TMB - Rockville Pike Lunch Club

DanielK

I just moved to my new office today on the Pike directly across from lovely White Flint Mall. So now I need to become our office's resident expert on all things lunch. Please advise.

And, since I'm wheelless (one or two L's?), I'd be happy to meet up with you Pikers if you'll be within walking distance.

The only place remotely chow-ish walkable from you is Addie's (part of the Black empire), though reports in the last year have not been kind.

I'm assuming you're not interested today since it's your first day, but most days it wouldn't be difficult for one of us to give you a lift to one of our regular haunts, 5-10 minute drive north on the Pike from your location.

• Replies 748
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just moved to my new office today on the Pike directly across from lovely White Flint Mall. So now I need to become our office's resident expert on all things lunch. Please advise.

Is Siena's Pizzeria still operating (corner of Woodglen and Nicholson Ln)? That location started as a franchise branch of "Nancy's", a Chicago-area chain famous for their stuffed pizza. Then about a decade ago, this particular store suddenly evicted most of the topping choices and became Siena's Kosher Vegetarian pizza. The straight tomato-cheese pie remained excellent, but without the option of sausage or pepperoni, I kinda lost interest and haven't been back in years.

Other than the aforementioned Addie's, nearby gourmet dining options are few. Your two nearest good Chinese options are The Vegetable Garden farther up the Pike (vegetarian Chinese tho) and a place whose name I'm blanking on just off of Nicholson Ln behind White Flint...it's in that newer stripmall building they built in the front corner of the parking lot in front of Rodman's Gourmet. Most of the other nearby points-of-interest are specialized. Stella's Bakery is just across Nicholson Ln. Amina Thai (Halal Thai) is probably just outside of walking radius. Beyond that, you might as well exploit Executive Blvd to bypass the Pike and take a short drive to Urban BBQ, El Patio, or maybe La Madeleine.

Is Siena's Pizzeria still operating (corner of Woodglen and Nicholson Ln)? That location started as a franchise branch of "Nancy's", a Chicago-area chain famous for their stuffed pizza. Then about a decade ago, this particular store suddenly evicted most of the topping choices and became Siena's Kosher Vegetarian pizza. The straight tomato-cheese pie remained excellent, but without the option of sausage or pepperoni, I kinda lost interest and haven't been back in years.

Siena's is still there. I've been curious but haven't tried it. Has anyone else been?

I had a hard time believing it was "Kosher Vegetarian", but you're right. I dropped in the other day and was horrified to find a meatless meatball sub on the menu. WTF? Maybe I'll try the straight tomato/cheese pizza, but I'm not even sure if the cheese there is real.

I'll have a large phony baloney pepperoni with extra soy to go please. :o

Next Monday, March 12, 2007, DanielK and I were thinking that the RPLC should meet at Arirang (if I were more smarter, I would link you to the thread on it, but I'm not very smart). The address is:

Arirang

1326 E. Gude Drive

Rockville, MD 20847

(301) 279-0023

Time TBD by those attending!

I'm in, of course. Time doesn't matter to me, though I remember that JPW always prefers 11:30 for Monday RPLC meetings...
Indeed, I have meeting every Monday at 1. Normally, I'd be more than willing to blow it off occasionally, but it's MY meeting.

Bump. Monday 11:30am.

So far:

smokey

DanielK

xcanuck

Scott Johnston

JPW

Next Monday, March 12, 2007, DanielK and I were thinking that the RPLC should meet at Arirang (if I were more smarter, I would link you to the thread on it, but I'm not very smart). The address is:

Arirang

1326 E. Gude Drive

Rockville, MD 20847

(301) 279-0023

Next Monday (March 19th) at a very special RPLC......

We will be congregating at Bob's Shabu Shabu at 11:30 am (right JPW) to have lunch featuring Lion Head Meatballs and other items. I told Bob we would be 6-7 of us. DanielK, its your birthday, so you will be singing the karaoke (just kidding)! Let us know if you can make it!

We will be congregating at Bob's Shabu Shabu at 11:30 am (right JPW) to have lunch featuring Lion Head Meatballs and other items. I told Bob we would be 6-7 of us. DanielK, its your birthday, so you will be singing the karaoke (just kidding)! Let us know if you can make it!

Lion Head Meatballs????? I'm definitely in!! Nice work arranging for this, Scott!

Bump.

Scott Johnston

DanielK

xcanuck

JPW

smokey ?

Anyone else? The more the merrier!