!   (note to self--don't add tomato sauce)  :D

The best Shepards pie I've ever had was at Berkeley springs in West Virginia. Braised lamb shoulder, shiitake mushroom gravy and tasty whipped potatoes. I believe there may have been some gruyere involved. We ate in the downstairs lounge. It's also very nice out that way.

Where in Berkeley Springs? There's a whole row of shops and restaurants there, mostly pretty bad ones.

Family Wash in Nashville still makes the best one I've ever tasted - I would kill for that recipe.  There are so many ways to screw it up (filling to topping ratio, meat to veg ratio, seasoning, meat grind) and it's way too easy to default into casserole mode on it.

But when someone cracks the code...

One time at Family Wash they accidentally gave me a vegetarian (made with lentils).  The manager came over and sheepishly explained the mixup and told me a replacement was on the way.  It was so good I refused an exchange.  That's how good a good shepherd's pie can be when someone figures it out.  People will get feral over it.

• Like 1

Family Wash in Nashville still makes the best one I've ever tasted - I would kill for that recipe.  There are so many ways to screw it up (filling to topping ratio, meat to veg ratio, seasoning, meat grind) and it's way too easy to default into casserole mode on it.

But when someone cracks the code...

One time at Family Wash they accidentally gave me a vegetarian (made with lentils).  The manager came over and sheepishly explained the mixup and told me a replacement was on the way.  It was so good I refused an exchange.  That's how good a good shepherd's pie can be when someone figures it out.  People will get feral over it.

On a cold wet dreary Sunday which began with more depressing #snyderskin news I made my first Shepherd's pie.  I do enjoy stick to your ribs comfort foods on these kinds of days and shepherd's pie hits the spot....though undoubtedly an aromatic soup would have filled the air better during still another #snyderskin debacle.

Great dish for cold wet weather.  I'm going to work on it over this winter.

...and it was acceptable but clearly not great with ad hoc ingredients.  there's a lot of room for improvement.