Salade Nií§oise

A friend of mine just asked me where to find a good Nicoise Salad, and I'm registering a blank. The last one I had in a restaurant may have been at Marvin (which still offers it), several years ago - does anyone know who has them now? Either canned or fresh tuna is fine (although the fancy-dancy fresh kind is preferred) - I'm just trying to present her with multiple options.

For the Luddite purists, traditional salade nií§oise does not include haricots verts or cooked potatoes, or any cooked vegetables for that matter. Nice is not in a particularly fertile area and gets little rain.   It is an austere pauper dish comprised of a few raw vegetables: tomatoes (lightly salted), scallions, Cailletier variety olives with the pits (Nií§oise), basil,  then salt-cured anchovy filets in olive oil, a hard boiled egg, the lot dressed with olive oil on a plate rubbed with garlic.  When in season it gets sliced raw purple artichokes, bell peppers and tiny fava beans. Up until the 19th century tuna was rarely used; too expensive and saved only for the good times.  Escoffier had the audacious idea to gussy it up with green beans and potatoes.  He was born in Villeneuve-Loubet, on the other side of the Loup river and got his knuckles rapped for not being a legitimate Nií§ois.

• Like 2

For the Luddite purists, traditional salade nií§oise does not include haricots verts or cooked potatoes, or any cooked vegetables for that matter. Nice is not in a particularly fertile area and gets little rain.   It is an austere pauper dish comprised of a few raw vegetables: tomatoes (lightly salted), scallions, Cailletier variety olives with the pits (Nií§oise), basil,  then salt-cured anchovy filets in olive oil, a hard boiled egg, the lot dressed with olive oil on a plate rubbed with garlic.  When in season it gets sliced raw purple artichokes, bell peppers and tiny fava beans. Up until the 19th century tuna was rarely used; too expensive and saved only for the good times.  Escoffier had the audacious idea to gussy it up with green beans and potatoes.  He was born in Villeneuve-Loubet, on the other side of the Loup river and got his knuckles rapped for not being a legitimate Nií§ois.

Funny, my friend (who asked about the salad) just got back from Nice (she stayed with Magdalena), and mentioned that the Nií§oise salad she had there did not have haricots verts or cooked potatoes.

(I suspect the Var was the tougher of the two bodies of water to cross.) :)

People driving between Nice and Villeneuve-Loubet are often surprised to see this:

hotelLetape29.jpg

on the opposite side of the road from this:

58_1309268032.jpg

Okay, I officially want to go back to France.

• Like 1

now you should make some so I can come and order a plate!

Bistro Bis has it on the lunch and brunch menus for $18.50--seared fancy-dancy tuna and all--but I haven't had it so can't vouch for the quality.  Montmartre used to have an excellent version but not anymore, apparently.

I can vouch for the quality.

Johnny's Half Shell on the hill, Bistro Bis also on the hill; then again I been gone for 6 months so maybe I should stick to the NOLA travel board

If there is a better Salade Nicoise in the metropolitan area than the one I had today at Bistro Bis for lunch, it has thus far eluded me.

• Like 1

Bistrot du Coin has a very disappointing Nicoise.  PassionFish in Reston has an exemplery one.  One of the worst I ever had was on the harbor in Monaco.  E20 or so and it was awful.  So bad that it made the memorable setting even more memorable.

We were in Nice seven or eight years ago and I had three different Nicoises, searching for the best and believing I had done the research to find it.

We found Great bouillibasse, great bourride and mediocre Nicoise.

Having said all this, one of the most spectacularly beautiful places on earth.  The drive from San Remo down the coast to Marseilles is incredible.  The Negresco is a hotel of great character....and a pussycat who holds court wherever she likes.