Help Needed: Georgetown and Lower Manhattan

Waitman

Looking for a decent mid-priced joint in G'town/Northern VA that has outdoor seating.

Also looking for a very good Mid-priced (by NYC standards) restaurant, preferably around the Village. I suggested Lupo, but I know there are more. Also, if my friend just decides to find herself meandering, do we have a block or two to guide her to, as being es[ecially thick with undiscovered gems?

There's this awesome restaurant in Washington Harbor where people can dock their boats. IIRC, it's called Sequoia. It doubles as a meat market. Right next door is the highly regarded Tony and Joe's, where they specialize in expensive but ice cold beer.

In the Village, there's Babbo. Minetta Tavern, Annisa, Fatty Cue, and Blue Ribbon.

In Georgetown, Cafe La Ruche.

I've spent many an hour in La Ruche -- a go to joint when the kids were small enough that an afternoon in Georgetown was a big deal. Good call.

However, Georgetown has been taken out of my hands -- it's Filomena, for better or worse.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions (though, Eric, Tony & Joes? Really?) and I will pass the NYC thoughts onto my friend.

Did it seem like a serious recommendation? The Village recs are legit though.

I was pretty sure that they they were tongue in cheek, but wondered if you'd seen something there that I hadn't. The use of the word "awsome" should have tipped me off. Plus, with Don apparently seriously recommending Farmers, Fishers, Bakers I was a little off my game.

The Village recs I did recognize ads real.

I was pretty sure that they they were tongue in cheek, but wondered if you'd seen something there that I hadn't. The use of the word "awsome" should have tipped me off. Plus, with Don apparently seriously recommending Farmers, Fishers, Bakers I was a little off my game.

The Village recs I did recognize ads real.

Actually, I haven't been since shortly after it was renamed Farmers and Fishers (*not* Farmers, Fishers, Bakers), but the last time I ate there, I ate outdoors, and it really wasn't bad. Granted, I think I had meat loaf and mashed potatoes, but I remember their whiskeys as being surprisingly decent (maybe a holdover from Derek Brown's darkest hour). :lol:

Actually, I haven't been since shortly after it was renamed Farmers and Fishers (*not* Farmers, Fishers, Bakers), but the last time I ate there, I ate outdoors, and it really wasn't bad. Granted, I think I had meat loaf and mashed potatoes, but I remember their whiskeys as being surprisingly decent (maybe a holdover from Derek Brown's darkest hour). :lol:

I detest Founding Farmers and distrust all Washington Harbor restaurants, so figured an FF sibling located in Washington Harbor would be pretty awful. I don;t mind drinking outside down there, though.

Of course, I ended up at Filomena, so my dinner could hardly have been any worse. (My friends LOVED Filomena. I still love them, but....).

Many, many years ago (like, 20), there was a pretty good (albeit somewhat expensive) Japanese restaurant at Washington Harbor. And you know what? Bangkok Joe's is not *that* bad <ducking, avoiding flying tomatoes> if you order the right things (dumplings, if I recall).

If you're a tourist, sipping ice-cold piss in a plastic cup at Sequoia isn't such a bad thing. I suspect they have the highest alcohol sales in DC - an initial winger is between 5-10 million in alcohol alone (and I guarantee they get fantastic subsidies from the breweries), but I could be wildly off with that.

If you're a tourist, sipping ice-cold piss in a plastic cup at Sequoia isn't such a bad thing. I suspect they have the highest alcohol sales in DC - an initial winger is between 5-10 million in alcohol alone (and I guarantee they get fantastic subsidies from the breweries), but I could be wildly off with that.

Sequoia is owned by Ark Restuarant Corp., which is a public company. Per their 10-K for their fiscal year 2012, in addition to Sequoia, they own two other restaurants in DC - Center Cafe and Thunder Grill, both in Union Station. I could be reading this wrong, but it appears that same store food and bevearge sales for the 3 DC properties combined were $16,506,000 for fiscal year 2012.